Home
Posted By: BCHunter666 Rifle Opinions please - 01/17/15
Several years ago I had neck surgery and sold all 23 rifles I had. Now, I'm able to shoot and want just one rifle. The biggest thing I will ever aim at will be elk but mostly deer. Pick one rifle, one caliber, one scope, one set of mounts, and one stock if necessary and please let me know. Btw...no wildcats please, I want to be able to buy ammo anywhere. $3000 max budget
Posted By: BCJR Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/17/15
1. Model 70 (you pick the model) 30-06
2. Talley lightweight rings
3. Leupold 6x36
4. Go kill stuff
Posted By: donsm70 Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/17/15
30-06 in your favorite brand with a Leupold 3-9x40 scope and Leupold mounts and rings to match.

Again, your preference between wood or synthetic.

donsm70
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/17/15
Ruger American .243 with the Redfield revolution package. Mounted and ready to go.
Originally Posted by donsm70
30-06 in your favorite brand with a Leupold 3-9x40 scope and Leupold mounts and rings to match.

Again, your preference between wood or synthetic.

donsm70

Bingo, with the possible exception of the Leupold 2.5-8x36 depending on your average shot distance.
Cooper
.308 (less recoil than the 06 and about as effective)
Talley's
4-14 variable of your choice, I like magnification.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/17/15
What is the max recoil you can handle without pain?
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/17/15
Cooper Excalibur 7mm-08

Talley mounts

Leupold VX6 2-12X42
Posted By: powdr Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/17/15
Montana in .280 w/VX6 2-12X42 on top. Good for anything that ails you. powdr
Posted By: John_G Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/17/15
Neck surgery?

Why ask for more problems? I'd keep it pretty light in recoil while offering enough oomph for elk. Win 70 FWT in 7-08 or 308, Leupold scope of your choice (6x, 2.5-8x, or 3-9x) on Talley lightweights or Leupold dual dovetails.
Posted By: DonFischer Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/17/15
What ever it is I would make it on a 308 case, which will reduce recoil and something that use's a 140gr bullet very well. I would suggest the 260 Rem but don't think there's much ammo around for it. so the next step is the 7mmx08. Never shot one but have had several different 7x57's and they are close to the same. 308 would be a good choice if you could take the recoil. It's not bad but then I've never had a neck injury to deal with. Because you mentioned elk also, I would not consider the 24 and 25 caliber's. While I am certain they will work, get into the elk size game and I want more bullet weight. One thing to consider also is gun weight. How much of a problem is it going to be if the gun is under say 7#? Might look at something like. Just weighted my mod 70 featherweight, 8# with scope and sling. 8# is just not that hard to carry around and it does help in reducing recoil. For a scope it has a Redfield/Leupold 2-7x, Really like that scope. My favorite scope is a 2 3/4x Denver Redfield on my 30-06. I wouldn't fool with any variable that will go over 9x, for a hunting rifle even 9x will seldom be used. On my 2-7x, 5, 6, and 7x has never been used. I sight in on 4x mostly and hunt with it on 2x.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/17/15
Sako 7mm-08
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/17/15
CZ-550 American .270 Win
Medium Leupold rings(CZ has integral scope bases)
Leupold FX3 6x42 LRD
Montana Sling

Just like this one(no it's not for sale)
[Linked Image]
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/17/15
Winchester M 70 in either .270 or .30-06.

Leupold 6x36 or 6x42.

Whatever bases & rings you want.

180 gr Nosler Partitions in handloads or factory ammo.
Posted By: lastround Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/17/15
Well within your price range.....A Cooper Excaliber in either 7mm-08 or 308. Those two chamberings will do well for your stated purposes. Mine pictured below shoots great with both 120 gr. and 140 gr. bullets, especially well with 140 gr. Partitions. As you can see, with Talley LW mounts and a Leupold 2 1/2-8x36 it weighs seven and a quarter lbs. I have since installed a 6 x 36, reducing the weight to just a hair over 7 lbs.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BurninDupont Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/17/15
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Leupold 6x36 or 6x42.

The OP had neck surgery to the point where he had to sell all of his rifles. A 30-06 with 180's is not where I would steer him.

Get a Kimber Montana in 308. Leupold FX-3 6x42 or VX-3 3.5-10 in Talley Lightweight mounts. Look up the recent Kimber Montana thread by deflave and see how easy it was to get up and running. 308 factory ammo abounds and is cheap to boot. Lightweight gun, stainless steel, and a great trigger too. Good luck.
Posted By: BurninDupont Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/17/15
Oh and you're done with the rifle for $1100 which is hard to beat.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/17/15
Just one for me? It would be a Montana in 7-08 or 308.

If you're not concerned with weight, Pick up a ss Howaguard, re-barrel per whim, Timney, and stock of choice.

6x42 or 3.5-10x40 and Talley.

