Home
Posted By: Tarkio Restocking Wby Mark V Question - 10/20/14
I have a Weatherby Mark V chambered in 270 Wby with their plastic stock. Shot this rifle a fair amount and it has taken a fair amount of animals over the years.

Never cared for the plastic cheap stocks weatherby used so I picked up an original Weatherby laminate stock. Now I am considering installing the laminate.

Considering this to provide a little stouter stock and definitely a more attractive package.

What is the collective opinion on restocking with a laminate versus a plastic? Looks like there is a pressure point on the forearm of the stock. Currently, the barrel is not free and it shoots fairly well. Thoughts on the pressure for a Weatherby?
I own several wby markV rifles and every one of them shot a bit better groups once I rebedded then with the receivers & barrels supported for about 3" forward of the receivers and the barrels free floated a bit off the stock forearm at least enough off the forearm to slide a dollar bill up to with-in 3" of the receiver
I restocked my factory synthetic with an Accumark stock which I bedded the action and chamber area and then free floated the rest. Mine shoots great with very little load work.
Posted By: las Re: Restocking Wby Mark V Question - 10/21/14
Originally Posted by 340mag
I own several wby markV rifles and every one of them shot a bit better groups once I rebedded then with the receivers & barrels supported for about 3" forward of the receivers and the barrels free floated a bit off the stock forearm at least enough off the forearm to slide a dollar bill up to with-in 3" of the receiver

+1

I don't own a Weatherby (and don't want to), but all my rifles are bedded this way except lastyear's rebarreled M98. Used a heavy, '06, 27 inch tube and full length bedded it. It shoots great. Too.

I am not a fan of either pressure points or factory bedding.
© 24hourcampfire