Home
Before....

[Linked Image]

After.....two pounds of perfection!

[Linked Image]

I picked up the Timney at the SHOT Show. Couldn't wait to get home and drop it in. In three minutes from start to finish, I have a perfect trigger! No creep, just a clean 2lb trigger pull.

The factory trigger isn't bad, I just don't care for the blade.
No schit eh?

Travis
It's UBER. Can't wait until I get my hands on some more!
What's the diff between a 115 dollar trigger on a 350 dollar rifle and a set of 1000 rims on a 92 Pontiac?
You guys are something else, I swear.
Makes more sense than putting a $115 trigger in a $700 rifle.
Originally Posted by mdv1state
Makes more sense than putting a $115 trigger in a $700 rifle.

Not hardly!!
Wow timney for a ruger american fancy
Only shoot Wolf steel ammo in them too I guess, since it's a $350 rifle.

I wonder how many customs began as $349 Remington ADL's. Oh the horror.
Posted By: Tanner Re: More Ruger American Fun.... - 01/25/15
Originally Posted by ringworm
What's the diff between a 115 dollar trigger on a 350 dollar rifle and a set of 1000 rims on a 92 Pontiac?

Nobody is making you quit fondling your Sauers, I promise.

SAS,

Any idea what the Timney will cost? Seems like a good option for people who don't want to mess with the OEM trigger.

I pitched the blade and installed a really wimpy trigger spring in my RAR to ensure reset. And polished the trigger, but never touched the sear. Pull weight is acceptable but now you can feel the creep and would require some stoning. Overall its still much better than when it left the factory.

Jason
Posted By: KenMi Re: More Ruger American Fun.... - 01/25/15

Or spinner rims on oversized tires with dark tinted windows on a Monte Carlo. Screams ganster drive by.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Only shoot Wolf steel ammo in them too I guess, since it's a $350 rifle.

I wonder how many customs began as $349 Remington ADL's. Oh the horror.

Yah, but dem Walmart Rem 700s are real men's rifles...LOL
Congrats on the new trigger.
You is sneaky.
Posted By: UKdave Re: More Ruger American Fun.... - 01/25/15
Whatever next, a Zeiss or swaro (grin)
Yep! Just dropping a few hints Joel...

In response to some of the comments above:

I'm looking at this from a totally different perspective. Let's say you want a fast twist 223 to sling some 75's and bust steel way out there....

....the Ruger American gets you there and it doesn't break the bank.

Why not spend a little coin with a platform that's exceptionally accurate and reliable?

Upgrade the trigger, add a mag extension and maybe throw it in a different stock down the road?

The RAR gets you where you want to be with lots less money that it costs to convert an ADL "on the cheap". I have no desire now to buy a 12" twist Remington and send it off for a new barrel. I'm into this for half the cost and it shoots as well or better than the Remington conversions I've done in the past.

And for the 8" Tikka guys, they no longer import them so it's a mute point. The RAR is still less expensive after the upgrades than an off the shelf Tikka. I'm not afraid to compare accuracy notes either....
Originally Posted by 4th_point
SAS,

Any idea what the Timney will cost? Seems like a good option for people who don't want to mess with the OEM trigger.

I've no idea what others will list them for and I'll have to check on MAP, but I'll have them on the shelf for less than $100.
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I'm not afraid to compare accuracy notes either....

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing that matters is how far apart the holes are.

My RAR in 7mm-08 rivals just about anything in the accuracy department.

P
More ridiculous is people shooting 100 pound deer with a 376 Steyr.
Where do I get the magazine extension? Will buy the whole converted mag if needed...........yea i'm that desperate!
SAS,

I've no idea what others will list them for and I'll have to check on MAP, but I'll have them on the shelf for less than $100.

One $100 bill is well worth it if there's no creep and pull at 2lbs or less. My only RAR is chambered in 223... I wanted a fast twist factory rifle. Thanks for the info SAS.

Jason

I'm looking at this from a totally different perspective. Let's say you want a fast twist 223 to sling some 75's and bust steel way out there....

Why not spend a little coin with a platform that's exceptionally accurate and reliable?

