Home
Posted By: CrankEmUp 260 Remington - Thoughts... - 01/12/15
With the 6.5 craze being in full force with the onset in popularity of the 6.5x284 and the emergence of the 26 Nosler are there any die hards out there who love the 260 Remington? I am asking this as I do not currently own this caliber but have several 6.5's including a 6.5x55, 264 Win Mag (2 pre-64's). Why should I buy the 260 Remington or why not? I understand that the 6.5x284 and the 26 nosler may have limited barrel life, and this may be the advantage to the 260 Rem.

Thoughts/
Posted By: SteveE Re: 260 Remington - Thoughts... - 01/12/15
Love mine 700 MR in a Micky stock
Whitetail hate it.
Originally Posted by CrankEmUp
Why should I buy the 260 Remington or why not?
Thoughts/

You should not. You have your 6.5 bases covered exceptionally well. If someone is complaining about the recoil of the mild 264 WinMag, they need to drop back to bunnyrabbits with 22's and call it good.

I have less than zero interest in the 260 or 6.5 Creedmore as the 264WM and the new Noozler round push the exact same high BC bullets, but at meaningful speed.

Why choose between high BC and speed when one can have both?
Great posts! I love my 264 WM's and have never felt the recoil. I have taken 2 of my biggest bucks with the standard pre 64 shooting a 130 accubond at 3100 fps.
Posted By: 16bore Re: 260 Remington - Thoughts... - 01/12/15
Hell yes...

And plenty of Lapua brass to boot. I'm partial to 2 for the price of 1. You've got 243 covered on the low end and 7-08 on the upper end if you twist it right, all in a sub 7# package.

[Linked Image]
I've noticed that the bigger cases are used by folks who shoot little with them. That does included some very serious hunters. If you want to own a rifle, sight it in, and then only shoot a few times a year at game, a .26 Nosler would be the rifle to own. But if you like to shoot your rifle several hundred times per year, the littler cases make sense too. Less powder, "meaningful" barrel life, and lots more fun. At least you can spend almost as much time shooting as barrel cooling with a small case! When I need to kill something big and far away, like a deer @ 300 yards, I can always borrow a bigger rifle smile.
Love the 260 Rem here, have had at least one since it was introduced in 1997. My current one is a LH Savage Predator Max 1 that shoots very well. My wife has a really nice 6.5x55, a left hand Tikka T3 and I also have a custom LH Rem 700 in 264 Win Mag and love the round as well. If you have a good 6.5x55 there is no need for a 260 (goes the other way too) but there is no problem have more than one similar round. It is a really easy cartridge to work with.
Great posts! I love my 264 WM's and have never felt the recoil. I have taken 2 of my biggest bucks with the standard pre 64 shooting a 130 accubond at 3100 fps.
130 gr. Bullet and Reloder 17 = 3050 ........ from a .260 with a 25" barrel.
I have used a .260 on prairie game here for the last four years and am quite pleased. If anything the 130 gr. berger VLDS are a bit much for antelope. I had a .264 back before all the new powders came out and it was not as impressive as I thought It should be.
300 Savage - I am the same way with regard to all of my magnums. I may shoot them 10 x's per year to check zero and then shoot game.
See profile name on this post!!!! laugh
I bought the 6.5x55 for my daughters to shoot (11 & 8). It is a model 70 featherweight - Mint and a really good shooting rifle. This will be their hunting rifle and was thinking about another gun for me (like I really need one) LOL.
CrankEmUp, I understand the need for the power of a big case for special purpose uses, such as large/dangerous game or very long range shooting. They just have more power. But I think the little cases are useful too, often getting 80% of the velocity for a given weight bullet but using about 50% of the powder. Maybe there is room for them all smile.