If you like wood and blue, just buy a Cooper or an older Sako Forester in great shape.
Posted By: lastround Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/17/15
[quote=lastround]Well within your price range.....A Cooper Excaliber in either 7mm-08 or 308. Those two chamberings will do well for your stated purposes. Mine pictured below shoots great with both 120 gr. and 140 gr. bullets, especially well with 140 gr. Partitions. As you can see, with Talley LW mounts and a Leupold 2 1/2-8x36 it weighs seven and a quarter lbs. I have since installed a 6 x 36, reducing the weight to just a hair over 7 lbs.

[Linked Image] [/q

Having said all the above, if you are only going to have one, you need to pick the platform that suits YOU the most.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/17/15
> Cartridge: 270 Win - Off the shelf 130gr pills plenty for deer. Off the shelf 150gr pills sufficient for elk.

> Scope: Leupold fixed 6x36 or 6x42 - A little less weight ? Or a little more hunting light ?

> Ring Mounts: Talley one piece light weight - Simple, light, they just work...

> Rifle: "Chevy, Dodge, Ford" - Handle as many different flavors as you can get your hands on and pick the one that feels best to YOU...

My primary quarry is KY Whitetails. I hope to get back to Colorado to chase elk again before I am too old. My answer to your question, looks like this:

[Linked Image]

Rem 700 KS .270 Win. Shown with Leupold 3x9 scope. Currently wears a Leupold 6x36. 7 lbs 2.5 oz. Only cost half of your $3K budget. Spend the rest on ammo and reloading equipment so you can roll your own reduced recoil practice loads. Then, go shoot...

Good luck with what ever route you choose to go. Glad to hear that you are feeling well enough to get back in the hunt...
Originally Posted by John_G
Neck surgery?

Why ask for more problems? I'd keep it pretty light in recoil while offering enough oomph for elk. Win 70 FWT in 7-08 or 308, Leupold scope of your choice (6x, 2.5-8x, or 3-9x) on Talley lightweights or Leupold dual dovetails.

That's probably how I'd roll, considering the circumstances.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/17/15
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Leupold 6x36 or 6x42.

Screwed up,only mentioned a choice of ammo for the .30-06.

In the .270 either 130 gr or 150 gr Nosler Partitions in handloads or factory ammo.
Posted By: NTG Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/17/15
I'm with some other comments. Go 7-08, 308, or 270win at the most. There's no need to get into more recoil than these offer especially where you've had neck surgery.

The exact package I'd choose (right now...anyway) would be a Nosler Patriot in 7-08. I'd use Burris Signature rings, and put a VX-2 3-9x40mm with the LR Duplex on and go kill stuff.
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/17/15
For $3k with any physical problem my route would not be to buy an off the rack rifle. For that kind of cash you can pick up a donor rifle in the action you prefer, maybe in the caliber you prefer and go to a smith who fits firearms and get a stock that fits you and pick your caliber.
If you like M70 for example in 270 they are relatively easy to find. Take it to your smith, have him fit it to you in synthetic or wood and you are set to go.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/17/15
I'd tune in to the "Montana Rifle Company" thread and throw a 3.5x10 VXIII on top of whatever floats your boat, caliber wise.

If you want to go light, then a Montucky 270.
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
For $3k with any physical problem my route would not be to buy an off the rack rifle. For that kind of cash you can pick up a donor rifle in the action you prefer, maybe in the caliber you prefer and go to a smith who fits firearms and get a stock that fits you and pick your caliber.
If you like M70 for example in 270 they are relatively easy to find. Take it to your smith, have him fit it to you in synthetic or wood and you are set to go.

Blacktailer and some of you other guys: Do you think the choice of 270 or 30-06 is wise since he's had neck surgery and problems (with pain) in the past that caused him to get rid of all his other rifles?
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/17/15
Remington 700 (older one that locks bolt shut) in 308 or 30-06, whichever floats your boat. Factory stock if you like the weight and recoil or spend $500 on a good light composite, add a Decelerator. Talley lightweights. Now we are in $1200 or so, $800 on a good scope that YOU like. Depending on options we are <$2K. If more class is desired an early Sako, if lighter is desired go for a T3
Posted By: 16bore Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/17/15
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Blacktailer and some of you other guys: Do you think the choice of 270 or 30-06 is wise since he's had neck surgery and problems (with pain) in the past that caused him to get rid of all his other rifles?

Good point, and one he should consider. Maybe lightest round available and just be a spotter on the elk hunt.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/17/15

No but I sure don't think a lightweight .308 or 7-08 is any improvement over a standard weight '06 or .270 either. My Tikka M695 in .30-06 was much more pleasant to shoot {less recoil} than my brothers 7-08 Micro Medallion.
Posted By: woofer Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/17/15
Weight aside I would love a Cooper repeater in 270. Sick wood with a fluted tube. Case hardened rings. Glossy VX3 in 3.5x10....

Flyweight would vote SS 70 Classic in an Edge. VX3 2.5x8 in Talleys.

