Home
Help me out guys. A friend of mine wants my help in putting together a heavy-ish rifle for deer and hog hunting from a box blind. He's thinking .308win, as he does not handload. He's also allocating another $400-500 for optics and wants a reticle that will allow for fairly easy hits on big game to 400 yards without spinning turrets.

My first thought was to try to find a Remington 5R somewhere. What do you guys think? If it was mine, I would build, but he wants something he can have up and going in a few weeks. The others that have come to mind include the Vanguard S2 Varmint in the B&C stock and the Ruger Predator, which is really more of a magnum-weight gun.
Look at a Remmy SPS Tactical...shorter barrel, easier to move in a box blind.

Stick it in a B&C or an HS Precision if you don't like the stock on it.You are still under budget.
That is another good option. He mentioned that he liked the idea of a threaded muzzle. The 700 SPS AAC-SD in a B&C M40 wouldn't be bad at $975 or so.
Though it's a bit lighter than the offerings you've mentioned, the Tikka CTR comes with a 20" varmint weight barrel that is threaded. If he wants it heavier, their Sporter also comes threaded but is a bit over his price range.

For hits to 400, I'd think a Leupold with the LRD would work for a scope.
I forgot about the CTR. Might be a good option also.
CTR is a mad man.....

As pictured w/SS 3-15 in SWFA rings.... 9.5 lbs....

[Linked Image]

Shoots too....

Here's the first 27 shots at 100yds... #25-29 go .386".....

[Linked Image]

Why a heavy rifle for 400 yards? I have tactical rifles, but if it was my only rifle, I'd want something more handy for overall use. A Montana or RAR is more than capable at 400 yards and twice that distance.
I was gonna say Tikka CTR or any tikka for that matter
CTR first choice, but a Tikka compact wouldn't be out of the question either.
Cheap tactical/varmint,
That spells Salvage to me!
Here is mine, $900 total invested

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by ingwe

Stick it in a B&C or an HS Precision if you don't like the stock on it.You are still under budget.

^^^This^^^
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
CTR is a mad man.....

As pictured w/SS 3-15 in SWFA rings.... 9.5 lbs....

[Linked Image]

Shoots too....

Here's the first 27 shots at 100yds... #25-29 go .386".....

[Linked Image]

Yea....That looks like a Tikka...
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

^^^This^^^

Well if Ingwe or Shrap said it... then ya know that probably should be the correct answer...
Originally Posted by TopCat
Why a heavy rifle for 400 yards? I have tactical rifles, but if it was my only rifle, I'd want something more handy for overall use. A Montana or RAR is more than capable at 400 yards and twice that distance.

I don't remember anyone saying it would be his only rifle?

Shod

Get the 5r 308 with the 20" threaded barrel. Add a suppressor later. Add a McMillan or Manners stock later. No brainer.

No flies on the Ruger Hawkeye Predator. Or an American (or two), they say they're shooters. Leupold VX2 3-9x40 LRD. Savage has several offerings too. That's cool irfubar! I had a 12BVSS that was uber accurate, like in the tens. To hell with Remington, IMO, not worth the gamble, what a chitt story they've become.
One can never know...one can only hope!

Yep.
I would hunt hard for a Remington MilSpec 5R and be done with it.
One made 5+ years ago....
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Yep.

Add a $100 trigger at some point..... and another $300-$400 to get a solid detachable mag system. Then maybe $100-$150 in 'smith work to add that 'Tac' bolt handle and make it 1/2 as smooth as the Tikka. You can throw in another hour or two of 'load development'... maybe 6-8 weeks waiting for the trigger to get fixed after a recall. I can see how the SPS Tactical is a slam-dunk....

Or, just buy the Tikka CTR ($850-$900)..... and $200 worth of components/ammo.... and still come in under budget on a rifle that will shoot circles around 99 outta 100 factory Rems.
'flave went from an SPS Tac to the Tikka CTR...... and present company excluded, he's the smartest guy I know..... but I'm just a peasant.... until May.
Sps varmint 308, hs stock from eBay, 10x swfa ss, varget, 155 scenar, lapua brass. Put it together and this is how it shot first try.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Yep.

Add a $100 trigger at some point..... and another $300-$400 to get a solid detachable mag system. Then maybe $100-$150 in 'smith work to add that 'Tac' bolt handle and make it 1/2 as smooth as the Tikka. You can throw in another hour or two of 'load development'... maybe 6-8 weeks waiting for the trigger to get fixed after a recall. I can see how the SPS Tactical is a slam-dunk....

Or, just buy the Tikka CTR ($850-$900)..... and $200 worth of components/ammo.... and still come in under budget on a rifle that will shoot circles around 99 outta 100 factory Rems.

Well ummmm.....You make a pretty good point there!

Your only off on a few small points!

The SPS is likely to require a bit more than 2 hours of load development.

The action on the SPS is not half as smooth as a tikka, you were being a bit generous.

Shod laugh
© 24hourcampfire