Home
You can only have one rifle for hunting all big game in Alaska.. What would it be?

Merry Christmas to all of you're families.
I'd have to think about it as well. But, having had the opportunity to visit there this summer and talking with folks that live and hunt there, they seemed to be very comfortable with their .270's and '06's. They didn't seem to be as fond of the larger calibers as we are, and the grizzly pelts I saw didn't seem to have any opinion either way. Me, though - I'd probably take a 300WM and a 338WM.
From Alaska G&F: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting.firearms
Living here all my life I have hunted with a 308 more than anything.
My one rifle, if I could have or take only one, for hunting anywhere is a .30-06. It's not perfect in any scenario but it (almost) covers them all.

I would take a 30-06.

It works.
I've hunted up here with a bunch of different rifles and aside from mountain hunting I almost always reach for my 35 Whelen. For mountain hunting or the wide open tundra I take my 257 weatherby or one of my 30/06s. My wife hunts exclusively with her 270 Winchester.
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Living here all my life I have hunted with a 308 more than anything.
I know few that is what they use for everything including brown bears, placement and bullet construction is key.
Originally Posted by scouttracker
You can only have one rifle for hunting all big game in Alaska.. What would it be?

[Linked Image]
Steyr-Mannlicher Model M Professional with a Meopta 6x42 scope with a #4 reticle in Warns QD mounts.
Either be my 30-06 carbine, not much a 200 gr Partition couldn't handle or my 375 Ruger Alaskan. It handles the deer and elk woods just fine, I'm sure it could adapt. It might like to go home someday anyways, bought it at Boondocks when they came out in 2007.
While I would hate to be a one rifle guy if I could only have one it would be my 300 RUM. Its probably more horsepower than you really need but it has never failed me. I could just as easily go with a 30/06. I would stick with the same bullet 168gr TTSX. I haven�t figured out a way to stop one of them yet.
The 30-06 seems like the logical choice. However, A good 9.3x62mm or a 338 win mag would also work great.
Originally Posted by Josh Sorensen
While I would hate to be a one rifle guy if I could only have one it would be my 300 RUM. Its probably more horsepower than you really need but it has never failed me. I could just as easily go with a 30/06. I would stick with the same bullet 168gr TTSX. I haven�t figured out a way to stop one of them yet.

I'd pick my 300 RUM also if limited to one cartridge. Rifle is a stainless model 70. 200gr Barnes LRX would be the bullet of choice (as it is now).
It is a toss between my .338 and my '06. I've hunted them both every year since the early 90's. The .338 mostly for elk and the '06 for deer.

They weigh within 8 ounces of each other.

I suppose I would go with the .338. While I most often shoot 225's [Hornadys, Partitions and Bearclaws], I load 180's 200's, and 210's depending on the hunt. My dad always wanted me to take a moose with it.
Same thing I use for most of my hunting now.

A 280.
I hunted mostly with a 300 Win Mag when I lived there in the 1990s.

Today, given the quality of bullets, I'd use my 308 or 7mm-08 for everything.

I knew an old man that used a 308 with 220 Partitions(?) on everything.

Wasn't long range, but killed everything it hit.
Funny thing, I've never killed so much as a gopher with a 30-06, have had three and have one now. Lived in Alaska for a while and carried my 308 hunting. But if I went back and hunted I believe I might take my present 30-06 loaded with 180gr bullet's.
338 Edge with 300 gr Accubonds for everything out to 400 yards,
beyond that 300 gr Berger Hunting bullets.....
Well, like some of the others posted, I would have 3 or 4 guns, but,,,,If I have to just pick one rifle, I would choose the Colonel's 35.
It would have to be stainless with a synthetic stock. A 1.5x6 or 2x7 or 2.5x8 on top would be about right. And probably chambered in .338WM.

That should do it.....
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter

That might be the most common sense rifle and ammo recommendation posted on a states F&G website.
^^^^ +1 I agree
Theoretically speaking because I have never been....340 Bee.

210 PT at 3175 fps.
M-70 S/S 375 H&H wearing a 2.5-8 Leupold in a set of Talley QD's firing 270 gr TSX's, factory irons dead on at 50 yards.
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter

That pretty much sums it up.

I've carried a fairly light 30-06 quite a bit, but carried a 338WM nearly as much. It would be hard to choose between them, but I may split the difference and carry a 300Winny with 180s if I had to carry just one.

