Home
do tell.....
150 gr .277 LRAB, launched out of a 270 WSM Montana. Shot this bull at about 100 yards IIRC. Bull barely reacted to being shot and trotted off with the herd. Never found a single drop of blood luckily still found him piled up about 150 yards away.

In all honesty i didn't perform a bullet CSI so I can't tell you what happened, even with help I didn't get the meat and head back to the truck until 2am.

[Linked Image]
Nice bull. You still using them? I've "heard" questionable performance with them, but you know how the Internet is.
Thanks, I'm not currently using them and I'm not really planning on it.

I've also read they are a little questionable at higher speeds. At 100 yards the LRAB was probably right around 3,000 FPS so maybe it zooked but that is 100% pure speculation. I should have done some more investigation work but I knew we had a long way back to the truck so we butchered it quickly.

Sorry I can't give you anything concrete, I would give them another chance but currently I'm working on a load using the 110TTSX and I keep saying I'll eventually rebarrel to 7WSM.

IIRC do you have a .270WSM? I think I have some LRAB left I could toss your way.
Montana, but I haven't monkeyed with it yet. I'm sitting on 300 of those things and have a feeling they'll most likely be for ringing steel. I prefer Barnes for groceries.

We shall see....
I bet they'll turn out to make great LR bullets for 100-500lb stuff , especially when launched at moderate speeds. I'd love to try out the 129gr 6.5mm version at 2,850fps in a .260Rem.
I literally hated that Nosler went the Long Range(?) route with the .284 150 AB. 150's are my favorite weight in my 280's. Why didn't they make the plain jane AB 150 to put in line with the 140 & 160's? mad frown

So, I'm likely switching to Lapua Scenar's. If I do, I'll have 1000's of Accubonds for sale.
They shot well outta my vanilla M70. More intrigued by the Montana platform than the chambering....

[Linked Image]
Reloder 28,

The reason Nosler didn't (and doesn't) make a "plain jane AB 150" 7mm is they tested both the 150 Ballistic Tip and some protoype 150 AccuBonds thoroughly, and couldn't find any difference in terminal performance. The reason is that the 150 BT is one of the heavier-jacketed AccuBonds, so already retains a lot of weight.

This is also exactly why they don't make a 100-grain .25 AccuBond: Thorough testing couldn't find any difference in results. But they did find a 110-grain AccuBond penetrated a little deeper, and was about as long as the standard 1-10 twist in .25 calibers could stabilize, so they made them.

In fact, they didn't see any particular reason to bond a really long-range bullet, because at long-range impact velocities there's really no need. But so many people kept asking for them they decided to comply, Apparently a lot of hunters see some sort of magic in the word "bonded."

Now, of course, some of the same people use them at short range, and then wonder if a ABLR was was the right choice, because the animals they shot didn't fall instantly, like they do on Internet posts or TV hunting shows. So they're going to switch to a stouter bullet with a lower BC, which they could have used in the first place.

Why don[t you try some 150-grain Ballistic Tips?
[quote=TexasTBag]150 gr .277 LRAB, launched out of a 270 WSM Montana. Shot this bull at about 100 yards IIRC. Bull barely reacted to being shot and trotted off with the herd. Never found a single drop of blood luckily still found him piled up about 150 yards away.

In all honesty i didn't perform a bullet CSI so I can't tell you what happened, even with help I didn't get the meat and head back to the truck until 2am.

Shoulder shot, heart and lungs, broadside, quartering away or toward, complete pass through?

Surely you must have at least some of this info. For all we know the elk may have been gut shot.

Don't you know here on the campfire it is operator error unless you can prove otherwise. laugh

Shod
I have some 7mm 150's loaded for a 7mm-08AI, that I will be taking down the NC for a week of hunting starting Monday. I am guessing (and hoping) They will kill a whitetail without too much fuss. I guess I will know soon enough.
I killed a doe last yr with one out of my 280 (150gr/2875mv), she was at 250yds and had a nickle sized exit wound, never took another step.

Sample of 1, but no complaints
I bought 200 of the .277 150g Accubond LR bullets. Haven't tried them yet. Our 270s are loaded up with our tried and true 150g Partitions.
Originally Posted by colorado
I bought 200 of the .277 150g Accubond LR bullets. Haven't tried them yet. Our 270s are loaded up with our tried and true 150g Partitions.

If your shooting the 150 partition the 150 LRAB prolly isn't gonna impress you unless your shooting at 500+ yards.

Shod
I thought the Accubonds had a stouter jacket than the Ballistic tip?

