Home
Posted By: killindeer remington xmark trigger - 10/26/14
had my gunsmith lighten the trigger. gonna take it out today and shoot it. seems everyone is replacing this trigger. is it a pos or still unsafe even after being fixed in the recall?
Posted By: ingwe Re: remington xmark trigger - 10/26/14
Its a POS...
Posted By: 1Nut Re: remington xmark trigger - 10/26/14
Originally Posted by ingwe
Its a POS...

Its a POS x2.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: remington xmark trigger - 10/26/14
The ones with the external adjustment screw (God knows what that does) are a complete POS. I have an early one that is a very good trigger, after some polishing and adjusting.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: remington xmark trigger - 10/26/14
Originally Posted by Steelhead
The ones with the external adjustment screw (God knows what that does) are a complete POS. I have an early one that is a very good trigger, after some polishing and adjusting.

I concur with this. The original X-Mark is a decent trigger that can be made great with some work. The X-Mark Pro (external adjustment) is not nearly as desirable, nor as tuneable.
Posted By: killindeer Re: remington xmark trigger - 10/26/14
mines the dreaded xmark pro. ill c how i like it today. will probably order a timney 510 anyway tho
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: remington xmark trigger - 10/26/14
Boggles the mind doesn't it? I am not a huge Savage accutrigger fan but they work and owners seem to love them for the most part. Ruger has addressed trigger complaints with improvements. Tikka gets the most vocal praise in every venue for their triggers. I am crazy over my CZ trigger. With so much competition I am floored Remington can't produce THE perfect trigger. They have more money than anyone to get it right. I love my 700 but dang I can see why people cuss the company at times.

Can anyone tell me about the Winchester MOA trigger?
Posted By: ingwe Re: remington xmark trigger - 10/26/14
Ive got a new FN Winchester with an MOA trigger, and its OK. The only real complaint Ive had or heard is that in order to adjust it you have to remove some nuclear level hardened goo they've put on the adjusting screw.
Otherwise OK

I had my first Rem Xmark trigger ( without the screw through the trigger) go from 4 to 16 pounds overnight, had two with the screw break at the screw...one before the rifle was ever fired....

They have all been summarily removed and replaced with old style rem. triggers, which always work fine as long as you clean them every 25 years or so...
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Boggles the mind doesn't it? I am not a huge Savage accutrigger fan but they work and owners seem to love them for the most part. Ruger has addressed trigger complaints with improvements. Tikka gets the most vocal praise in every venue for their triggers. I am crazy over my CZ trigger. With so much competition I am floored Remington can't produce THE perfect trigger. They have more money than anyone to get it right. I love my 700 but dang I can see why people cuss the company at times.

Can anyone tell me about the Winchester MOA trigger?

They can design the perfect trigger the bean counters and lawyers keep preventing it. My favorite is the original flat-safety trigger. Soooo simple to make a crisp, creep free 2# trigger. There was nothing wrong with the pre X-Mark triggers except for jokers who had no idea and no business playing with adjustments.
I replaced mine and very happy i did.
Posted By: K1500 Re: remington xmark trigger - 10/26/14
I replaced one of the original X-Mark (without the hole in the triggers face) with a Timney because I didn't want to send the gun in. The pull was pretty good on the X-mark, great on the Timney. I would have left the X-Mark in if it had not been subject to a recall.

I also had to replace an old style Walker trigger that would do the 'Remington moment' thing, despite being clean and free of gunk. It looks like a prior owner 'tuned' the trigger and probably lightened the pull weight a bit too much. Rather than fix it, it gave me more peace of mind to replace it. It never went bang, but it did go click several times while doing safety checks. Even a click when you remove the safety can tighten the sphincter up a bit.

The Timney was better than the 'tuned' Walker, but the tuned walker was pretty good (better than the X-Mark). It is my understanding that the design of the Timney physically prevents the 'Remington moment' thing from happening. I am glad I replaced both of them.
Posted By: killindeer Re: remington xmark trigger - 10/26/14
are the timneys easy to install? i looked at a couple videos on youtube and seems fairly easy
Super easy. Take the rifle out of the stock, two pins out, two pins in and basically done. You have to adjust the bolt release tab with some needle nose pliers, but that is easy too. Both triggers came out to be the same feel and weight with no adjustment needed. I believe some stocks may need a bit of fitting for the wider trigger blade, but neither of mine did.
I got a first year XMark in my LTR .308. It's been crisp and light from the start so been loathe to change it. The dang thing has rarely shot over .5 w any load.

Hate to mess with success, but it's prolly gonna be my primary rifle for a CO elk hunt next fall w my brother. Part of its overhaul will likely be a flat Timney.

Just because of [bleep] doubts about safety...

Haha! The sites filter just edited a common word into a bleep because it apparently feared it was a racial epithet. TFF!
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984
Just because of [bleep]-ing doubts about safety...