Upgrade the trigger, add a mag extension and maybe throw it in a different stock down the road?

The RAR gets you where you want to be with lots less money that it costs to convert an ADL "on the cheap". I have no desire now to buy a 12" twist Remington and send it off for a new barrel. I'm into this for half the cost and it shoots as well or better than the Remington conversions I've done in the past.

And for the 8" Tikka guys, they no longer import them so it's a mute point. The RAR is still less expensive after the upgrades than an off the shelf Tikka. I'm not afraid to compare accuracy notes either....

^^^^This x10^^^^ I love my 700's but da hell with rebarelling when you can be on the road for half the price.
Posted By: 28lx Re: More Ruger American Fun.... - 01/26/15

I wouldn't have a problem putting a Timney in mine. [img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Maybe I'll AI it and drop it in a blue/pink McMillan with a pirate sticker on the butt...hmmm...maybe even a M1 turret.
sas- are the new stocks stiff enough that they won't touch the barrel when flexed? I'm in the market for a couple more but may wait until units with the new stocks are readily available before buying if they're markedly improved. Thanks.

I'm wondering if that's a hint that there's gonna be a few aftermarket stock makers making stocks? Any info you can share on that?
Posted By: cotis Re: More Ruger American Fun.... - 01/26/15
Originally Posted by bartman
Where do I get the magazine extension? Will buy the whole converted mag if needed...........yea i'm that desperate!

Bartman,
I built the mold and machine to make the mag extensions. ShortActionSmoker is taking over the operation and will be producing the mag extensions going forward. I do believe he will be offering them as complete assembled magazines.
SAS,

I can foresee myself being interested in one or two of them when you start getting them in.

Looks good! What can you guys tell me about the mag constraints/throat geometry with the SA version of these rifles? Thinking 7-08 and 162's here...
They're not going to fit if you're wanting to kiss. The rifle is throated nicely, but 162's are too long.

The 105's work in the 243 though and they've stabilized for me. They twisted the 223 right. If they'd use the 8" twist in the 22-250 and 243 I think they'd stumble into a market they've not seen yet. You'd see fewer builds and more guys would be tinkering/tweaking.

That would give guys some options to dabble at longer ranges without breaking the bank.
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: More Ruger American Fun.... - 01/27/15

SAS,

You are certainly more "in the know" regarding the Tikkas, but I just picked up an 8-twist. But it was at Sportsman's Warehouse. It may be left-over stock, or exclusive to them.
It's an exclusive.....and honestly, I probably spoke out of line because I forgot about the run for them.

Congrats on a fine rifle there! I like the Tikka's too.
Ahhh, thanks for the info.
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
sas- are the new stocks stiff enough that they won't touch the barrel when flexed? I'm in the market for a couple more but may wait until units with the new stocks are readily available before buying if they're markedly improved. Thanks.
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: More Ruger American Fun.... - 01/27/15
It's an exclusive.....and honestly, I probably spoke out of line because I forgot about the run for them.

Congrats on a fine rifle there! I like the Tikka's too.

SAS, I would never consider you "speaking out of line." It's all about sharing information, and you do that VERY WELL!

Thanks!
Just contacted Timney and found out that the Ruger American centerfire trigger is model #641C and it fits left hand models as well as right.

Timney will sell them to you directly, but I have not found any supplier who has them.

My Ruger American is a left hand 270 Win that shoots well after I freed up the forend, but the stock trigger is somewhat bothersome, so off to Timney I go.

Steve
Posted By: 1Nut Re: More Ruger American Fun.... - 01/27/15
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

No RAR for me until a different stock is available. Even then, a mag change will also be in order. With a trigger answer, now all that is necessary to peak my interest more is a stock option.

Still cheaper than an entire build, I guess.

This makes sense to me if a 1-8 is what you are after.

If it doesn't make sense to anyone here, maybe rifles aren't your game. How could it not make sense?

Now I can't say whether it is a better idea than an ADL or 1500 action, given a different chambering/twist. But it certainly isn't a bad idea either way.

I need to toy with a RAR soon. I would own one right now as a donor, if it weren't for the damn rotary magazine.....
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
No RAR for me until a different stock is available.

