Home
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

VZ-24 action...Check.
Mark II Trigger...Check.
Swing safety...Check.
New Yugo milsurp barrel...Check.

I was going to put this together myself, but instead it's going to go out to ITD next weekend. When I get it back it will have the barrel installed and be black parkerized...
I'm a fan of the 8x57. Looking forward to seeing your pics when it is done.
It won't be DONE done for a while...I'll probably drop it into a Boyds Classic to see how it shoots. If it does well, I'll be getting my first McMillan...I'm thinking 75% Olive, 15% Black, 10% Woodland Beige...I'll order it in January when I turn 40 and my wife can blame it on a midlife crisis.
Big fan of the 8x57 here. An Erfurt Mauser.

[Linked Image]

In action.

[Linked Image]

One on the right is an 8x57 Walther Mauser, to the left its brother, a 7x57.

[Linked Image]

The brother in action.

[Linked Image]

I suggest CFE223 powder. It is what we used in Africa in 2011 with the 180 gr Nosler BT.
Killed my first Kudu with an iron sighted custom 8x57....nowadays even better bullets are available for it. The horn 195 comes to mind.

Good to great cartridge.
Love my 98
They do good work, I have one in a Ruger 77. Wouldn't mind a lighter version in an McMillan Edge on a SUCKS action.
Originally Posted by Taconic11
Love my 98

I have 3 right now...the 8x57 I'm getting built on a VZ-24, a Mod.98 in 30-06 that I bedded in a vintage Fajen stock(thinking about getting that one bored out to 9.3x62) and a 1917 DWM Gew.98 action that I'm getting sported right now that will be a ????(thinking Bob or Swede or .264 Win Mag, who knows? no rush on that one).
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Love my 98

I have 3 right now...the 8x57 I'm getting built on a VZ-24, a Mod.98 in 30-06 that I bedded in a vintage Fajen stock(thinking about getting that one bored out to 9.3x62) and a 1917 DWM Gew.98 action that I'm getting sported right now that will be a ????(thinking Bob or Swede or .264 Win Mag, who knows? no rush on that one).

A 6.5Swede, an 8, and a 9.3 - Have you been eating lingon berry pancakes and Swedish meatballs for a week or two straight?
Originally Posted by Rovering
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Love my 98

A 6.5Swede, an 8, and a 9.3 - Have you been eating lingon berry pancakes and Swedish meatballs for a week or two straight?

Not at all...although I bet they would make for some dandy kolache...

Things continue to fall into place, I just located 4 boxes of Wolf Gold 196gr SP ammo(repackaged CIP spec PRIVI)...$17 a box, hard to buy good brass for that price...
Steelie did you rebarrel or did Ruger chamber the 8 at one time? powdr
© 24hourcampfire