No?
Not all Ballistic Tips. Some are built with a lot of jacket. The 200gr .338, 180gr .308, and 168gr .308 are made that way.
Seem's to me that they made that bullet to preform at long range. To preform at long range I would think they'd use a lighter jacket. Let's face it, at long range the velocity is greatly reduced so the bullet seem's be be need made a bit more fragile. American shooter's asked for this stuff and now they got it. Probably need to thank Berger!
Originally Posted by DonFischer
Seem's to me that they made that bullet to preform at long range. To preform at long range I would think they'd use a lighter jacket. Let's face it, at long range the velocity is greatly reduced so the bullet seem's be be need made a bit more fragile. American shooter's asked for this stuff and now they got it. Probably need to thank Berger!

Nosler designed the 150 BT for shorter distances not long range. Hence the reason they made the bullet with a thicker jacket.

Sierra does the same thing with some of there bullets such as a 160 gr game king has a thinner jacket vs a 175 gr that has a very thick jacket. Its actually all penned down for those who like to read. smile

Shod
My 308 is stoked with 150 Accubonds. Never tried the LR version.....
Originally Posted by JPro
Not all Ballistic Tips. Some are built with a lot of jacket. The 200gr .338, 180gr .308, and 168gr .308 are made that way.

Correct! 165 308 BT at 2750 fps impact on water jugs

[Linked Image]
Killed some critters last year with the 210 grain outta a .300 RUM. Liked them OK. mtmuley
Originally Posted by Shodd
[quote=TexasTBag]150 gr .277 LRAB, launched out of a 270 WSM Montana. Shot this bull at about 100 yards IIRC. Bull barely reacted to being shot and trotted off with the herd. Never found a single drop of blood luckily still found him piled up about 150 yards away.

Shoulder shot, heart and lungs, broadside, quartering away or toward, complete pass through?

Surely you must have at least some of this info. For all we know the elk may have been gut shot.

Don't you know here on the campfire it is operator error unless you can prove otherwise. laugh

Shod
grin

He was quartering towards me and I aimed on the shoulder and I actually hit a little in front of the shoulder. Elk was quartering enough that I clipped the front of the heart. No pass through, never found the bullet.

When I opened up the diaphragm it seemed like it was completely filled with blood.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Reloder 28,

Now, of course, some of the same people use them at short range, and then wonder if a ABLR was was the right choice, because the animals they shot didn't fall instantly, like they do on Internet posts or TV hunting shows. So they're going to switch to a stouter bullet with a lower BC, which they could have used in the first place.

Why don[t you try some 150-grain Ballistic Tips?

Not sure but this seems aimed at me. I don't recall ever mentioning the bullet failed or that I expected the elk to drop it its tracks or the reason I'm switching to a TTSX. I just described my short experience with them.

Honestly I came very close to using the exact same load LRAB this year on my elk hunt. I've never used a TTSX on anything and I wanted to give them a shot (pun not intended. :D) Plus the TTSX shot really well in my rifle.
Originally Posted by 16bore
I thought the Accubonds had a stouter jacket than the Ballistic tip?

No?

Nosler's now on the 4th incarnation of the BT. In it's latest life they switched to the heavier jacket they used on the AB, probably to simplify manufacturing. They bond the jacket, give it a different color tip, and call it an Accubond.

I find non-bonded bullets to be more accurate, so the only reason I'm really interested in a bonded LR bullet is for close moving targets with the LR rig.
110 acubond from my 2506 bought 200 yds. Just about broadside. Dead right in his tracks. He just crumbled straight down at the shot

[Linked Image]
That's a nice buck there!
Great picture & great buck! Nicely done Evan.
I have killed 2 whitetails with the 210gr ABLR using a 30-378 wby. The first was a doe shot at 72 yds bullet entered just under her chin and exited the back of her neck. Exit hole was about the size of a football. 2nd deer was a buck at about 230yds, he was quartering hard towards me. Bullet entered right behind the front shoulder and exited the last rib with a hole about the size of a quarter. Buck ran about 80yds and expired. I didn't find blood until the 60yd mark but none the less he wasn't hard to find.
Killed a bull Elk with the 168gr from a 280 AI last week..409 yards uphill bullet clipped the edge of the scapula going in made about an inch and a half bloodshot entrance hole, made an inch hole thru both lungs and did not exit..I really didn't look much for the bullet it was getting late and we needed to get the meat packed out...at the shot the bull lunged up on it's rear legs then walked about 30 yards and fell over dead !
© 24hourcampfire