Well you need to find some kind of reason, lol. I do actually like to have both the 260 and 6.5x55 and have loads worked up for both, no mix ups that way which in theory anyway can happen with loads in the same cartridge.
Yes - I agree. I can honestly say that I really dont enjoy shooting a lightweight 300 mag, at the range, but love to shoot period. Repetition and the practice of shooting mechanics does nothing but help sharpen skills for the field. I have several 700 BDL varmint calibers and barrels to match. Would much rather shoot them than the magnums any day at the range.
Gerrygoat, did you kill that goat with a your 260?
Posted By: ribka Re: 260 Remington - Thoughts... - 01/12/15
I own a few 6.5x55's a 264 and picked up a 260 rem this past year. 123 gr amax with 4350

A few deer and a cow elk this year. 200-400 yds. Really enjoy shooting it

I'm a big fan of the little 260. For a modest 40 and a bit grains of powder you've got 1200 ft/lbs of energy left at a 1/4 mile with my 120 ttsx load and an absolute pussy cat to shoot. What's not to like 'course you can do even better with heavier bullets those numbers were just handy. If you need more reach for your hunting situations by all means get a six five with a bigger case but I find the 260 all I need for most of my hunting.
I'm having my factory barrel replaced by a Krieger so I'll have a Sako 85 260 take off barrel this summer sometime.

Have had a 260 since '01, one of my favorite rounds for deer. Just got into the 6.5x55 less than 2 years ago and like it too. The 260 has probably killed more deer than any other rifle I own.
Gerrygoat, did you kill that goat with a your 260?

Actually it was with the 264 WM and 130 gr Swift's @ 3200 fps. Shot one the previous year with the same load too, they worked very well. I have bagged one goat with the 140 gr Partition in my original 260 Rem, it worked great. Not sure I want to haul my current 9 1/2+ lb 260 up a mountain though, lol

I'm awaiting some 120 gr E Tips that are on order for the 264 WM should work as well as the Swift's did.
Posted By: jwall Re: 260 Remington - Thoughts... - 01/12/15
Crankemup --

YES you do have the 260 caliber, it's .264 the SAME as every cartridge you listed !! lol. lol

Why stop short? Go all the way ----270 Win. (277) !!
With a 260 you get the same ballistics as the 270 without the gay
Salty, I have a 270 Win coming as well there is plenty of room for all the 6.5's and this new gun too smile
Thats a trophy - i hunted utah last year for mule deer and saw a ton of those. Did not have a tag� but hope to one day.
Originally Posted by jwall
Crankemup --

YES you do have the 260 caliber, it's .264 the SAME as every cartridge you listed !! lol. lol

Why stop short? Go all the way ----270 Win. (277) !!

I know. I have several of those too! LOL
Posted By: jwall Re: 260 Remington - Thoughts... - 01/12/15
Hey Crank...

Glad you have a sense of humor!!! It's dreadfully missing in some round here.

Jerry
Another 260 fan here. It's a great caliber and very enjoyable to shoot. I believe there is room at the table for the 260 sitting beside the Swede and your 264 Win Mag.
I got the itch for a 260
Originally Posted by Salty303

It can be close depending on the bullet, but you gotta compare apples to apples.
Originally Posted by jwall
Hey Crank...

Glad you have a sense of humor!!! It's dreadfully missing in some round here.

Jerry

I would hate to go through life without laughing at myself most of the time and others part of the time!
Posted By: Pete E Re: 260 Remington - Thoughts... - 01/12/15
I have a .260Rem built on an older Sako action and *really* like it for deer.

That said, from a purely practical point of view, the 6.5x55mm covers the same base.

Excuse for a new/different rifle? Sure..Brass a bit easier to get? Certainly...

If either of those reasons tick the right boxes, go for it!
I've come to the conclusion that the .260 (Creed/x47/Swede) is about the most gun that pretty much everybody can shoot. New Shooters/Women/Utes/etc...... it rarely, if ever, seems like too much gun..... yet it's plenty potent ballistically, both externally and terminally.

