Home
What does everyone know about Xbolt trigger adjustments? Backed screw out under bottom metal and it's still over 4lbs. Looking for 2 or less. Earnie the Gunsmith don't sell springs any more. Any info will be greatly appreciated!!!
I don't know if a spring for the new Winchester trigger is the same or not.
Mine backed off to a low setting, but I didn't measure it. I would shoot it a bit to let things smooth up on their own.
Hey guys, Im really having a hard time with this one!! There must be some Browning fans that can help? Where can I get a different trigger spring? Or has anyone got a different solution??

119 guys read this but I only got 2 responses.
Also I contacted Browning and they did not want to discuss this because of all the legalities.
Brownells should have springs
Did you try flushing it out and readjusting? I've adjusted 2 xbolt sand both came down just under 3 pounds.
Mine also won't adjust below 4 pounds. What does "flushing" a trigger mean?
Try flooding the trigger housing with Rem-oil and blow out with compressed air. I've had chunks of metal flush out of Remmy triggers doing that.
Bic pen spring will do the trick.
Originally Posted by Darktimber
Bic pen spring will do the trick.

Are you serious? Aren't they way too long?

Have you done one? From what I understand, this is much more complicated than replacing the A-bolt spring.
get used to it or sell it.....
There has to be a way, since they used to sell the springs. I'll see if I can find out how to do the Bic pen spring trick.
Originally Posted by postoak
There has to be a way, since they used to sell the springs. I'll see if I can find out how to do the Bic pen spring trick.

That sounds like a GREAT idea, use a spring off a pen in a centerfire rifle cause it was on an internet forum
Well, I found a youtube video on how to do it on the A-bolt II, but the X-bolt trigger is a different kettle of fish. I also found a place where I can buy original x-bolt trigger springs, but I'm afraid to take the trigger apart.
Originally Posted by Double_D

That sounds like a GREAT idea, use a spring off a pen in a centerfire rifle cause it was on an internet forum

Yeah, especially with a brand noted for questionable metalurgy. I am certain ball point pen springs are only made of the very best steels with an impeccable pedigree. Surely they are more critical than a simple high-power rifle.
I think you're stuck with it. Mine doesn't have much adjustment and you can remove the adjustment screw completely without any ill effect. Looks like it adjusts against a plate of some sort. I'm not sure how heavy mine is but I'm happy with it.
You could always order a ernie the gunsmith spring for the Model 70 MOA trigger...remove the spring from your Xbolt and compare...They might or might not be the same diameter.It will be a 10 dollar experiment...maybe you can cut off one coil and see how that works.

If not sure just bring it to a "good" gunsmith . There is no way that the trigger pull weight can not be reduced with that design
Ernie quit selling the spring apparently because reassembly is such a painintheass he got tired of all the time on the phone telling guys how to put it back together. FYI
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
You could always order a ernie the gunsmith spring for the Model 70 MOA trigger...remove the spring from your Xbolt and compare...They might or might not be the same diameter.It will be a 10 dollar experiment...maybe you can cut off one coil and see how that works.

If not sure just bring it to a "good" gunsmith . There is no way that the trigger pull weight can not be reduced with that design

And there it is, the worst advice ever for someone attempting to reduce a spring pressure. Cutting a coil off ALWAYS makes the spring stiffer. Very simple physics.

Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

And there it is, the worst advice ever for someone attempting to reduce a spring pressure. Cutting a coil off ALWAYS makes the spring stiffer. Very simple physics.

Worst advice , not hardly

You also left this part out of the statement

I was directly referring to the comment in bold about cutting off a coil of the spring... that is the worst advice possible if you are trying to lighten a spring.
Really? Even if you stretch the shortened spring out to the same length as the original? I'm not arguing, but I've heard that about shortening springs (on autos as well as triggers) for decades and you're the first one I've heard say it didn't do what people thought it was going to do.
Anyway, I took the rifle to the range today after backing the screw out, and the pull is okay. Certainly okay for in the field. I like them lighter than that for bench work, but I can live with it. Also, I've decided my new Lyman Trigger Gauge is way off and this pull isn't 4 pounds, but rather more like 3.
Really? Even if you stretch the shortened spring out to the same length as the original? I'm not arguing, but I've heard that about shortening springs (on autos as well as triggers) for decades and you're the first one I've heard say it didn't do what people thought it was going to do.