Edit: My experience with 165 TSXs make that bullet a favorite.
Kimber Montana 300wsm, 6x scope.
Savage model 99 in .308.
Originally Posted by DonFischer
Funny thing, I've never killed so much as a gopher with a 30-06, have had three and have one now. Lived in Alaska for a while and carried my 308 hunting. But if I went back and hunted I believe I might take my present 30-06 loaded with 180gr bullet's.

That brings up the question: What can you not do with a good 30-06 loaded up with good 180's???? Would 200 grain partitions work better? I just bought 300 of those blush. Figured they would work great on elk and bear. I think Phil uses that combo a little bit, there in Alaska....
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

That brings up the question: What can you not do with a good 30-06 loaded up with good 180's????

A 30-06 will work. but, it has to be light enough to pack up a lot of mountains. The 180 is a fine bullet, but I wouldn't limit myself to 1 bullet when plenty are available. 130tsx, 155 skinner, 168tsx, 180 whatever, etc.

I have 3 to choose wait 4 first one is a baco made model 70 ew in a 325 wsm with 3-9x33 leupold would use this on everything up here in AK. 2nd one a new haven made stainless featherweight in 338 wsm with 3-9x40 leupold 3rd one a stainless synthetic new haven made model 70 in a 375 h&h with a 3-9x33 leupold. Last cz 550 in a 416rigby mag chucking 400gr tsx at 2400 fps killed brown bear with this combo one shot one dead ass bear.
Originally Posted by 79S
I have 3 to choose wait 4 first one is a baco made model 70 ew in a 325 wsm with 3-9x33 leupold would use this on everything up here in AK. 2nd one a new haven made stainless featherweight in 338 wsm with 3-9x40 leupold 3rd one a stainless synthetic new haven made model 70 in a 375 h&h with a 3-9x33 leupold. Last cz 550 in a 416rigby mag chucking 400gr tsx at 2400 fps killed brown bear with this combo one shot one dead ass bear.

You talking about Alaskan hunting or elephant hunting??? whistle
Originally Posted by Calvin

That brings up the question: What can you not do with a good 30-06 loaded up with good 180's????

A 30-06 will work. but, it has to be light enough to pack up a lot of mountains. The 180 is a fine bullet, but I wouldn't limit myself to 1 bullet when plenty are available. 130tsx, 155 skinner, 168tsx, 180 whatever, etc.

168gr ttsx would be a great bullet for the 06 and use it on everything in Alaska as well...
Originally Posted by 79S

168gr ttsx would be a great bullet for the 06 and use it on everything in Alaska as well...

Does shooters pro shop sell those, so an average white man can afford them? If not, I'll stick with the blemished 180gr. partitions... wink
Originally Posted by 79S

You talking about Alaskan hunting or elephant hunting??? whistle

Lol I need to work on a load for my 375 w/300gr accubond but I did try my buds loads in it using 300gr tsx shot them real well
Originally Posted by 79S

Does shooters pro shop sell those, so an average white man can afford them? If not, I'll stick with the blemished 180gr. partitions... wink

Oh boy....
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear
It is a toss between my .338 and my '06. I've hunted them both every year since the early 90's. The .338 mostly for elk and the '06 for deer.

Same here for me but it was a toss up between my 338 WM and .308. I know both kill everything inclduing bears having taken caribou, moose, mountain goats, grizzlies, black bears and sitka deer with them. But I split the difference this year with a 338-06 after using a Browning 325 WSM.....wanted 4+1 instead of 3+1 and wanted to get away from the Browning A Bolt platform and onto a Kimber platform.

My 308 shoots 165s about 2750.....338 WM shoots 225s at 2930. 338-06 shoots 210s at 2760 and is only 3 oz heavier than my 308 Win Kimber Montana. Gonna be hard to grab the 308 win or 338 WM anymore these days.
Originally Posted by 79S

Oh boy....

yea...we are going to AK to hunt big game, but the cost of bullets is a deal breaker...
Originally Posted by 79S

That's a lot of guns. Want to get rid of that stainless 375 H&H?
Originally Posted by toad
Originally Posted by 79S

Oh boy....

yea...we are going to AK to hunt big game, but the cost of bullets is a deal breaker...

I spent all my money on a dial calipers to measure groups!
Originally Posted by 79S

Oh boy....

Sorry to hear that.... whistle
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Originally Posted by 79S

Oh boy....

You need a tape measure... wink
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Originally Posted by 79S

Oh boy....

Laffin'.
I'd be happy with an all-up 7.5lb 270 Win.
Originally Posted by Brad
I'd be happy with an all-up 7.5lb 270 Win.

Way to toss a turd on the campfire.

