Home
Posted By: bigswede358 375 Ruger VS. 338 Winnie - 12/28/14
Just doing a little thinking here. Yes, it does hurt.

Is there any real world difference between the 2 cartridges for average big game hunting? I'm talking shots from 450 yds down to 10 yds. On game from deer up to elk, black bear, and if I'm ever lucky enough moose.

I own a 375 Ruger in the Alaskan package, my load pushes a 270 Hornady at 2600. It is not a max load but shoots awesome.

Not really any need for a 338 win mag besides having a new gun that I can see.

Mostly just a winter time conversation here. That and I've been drooling over a MRC in there all weather model. Man they make a nice looking CRF package.
They sure do make a hell of a nice package. However, the 338 win mag won't do anything any better than your 375 Ruger already does. Except maybe recoil a bit less. With this being said, the 338 win mag is also a favorite of mine and I wouldn't be without one in the stable. Furthermore, this doesn't sound like a comparison thread, just an excuse to buy another rifle. I'd say do it!!!!
Originally Posted by bigswede358

Is there any real world difference between the 2 cartridges for average big game hunting? I'm talking shots from 450 yds down to 10 yds. On game from deer up to elk, black bear, and if I'm ever lucky enough moose.

I own a 375 Ruger in the Alaskan package, my load pushes a 270 Hornady at 2600. It is not a max load but shoots awesome.

Mostly just a winter time conversation here. That and I've been drooling over a MRC in there all weather model. Man they make a nice looking CRF package.

I don't see any reason to limit my self on rifles on good calibers. My 375 is an H&H because I haven't found a stainless 375 Alaskan, when I do I will buy it. But I typically have at least two 338 WM's. Why a guy would limit himself is beyond me.
Good advice, buy never sell.. I always regret it when I sell. At present, I have no .338 but do have a .340 and .375 H & H.. Used the H & H on moose and elk this year.. Haven't shot the .340 in maybe 5 or 6 years, but I MIGHT NEED IT SOME DAY.. So I will keep it in the safe.. I have younger friends that are going to inherit quite a few guns someday.. Buy the .338.....
No doubt some first class enablers here.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 375 Ruger VS. 338 Winnie - 12/29/14

No.

But if you want another rifle that's a different conversation.
Originally Posted by local_favorite

What.... whistle
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

What.... whistle

Hey, not judging, takes one to know one. This place is like AA, just without the recovery process. Personally, I've never met a .22 pistol I didn't like.
Posted By: The_Yetti Re: 375 Ruger VS. 338 Winnie - 12/29/14

What.... whistle

Hey, not judging, takes one to know one. This place is like AA, just without the recovery process. Personally, I've never met a .22 pistol I didn't like.

This place ain't like AA, no room for quitters around here!!!

laugh
Posted By: Slavek Re: 375 Ruger VS. 338 Winnie - 12/29/14

Both are equally good choice for American farmer after heavier game though one with name bigswede358 would be wise to change it to bigamerican35 and look at .35 Newton. Why? Ammo and brass are made of unobtainium so it would have to be custom loaded for you. It would be analogous to getting tailored suit and custom made leather shoes. Ruger and Winchester are well, ......genetic stuff, not good enough. That is like buying suit & shoes at Ralph Lauren outlet. A baron should not do that!
Originally Posted by The_Yetti

What.... whistle

This place ain't like AA, no room for quitters around here!!!

laugh

This place has cost me a lot of money... I'm glad I'm not the only one in the same boat though laugh

Boy you ain't kidding there!! laugh
Originally Posted by Slavek

Both are equally good choice for American farmer after heavier game though one with name bigswede358 would be wise to change it to bigamerican35 and look at .35 Newton. Why? Ammo and brass are made of unobtainium so it would have to be custom loaded for you. It would be analogous to getting tailored suit and custom made leather shoes. Ruger and Winchester are well, ......genetic stuff, not good enough. That is like buying suit & shoes at Ralph Lauren outlet. A baron should not do that!

I took the screen name when I had a 358 Norma built years ago, its the Big Swede and the 308 Norma the little swede. That and my great grandpa was 100% Swedish immigrant.

My 350 Rem Mag cures my 35 caliber itch at the present.
Posted By: 1Nut Re: 375 Ruger VS. 338 Winnie - 12/29/14

Boy you ain't kidding there!! laugh

Buy the 338. Make sure you have every base covered.