It's what the .270 is in the field, without the additional noise/recoil..... and what the .308 always wanted to be in the air, again without the additional recoil.....

Too bad they don't make a .260x47 La'Creedishton..... it would rule....
A classic stocked McSwirly twisted 1:8 and punched AI would be stellar.
Originally Posted by safariman
If someone is complaining about the recoil of the mild 264 WinMag, they need to drop back to bunnyrabbits with 22's and call it good.

Too funny. The .260 is a great round; guys who shoot a lot really like it; guys who shoot not so much tend to go with the .264 WM.

Originally Posted by smokepole
If someone is complaining about the recoil of the mild 264 WinMag, they need to drop back to bunnyrabbits with 22's and call it good.

Too funny. The .260 is a great round; guys who shoot a lot really like it; guys who shoot not so much tend to go with the .264 WM.

The 294 WM is Uber! The 260 is practical and makes sense. So of course you have to choose the 264!

This is how I feel as well. I have a 6,5x47 Lapua. If one needs more than that for big game, then they simply need to shoot more. I have a cranky thingy on top of my scope. That makes up for any of that needed speed. I just do not see the reason for the recoil of a WM for another 150-200 fps. All the while, burning 60% more powder. No sense, does it make.

It's better than ass -shooting a bear at moderate distances because of a flinch.
Posted By: 1Nut Re: 260 Remington - Thoughts... - 01/12/15
Originally Posted by Salty303

I've got multiple rifles of each. I guess I'm 'conflicted'.

On a serious note, my experience with the 6.5 is all good, but I love the 260 Rem. I've owned one since Remington made the Panther a factory round. To my way of thinking, it is the most efficient of the 6.5s, delivering the bullet at the best velocity over the spectrum of most common hunting distances. All in rifles that are lightweight and very accurate.

My experience with 125 Noslers through 140 Cor-lokts are good. Right now 125 NPs at 2700FPS are killing all kinds of chit. Gotta have an 8 twist. Now Remington has that in their new SPS.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: 260 Remington - Thoughts... - 01/12/15
CrankEmUp- 260 is may favorite cartridge but you already have it covered with the 6.5x55.

I mean unless you just want one- who can blame you.
If'n the .260 had come out earlier, my username would have different digits in it. The only reason to go bigger is if elk are a significant percentage of your quarry.
Posted By: JPro Re: 260 Remington - Thoughts... - 01/12/15
The 6.5-7mm stuff on cases approximating the capacity of the NATO hull (+/-) are definetely in a "sweet spot" for enjoyable and effective big-game rifles.
Yep, and you could even add 6.0 to that.

Serious question though for 1Deernut:

Where can I get me one of those cranky things?
CrankEmUp: I have proven to myself that the 260 Remington is an excellent Mule Deer, Antelope and Whitetailed Deer cartridge.
Its also an inherently accurate cartridge with LOW recoil and again, is impressively lethal on the above mentioned medium sized game.
If those things appeal to you, as they do to me, then the 260 Remington is "lovable" and desirable.
I know I won't be trading mine in any time soon.
Good luck to you if you decide to try one.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I'm feelin the love for the 260 here its a wonderful thing. However amongst 260 loonies I have a confession to make I just sold a 260 but only because it was a)a Salvage and b) I've got another one. I have my eyes peeled for a game/set/match Uber 260 as time goes on possibly a Montana or maybe custom.
Yep, and you could even add 6.0 to that.

Serious question though for 1Deernut:

Where can I get me one of those cranky things?

I owned a Model 7 in 260-- Stainless. Picked it up the year Remington introduced the factory chambering.

The most accurate I own is a Tikka T3.

I just found a Model 700 SPS (8 twist) on Bud's. Have not messed with it yet. Took a while to find it...
Thanks for the reply Deernut, but sorry, I should have asked the question of Pahntr, I was curious about the cranky thing he was talking about:

Originally Posted by Pahntr760
This is how I feel as well. I have a 6,5x47 Lapua. If one needs more than that for big game, then they simply need to shoot more. I have a cranky thingy on top of my scope. That makes up for any of that needed speed.

It sounds like it really helps, I'm thinking when you dial it up it makes the bullet go faster?
Thanks for the reply Deernut, but sorry, I should have asked the question of Pahntr, I was curious about the cranky thing he was talking about:

This is how I feel as well. I have a 6,5x47 Lapua. If one needs more than that for big game, then they simply need to shoot more. I have a cranky thingy on top of my scope. That makes up for any of that needed speed.

It sounds like it really helps, I'm thinking when you dial it up it makes the bullet go faster?

Really? Hell, I needs me one!

I have come to the conclusion that I need to try one!
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
CrankEmUp: I have proven to myself that the 260 Remington is an excellent Mule Deer, Antelope and Whitetailed Deer cartridge.
Its also an inherently accurate cartridge with LOW recoil and again, is impressively lethal on the above mentioned medium sized game.
If those things appeal to you, as they do to me, then the 260 Remington is "lovable" and desirable.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Just ordered one in a Nosler 48 TGR! They are running a deal...

This is how I feel as well. I have a 6,5x47 Lapua. If one needs more than that for big game, then they simply need to shoot more. I have a cranky thingy on top of my scope. That makes up for any of that needed speed. I just do not see the reason for the recoil of a WM for another 150-200 fps. All the while, burning 60% more powder. No sense, does it make.

It's better than ass -shooting a bear at moderate distances because of a flinch.

Good looking set-up. What kind of "cranky thing" is on top of that rifle? BTW, love the humor!!!
Posted By: Terryk Re: 260 Remington - Thoughts... - 01/13/15
I prefer the 260 to the 6.5 sweede because it is a true short action, and the bolt face is the standard diameter. The 260 is easy to form other calibers like 308, the sweede not so easy.
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Just ordered one in a Nosler 48 TGR! They are running a deal...

Nice! Lapua brass is your friend. ..
There have been some great prices on the last of the TGR's, all the ones I have heard about have been very accurate. I like Norma brass better than Lapua.
Originally Posted by gerrygoat
There have been some great prices on the last of the TGR's, all the ones I have heard about have been very accurate. I like Norma brass better than Lapua.

absolutely accurate, very accurate rifles. thanks for the advice
Thanks to everybody for your input
Posted By: las Re: 260 Remington - Thoughts... - 01/13/15
My 260 Rem 700 stainless TI takeoff bbl on the 725 has taken caribou from 200 to near 400, an elf at @ 150, wolf at 40. Planning on a moose probably under, as usual, 100.

For caribou and less, it's good to go to 500, dumphuk excluded.
Posted By: las Re: 260 Remington - Thoughts... - 01/13/15
Oh yeah it shoots like crap with factory loads. Except them 140's, which hover MOA plus/minus.. Corelokts do best.

Hand loads yet to be tried. I'm I'm in no hurry with that kind of factory load performance especially since I'm reload constricted at present location
Originally Posted by las
My 260 Rem 700 stainless TI takeoff bbl on the 725 has taken ...... an elf at @ 150.....

You've hunted Middle Earth?
Oh the poor elf........

lol
Posted By: 222Rem Re: 260 Remington - Thoughts... - 01/13/15
Personally, I think it'd be more fun to trap 'em. grin

Good looking set-up. What kind of "cranky thing" is on top of that rifle? BTW, love the humor!!!

If you put a bullet sticker on it, that's an easy free 50 fps.

I have the VX-2 3-9x40 CDS on the rifle. Works well with the 130 AB load I have for it. I am sending in for the one-turn zero stop with regular MOA markings. Should be slick.
What Is the cost for the zero stop for that one
If I was limited to hunt NA with just one cartridge (save the big bears & elves - although apparently it is capable laugh ) this would be the one.

PennDog
Keebler is down one!
© 24hourcampfire