By very simple physics it is impossible to make a spring lighter by cutting off a coil. You also reduce the range of the spring and if you can stretch your spring out you are really going onto shakey ground.
Did you ever get the trigger lightened? I'm trying to decide if I want to mess with one
I did the lighter spring approach on my two x-bolts and it turned a bad trigger into a good 2#. I did not cut the original spring but replaced it.
I see. Bummer though Ernie no longer sells the springs
I noticed that Timney now makes a replacement trigger for the X-bolt. But at $175 I can't see myself buying one.
I noticed that Timney now makes a replacement trigger for the X-bolt. But at $175 I can't see myself buying one.

A little cheaper at Midway. Not much more than a 700 trigger.

If you don't care for the Timney look at one of these. http://www.jardinc.com/new-page-69/

I actually think the Jard has dropped around $20 from a couple years ago.

Will be looking at the Timney.
Another option.

https://www.mcarbo.com/browning-x-bolt-trigger-spring-kit.aspx
To the OP.....I don't know if you can get it to 2 lbs, but I installed one of these springs and have a very good 2.5 lb trigger, in my hells canyon X bolt. Kind of a new approach to replacing the spring, without having to tear the trigger assembly apart. Watch the video, down the page. Andy3

https://www.mcarbo.com/browning-x-bolt-trigger-spring-kit.aspx
10gaugemag and I must have been responding at the same time. Great minds..........as they say!
Originally Posted by Andy3
10gaugemag and I must have been responding at the same time. Great minds..........as they say!

Don't know how great my mind is!! Will watch that vid. Probably replace my spring first and if I still don't like it I may go with the Timney.

I like light triggers.
ha - you last two posted before I could paste! Happy Saturday morning fellas.
Wow guys, that kit is awesome and I'll be ordering mine today! Their spring *does* look like a Bic Pen spring, though, LOL.

I feel kind of bad now, I spent two years trying to convince Timney to come out with an X-bolt trigger and now I'm not sure it will sell well with this spring kit on the market.
A whole lot easier then replacing the spring on the Winchester MOA trigger.
I must admit..... Its' the first time I've used an ice pick to pry out a trigger spring, and my leatherman to pull the mangled mess out of the housing!
Andy3
The video from MCarbo puts everything in perspective!!
-
It seems like its a little rough treatment of a trigger but after the new spring is installed you can adjust it up and down to suite your taste. I like the idea of using this trigger rather
than spending $200 on a new one and throwing the old one away. many people are happy with this setup.
Well guys, this is much, much harder than it looks in the Mcorbo video. In fact, I couldn't do it. The spring is barely visible from above (the bottom) and not visible at all from the front. I gave up.

But then I thought, since that spring isn't going anywhere, why don't I just leave the adjustment screw out entirely? So I did and the trigger pull dropped from 3 3/4 pounds to 2 1/4 pounds.
Well guys, this is much, much harder than it looks in the Mcorbo video. In fact, I couldn't do it. The spring is barely visible from above (the bottom) and not visible at all from the front. I gave up.

But then I thought, since that spring isn't going anywhere, why don't I just leave the adjustment screw out entirely? So I did and the trigger pull dropped from 3 3/4 pounds to 2 1/4 pounds.

Screw is out of my X-Bolt and in a pill bottle. Wish it was lighter but I will live with it, put a new spring in or just bite the bullet and drop a Timney in.
Trigger pull on my X-Bolt was a bit heavier than I like- I backed the adjustment screw all the way out, then put it back in with a couple of threads holding it. Tested the pull, at 3 lb. I can live with that, especially in a hunting rifle.
I had been putting off installing an M-Carbo spring in my X-Bolt, but finally got around to it last weekend. I fumbled around a bit trying to compress the factory spring and ease it out one of the holes, but that wasn't working too well. After a few minutes I watched the how-to video, and a few minutes after that I was done! Just hooked a coil of the spring with my pick, ripped it out the side and dropped the new one in the screw hole. Super easy. The new spring gives you a good bit more range, and a lower minimum pull weight.

The heavier trigger pull was about the only thing I didn't like about my X-Bolt, with that no longer a problem, I might have to pick up another.
© 24hourcampfire