Lights out would like a Defiance action, Edge stock, Bartlien tube in #2, Jewel, Talleys holdin' a Nightforce. In 270 smile

W
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/17/15

Part of the reason I suggested the CZ, a heavier rifle with a good pad will equal less felt recoil. My .270 isn't at all unpleasant in the recoil department and Federal "blue box" 130s will handle the majority of what he needs done.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/17/15
Originally Posted by Blackheart

No but I sure don't think a lightweight .308 or 7-08 is any improvement over a standard weight '06 or .270 either. My Tikka M695 in .30-06 was much more pleasant to shoot {less recoil} than my brothers 7-08 Micro Medallion.

My Montana 7-08 is a light kicker. I don't know if it's a combination of stock , recoil pad or just the fit but it kicks less than my 270 Finnlight that has a heavier scope. The recoil is actually not much more than my L579 Sako 243. That's all with 140's and under.

If I wanted to spend around $2000, I would get a Montana in either 243 or 7mm-08 and a VX3 2.5-8X36 with Talley Lightweights and be extremely happy. 243 is fine but I would lean toward 7mm-08 if elk were very likely. I would be very happy to hunt deer the rest of my life with a 243 and 80 grn TTSX.
Posted By: 1tnhunter Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/17/15
If you find a rifle you like in 260 Rem. it would cover your bases.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/17/15
378 Weatherby.
Posted By: drover Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/17/15
Interesting thread. I have had neck surgery also and still have lots of damage that could not be taken care of so I too have to be careful of recoil. I find that the 7/08 with 140's, or 308 with 150's, in a rifle weighing 7-1/2 to 8 lbs, is at the upper end of my tolerance unless I download them.

However since the OP has stated that he sold 23 rifles I suspect that he already has a pretty good idea of what will, or won't, work and is simply looking for verification of what he has already decided on.

drover
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Thanks blackheart. I was just trying to put myself in the OP shoes. He's wanting a good rifle that uses easily available ammo and he has had neck surgery. He'd be using it for mostly deer and an occasional elk. The only reason I was thinking the 7-08 might be just the ticket. It wouldn't have to be a fly weight rifle, maybe something in the 7 3/4-8 pounds "all up" category.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/18/15
That should work. I had a Weatherby vanguard .308 for awhile. Pretty big and heavy for a .308 but it was a real pussycat to shoot.
Posted By: SBTCO Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/18/15
Originally Posted by gitem_12
378 Weatherby.

There ya go, instant chiropractic adjustment on every shot.
Posted By: powdr Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/18/15
The 280 doesn't kick any more than a 7-08 or 308. If he must go lighter then get a 25-06 and use the 100gr for deer and the 120gr Partitions for elk. It's not like it hasn't been used a bunch on elk. powdr
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/18/15
Kimber in 7mm08 would be the lightest I would go and then a 270 in a standard weight rifle .
Posted By: 16bore Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/18/15
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter
If you find a rifle you like in 260 Rem. it would cover your bases.

Better check the classifieds, and quick....
Posted By: postoak Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/18/15
.243 or .25-06 in a standard weight rifle -- no featherweight or lightweight anything. The Model 70 Supergrade in .243 weighs a hefty 7 3/4 pounds. It's $1359.99. That's what I'd get.
Posted By: BCHunter666 Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/18/15
Thanks to you all folks. After reading I thought seriously about a 7-08. I used to own a tikka t3 and loved it. However, growing up and reading o'connor. I am going with a 270. I'll get a donar rem 700 , put a good barrel on it, have a laminated stock cut and lightened with cutout channels and butt, stain a very dark mahogany, a full point pattern checkering job, and cerakote in tungsten.

I'll post pictures when it's done. Still undecided about scope but probably leupold, perhaps zeiss depending on cost at the time. I believe this convo will give me what I want, modern, accurate, warmth of tradition and rock solid
Good luck with it bchunter...
Posted By: drover Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/18/15
Originally Posted by BCHunter666
Thanks to you all folks. After reading I thought seriously about a 7-08. I used to own a tikka t3 and loved it. However, growing up and reading o'connor. I am going with a 270. I'll get a donar rem 700 , put a good barrel on it, have a laminated stock cut and lightened with cutout channels and butt, stain a very dark mahogany, a full point pattern checkering job, and cerakote in tungsten.

I'll post pictures when it's done. Still undecided about scope but probably leupold, perhaps zeiss depending on cost at the time. I believe this convo will give me what I want, modern, accurate, warmth of tradition and rock solid

Why not one of the model 70 Jack O'Connor commemoratives, from what I read they are good shooters and that would give you an out of the package ready to go rifle. It is a near identical copy of his favorite rifle.

drover
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/18/15
Originally Posted by BCHunter666

I think you will be happy with that set up. I know I would be.
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: Rifle Opinions please - 01/18/15
Should be a nice rifle, good choice.
© 24hourcampfire