Home
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
What's the practical difference between the 6.5x55 and the 7mm-08?

P

I didn't want to hijack another thread about the 6.5x55 Sweed, but here is the answer I use; because sometimes it makes sense to have multiple chambering's. YMMV

I purchased a new-to-me Savage 116 in a 270 with the intent of re-chambering it to my second Sweed. BUT at the same time the country was experiencing a limited supply of ... everything. I found some 6.5x55 Sweed components or ammo on one site but never enough. I did find a limited amount of 270 ammo and components at other locations. Then it dawned on me, this is the third time to me ammo and components have gone into "panic" supplies. So I'm keeping the 270 unchanged. My nice uses it more than I do for hunting. Just nice to have a broader cover of chambering's.

I currently have access to a few of 7mm or 338 rifles but do not own my own. I may have to remedy that :-).
one myself or a
the 7-08 is easier to buy over the counter, uses a true short action, has a better bullet selection, and can be formed in one pass from commonly available 308 brass.

6.5X55 brass is hard to find, loaded rounds even harder.
I have not been in a gun shop or sporting goods store that didn't have 6.5x55 ammo in stock.
The only practical difference I'm aware of is the fact that factory 6.5X55 barrels are all over the place when it comes to chambers, throats and other specs. Which is why the ammo is loaded at low pressures. The 7X57 has the same problems. E
Originally Posted by MarkFed
I have not been in a gun shop or sporting goods store that didn't have 6.5x55 ammo in stock.

I have.
The 7-08 does not have the cool factor that the Swede has--
Originally Posted by TBREW401

this
David_Walter - X2. Down here the Swede is almost non-existent in LGS. The 7MM-08 just a little bit more available but not by much. Homesteader.
It's hard to load Partitions heavier than 140 grains in the Swede, where the -08 will easily load 150s, 160s, and even 175s. smile
Originally Posted by TNrifleman

this

Mostly This!

Jerry
Originally Posted by David_Walter

I have.

Me too!!
7-08 is common here, 6.5x55 not so much.

But the 308 is considerably commoner here over either...
Originally Posted by Brad
7-08 is common here, 6.5x55 not so much.

But the 308 is considerably commoner here over either...

This; 243 & 308 are far easier to find here than 6.5x55 or 7-08. I've NEVER decided a purchase on factory ammo availability. Plus 7-08 is a cinch to form from 762x51.

If I wanted a 7mm cartridge on a 270/110 I'd lean toward a 7 mag of some kind or at least a 280 Rem/AI.

Of course I have a 110 long in 223 so can't cast aspersions one way or the other blush ! If I already had a Swede between the two I'd go 7-08.
Literally, the most coon a$$ed, hillfu*^ed, off the beaten path gun shops in upstate PA carry the swede. Forgot my ammo 2years ago, popped in the 10'x10' showroom. Bought a box. $30
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter
Originally Posted by David_Walter

I have.

Me too!!

So have I.
The 7-08 is a good cartridge with reasonable availability. Kills stuff well. The 6.5x55 is a cartridge with serious mojo workin'. It was stated above that you can't load heavier than 140s in the 6.5. Flat wrong. The bullet selection is excellent. BTW if you can't kill an animal cleanly and predictably with the 140 partitions in the 6.5x55 then it's time to step up to a big bore. For reasons I can't explain the cartridge is a hammer. The availability of brass is a little spotty right now. Buy Prvi, shoot it, reload the brass. It's quite decent ammo. If you're open to buying ammunition on the net then it's out there. The crazy situation we've had the last couple of years with components and ammunition has affected everything, not just the 6.5.
There is no piratical difference. Anything you can prudently do with one, you can do with the other. Only draw back may come if you have an old military rifle, I don't. One mod 70 and one for my ex was a Parker-Hale 1200.
156 Norma Oryx bullets are available for hand loading the swede.
140 is not the upper limit.
6.5x55 brass is not at all hard to find
Practical difference? None. But what the heck does that have to do with anything anyway? (Especially on The Fire.) Practical is a .30-06. Done. But what fun is that? It's all about WANT not NEED. Where is your sense of romance, your sense of adventure, your inbred desire to spend money??? Guns ARE money anyways, IMHO. The Swede is what dreams are made of, or anything else you want to dream up. He who dies with the most toys WINS.
156 Norma Oryx bullets are available for hand loading the swede.
140 is not the upper limit.
6.5x55 brass is not at all hard to find

Agreed ! When my 6.5x55 drew first blood, it was with a Hornady Round Nose 160 grain bullet with a coal of 3.15". Tikkas are very long throated.
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
It's hard to load Partitions heavier than 140 grains in the Swede, where the -08 will easily load 150s, 160s, and even 175s. smile

Klik,

Do you own a factory 7-08 that will shoot 160 or 175 grain bullets accurately?
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

Klik,

Do you own a factory 7-08 that will shoot 160 or 175 grain bullets accurately?

I've never shot any 175s, even from a big 7, but my 7-08(s) shoot 154s and 160s very well. I wouldn't be surprised if a Swede wouldn't also.
In the field no.

But like the 7x57, the 6.5x55 is complicated.
Rim size, throats, twists, variable load data, etc.
All my 7x57s shoot extremely well with heavy bullets. Neither of the two 7-08s I tried would shoot even 160gr bullets well, let alone 175s. I no longer own any 7-08s and am extremeny happy with my 7x57s.

All my 6.5x55 Swedes shoot extremely well with 140gr bullets. The 260 I owned shot well with 120gr bullets, but not so well with 140s. I no longer own a 260 and am extremely happy with my 6.5x55s.

I LIKE HEAVY-FOR-CALIBER BULLETS. THEY LIKE FASTER TWIST. 7X57s AND 6.5X55s HAVE FASTER TWISTS. End of story.
Not sure of this being fact but it sounded logical to me.

The 7-08 is the metro/sexual version of the 7x57. It could be difficult for it to do the heavier lifting for bullet weights that the 7x57 handles with ease. Difference between the Swede and the 7x57 isn't much. Not sure about the metro/sexual version comparison. It might come with the handbag as a spare ammo carrier though..... smile smile smile
The difference is negligible on deer. It's shot placement that counts.

Originally Posted by Old_Doe_Shooter
....He who dies with the most toys WINS.

LOL! He who dies with the most toys DIES.

© 24hourcampfire