Might be a pun there, or three.

wink
Originally Posted by bearstalker
Originally Posted by 79S

Uh no those new haven stainless 375 getting harder and harder to find..
I know guys who have killed plenty of animals in AK using regular old hornady interlocks, cor-lokt etc. But I won't let the cost of Barnes bullets detour me from using them.
It's the only part of the whole outfit that touches an animal.
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

I'll let you use for it when you come back.
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

I'll let you use for it when you come back.

Cabelas has one for $2200 smile besides its not a pre 64 so it's pretty much only good for a jack handle.
My custom, purpose built for Alaska (By our own Redneck and Charley Santoni of RifleStockPainting.com) Pre 64 M70 in 9.3x62. It shoots both 250 Accubonds and 286 Partitions to 1/4 moa and 1/2 moa 3-shot accuracy. Currently working on a 250 gr LBT LFN cast bullet load. Topped with a VX-3 1.75-6 with CDS turrets. I'm good to 500 yds with the 250 AB. Weight is 8 lb 5 oz without ammo or sling. Balance point is directly under the front scope ring. The D'Arcy Echols Legend stock handles recoil with aplomb!

[Linked Image]
Alan

I'd use what I started with�a 30-06. That one happened to be a M670 Winchester but I'd run a SS Hawkeye if I were buying from the rack at this moment. (I've sure hunted plenty with 6mm, 7mm-08, and 340, but the old '06 falls smack in the center of "it works" and nothing says "boring" like a 180 Partition as a do-anything load. H4831 would be the powder choice if 'boring' is really a theme you wanted to follow, but I'd probably use something like Hunter if I had choices.)
Pre 64 mod 70 action Either 280 or 30/06. Toss a coin
Picked up my "Alaskan rifle" last summer. It's a model 70 made in 1948, chambered 375 H&H. I would post pics but having a heckuva time with Photobucket. Probably never get the chance to hunt AK, but I have the rifle. smile
I would feel comfortable with most calibers from 30-06 up, but my present rifle of "choice" is a 35 Gibbs. Or should I say it will be when it's up and running. 225 NP @28oo for sheep and caribou and a 280 @2500 SAF for moose and brown bears. New rebore from JES in hand and just waiting on dies from Huntington's.
I've used a .270, .300 WM, and a .375 H&H, but my go-to rig became a Remington 700 KS in .300 WBY. Lightened it a bit and mounted a Leupold 3.5-10 on it.
I read the alaska DNR link and that made sense to me.

I would take my SS browning xbolt 3006 since that's what I have. It shoots 180 gr Barnes vortex ammo well.

It is cool to see Alaska hunters with lever action marlins, Winchesters, and savage 99 proving you don't need SS bolt actions.
My Ruger Mark II stainless, 338 Win Mag
Pacific Research stock
Kahles Helica C 1.5-6x42
210-225 TSX/TTSX.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Been hunting alaska for 30yrs, use a mod 71 winchester in 348 with 250 woodleighs. Only eception is alpine deer hunts then use mod 70 winchester in 30.06. If had to use only 1 rifle it would be the mod 71.
Ive only hunted Alaska once, for caribou , so not a lot to pull from. But Ive hunted a ton of stuff elsewhere and after being exposed on this site to Phil Shoemaker, his opinions and guns, I would be inclined to take my Interarms MarkX in .30-06 with heavy bullets.....for everything.
Its kind of like a mini version of his old ugly .458....not as ugly, but I did some home 'customizing' on it, so its getting there! grin
Ingwe,

Would you like to own a like-new Mark X 30-06? I'll sell you mine. It's like new in every way. Nice walnut stock.
Originally Posted by humdinger

I would take my SS browning xbolt 3006 since that's what I have. It shoots 180 gr Barnes vortex ammo well.

It is cool to see Alaska hunters with lever action marlins, Winchesters, and savage 99 proving you don't need SS bolt actions.

You can hunt ak with a blued rifle and pretty piece of wood on it. Every year I been hunting in ak my buds forget to bring gun oil except for me I bring a tub rem wipes to keep guys who brought blued guns including my daughters from rusting in bad weather. If you remember to bring the basis gun cleaning supplies you can use whatever up here. Now you guys who cringe dragging your pretty pre64 through alders and other stuff I can't help you their probably should left it in the safe.
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Ingwe,

Would you like to own a like-new Mark X 30-06? I'll sell you mine. It's like new in every way. Nice walnut stock.