I do not have a problem. I do not need help. Neither do you. We are not influenced by these enablers. grin
Posted By: KenMi Re: 375 Ruger VS. 338 Winnie - 12/29/14
possibility of lighter bullets in the 338 down to 160 grain
bigswede I hate to be the wet blanket and challenge the enablers because the cartridges mentioned are all swell.... smile

.... but if you load that 375 Ruger to over 2900 fps(pretty easy,and I would not be surprised to see it hit 3000 fps from a 24" barrel) with a 250 TTSX,some further reflection, no matter how painful, will show that it's easily as good as any medium you can buy and better than many.

Use on the animals you mention will prove you don't need anything else in a medium bore.

The 250 gr Bitterroot in the 375H&H at those velocities showed me that back in the late 80's/ early 90's. The 250 TTSX is likely just as good.

Deer (if you want)to brown bear...it'll cover it all.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: 375 Ruger VS. 338 Winnie - 12/29/14
Bob,

Your 375 example with 250 TTSX at 2950 fps does surprisingly well on paper out to 450+ yards. Similar to the 225 TTSX at 2900 fps from the 338. Even compared to the best 250gr high BC bullets in 338 at 2700 fps.

My only concern would be the recoil from prone if shooting at 450 yards is really a priority for BigSwede, and practice is in the game plan.

I had a 375R shooting the 260gr NAB at 2900+ fps. It kicked like a mule from prone shooting out to 500 yards. In comparison, the 225gr TTSX at 2900 fps was very manageable from the 338. Rifles were very close in terms of overall weight, no brakes. My buds thought the 338 had too much recoil, the 375 would have hurt them!

The 260gr at 2700 fps seemed much more manageable during load development but that's 338 territory.

Still, the 375 seems like a versatile cartridge... with the option for 300gr loads. I can see why so many people like it and skip right past the 338.

Jason
I will be no help at all here as I have a 375R and plan on getting a 338 in the next few months...just cause I want one. I need neither!!
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
I will be no help at all here as I have a 375R and plan on getting a 338 in the next few months...just cause I want one. I need neither!!

You're right not much help at all wink

What is your 375 in?
Bob,
I have the 20" Alaskan model. I sling 270 gr Hornadys at 2640 fps. It is not max load but it shoots really well. The old Hornadys I shoot have a BC of .485. They shoot just about as flat as I need for as far as I shoot. First critter I killed with it was a little raghorn bull at 376 yds. Bullet didn't hardly drop at all, that was with a 1.5-5x Leupy also. I've since went to a 2-7, a little more practical.

I did work up a load with the 250 Sierra gamekings, I got them going about 2800 with a nice tight group. There really wasn't a whole lot of difference with a ballistics calculator when compared to my 270 load. I know that is not actual experience but they usually come pretty close.
It's a ruger but a non-catalog gun. Stainless with 23" barrel and gray laminated stock, no muzzlebrake, with sights.
Sounds like a nice one. Any pics?
4th Point/bigswede: Yes it can romp a bit from prone but personally I always got a hoot shooting the 375 H&H and 250....it shoved you around but didn't bite too hard. smile

Tes it is similar to a 338-225 combo;but with bigger cross section and I always liked that.

Anyway it's a "one bullet/one load" solution for anything soft skinned,this side of the world,and for someone not inclined to have a lot of mediums it cuts a big swath. smile
Posted By: Fotis Re: 375 Ruger VS. 338 Winnie - 12/29/14
Support the economy. Buy guns!
Suppose something goes haywire with the 375 just before or during a hunt.. He needs the .338 for a spare.. NO ONE has enough spares..
Have several spares for the spares.. Buy.. You'll not regret it.
Fotis I have done my share to boost the GNP....you can buy for me. smile
CDNN has em, and I believe only a few left according to their site. Wish they had a 338 in the same configuration. Go to hunting rifles and then 375 ruger on their site. I think they call it the african because of the 23" barrel, the alaskan has a 20" which they have only in left hand last time I looked.
There�s absolutely no sense in buying a 338 Mag if you already have a 375 Ruger and something in the 270,308,�06 range.

Spend the money on good boots, or better binos, or an out-of-state license somewhere new and exciting.
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
There�s absolutely no sense in buying a 338 Mag if you already have a 375 Ruger and something in the 270,308,�06 range.