There is nothing unsafe about it. Also, muzzle control is the ONLY TRUE safety.
Originally Posted by killindeer
had my gunsmith lighten the trigger. gonna take it out today and shoot it. seems everyone is replacing this trigger. is it a pos or still unsafe even after being fixed in the recall?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Magnum_Man Re: remington xmark trigger - 10/26/14
x-mark on my 700 HB Police model 308 1 hole groups with the right load. Haven't go a clue why I'd mess with it. Magnum Man
Posted By: bcraig Re: remington xmark trigger - 10/26/14
I have one of the XMark Pro that came on a Remington Long Range rifle.
Just scraped glue on trigger weight screw and lightened it,also backed out the screw in trigger some but still kept tension on it.
Sear engagement screw aint gonna turn come hell or highwater,really glued in.
1.75 pound nice crisp trigger pull was the result.
put fingernail polish on trigger pull weight adjustment screw .
Over 100 pulls of the trigger and it hasn,t changed yet,Maybe I just got lucky with getting a trigger that the sear angles are right?
I had planned on getting a Timney or changing out triggers on another older Rem 700 7mag with a Walker trigger but cant see the point with this one working so well.
Based on this experience of one I would say to give it a try before getting rid of it from the get go.

Originally Posted by ingwe

They have all been summarily removed and replaced with old style rem. triggers, which always work fine as long as you clean them every 25 years or so...

Ain't that the truth.......

Casey
Originally Posted by K1500

I also had to replace an old style Walker trigger that would do the 'Remington moment' thing, despite being clean and free of gunk. It looks like a prior owner 'tuned' the trigger and probably lightened the pull weight a bit too much. Rather than fix it, it gave me more peace of mind to replace it. It never went bang, but it did go click several times while doing safety checks. Even a click when you remove the safety can tighten the sphincter up a bit.

"Fix it"?.........Just adjust it........it's kinda' like the pressure in your tires--A guy doesn't go buy new tires if the pressure in one drops a few pounds...

I guess the best thing about the CNBC hatchet job on Remington is that it has kept a few dummies from messing with the M700 triggers.

A few years ago I bought a M700 barreled action and the sear engagement was about a third of what it should be, and the trigger pull was lightened too. It took maybe 1 1/2 lbs trigger pressure to drop the firing pin. As soon as I bought it I brought to my 'smith for a new barrel and told him to try the trigger--he about had a heart attack.

Casey
Ya I know all it really need was a turn of the screw, but given the unknown provenance of the trigger I was just a bit more comfortable swapping it out. I still have it and may use it in another 700 with the X-Mark Pro.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: remington xmark trigger - 10/26/14
There is nothing wrong with the new trigger design from a safety standpoint. They have a reputation as being a poor trigger. Can't say, I've never owned one. The current recall is because adhesive dripped into the trigger housings of some guns during assembly. They are simply inspecting the triggers, cleaning or replacing those that have adhesive in them and returning them. New triggers are not being placed in most guns returned.

The old style trigger could be a very crisp trigger, but is a flawed design that could discharge at any time without any trigger pull.

It has nothing to do with being dirty or how it is adjusted. The old style triggers will, and have discharged when brand new, perfectly clean and with pull weights approaching double digits. The problem lies with a design that will at times simply fail.

Anyone who says differently has no idea of the internal workings of the 1946-2006 Walker designed trigger. If you take the time to understand how the trigger works, and understand that no other trigger uses the same design it is plain as day where the flaw is. Remingtons own people were the first to discover the problem and urged management to make a design change in 1946. This is not an issue of simply having a few guns get through with a manufacturing defect. It is a design flaw that is in every single trigger.

Just because your gun is 30-40 years old and has never caused a problem means nothing. My rifle was 20 years old and had never had a single issue until it dropped the firing pin with no trigger pull 3 times in the same day. The gun was as clean as it is possible to have a hunting rifle, and the trigger has never been touched since leaving the factory in 1974.

That was almost 20 years ago and it has not repeated the problem. The internal parts in the trigger simply lined up right to allow the problem and have not done so again. Any rifle with the same trigger is just as likely to do the same as mine regardless of how clean it is or how it is adjusted.
C'mon man, that's bullchit. Anytime?
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: remington xmark trigger - 10/26/14
The first XMark seems to be a pretty good trigger for me. Easy to adjust and no problems so far.
Posted By: K1500 Re: remington xmark trigger - 10/27/14
JMR40. That's what mine did. 3x same day, 5x the next and then I couldn't get it to do it again. To the best of my knowledge, there are actually 2 issues with the Walker trigger. One is the pull weight can be adjusted so low that the trigger fails to return when pulled. If you pull the trigger with the safety on and it doesn't return, the gun will discharge when the safety is removed.

The other issue is the connector that can cause the gun to discharge when taking the safety off even if the trigger was not pulled. The symptom is the same (discharge when removing the safety), but the root cause is different.

The x mark is the adhesive issue and ironically causes the gun to discharge when the safety is removed. So there are three modes of failure and two different trigger designs and they all cause the gun to go bang when removing the safety.

I will say that I was a bit of a doubter before mine did it. I knew there was the possibility, but it seemed remote. It is way less remote when it happens to you, regardless of the root cause.
Here we go....again...

Originally Posted by JMR40

The old style trigger could be a very crisp trigger, but is a flawed design that could discharge at any time without any trigger pull.

Give me a example when that has happened......documented......

Casey
© 24hourcampfire