Home
I snared a Stevens 200 SA 7mm-08 for one of the GKs and want to replace the butt-ugly plastic stock. The center-feed creates limited options and I wonder if anyone has any experience (not just opinions) with their center-feed stocks. Any help appreciated.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Boyd's Thumb-hole Stocks - 11/16/14
If they ain't ambidextrous I'd not want it, assuming it's for a hunting rifle.
Posted By: hunt_4646 Re: Boyd's Thumb-hole Stocks - 11/16/14
Replaced a Savage synthetic stock model 11 center feed 243 with Boyds laminate thumbhole feather weight stock and the fit was perfect. The additional weight was notable. The stock is more attractive and the feel is improved. Accuracy is about the same. Boyds standard recoil pad is just that. It fits but is not that forgiving. No problem on lighter recoiling calibers. If ordering for hard recoil caliber, I would suggest the optional decelerator recoil pad. The shorter length of pull I ordered was exactly what Boyds sent. I found the Boyds information to be exactly what they shipped.
Some people have had problems because they did not read the Boyds literature and measurements. Call Boyds if you have questions.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Boyd's Thumb-hole Stocks - 11/16/14
hunt4646- with the center feed, does it include the magazine or do you need to take the one out of the plastic stock and install in the boyds...and if so how is the inlet there...feeding ok
Hunt 4646
Thanks that's the feedback I was seeking. Hopefully there will be more on topic.

Steelhead
Now we know how you get to 67,786 posts..Off topic and immaterial comments are really of no value to anyone but you. In spite of my request to avoid opinions that have absolutely nothing to do with my post you managed to shoot off your fingers. It's HUNTING RIFLE POST.... therefore one might presume it was in reference to a hunting rifle......pay attention! YOUR desire for ambidextrous rifle stocks is of no matter as I only asked if a BOYD's was satisfactory if anyone ever had experience with one. Obviously, you do not but you still can't help yourself from a comment. Are you here to be a pest or comic relief?
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Boyd's Thumb-hole Stocks - 11/17/14
It's a frigging hunting rifle, yes/no? Why the hell would you want a hunting rifle that couldn't be fired from either shoulder?

I know why, because you have a WHOLE lot of stupid wrapped up in you. Don't worry, I don't expect much from Yankees.

Sweet Jesus you are dumb.
laugh laugh grin
Originally Posted by Old_Doe_Shooter
Hunt 4646
Thanks that's the feedback I was seeking. Hopefully there will be more on topic.

Steelhead
Now we know how you get to 67,786 posts..Off topic and immaterial comments are really of no value to anyone but you. In spite of my request to avoid opinions that have absolutely nothing to do with my post you managed to shoot off your fingers. It's HUNTING RIFLE POST.... therefore one might presume it was in reference to a hunting rifle......pay attention! YOUR desire for ambidextrous rifle stocks is of no matter as I only asked if a BOYD's was satisfactory if anyone ever had experience with one. Obviously, you do not but you still can't help yourself from a comment. Are you here to be a pest or comic relief?

Yeah, but on the other hand, Steely's right.
Posted By: Lorin Re: Boyd's Thumb-hole Stocks - 11/18/14
Surely the addition of a thumb-hole wouldnt hinder the ability of shooting from either shoulder? I would think the comb to be more of an issue than a thumb-hole stock made for a right hander (or left).
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Boyd's Thumb-hole Stocks - 11/18/14
Some are set for ambidextrous use, but most would be akin to wearing your right shoe on your left foot. It not about comb, it's the frigging grip.
Posted By: pointer Re: Boyd's Thumb-hole Stocks - 11/18/14
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Some are set for ambidextrous use, but most would be akin to wearing your right shoe on your left foot. It not about comb, it's the frigging grip.
Yep. Might be kinda tough to shoot this one lefthanded...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Boyd's Thumb-hole Stocks - 11/18/14
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Absolutely. The contour of the thumb hole is completley different for a right or left hand thumb grip.
Offside. Try wiggling your thumb in there for a shot.

[Linked Image]

Sweet Jesus you are dumb. [/quote]

I might be getting a bit deaf but I can speak quite well.

Thank you for the unsolicited advice. I am certain it would, perhaps, be useful once every 100 years but in the past 67 I have not needed or wanted such capabilities. I'll let you know if such a need arises in the next 33.

Now if anyone has ON TOPIC comments about your personal experience to actually answer my request it would be appreciated.

Again, I'm not surprised in the least.

I killed one the other day shooting from my off shoulder. Hell, 50% of the deer I've killed in the past 3 years have been shot with the wrong hand.

Originally Posted by Old_Doe_Shooter

I might be getting a bit deaf but I can speak quite well.

Thank you for the unsolicited advice. I am certain it would, perhaps, be useful once every 100 years but in the past 67 I have not needed or wanted such capabilities. I'll let you know if such a need arises in the next 33.

Now if anyone has ON TOPIC comments about your personal experience to actually answer my request it would be appreciated.

You're the type that thinks 1 year of experience 67 times is the same as 67 years of experience.

You can always tell a Yankee, you just can't tell them much.
I love it! Now you are answering your own inane and off topic comments. I'm not a Yankee. I don't play baseball. I actually have 67 years of shooting experience and long list of "victims".
In the last 3 years 50% of the time you shoot off your "wrong" shoulder. So you admit it's not the correct way to shoot.
Since you are dying to have the last word I'll just ignore you and let the frustration build up.
Posted By: jbmi Re: Boyd's Thumb-hole Stocks - 11/18/14
I have a Boyd's on my LH 700 BDL. For shooting off hand it's a great design, for shooting prone or off the bench it's more difficult than the factory stock.
I received the Boyd's semi-finished, action fit nicely and added a little bedding for an even better fit.
The outside needed some sanding and a good finish.
I like a poly finish and after about 6 coats it looks and feels great.
I would not buy another though.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire