Home
Montana Rifle Company has agreed to do an exclusive run for me at the shop and I plan to use that run as a group buy for 24hourcampfire members.

I've committed to a minimum of 25 rifles per quarter. (Minimum of 20 right hand rifles and 5 left hand rifles) We plan to do four runs a year. With that being said, I'm going to ask for your input. I want you involved and I need to hear what you want.

The initial run will be based off their X2-Extreme Weather Rifle. The rifles will be all stainless with their new stock.

We've been tossing ideas back and forth. It's time to decide! I need to place the order Tuesday or Wednesday. Here's what I need to know:

1. 260 (8" twist), 7-08 or 308.
2. 22" or 24" barrel.
3. Green or gray stock (both with black webbing).
4. Fluted barrel or no flutes.
5. Engraved floorplate (numbered, Whittaker Guns logo? -- all small)

The rifles are chambered right. They also have ample room in the mag box for high BC bullets.

Please tell me what you want from the list above. Futures runs will be solely based on your requests. I expect us to do some fun stuff with chamberings, twists, etc on future runs.

I'm not taking deposits yet. Once we've made a decision, I'll start a new thread with the exact specs for the rifle and instructions on how to get your place on line.

I can't post the price until the rifle is specified. Once the questions above are answered, the price will be displayed....but it will be in line with their current rifles.

Thoughts?

Darrik and Whittaker Guns are paying advertisers here, guys. He is good to go, as far as I am concerned.

I think you are going to see some verry interesting stuff coming from here. Stay tuned to Whittaker's Specials .... wink
260, 22", gray, no flutes. Skip the engraving.
Originally Posted by Calvin

I'd vote the same, but would rather do green.
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Montana Rifle Company has agreed to do an exclusive run for me at the shop and I plan to use that run as a group buy for 24hourcampfire members.

I've committed to a minimum of 25 rifles per quarter. (Minimum of 20 right hand rifles and 5 left hand rifles) We plan to do four runs a year. With that being said, I'm going to ask for your input. I want you involved and I need to hear what you want.

The initial run will be based off their X2-Extreme Weather Rifle. The rifles will be all stainless with their new stock.

We've been tossing ideas back and forth. It's time to decide! I need to place the order Tuesday or Wednesday. Here's what I need to know:

2. 22" or 24" barrel.
5. Engraved floorplate (numbered, 24hr logo, Whittaker Guns logo -- all small)

The rifles are chambered right. They also have ample room in the mag box for high BC bullets.

Please tell me what you want from the list above. Futures runs will be solely based on your requests. I expect us to do some fun stuff with chamberings, twists, etc on future runs.

I'm not taking deposits yet. Once we've made a decision, I'll start a new thread with the exact specs for the rifle and instructions on how to get your place on line.

I can't post the price until the rifle is specified. Once the questions above are answered, the price will be displayed....but it will be in line with their current rifles.

Thoughts?

.308 with the 22" barrel

Gray stock

Fluted barrel

With engraving.

SAS,are you going to do a run of something say,like a .30 cal and larger?
7mm08
22 inch Barrel
Fluted
Green or Grey stock
No engraving
This is interesting, A stainless Lefty .308 with a 24" tube,the rest of the details are just fluff to me....Fluted/non-fluted, either way......

But, how about a ball park price to really get my attention?

after some thought, I'll do fluting, but no engraving. Color don't matter.

I'd be interested in the following:

• 7-08
  • 22" barrel
  • Green Stock
  • No flutes
  • No engraving

Look forward to hearing what the final specs are.
1. 7-08
2. 24" barrel.
3. Green stock (both with black webbing).
4. Fluted barrel
5. don't care either way
Any chance for a 358 Win? I've been kicking around the idea of getting one from MRC in stainless for a few months but haven't yet.

Could get the boy a 7-08 lefty too...

What is the estimated price?

Edit:

Sorry didn't read your post very well.

7mm-08
green
Don't care about flutes
Don't care about engraving (as long as it's not Ingwe in a leopard thong)

But, I am in if you do a 358 Win group buy.

I'll have to keep an eye on this. 260's are always a good idea! I for some reason like flutes and 22".
7mm08
22 inch Barrel
Fluted
Green or Grey stock
No engraving

Do another run in the future in 270 or 30-06!
7mm08 or 260
22 inch barrel
fluted or not
Grey stock
No engraving
This is just the first group. The chambering and specs will change in the 2nd quarter run. All four runs won't be short actions...

Although I can't quote the exact price yet, I can give a range. They'll be $1099 to $1299 depending what we do to the rifles. I'll have the exact price as soon as the order is ready to submit.
Any chance of a run (including lefties) with a Winchester fwt. Barrel contour option?
I'd be most interested in the following:

1. 260 (8" twist)
2. 22" barrel
4. Fluted barrel
5. Engraved floorplate - No thanks
7-08 8" twist
24" barrel
Grey stock
Fluted
No engraving
Originally Posted by Huntr
Any chance of a run (including lefties) with a Winchester fwt. Barrel contour option?

