Home
So headed to Cheyenne mtn shooting complex that's ran by ft Carson mwr. So get set up get to shooting their is a kid bench over obvious he is a joe in the Army shooting a brand new savage axis. His target is at 25yds and it's one of those zombie pig targets. He's shooting away. Then he asks rso to check his group out the rso exclaims yeah dude your scope is broke. So I take a look at his target hhmmm horizontal stringing ok. So cease fire we are walking to look at targets ask the kid what kind of ammo you shooting? He replies oh some reloads I picked up at a gunshow, then goes onto say yeah my scope broke after 10 shots. I told him go buy some federal blue box and try it again. Kid just looked at me with a dumb look grabbed his target hot footing it to sportsman warehouse. One day I'm going to get property so I can have my own shooting range.
Sound idea.

I've lately been thinking of the same thing.
I was just looking at a piece of property that borders the national forest. There sure are some idiots out there now days. No wonder they want to take our guns away..
What I like the most guys with 7mags or any rifle just shooting fast as they can... Barrels screaming ass hot..... Then they have their ballistic charts out " yeah xx inches low at 400yds" me hey have you chronographed that load huh what's Chronograph oh boy never mind.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I was just looking at a piece of property that borders the national forest. There sure are some idiots out there now days. No wonder they want to take our guns away..

Ah [bleep] folks with pistols the worse. Failure to feed turn pistol sideways pointed my direction ah [bleep] going to meet my maker at the shooting range. When I see that I get up and take a break.
I don't have to deal with idiots out here. But it pisses me the heck off, to have to go out and shoo the cows away from rubbing on the 4,5,6 and 700 yard gongs.....
Originally Posted by 79S

Ah [bleep] folks with pistols the worse. Failure to feed turn pistol sideways pointed my direction ah [bleep] going to meet my maker at the shooting range. When I see that I get up and take a break.

That and the AR guys. Pray and spray buddy, pray and spray!!!
You see all kinds, the other day I went to the local range over lunch to test fire a few new loads. It isn't much, just a place to shoot on some county owned land. In the middle of my session in drives a red convertible mustang and I thought what yahoo is this.
Turns out it's an 81 year old man who just bought a Springfield Armory compact .45 for his own birthday present the day before. He wanted to try it out before roadtripping through WY and MT this fall.
I thought when I'm 81 I wanna be like you.
79, I'm an NRA Cert. RSO. My job is RANGE SAFETY OFFICER, not a coach to check targets or equipment problems other than specifically safety related, which calls for a range wide Cease Fire. I'm only cert. on a rifle range and DO NOT allow pistols or revolvers (I do allow single shot handguns on sand bags at my discretion however) on my watch. I have been called a "Range Nazi" and so be it however with that said I still have my share of horror stories, but no accidents. Please all remember the 2 rules, BE SAFE and HAVE FUN.- BTW my day in the local barrel is tomorrow.-Muddy
Originally Posted by 79S

That sums up most of the shooting ranges I've been in SoCal. Guys spraying their ARs with random hits all over their zombie targets.. There are a few odd bench rest guys who are really good, though. Lots of cheap equipment abound.

Eric
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I don't have to deal with idiots out here. But it pisses me the heck off, to have to go out and shoo the cows away from rubbing on the 4,5,6 and 700 yard gongs.....

Man, thats rough! laugh

smile smile smile

I gotta watch for ATVs coming up the beach, infringing on the back-stop picture before I get enough snow to use the Bravo to get out alone across the tundra to a hillbank. No gongs tho, nor chronographs- just those 4X4 pieces of cardboard out to 300 yards.

After that I've a fair idear.... to 500. smile
You need to electrify the gongs Don.

I'm fairly certain cows are attracted to gunfire.
you may be onto something.....

[Linked Image]
Years ago we bought what we call the North Ranch, it had a chip seal air strip 3600' long on it, we didn't need an airport so i made a 1000 yard shooting range out of the old airport, we have had a lot of fun shooting there over the years. rio7
a range I go to occasionally was closed for a while because a house a mile behind it had a bullet go through a patio door and Imbed into a wall.
Turned out a local law enforcement guy and his buddy set up a human silouhette target at 100 yds and proceded to let wholly hell loose with their ar15s. They set it up in front of a berm but it was so high they were skipping many off the top of the berm. Word was there was a good sized u shaped notch cut out. Luckily one of the shooters was related to the homeowner so apologees were easier to make. The range now has steel panels angled up over the berm and is reopened. Still....that homeowner has to wonder every time he hears shooting how safe he is from another idiot.
those dem's came to collect your guns
No wonder they want to take our guns away..