Didn't Boyd's come out with a stock for the RA or was it just for the rimfire version?

Jerry
They did, but I'm not a fan of 5 pound stocks.
Posted By: KenMi Re: More Ruger American Fun.... - 01/27/15
McMillan would stock it for twice the price of the gun
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: More Ruger American Fun.... - 01/28/15
I'm waiting for a6.5 Creed in SS.
I sure wish that Ruger would figure out a way to use the Rimfire stock layout with interchangeable rear modules on the Centerfire.

You could make the comb into whatever you wanted then.
It's your Rifle,if you like it thats all that matters...I think that trigger is perfect 2# w/no stupid blade,can't wait to find one for my wifes Axis II...ScottyO.
Shortactionsmoker as soon as you get em will you please PM me the price so we can get me one in the mail ASAP...Thanks ScottyO.
Things got funner....

The Boyd's stock is a perfect fit for the rifle. The ergo's are good and the weight isn't bad. I'm gonna like this...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: JMR40 Re: More Ruger American Fun.... - 02/09/15
It is a $350 rifle. Mine shoot great with no more than a generous floating of the barrel so it can't touch. The trigger is good enough for me. Start throwing $300 worth of "improvements" at it and there are better choices for $700 rifles.
what's the weight minus the scope?

Jerry
Originally Posted by JMR40
It is a $350 rifle. Mine shoot great with no more than a generous floating of the barrel so it can't touch. The trigger is good enough for me. Start throwing $300 worth of "improvements" at it and there are better choices for $700 rifles.

We sell the rifles for $386. Trigger is $100. The stock is $113.....that's $599 and I didn't spend it all at once. Unless I'm mistaken (and I'm not), the market isn't exactly flooded with 8" twist 223's that are throated right and shoot great.

You can't get anywhere close to what this rifle can do for $599....or $386 in its raw form for that matter....
Nice looking rifle SAS. What's the weight on the Boyds?
Posted By: NTG Re: More Ruger American Fun.... - 02/09/15
Good stuff IMO. SAS, you're using the modified mags I assume?
I like that stock what is weight scoped
Shortaction you sell thE stainless for $386? Is that shipped
I've not weighed it yet, but it's not as heavy as I expected. The scale will tell the tale, but I actually don't feel a difference between the Boyd's and the factory stock. If anything, balance is better in the Boyd's.
Originally Posted by pseshooter300
Shortaction you sell thE stainless for $386? Is that shipped

No...we charge for shipping. We still have several left at $386 though. Ruger raised the price -- a bunch actually -- for 2015. They'll be around $440 once we deplete our existing inventory. We have 20-30 left at last count...
Posted By: NTG Re: More Ruger American Fun.... - 02/09/15
Will you confirm, is the Boyds the prairie hunter stock?
Yes, it's the Prairie Hunter.
Originally Posted by JMR40

We sell the rifles for $386. Trigger is $100. The stock is $113.....that's $599 and I didn't spend it all at once. Unless I'm mistaken (and I'm not), the market isn't exactly flooded with 8" twist 223's that are throated right and shoot great.

You can't get anywhere close to what this rifle can do for $599....or $386 in its raw form for that matter....

Makes a lot of sense!
I've not weighed it yet, but it's not as heavy as I expected. The scale will tell the tale, but I actually don't feel a difference between the Boyd's and the factory stock. If anything, balance is better in the Boyd's.

That is a good deal.Your last sentence is important to me.Mine thru my 700 off balance. I think that it was a very dense piece of wood....stock weighed 41OZ
Hell, my Ruger American compact in 223 weighs 7 pounds 15 ounces right now. It has a 3-9x in Talley lwts, stock purse with a loaded magazine and 5 extra rounds and a Streamlight TLR-1 HL mounted on the front swivel stud.

It's becoming a hog and that's with the factory stock.

What Caliber Rifles Do You Have and Do You Use The Most?

577 Snider

Yikes, is that in a fast twist?
1-3"
Posted By: GeoW Re: More Ruger American Fun.... - 02/10/15

How you liking the Pontiac so far?

wink
© 24hourcampfire