Home
Rule out the following cartridges

30-06

Project rifle is a Remington 700 ADL

pick a different cartridge
To be used for what?
26 Nosler

Since you live in a state where you could stretch it out.

Mike
6mm/06
.25/06
6.5-.284 Norma
.280AI
.338/06
Whelan
9.3X62

The first one for fun, the fourth one for everything.
6.5-06AI
.257-3006 Niedner 17 degree 30 minute shoulder.

Generally a very accurate chambering in most rifles, I've had three, all Rugers by coincidence, and it shot great in two of them, the third was from the early 80's and was one of those old Wilson barreled dogs so I don't hold that against the round. It throws 120 grain bullets very fast, 100 grain deer bullets very very fast and lighter bullets hyper fast without eating up too much powder. You can load it down to Roberts velocities very easily and maintain good accuracy.

Low to moderate recoil and ammo is widely available (albeit the boxes could be mislabeled .25-06 or something). If you can't find cases you can make them from other widely available cases.

Only drawback to some might be the lack of super slippery bullets for that 1000 yard shooting but it was whacking prairie dogs out to 400-500 yards in the 70's and even before with the bullets and barrels available then, and the latest tubes and bullets have only made it better.
240 Weatherby
26 Nosler, but you need a long action Magnum bolt face to build it. Think 129 ABLR's at 3400 fps. BC of around .571 for some serious long range fun. Berger bullets with BC of over .6 and you'll really ring some long range gongs.
This is going to be my next build and you can do it on a Rem. 700 Magnum ADL action.

Bob
Originally Posted by 16bore
6.5-06AI

6.5-280AI
My action is a standard long non-magnum
Then 6.5-06 is the logical answer. Still great selection of high BC bullets, moderate recoil, lots of potential.

Of course, a standard bolt face can easily be machined out to magnum size by a decent gunsmith. wink

Bob
240 Weatherby, 1-8" twist.
Everyone needs a least one 25-06.
Depends on use.

For long range and lighter big game the .25-06 is boring, but very hard to beat (even the .257 WBY is only slightly ahaed of the .25-06).

Anything above .25 caliber and below .30 caliber is just a repeat of the rejected .270/.30-06 you mentioned.

In the semi-big bore range it would be cool and very effective in the 9.3x62mm. Near light .375 H&H performance in a standard action.

If you lean toward the "rifle looney" edge, the .338-06 would be interesting.....or go "historical" looney with the .400 Whelen.

Even though I'm not a big fan of .24 caliber rifles, there is something very appealing about the .240 Weatherby someone else suggested. Standard bolt face.....with a belt. Now that's a looney's dream.
25-06 or 280AI

BTDT on the 6-06 and 6.5-06, might as well went back with a 25-06 and 270 instead.
So far the
.280AI
338-06
9.3x62

Have my interest
That 700 ADL is the bottom of the barrel gun design wise.

Instead pick a better design.

Such designs are by Mauser, Kimber, Winchester, Ruger, FN.

Also you don't need to "build" a gun. Buy one already made.

As to the cartridge you have ruled out two of the best and most popular ones so you must already have those?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by tedthorn
So far the
.280AI
338-06
9.3x62

Have my interest

280AI just buy the Montana in the classifieds and be done.
Says it's Sold to Sonora.
Whew, that was a close one.......
'Course there is a 270 Tucky for $950 too. But they suck, especially with 110's at ~3,400.
6.5-06AI

This. And trip the .270 and .30-06
6.5-06AI

This. And trip the .270 and .30-06
7�57
6.5�57
7�64
So far the
.280AI
338-06
9.3x62

Have my interest

280AI just buy the Montana in the classifieds and be done.

I see your point and yes its gone but I own 3 Kimbers and I am done with them
Originally Posted by Savage_99

As to the cartridge you have ruled out two of the best and most popular ones so you must already have those?

[Linked Image]

I have Rugers Kimbers and have sold all my Mausers

I have severl 700's these have given me no more or no less problems then any of the above

As for already have....yes....three rifles in 30-06 and two .270's

Action in hand and I want something different
fast twist 270
Oof, no likey?

I have one in theory, as in its under my bench waiting for a rainy day to monkey with it.