Has nothing to do with why they want our guns.
I often see guys at the range sighting in rifles from the off hand position.
I reckon this is the worst I have to deal with....grin
maybe 79s should try it. only an hour away.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Man you are lucky man for sure. 1. You don't live in the rat race of Colorado Springs, 2.have a sweet shooting range... An hour away give me directions smile again you are lucky man.
You want backroad or pavement directions?
The bishes rubbed off the crossbar of the 400 yarder. You'll have to put it back up.....

[Linked Image]
79S. Look into Ben Lomond Gun Club. We have a 560 acre place north of Ramah. It's a ways out but safe and you want run into as many crazies. Best if you shoot during the week though. See BLgc.org for Chapeter meeting places.
Thanks guys I go to verify loads or work up load data, not shoot the [bleep] out of targets with whatever. Oh and the guys that still fumble with guns during a cease fire kills me as well. One day some poor sap is going to get shot in the ol ass and say good bye to the cheyenne mtn shootign complex cause Fort Carson will shut it When I leave the rso go leaving already I'm like yeah I'm done some of these folsk scare me. Liek yesterday some ladies shootign next to me gun would fail to feed she would turn it towards the guy on the next bench I was like wtf. I also like to set up a chronograph and not play 50 question survey either.

Either one will be fine smile
I've related this story a couple times but it's been quite awhile.

Belonged to the largest gun club in this area for quite awhile. Got tired of the yahoos who acted like complete idiots on the range so I tried to shoot on weekdays when possible.

One day I show up at the 100 yard range and no one is there so I set up at one of the 20+ shooting benches away from the center so as to have some room if someone else shows up.

Wouldn't you know it, some a-hole shows up with a plastic rifle and sets up on a bench right next to me! And he has his 11 or 12 year old kid with him who he isn't watching at all.

In spite of his brass showering me every time he shoots, I try to get back to working up a load for my rifle. I look through my scope and just as I'm about to put pressure on the trigger I see something move through my scope. I quickly look up and the A-hole's kid has run out in front of my bench during live fire and picked up some of dad's brass just as I was about to fire. Would have taken off the top half of his head. I was so darned shook up, I quickly went over and gave the A-hole a very large piece of my mind and called him a few choice words regarding his parenting skills.
Packed up and never went back to that range and cancelled my membership. This was just one of many problems I had at that range during my time of membership. It just seemed to be getting more and more frequent as time went on and membership was rising.

Most of the free public land ranges around here have closed due to a-holes shooting up everything in sight- garbage cans, fence posts, portable bathrooms, etc.... Probably just too stupid or cheap to bring their own targets...

Bob
At a public range in CA, I was downrange during a ceasefire, and a boy ~8yo sits at the bench at fires a .22 downrange. His dad and another adult were BS-ing and not watching the kid. I told the father teaching kids was good, but he needed to pay attention.

The rangemaster, who was BS-ing in the clubhouse, instead of supervising, came out & ripped the father a new butthole. About 5 minutes too late, of course frown

glad I moved.
A crowded morning at our range...

[Linked Image]

That allows just about everybody in Wyoming to shoot all at once, doesn't it.?
Originally Posted by 79S

Either one will be fine smile

You need to wait until I can go and take me along!
The place I shoot at occasionally, has it' share of idiots, for sure, but they run a pretty tight ship. When the range is called cold for target inspection, putting up new, or whatever, the benches are vacant. Folks not interested on going down range are instructed to step back from the benches until everyone is back in place. I'm a little slower than I used to be, so I take a spotter to look the target(s) over.

My biggest gripe is that over the years I have come about some nice rifles that the average younger shooter doesn't recognize. Some are custom.,with a little engraving. Some are just something one does not see every day. One of those is a heavy barrel Marlin 336 in .219 Zipper. I thought they wouldn't notice, but even the RSO got into the 20 questions game. Puts a lot of pressure on the old guy behind the trigger, but so far I have survived. Yes, I know, I should expect that.

Then one day I pulled out a Blaser Prestige with two barrels. That one all but shut down the range. I had swapped some scopes around and just wanted to set the sights.

The best time to go is mid week when the 8-5 crowd is at work. My kids own a good bit of country, so I usually wait and take a portable set up out there. But three or five hours is too far to go just to shoot one in.

Like others, with the mentioned one exception, I have given up on public ranges. Just too many pray and spray types. I have a Mini-14, but I don't recall ever going out with other than a 5 round magazine. We usually take a loaded 20 rounder along to the ranch in case we jump a herd of hogs.