No, but thanks.Mine has a wonderful 'patina of use'... cool

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I don't think I have a favorite rifle. Had a good number of 700 Remington's, couple each Rem 660's, Rem 788's. few Parker Hales, couple 98 Mauser's. several Sako L61R's, couple Win Mod 70's and have a sporterized 03 right now. I loved my L61R's but they were heavy. My present mod 70 is the best one I've owned. Only ever saw one 700 I could not make shoot. Liked the Parker Hales but grew out of the roll over cheek piece, the older 1200.

If I had to get down to just a few rifles, my present mod 70 would stay, 6.5x55, Probably keep my 788, 308, and much as i hate to say it, my 700 ADL, 243. As far as scratch's and dings, just a fact of life. If you use them they get dings. Never owned a stainless rifle and never will, butt ugly for my taste's.
I think that a 30/06 would be good enough for everything except BB on Afognak or on Admiralty Island. I would want something bigger for those situations.
The rifle that I use the most here is an HS Precision in a 300 wsm. 168gr TTSX is by far my favorite load.
Originally Posted by kaboku68
I think that a 30/06 would be good enough for everything except BB on Afognak or on Admiralty Island. I would want something bigger for those situations.

kaboku: Is there something special about those two locations that makes you want something larger or just the brown bears in general?

I ask because I have hunted Admiralty and just wondering.....I carried a 375 and 338 up there myself. smile
Brownies on A and A; big, labile temperaments, and dense foliage... "holy sh*t, where did that bison come from???"
AKwolverine nailed it. An 06 with 220 grain partitions can do a lot. However, both environments revolve around 50 yard shots in brushy terrain. There are openings in both. However, big bears appear where they are least expected. I would feel better in both locations with my 458 Win Mag.

Sincerely,
Thomas
A K/Kaboku: Got it....yes Admiralty is kinda thick in there... smile

Ruger 300 or 338 RCM
Winchester stainless classic in 30-06 and a McMillan Edge. It should go about 7.5 lbs and would cover everything from sitka deer to brown bear. Most likely, I would be after moose and caribou more than anything. I would prefer two or three rifles but that is my pick.
Ingwe married up.
Originally Posted by 4ager
My one rifle, if I could have or take only one, for hunting anywhere is a .30-06. It's not perfect in any scenario but it (almost) covers them all.

This.

kwg
Ingwe married up.

Had to go back through the thread to figure out WTH you were talking about... And I don't know Ingwe ... but that's some d*mn funny stuff!
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by 4ager

This.

kwg

Generally, on a topic such as this, I think about the caribou hunting I've done, the moose I've killed; it's not about bears. As long as the rifle could bring down a bear with quite adequately, that's all I need for bear. The main thing is the rifle needs to carry well and handle well. I've carried and used a M70 375 a few times for caribou. What I much prefer and have carried a whole bunch more for caribou, wolves, moose, and even bear have been 20" barreled rifles like the 7mm-08 and 358 Win on the Model Seven platform. That or the M70 Featherweight 6.5x55. And the standard weight M70 has done its share for caribou and certainly plenty well on moose. Every rifle is a compromise in some ways for all applications. A rifle that isn't too 'tall', weighs around 7 1/2 to 8 pounds all up, with a 20-22" barrel is about where I like to be. A magnum barreled rifle isn't too much, but a safari barrel (like the M70 375) gets to be more than I like on a sling across my back when I'm astride a machine going to or from. The plain old 30-06 isn't all that interesting in its standard work clothes, but it makes a good general purpose utility rifle for all around use. (Stainless is nice since its easier to clean the rust stains from. grin )
375 Ruger Guide Gun would be my choice of rifle.
Can't go wrong with a 30-06 but I go back to the Alaska F&G link which to me makes a whole lot of sense and has been preached on the fire for many years, the right bullet in the right spot trumps all else

PS-for me I like the 7mm's so a 7mm-08 or 280 in a 7lb package shooting a tsx or partition would be my choice. A 140 or 160 in 7mm-08 or a 160-175 in the 280, most accurate load I could work up.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Ingwe married up.

Had to go back through the thread to figure out WTH you were talking about... And I don't know Ingwe ... but that's some d*mn funny stuff!

I catch hell frequently cause my wife is better looking than me...here she is with the 30-06 in question...

