Home
How far out would you feel comfortable shooting coyotes with a 223 bolt rifle topped with a 4X scope? Thanks.
350-400 yards, same as I'll shoot deer and elk with my 30-06 and a 4x Leupold.
I think that varies based on skill and practice. How far can the Rifleman hit six inch steel/targets from field positions would answer that question.
I've killed coyotes to 350 yards with a 4x scope and never felt handicapped.
I think that varies based on skill and practice. How far can the Rifleman hit six inch steel/targets from field positions would answer that question

He ask about "you", not the general hunting population. Personally I would not use a fixed anything except binos.
I have killed groundhogs at 300 yards with a 4X scope and I am as blind as the proverbial bat.
Originally Posted by Ringman
I think that varies based on skill and practice. How far can the Rifleman hit six inch steel/targets from field positions would answer that question

He ask about "you", not the general hunting population. Personally I would not use a fixed anything except binos.

I would not encourage "the general hunting population" to attempt to test their marksmanship.
I've shot a deer at 435 yards with a 4x. I think I would struggle to hit a coyote at that distance unless he was in the open with a background of snow.

But half that distance would not be hard at all. Basically, the "point-blank range" of a 223 on a coyote (about 225 yards) would be quite doable with a 4x.
I think they're good for at least 300 yards.
The rule of thumb is 100 yards for every increase in power. So a 3X is 300 yards, a 6X is 600 yards. In my area of hills and thick trees a 100 yard shot for deer is tough to find. Again I am biased, but wind drift, bullet drop, and judging distance is a difficult task for most guys. So 4X is OK, because most guys should never shoot beyond 400 yards. Seeing a coyote at 400 yards is probably not going to happen around here, maybe 200 at best. Could I shoot a kill zone the size of six inch plate at 350-400 yards in a slight shifting wind with a 223, the answer would be not really. I have shot rifle silhouette for 20 years, and I know my limits. Static targets, at a known distance, from a bench rest, is very different from leaning a against a tree as a coyote bobs in the brush.

People over-think this scope stuff. I know of several wives that have shot elk at over 35 miles from the living room with nothing more than iron sights...
woods_walker,

I would not encourage "the general hunting population" to attempt to test their marksmanship.

"you" still didn't answer his question. blush
As far as the .223 will effectively shoot flat. Around 300 yards.
© 24hourcampfire