What's your plan when its all said and done? Just something different or "task" oriented? LW rig? LR rig? Thumper? Srock? Bullet?
Just different
Well how about retro-cool....You just can't go wrong with a good old 8x57mm Mauser. If you reload(or just buy Euro ammo) it doesn't give up anything to the old 30-06. How many guys do you know with a custom one?
280AI or 240 Weatherby
I like Scott's suggestion of 8" twist .240 Wby, but I think I would go with a 6mm-06 instead, or a 6.5-06.

John
Given a .473 bolt face? 6-06 or .280, AI'd or not.

If you want a "boomer" 9.3x62.

With .270's already in the stable, you have to get some serious mojo to out do the awesome ballistics it shines amazingly well with!

Definitely have to go either large bullet like .375/.400 Whelen or go BIG case capacity like the 26 N!

Otherwise your spending money to try to keep up with what you can already do with 55 grs of powder.

Yes I'm an avid fan of the .270 the closet homo's disparage laugh

Mike
How about a 338-280AI (Chub Eastman's 338BHE) or even a 338 Hawk (338-06 with the shoulder pushed forward).
Just different

If that's the case, then here's my take (flame suit on). With 270's and 30-06's in the rack, you've pretty much covered a 280AI sans 162's. Under 160's both of those will handle business just fine, unless you want less drift for LR pokes. Enter 162's..

Were I wanting somewhat of a thumper on a 700 action, I'd go 338-06 and monkey with some of the high BC Hornady and Lapua 250's, even though your only going to get about 2,500 fps. Drop it in a McSwirly filled accordingly.

If I had a M70 CRF action, then 9.3x62 for nostalgia in a chunk of walnut or McWoody.

But that's my take for a f-off rig.....
After opening up the face.......Can a standard bolt handle the presure the N26 will produce

338-06 or 9.3 would be nice Eland or Zebra medicine
Shouldn't be a problem as the Remingtons have the "3 rings of steel" around the case head and the bolt lugs will take most of the recoil pressure. When they open up the bolt face, the smith is only taking off a small amount. Consult with your gunsmith to see what he thinks.
I've had it done to Model 70's and Rem 700's and never had a problem.

Bob
6.5x284 Norma
Become the shooting fraternity's version of the most interesting man in the world and build a 400 Whelen. grin Second coolest choice would be the 318 Westley Richards.
After opening up the face.......Can a standard bolt handle the presure the N26 will produce

I just bought a 270 on here to be punched out to a 338-06. Just seems like a super versatile round for my big game up here. Not that I couldn't do it with my little .308, but just been itching to won a 338-06 for some time now. Should be a neat little gun when finished.
280AI
6.5-06, 1-8" twist.

It's the same action as a 7 RM, 264,300 Win or Weatherby so yes a Rem 700 will be fine with a magnum bolt face.

You like Africa and will likely go again. With 30/06's and 270's already in the stable,and wanting something different the 9.3 fits Africa better than a 338/06. That's the way I would go if a guy does not already have a 375 H&H.
Will the .375 Ruger work in a standard long action?
Sure I think so but still may need modifications to bolt face, extractor...maybe feeding should be tweaked too

My gut tells me the 9.3 would be easier based on what the action is right now.

Redneck would know.

[Linked Image]

Were you born a rude, ignorant dick-hed, or did you grow into it.

Someone please quote me so the kiddy diddler can see it
Originally Posted by gitem_12

[Linked Image]

grin

I know he has me on ignore also,but so what! laugh
Just wondering. Since the case dimensions of the 9.3x62 and '06 based ones are different at the extractor groove(and overall of course)would the M700 bolt face/extractor need altering? I know I've had to dremel just a bit on my shellholders(same for '06 based ones)to make the 9.3 cases fit because of the groove difference.

http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd3006.jpg

http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd93x62.jpg
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by gitem_12

[Linked Image]

grin

I know he has me on ignore also,but so what! laugh

People never build off 700's. Ever.
Rule out the following cartridges

30-06

Project rifle is a Remington 700 ADL

pick a different cartridge

I asked that very same question with the same action in hand. Went with a 3" 257Roberts in faux TI form.

Lots of rifles came and went while that one will never be sold.
6-06 or 9.3x62
Just different

6.5 Gibbs.

Loads...

Pac nor has the reamer, CH makes the dies....

You said different...
© 24hourcampfire