[Linked Image]
Everybody's wife is better looking than you. wink
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
Everybody is better looking than you. wink

fixed it for you....
I have 3 favorites. My Sako AV 375 H&H in a McMillan Stock, Ruger M77 MkII in 338 WM, and a Winchester mod 70 Classic Stainless 30-06. Doesn't matter where I live or what I hunt I'm good to go. I used the 338 WM probably a little more than the rest and it's what I took to So. Africa, Actually I took a Winchester mod 70 stainless 338 to So Africa. Don't see how a guy can only have one of any caliber.
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
Everybody's wife is better looking than you. wink

True dat. frown
Your wife has a nice rack there. grin
Back to the topic at hand... Is it true that the upper limit of recoil tolerance for most hunters is a 30-06 or so???
I know my grandpa's old M54 with a steel butt plate kind of punishes you off the bench but with decent fitting stocks and good recoil pad my 375H&H is perfectly tolerable off the bench and anything smaller is no problem. And I am not some macho man, in fact I don't like recoil.
Do we have a generation of wussies?
Never been up there hunting but was a fishing guide, I would take the 30-06, 200 partitions.
Three good choices in my gun safe. A Model 7 SS in 300SAUM, a Model 700 SS also in 300SAUM, and a Model 700 EddieF cerakoted in 30-06. I guess I'd take the 06 based on ammo availability in an emergency. Bullet of choice either 180 grain Speer Grand Slams or Nosler Accubonds.
Now I just need the funds and conditioning for the trip!
.358 Norma Mag with a Luepy 1.75x6 - Mauser action with a heavy contour barrel. Ceracoat, bedded, and time tested. But that is just me.
300 Win Mag launching 200 Grain Barnes LRX topped with a Nightforce 2.5-10x42
I'd probably run either the Montana 280AI or the Montana 7WSM.

Pretty much anything fairly accurate, very reliable and reasonably light would work for me.
The Alaskan F&G website on cartridge recommendations replace a lifetime of gun magazines. But a guy has to have a little fun.
Originally Posted by Blacktailer

Do we have a generation of wussies?

Damn straight !

If you had spelled that with a P it would be even closer to the truth !
Originally Posted by 79S

You can hunt ak with a blued rifle and pretty piece of wood on it. Every year I been hunting in ak my buds forget to bring gun oil except for me I bring a tub rem wipes to keep guys who brought blued guns including my daughters from rusting in bad weather. If you remember to bring the basis gun cleaning supplies you can use whatever up here. Now you guys who cringe dragging your pretty pre64 through alders and other stuff I can't help you their probably should left it in the safe.

Killed two coastal brown bears with pre 64 375's wink Not saying SS would not have been better but I watched a couple of SS rifles just blossom rust while there.

You gotta take care of all of them.
If one does not mind manly rifle with wood stock this would be hard to beat for all around North American hunting piece:

Runnin' game special....

Good handling, extremely durable and ERA-Recknagel running game sights are big plus in case one needs to shoot bunnies for the pot. While magazine and magazine release are solid I suspect spare mags would be quite expensive if found for purchase. Big plus is US made hunting soft points can be found for $30 per pack 24 hours a day at all night Walmart.
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by 79S

Killed two coastal brown bears with pre 64 375's wink Not saying SS would not have been better but I watched a couple of SS rifles just blossom rust while there.

Have several friends hunt kodiak using stainless model 70's no issues but one of th guys had a stainless browning and it started rusting.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Ingwe,

No, but thanks.Mine has a wonderful 'patina of use'... cool

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Wildebeast is better looking than you!
79: Funny....the Brownings were the rifles I saw rust.

If non-magnum, probably a 30-06 or 9.3x62. If it had to be magnum, maybe 300 or 338WM.

Out the box stock, probably a Sako. If worked over and done nicely, probably one built off a M70 classic. If on the cheap and sledge hammer tough, maybe not quite as refined, probably one built off a Ruger M77.

Whichever version, the closer to a Mauser design but with modern materials, having fewer parts in numbers, with those parts being simple and robust, the better I'd like and prefer, if stuck with a singular rifle that I'd need to keep running without fail.

If on the other hand, you truly do not mean in the intent of this thread, a one and only rifle for all times, but just a single rifle for that purpose of hunting AK, to be replaced at whim. Then I'd still choose the same chamberings, but would pick whatever rifle I fancied at the moment, and I would then replace that particular make/model of rifle whenever something else became more desirable. In that case, it could be anything. I may have a desire to take a single shot, or some other unique rifle to increase my enjoyment of hunting AK.
I'll stick with my two most proven ones. Old decrepit Ruger 77 MkII in 7x57 and an FN custom in .338 WM.

I recently went over my old M70 Classic 375 with a stainless steel brush and managed to get most of the red crud reduced. Stainless rusts, stainless pits. And you are quite right about taking care of 'em all. Open coastal skiffs are not kind even to stainless rifles.
Klik: That stuff called "Flitz" (IIRC) works well on SS....comes in a tube and cleans SS real well.
79: Funny....the Brownings were the rifles I saw rust.

