Home
I'm going to try some different ammo this year out of my .30-06. I've shot Remington Core-Lokt 165 grain for several years but I'm thinking about trying something different. I'm only interested in off-the-shelf ammo because I have no reloading equipment. What has been your favorite .30-06 shell for deer?
Federal "Blue Box" 150gr. All a guy really needs for deer, before I started reloading I shot a lot of whatever 150gr bullet was handy. The cheapie Federals always shot about the best.
The last factory load I used was Hornady's custom 165. Their 165 Interlock loaded by the factory.

My 30-06 handload for deer is the classic 57 grains of IMR4350 and... a 165 Hornady Interlock. I just rarely carry a 30-06 for deer any more.

The old Federal Blue Box "Power Shock" is hard to beat.
Nothing wrong with a 165 Core Lokt for price and performance. You can try a Nosler Ballistic Tip?

I use a 165 Hornaday Interlokt in my 06.
Can't speek for factory fodder but my 30-06 deer load is the same one I have used for everything from elk, pronghorn, deer here in the lower 48.....to eleven different species of game in Afrca

150 grn Accubonds pushed to my rifles comfort zone

165's on a TTSX sounds good but so do 165 Accubonds
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Federal "Blue Box" 150gr. All a guy really needs for deer, before I started reloading I shot a lot of whatever 150gr bullet was handy. The cheapie Federals always shot about the best.

This would be my first choice if I couldn't reload, followed VERY closely by the Hornady Custom 165 gr load.

My reloads of 57.0gr of H-4350 under a Hornady 165 gr Interlock beat both, but not by much in my Mod 700 Mt. Rifle.

Ed
I got to see Ed's rifle kill some stuff, and it works real well. miles
Federal Fusion is what you're looking for.
Last factory stuff I ran out of an '06 was the same Rem 165gr. core-loct that you're using. If I were to run factory ammo in my '06, I wouldn't change anything.
Back when I was using a 30-06 I used factory 150 gr Core Lokts for everything without a problem. If the 165's are working for you why change?
60 gr RL-22 under a 200 gr Partition for all things 30-06, deer included.
Another vote for Federal Blue Box.
Same as my favorite '06 load for all big game. 168TTSX, at about 2900, backed by RL-15 and WLRs in R-P brass.
U guys miss the part on factory ammo only?

Closest I can come to white tails is caribou. 150, 165, 180 all work fine in Corelokts. In my 27 inch heavy bbl rifle I am currently using Hornady SST 150 Superperformance for their flatter trajectory beyond 300 yards. Impressive wound channels. Corelokts 150s have marginal better groups in that rifle but not enough to matter. So far I have only taken 4 animals with the SSTs - 2 caribou on Nov 1 at 300 and200 yards, and the next day an orphaned caribou calf at maybe 70 yards and a moose at 30. All bang flops.

I must admit 180s are my fav for no particular reason. They all work about the same given proper placement.
I missed it biggern chit, only read the title. grin
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Federal Fusion is what you're looking for.

I have heard good things about these. Only experience I've had with them was sighting in a friend's rifle, him being a newbie and clueless. I didnt want to burn up anymore of his single box of ammo than I must and was switching from Corelokts to Hornady SST myself so did the initials with my "leftover" Corelokts, same weight as his Fusions.

I was quite surprised to find a vertical poi difference of nearly 6 inches at 100,the Fusions going low and an inch or two left of the Rems. Group sizes were very close.

I've drawn no conclusions or preferences from this without more comparison. Just throwing out the info.
180 round nose core lokt's.
Originally Posted by las
U guys miss the part on factory ammo only?

Closest I can come to white tails is caribou. 150, 165, 180 all work fine in Corelokts. In my 27 inch heavy bbl rifle I am currently using Hornady SST 150 Superperformance for their flatter trajectory beyond 300 yards. Impressive wound channels. Corelokts 150s have marginal better groups in that rifle but not enough to matter. So far I have only taken 4 animals with the SSTs - 2 caribou on Nov 1 at 300 and200 yards, and the next day an orphaned caribou calf at maybe 70 yards and a moose at 30. All bang flops.

I must admit 180s are my fav for no particular reason. They all work about the same given proper placement.

Read the title.

I don't shoot factory '06.
Read the post! OP doesn't do reloading so yours is useless to him. Get a life
Concerning the '06 and Whitetails, there's not a single round on this thread that would matter one way or the other.