Good shooting,

Jack
yetti, it's longish walk to paint gongs. We'll let you ride the fourwheeler to do it, in light of your present affliction....grin

grin
Eh76, that's not fair! cry grin
Originally Posted by 79S

The ones that piss me off the most are the AK crowd...

They spray cheap Foreign ammo, and don't even bother praying...

they just wanna get their rocks off, hearing the fast boomboomboom....raining brass on everyone to their right, and turning brand new target stands into tooth picks at 10 yds...

then leave their brass and trash all over the place and pack up and go home, letting someone else clean up after them...
Sweet Keith!

we have a decent local range... but right now, it is a week before hunting season... so this time of year it is a real zoo as the locals come in and pay their $7 range fee, to go out blasting with their new 700 Remchester Magnum.. clueless to safety procedures or range ettiquette.. and really don't GAF if they do or don't...

just safer to stay away 2 to 3 weeks before hunting season.. especially on the weekends...
yetti, it's longish walk to paint gongs. We'll let you ride the fourwheeler to do it, in light of your present affliction....grin

As soon as I'm up or it, I'll let you know!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We used to have a (pretty big for a) heeler who would have loved that job. He would have been quite proud to keep all them bossies down at the far corner of the pasture as long as you needed him to.
Originally Posted by 79S

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Man you are lucky man for sure. 1. You don't live in the rat race of Colorado Springs, 2.have a sweet shooting range... An hour away give me directions smile again you are lucky man.

79S -
Check out Ben Lomond Gun Club. 1500+ members I believe and yet I often have the ranges to myself. The long range goes out to 600.

Huntsman -
If you need help knocking the paint off those gongs, or reducing the p-dog population, I'm nearby and willing to help. smile
CH, come on out.....I have to be honest. I have the pasture puppies purty well cleaned out.....

If you are a good shot, you can still shoot at the 400 yd gong without chousing cows away. However, if ya miss high, ya bought a beef...grin

[Linked Image]

more zoom..
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

We used to have a (pretty big for a) heeler who would have loved that job. He would have been quite proud to keep all them bossies down at the far corner of the pasture as long as you needed him to.

Yeah? is he for hire? Mine is fat and lazy. All he wants to do is hang out with turkeys, and ride the quad....

[Linked Image]

That pic of the turkeys on the quad reminds me of times past. Had an old Harley with some of the wiring was a little exposed in places. A roadrunner was perched on the back fender pulling the wires out of the tail light. Did a pretty good job of it too. Wasn't pleased as that was my ride at the time.
Don it looks like it is about turkey butchering time at your house.
couple more weeks...
Mine is fat and lazy. All he wants to do is hang out with turkeys, and ride the quad....

[Linked Image]

...probably doesn't even gas it up when he brings it back...
I remember once at a rifle range in FT Hood, TX we were shooting M16s and the E-5 in the range tower said CEASE FIRE over the intercom, all of us stopped and placed our rifles in the v notch stake, with the exception of another E-5 who kept firing. The order CEASE FIRE was given over the intercom once more and the E-5 fired a couple more rounds and put his rifle in the v notch stake. The E-5 in the range tower started talking to him over the intercom and in a respectful tone said, "I said cease fire"
The E-5 started arguing with him and with in a few seconds our CO got on the intercom and yelled "GET YOUR A** OFF THE FIRING LINE NOW!
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Yeah? is he for hire? Mine is fat and lazy. All he wants to do is hang out with turkeys, and ride the quad....

Used to have.

Been deceased nearly thirty years.

My younger brother used to sit at the house and send the heeler (his dog) out after the milking herd, about a half mile out and the other side of a big hill.

Ten minutes later, in a huge cloud of dust and flopping udders, in comes the whole herd at a dead run. Besides the obvious effects such things have on a herd of Holstein milk cows, the dog never bothered to learn where the gates were. He would just push the herd over and through whatever fence happened to be between the cows and home.

Damned heeler pointed pheasant also. Only thing he liked better than chewing on a cow was hunting birds.
mine is a pointer, too......

[Linked Image]
LOL That's cheating.
Originally Posted by eh76
A crowded morning at our range...

[Linked Image]

That's enough for every citizen of WY to have two!! laugh

Mike
The public range at my club is only 200 yards long. The range officers are not exactly spring chickens though, so if you want to go out to set targets at 200 yards you need to wear a supplied ORANGE VEST so that they can see you!
© 24hourcampfire