Ruger stainless barrel steel likes to pit; Remingtons have been most impervious to rust from what I have seen. (High polished, deeply blued carbon/chrome/moly steel actually resists rust quite well too.)
I might/should pick some of that up��not that anything in a tube is likely the right answer for some of my tools sometimes. blush
Potentially being somewhere in the middle of the food chain, I take something that kicks out at least 180+ grain slugs.
Interesting thread. Restricted to only one of the rifles that I have now, my choice would be the Weatherby Back Country in .300 Win Mag. Good synthetic stock, cerakote on the outside, Dyna Bore-Coat in the barrel, and light enough to tote up and down mountains.

I am planning to build another 9.3x62 this year. Thinking that this one might end up being cerakoted and dyna bore-coated, with either a well-sealed classic walnut or a good all-weather synthetic stock (or maybe both).

Since it seems unlikely that I will get back to Alaska for another hunt, it really doesn't matter all that much--but it's fun to play the game for a few minutes.

Funny how many people think stainless means stainfree.
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
(High polished, deeply blued carbon/chrome/moly steel actually resists rust quite well too.)

Better than most matte finish SS barrels.
Bought this from a kid in Alaska who made it up, shot a few rounds out of it and sold it. I think he sold it because he could not make it feed right...took it to a good smith and now feeds fine with everything...

77MKII .350 Remington Magnum, 18.25" barrel, NECG rear sight and Williams front. Scope is a Tasco Titan 1.5-6 30mm tube with German #4 reticle. Warne QD rings. Has spent a lot of time on a 4-wheeler in Maine and still looks new.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bob
This is special edition 'Hattari Big Bwana'......

No reason it could not be used in Alaska USA. The sighting system is comprised of blade front plus rear express type one standing two folding blades by highly regarded ERA-Recknagel of Germany. It also comes equipped with excellent dovetails for Sako scope rings too.
Originally Posted by RJM
Bought this from a kid in Alaska who made it up, shot a few rounds out of it and sold it. I think he sold it because he could not make it feed right...took it to a good smith and now feeds fine with everything...

77MKII .350 Remington Magnum, 18.25" barrel, NECG rear sight and Williams front. Scope is a Tasco Titan 1.5-6 30mm tube with German #4 reticle. Warne QD rings. Has spent a lot of time on a 4-wheeler in Maine and still looks new.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bob

Very cool looking rifle!
I have used the 30-06 on virtually everything in Alaska and with all the great bullets we have today it is better than ever.
My Mauser 30-06 with 220 Partitions worked just fine as a backup on this brown bear a few years ago.
[Linked Image]

My main Alaskan rifle is a M70 in 358STA in a mcmillan stock with a 1.75-6X leupold. Thankfully it's not my only rifle, but it has accounted for many deer, caribou, mnt goat, bear, moose.
Originally Posted by 458Win
I have used the 30-06 on virtually everything in Alaska and with all the great bullets we have today it is better than ever.
My Mauser 30-06 with 220 Partitions worked just fine as a backup on this brown bear a few years ago.
[Linked Image]

love the 30 ought with 220gr!!
I also like the fact that you use open sights, I only have one rifle with a scope on it,I practice with open sights every time I go out to shoot,and I'm suppose to were glasses but I don't
Phil,

Which iron sights do you use and recommend?

What is your load for the 220's?

Borden 300 WSM
or
Borden 280 AI
Great topic.
Model 7 KS in .350 mag. Only used it once in Alaska for caribou, and can't say it killed them any quicker than a 308, 3006 ect.

However it is handier, quicker pointing, and loaded with 250 grain Grand Slams gave a good bit of reassurance while walking into the alders to poop in the morning. smile
[Linked Image]
Kimber Montana 300wsm, 6x scope.

This would work for me.

donsm70
If I were going to Alaska to hunt big critters, I'd want to take as much advice from Phil Shoemaker (458win) as I could. Posts like his regarding the 30-06's validity on big bears is extremely reassuring, as the 30-06 is one rifle I'd certainly pack:

The 30-06 with 220 grain bullets is a proven big bear cartridge. I have use 200 gr Partitions in mine to kill and number of big brown and Grizzly bears, including stopping some close range determained charges. I would caution you that some of the factory 220 RN bullets are not as tough as you might wish. Give them a try and if not I would recommend the heaviest Partition. Swift, Trophy bonded or X bullet you can find.