How can you be bored with Core-lokts? What ain't they doing?
Load or buy some 150 grain Core-Lokts and your ready for any big game you can hunt in the lower 48.
I have had good luck with the 165gr Fusions.
When I used to hunt with my old BAR 30-06 and factory ammo I finally gravitated to Hornady 150 gr Interlocks. They're an absolute hammer on deer. To go really retro see if you can locate some Remington 150 gr Bronze Tip. Shot a couple of deer with those and it was impressive.
The schucetti data showed that a 180 RN SP with a muzzle velocity of about 2700 is ideal. Hornady or core-loct.
In the book "One Man, One Land , One Rifle", Jones killed every huntable NA animal except2 or 3 with the 180 RN.
I think he opted for the 200 on griz, polar and walrus.
http://www.amazon.com/One-Man-Rifle-Land-Hunting/dp/1571571698
double checking, he use the 165 gr. pattions for deer and like size game and the 200 gr. Partition for elk and the bigger stuff. Counting all the game he took including subspecies of some types he took 41 game animals with his rilfe up to and including the great bears.
Personally, if I had the money to go that route and had to use the 30-06, I believe I would have simplified it by just using the 180 gr. Nosler partition and not worrying about anything else. Actually, you could even get away with the 200 gr. Partition for everything if you want.
I'd just drop down to the 150 grn. core-loct. But on the other hand if the 165s have worked well for years, what are you trying to FIX, just sayin?
Originally Posted by ringworm
The schucetti data showed that a 180 RN SP with a muzzle velocity of about 2700 is ideal. Hornady or core-loct.
In the book "One Man, One Land , One Rifle", Jones killed every huntable NA animal except2 or 3 with the 180 RN.
I think he opted for the 200 on griz, polar and walrus.
http://www.amazon.com/One-Man-Rifle-Land-Hunting/dp/1571571698
double checking, he use the 165 gr. pattions for deer and like size game and the 200 gr. Partition for elk and the bigger stuff. Counting all the game h
e took including subspecies of some types he took 41 game animals with his rilfe up to and including the great bears.
Personally, if I had the money to go that route and had to use the 30-06, I believe I would have simplified it by just using the 180 gr. Nosler partition and not worrying about anything else. Actually, you could even get away with the 200 gr. Partition for everything if you want.

Jones states in the book that his ammo was handloaded by a close deceased friend so his aim was to complete the quest with that ammo. He matched the bullet weight as best he felt per species.
Is there any .30/06 load that doesn't work on Whitetail deer?
150 TTSX. 130 TTSX shoot less than an inch higher POI. Haven't tried those on deer yet, but smoked a big coyote with one this year. The 150 TTSX work awesome.
the same one you are using. works great and its $14.99/box
Federal Fusions will usually be the most accurate cheap factory ammo. 150 grainers shoot through deer and will break shoulders if needed.
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
Is there any .30/06 load that doesn't work on Whitetail deer?

I seriously doubt it.

BUT, Federal Premium with the 165 GameKing would probably be my choice since I've had outstanding results with this bullet in handloaded form.
Anything you use off the shelf in a .30-06 will kill any deer you can find. It is probably the best and most versatile caliber made. I have many, many others I use but if I recommend a rifle to any new hunter, the .30-06 is it. Nothing wrong with the 165's. A 150 or 165 would be what I would use for deer as long as my rifle liked them and shot them accurately.
In fact, the one in my logo is a .30-06. I have never shot it.
Originally Posted by CrazyCoot
I've shot Remington Core-Lokt 165 grain for several years but I'm thinking about trying something different.

How have the CL 165s been working thus far?
COoT- what rifle? where are you hunting? some loads may be as good ; i doubt you will find better.
Originally Posted by roninflag
COoT- what rifle? where are you hunting? some loads may be as good ; i doubt you will find better.

Browning A-Bolt
I hunt in TN and KY so most of my shots are less than 150 yards.
I'm going to try some different ammo this year out of my .30-06. I've shot Remington Core-Lokt 165 grain for several years but I'm thinking about trying something different. I'm only interested in off-the-shelf ammo because I have no reloading equipment. What has been your favorite .30-06 shell for deer?

My favorite is Federal Premium 180 gr Nosler Partitions.
I have used more 180 gr Core-Lokt's as they are cheaper.
I pretty much stick with handloads for deer these days. Usually 180 grain Nosler, Hornady or Core-Lokts over H-4350.

The 180's seem to ruin a bit less meat. Also, we don't need to re sight our rifles if they go for elk.
For what the OP wants to do, I would look at Fusions or PowerPoints in 165-180gr weights. I cannot see them being anything less than satisfactory on deer. Won't be as destructive as the 150's at close range. Get them about 1.5-2" high at 100yds and be set for anything inside 225yds or so. Point and shoot.
Factory ammo for whitetail? Whatever shoots well in your rifle.
I'm only interested in off-the-shelf ammo because I have no reloading equipment. What has been your favorite .30-06 shell for deer?

165 grain Cor-Lokts. Hey, you asked!

They shot the best, and were nearly the cheapest. I'm having trouble envisioning a pill that wouldn't work well on whitetails from a .30-06.

Pick whatever, then post pics of dead deer.

FC

Whichever of these three are available and shoot well in your rifle; Remington 165 grain Core Lokts, Federal 165 grain Power Shok, and Hornady American Whitetail 165 grain SPs.
Federal Premium 165 gr Gamekings.
© 24hourcampfire