Spend the money on good boots, or better binos, or an out-of-state license somewhere new and exciting.

I probably don't have much sense at all. My 4 big game rifles are 30-06, 300 WBY, 350 Rem Mag, and the 375 Ruger.

I actually thinned the safe out last year, oh it hurt for a while. It paid for a new roof on my house though. Thats gotta count for something, maybe insanity or something along those lines.
Sounds to me like instead of a 338, you need something on the light end of the spectrum!

Don�t blame you for getting rid of some guns to keep yourself dry. Guns are just stuff. The gun companies will be happy to sell you new ones to replace those lost to the roof purchase. grin
Posted By: noKnees Re: 375 Ruger VS. 338 Winnie - 12/29/14
Sounds like a nice one. Any pics?

I have one just like it, in fact I picked it up today. Here is where I got it. (picture too) Only two left

http://www.cdnnsports.com/375rug-hkm77lrsbbz-23-sts-bk.html#.VKHU-v8Dw

Prairie goat has a point. I can sell 'em if it comes down to that and often thought about selling to do a hunt out west. But I know what would happen, I'd sell the guns and then not be able to bring myself to drop 5K on an elk or moose hunt when there's other bills to pay. This way at least I have the guns!!
Yep, that's the one NoKnees.
Nice looking rifle. Seems like a good price on them as well. My Alaskan was $900 and some change when they first came out. I wouldn't have done it any different though. It sure is handy also with the 20" barrel in the thick timber of N. Idaho.
Posted By: efw Re: 375 Ruger VS. 338 Winnie - 12/30/14
If I were to do an MRC (Great choice BTW) and had a 375 Ruger there'd be no reason not to go 338 RUM IMHO.
Originally Posted by efw
If I were to do an MRC (Great choice BTW) and had a 375 Ruger there'd be no reason not to go 338 RUM IMHO.

And find a stash of old Speer 275 gr bullets grin
Posted By: efw Re: 375 Ruger VS. 338 Winnie - 12/30/14
Naw... 285 gr AMs!
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Bob,

Your 375 example with 250 TTSX at 2950 fps does surprisingly well on paper out to 450+ yards. Similar to the 225 TTSX at 2900 fps from the 338. Even compared to the best 250gr high BC bullets in 338 at 2700 fps.

My only concern would be the recoil from prone if shooting at 450 yards is really a priority for BigSwede, and practice is in the game plan.

I had a 375R shooting the 260gr NAB at 2900+ fps. It kicked like a mule from prone shooting out to 500 yards. In comparison, the 225gr TTSX at 2900 fps was very manageable from the 338. Rifles were very close in terms of overall weight, no brakes. My buds thought the 338 had too much recoil, the 375 would have hurt them!

The 260gr at 2700 fps seemed much more manageable during load development but that's 338 territory.

Still, the 375 seems like a versatile cartridge... with the option for 300gr loads. I can see why so many people like it and skip right past the 338.

Jason

I was recently shooting some 285gn Barnes TSX's bullet at close to 2700fps in my .338 and have a box of 300gn Woodleigh Weldcore's on the bench should they be needed.

"Needed"......there's a word?

If you have a .375 anything, keep it.
If you have a .338 anything, keep it.

The only decision that divides these two, is if Africa is in the equation and only then, if the caliber is a legality for your hunt.

John
Sound advice right here ^^^^
Posted By: RinB Re: 375 Ruger VS. 338 Winnie - 01/01/15
Godzilla v King Kong
In a light rifle, I'm more than happy with the 338 Winnie...... I've seen some 338 RUM's around here that didn't sell very well. I'm talking years in the LGS.
Posted By: GSP814 Re: 375 Ruger VS. 338 Winnie - 01/01/15
Sweede--I don't have a 338 but own both the Ruger Alaskan and the 23" SS Hawkeye with laminated stock. I haven't shot the 23" but the Alaskan shoots 250 grain Barnes TTSX @ 2772 FPS into tight little clusters at 100 yards using H-380 (thanks Flattop-Johnny). Scope is a Leupold VX3 2.5x8x36.
GSP814,
My Alaskan isn't set up all that much different. Leupold European-30 2-7. 270 Hornadys a little slower than your Barnes.

© 24hourcampfire