I'd also be very inclined to take my 9.3x62mm CZ 550 American because I know I can trust it to be extremely reliable and accurate. The next one on the list would be my new 338 win mag built on an H&H receiver (5 round capacity) and 8 pounds "all up" and possible my 375 H&H. So the line up for me would look like this:

30-06 using good 200 or 220gr. Nosler partitions (6 round capacity):
[Linked Image]

338 win mag running 250gr. Nosler partitions (5 round capacity):
[Linked Image]

9.3x62mm running 286gr. Nosler partitions (6 round capacity):
[Linked Image]

375 H&H loaded with 260gr. Nosler partitons (5 round capacity):
[Linked Image]

However, the 375 is a little heavy I'd probably opt to carry the other 3 before packing it around...The question in the thread reads something like this: "You're rifle of choice for Alasa big game hunting?". I guess by the looks of it (3 out of 4 of my rifle picks), my answer would be old Winchester model 70. Great thread guys..
I have never hunted Alaska but would jump at the opportunity to do so. If I ever do, I would probably take 2 rifles; my CZ 550 American 9.3x62 and my Browning X-Bolt 300 Win Mag. My bullet of choice for both rifles are Nosler Partitions (286 grain and 180 grain protected point respectively). The NP's just work for me. Because I am more comfortable (and accurate) with my 9.3 so, it would probably be my choice of the two.
Originally Posted by Biggs300
I have never hunted Alaska but would jump at the opportunity to do so. If I ever do, I would probably take 2 rifles; my CZ 550 American 9.3x62 and my Browning X-Bolt 300 Win Mag. My bullet of choice for both rifles are Nosler Partitions (286 grain and 180 grain protected point respectively). The NP's just work for me. Because I am more comfortable (and accurate) with my 9.3 so, it would probably be my choice of the two.

Damn good choice. I also like GSSP's 9.3x62mm, but it's too damn purty to hunt grin
98 Mauser in 30.06 and the money saved not buying the UBER magnumbs would go to ammo/reloading supplies for practice...lots of practice!
[Linked Image]

Can't get any closer to "the horse's mouth" than THAT!!
Alaska huh?

For stuff from moose to caribou,sheep,deer,mountain type stuff it would be what I got set up in synthetic stocks and ready to "go".That would be either a pre 64 M70 FW 270 that Redneck put together for me 4-5 years ago and is my favorite 270....loaded with 130 Bitterroots.

Or, a M70 Classic custom chambered for 7mm Mashburn Super loaded with 160 Bitterroots.

I would take a "backup"(not that it would be needed but you never know) which is a soon to be new,lightweight and remodeled pre 64 M70 in 375H&H in Echols Legend. Load would be the 250 Bitterroot.

That should cover it.
Alaska huh?

For stuff from moose to caribou,sheep,deer,mountain type stuff it would be what I got set up in synthetic stocks and ready to "go".That would be either a pre 64 M70 FW 270 that Redneck put together for me 4-5 years ago and is my favorite 270....loaded with 130 Bitterroots.

Or, a M70 Classic custom chambered for 7mm Mashburn Super loaded with 160 Bitterroots.

I would take a "backup"(not that it would be needed but you never know) which is a soon to be new,lightweight and remodeled pre 64 M70 in 375H&H in Echols Legend. Load would be the 250 Bitterroot.

That should cover it.

I've been thinking about putting mine in a legend too Bob. Send my a pic when you get done with that one!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by 79S

My blued and walnut BRNO 602 375 H&H will be chasing brown bear next year. Nary a worry.
My CZ 9.3X62. I also have a Remington 720 30-06 or my Husqvarna 1600 also 30-06 that would do.
I would not consider newer CZ550 when second hand pre-64 Model 70 can be had for same money or less. Some of newer CZs (those with plastic followers and or plastic floor plate) often have E clamp retaining firing pin spring instead of nut like my old ZKK 602 used to have. If that flimsy E washer gives you end up with steel and wood or steel and plastic club. Not very desirable tool when hunting wild boar or brown bear. While both Model 70 and CZ550 actions are inferior to K98 the old Winchester has bolt body bulge running along the bolt body to prevent it from binding. While dovetails on CZ action are superior way for scope mounting the Winchester actions were forgings not cast type like CZ550.
Besides most if not all of you if going to AK will be using a guide for brown bear, sheep and mtn goat. So you will be backed up by a guide for the brown bear hunt so you can really [bleep] up get the shakes or whatever that guide has your back. The story on that bear 458 posted a picture of if I remember right the client gut shot that bear and couple other real [bleep] shots bear far from dead then iirc the client lost his nerve and mr. shoemaker had to go in and finish the bear. Mr shoemaker posted something about it over on accurate reloading.
Alaska huh?

