Home
In 338 Win Mag.

Which would you choose and why ?
Remington 700. It will probably be less finicky and won't kick as harshly..
cant go wrong with a 700
Originally Posted by billd
In 338 Win Mag.

Which would you choose and why ?

Both nice, but I'd also look at the M70 EW,
and spend the money saved on better optics !
I am a Kimber fan, but I think I would choose the AWR.

I would much rather have the 24" AWR barrel than the 26" Montana barrel on a 338. (I believe I am right on the lengths, but please confirm)

I also think a little extra weight might not hurt on a 338.

I love carrying the Montana, but find it harder to shoot.

The extra weight on the Remington can't hurt.
Kimber Montana in 338 Federal if I had to have a light 338. This gun takes advantage of the light for caliber copper bullets and doesn't leave as much on the table compared to the 338 Win Mag as you'd initially think. It is likely you'd shoot it better too all else being equal.
I'd go with the AWR also in this case, mostly due to the recoil. Can't say I've heard reports of a Remington Custom Shop rifle that wasn't pretty darn accurate either.
In a 338 I would definitely choose an AWR.
No question, AWR for me.
IMO, the AWR and KS are Remington's two finest productions.

Don't forget the APR either.......... grin

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by SKane
No question, AWR for me.
IMO, the AWR and KS are Remington's two finest productions.

What SKane and every one says. No question.
Just curious, how much is the AWR going for?
No longer made, but I'm assuming the OP might be eye balling the one in the classified's that was around $1100-1200 I believe.
Originally Posted by RDFinn

[Linked Image]

Great looking plains rifle. I worked with one a few years ago in 7 rem mag and it shot very well. Heavier than the AWR but that's for more offhand and off the sticks type shooting.
No longer made, but I'm assuming the OP might be eye balling the one in the classified's that was around $1100-1200 I believe.

What about the AWR II? I found it on the Rem site. Still made? Price?
REM 700 AWR
Originally Posted by Dooger

What about the AWR II? I found it on the Rem site. Still made? Price?

I don't think they're worth the asking price and they no longer come with a McMillan stock. Not sure what the street price is on an AWR II, but I seem to recall their retail being north of $2500.

This one s a 300 WM and I optioned it with a 40X trigger and had them use a 40X barrel blank also. It is extremely accurate.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nah, I purposely left that one out. laugh
© 24hourcampfire