That should cover it.

On second thought, I'll take Bob's.. grin
Outfitters upping prices for non residents as well for Brn bear hunts going from $20,000-$30,000 thousand. So for most here the chances of them using their "Alaska" rifle in Alaska will never happen. They can only dream...
W O W !!!

Holy Moly !!
I would have to choose my Sako AV 375 H&H...I just don't get enough opportunity to hunt with it here in TX.
Originally Posted by GSSP
My custom, purpose built for Alaska (By our own Redneck and Charley Santoni of RifleStockPainting.com) Pre 64 M70 in 9.3x62. It shoots both 250 Accubonds and 286 Partitions to 1/4 moa and 1/2 moa 3-shot accuracy. Currently working on a 250 gr LBT LFN cast bullet load. Topped with a VX-3 1.75-6 with CDS turrets. I'm good to 500 yds with the 250 AB. Weight is 8 lb 5 oz without ammo or sling. Balance point is directly under the front scope ring. The D'Arcy Echols Legend stock handles recoil with aplomb!

Sweet rifle

[Linked Image]
Alan
Originally Posted by jwall
W O W !!!

Holy Moly !!

Yeah one is better off going to africa on a plains game hunt hell you could do it several times over. Sheep hunts are running $15,000-$20,000 grand as well. I'm glad I'm a resident of AK grin
338-06 from 160 gr TTSX to 250 nosler partition! Am I missing something?
Originally Posted by muygrande1

Yeah, maybe.

Any ammo IF yours is lost/misplaced in travel.
I'd have to pack that ammo IN/WITH my underwear. <G>

Yeah, maybe.

It would give a new meaning to chitty shot..... whistle

Yeah, maybe.

Ladies and gentlemen he's here all night...

laugh laugh laugh

I did NOT say dirty undies!!!!! whistle grin
Between Phil (458Win) and the AK F&G recommendations, you guys are swimming against a mighty strong current.
No Mr. Whoop - Not Me! <G>

[Linked Image]

Can't get any closer to "the horse's mouth" than THAT!!

Something Sako 9.3x62
I would use my 375 Ruger Guide Gun.
Originally Posted by RJM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bob

My .460 Weatherby has been thumping that scope for 20 years without ever giving up. A truly underrated scope.

John
Frankly a lot of cartridges from 30-06 on up will work in Alaska. I believe most people choose either a favorite caliber or favorite rifle, and that should work just fine for most people. Probably better than picking some rifle to do a particular task, that you don't shoot as well. FWIW
My standard answer to this has been "if the 06 cant get it done, nothing will."
I went tru the typical gotta have a big magnum phase, but I've gone back to the basics and been totally happy with the 06. It's worked just fine on moose, caribou, black bears a wolf, coyote, and even porcupine.
5# 350 RM spouting 225XXX.... Little shorty Leupy 1.75x6 . And a peanut butter and jelly in my pocket. Pretty much stress free day....

W
My lightweight .338 Win...weighs 6lbs 13oz with a 2.5-8 Leupold.

Not much you can't do with a 225gr Accubond at 2900fps.
If I were to hunt in Alaska again, I would use my 300 Weatherby unless I would be hunting coastal brown bears where I would use my .375 RUM.
Not that Alaska is in the works or even likely, but I always figured a trip there would be a good reason to buy a new rifle. smile

Since I already have a .45-70 and a .338 WM, the current candidate would be a .375 Ruger.

In the unlikely event, the rifle and cartridge would be determined by where and what I was hunting. I doubt the .375 Ruger would be the one if hunting caribou.

Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Originally Posted by RJM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bob

My .460 Weatherby has been thumping that scope for 20 years without ever giving up. A truly underrated scope.

John

WAY...WAY....underrated. It was probably Tascos best line of scopes. When Bushnell bought Tasco and Simmons they closed out the Titan line. Wholesale had been $236.00...my wholesaler closed them out at $110.00...I bought over 50 of them and resold all of them on GunBroker and ebay for double the money.

I still have two and just found a 3-12 (?) that I use on the Ruger if I need a little more power...for $90.00.

Bob

Kimber Montana 84L in 30-06. Cut an inch or two off the barrel and mount a Leupold 3.5-10x40 or 6x36 in Talley lows. Shoot 180 gr Partition for most everything maybe a 220 gr Partition for the big bears.
Easy answer... I'd keep my pre '64 Winchester 338Magnum.
© 24hourcampfire