I don't think they do that contour, but I'll ask. That could be something pretty neat for one of the next runs...
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
7-08 8" twist
24" barrel
Grey stock
Fluted
No engraving

Jordan,

I've already thought about those of you north of the Medicine Line. I'm working on something to make it happen...
How about a 6.5 creedmoor?

1. 260 (8" twist) or 6.5 Creedmoor
2. 22" barrel
3. grey stock (with black webbing).
4. Fluted barrel
5. Engraved floorplate - Yes please
Can't care about aesthetics as long as there is a .260 involved....

Tanner
Originally Posted by ejo

I'm working with another manufacturer on an exclusive in 6.5 Creedmoor.
I am not sure what caliber I would need but can make a case for one. Who makes their new synthetic stock? It may be posted somewhere already and if so I apologize.
Originally Posted by Huntr

That's the big caveat for me... their current barrel configuration is an Anvil Award Nominee.

Not to mention the awkward looking stock design.

7-08 8" twist
24" barrel
Grey stock
Fluted
No engraving

Jordan,

I've already thought about those of you north of the Medicine Line. I'm working on something to make it happen...

That's good to hear! My plan was just to have it imported, but I'm all ears for sure.
260 / 24 inch barrel / fluted / green stock / no engraving.

drover
SAS,you think for a future "Exclusive" they could do one with wood?
I'm going to let guys on here decide what's next. As soon as we get this one behind us, we'll open the discussion for the next...

I think a 338-06 would be sexy. I've no idea why and I've never owned, but it just sounds interesting!
22 in.
Fluted
Green
No engraving
I'm not in for this buy, but 2-thumbs up to SAS for getting these done.
Hey SAS,

Do the MRC rifles take M70 bases?

Jason
Knowing Darrik, there'll be a .260, .308 and .338 in the future.

I vote for a .260 fluted 22" 8 twist....
Sure do Jason.
Thinking something along the lines of .300 H&H (or any cartridge) in a good piece of wood.

Something along the lines of this,but a wood stock.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Just an idea. Don't know what the price would be,but it'll be a nice one to own.
260!!!!!
Prefer 22" barrel, but 24" is ok if it's not fluted, then can cut to 22"
Prefer gray but not a big deal
Fluted ok if 22" barrel
Don't care about engraving
My vote for the next round would be a do-it-all round like 35 Whelen. I suspect there would be a bunch of fellas wanting one...
Originally Posted by ejo

Left hand I hope!! wink

Doc
I'm going to let guys on here decide what's next. As soon as we get this one behind us, we'll open the discussion for the next...

I think a 338-06 would be sexy. I've no idea why and I've never owned, but it just sounds interesting!

Make it a .35 Whelen and I'd really get interested.
22 in.
Fluted
Green
No engraving
22"
gray
fluting/engraving - either way is good

Phil
22"
gray
fluting
1. 260 (8" twist)
2. 22"
3. gray stock
4. no flutes.
5. No engraving
257 Roberts in the future would tempt me.
260, but with a 1-10" twist. If that's fast enough for the 243 it's fast enough for the 260...
.260 or 7-08 22" GREEN,Fluting don't care,NO eng...ScottyO
260 Rem with the 22" barrel

Gray stock, no splattering, please

Fluted barrel

No engraving.

If I wander off when time to pay, rein me in smile

George
22" Fluted
Green
No engraving

Right Hand by the way.

I'm hoping a .243 1:8 is in the future
Even though it's not on the list I'd personally like to see one in 300wsm. It would be a good all purpose short action.

Originally Posted by hwgtyd

1. 260 (8" twist)
2. 22" barrel
4. Fluted barrel

I like what he said!

donsm70
7-08
23" barrel
9.5 twist
fluted or not
engraved not
green or gray with webbing
Very interested
22"
grey stock
fluted
no engraving
22inch
Green Stock
Non-Fluted
No Engraving
Originally Posted by JSH
22inch
Green Stock
Non-Fluted
No Engraving

This, in LH!

1. 260 (8" twist)
2. 24" barrel===> Then those that want shorter can have it cut.
3. Fluted ===> Stop the flutes short so that those that want a shorter barrel can have it cut! OR preferably just do the Featherweight contour.
4. Green stock (with black webbing).
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker

1. 260 (8" twist)
3. Fluted ===> Stop the flutes short so that those that want a shorter barrel can have it cut! OR preferably just do the Featherweight contour.

Perfection!!

drover
260 Rem
22"
Green
Flutes
No Engraving.

If you want to mark them as an exclusive, I'd prefer something small and subtle on the barrel.
1. 260 (8" twist), 7-08 or 308. 260 (8 twist) or 308
2. 22" or 24" barrel. 24"
3. Green or gray stock (both with black webbing). don't matter
4. Fluted barrel or no flutes. don't matter
5. Engraved floorplate (numbered, Whittaker Guns logo? -- all small) small

If they do a 358Win in the future, I'm definitely in.

Next go around .243 Win 8 twist 22" featherweight barrel, green or gray stock don't matter to me. Wouldn't mind a .358 Win or .338 Fed patterned the same way with appropriate twists.
Agree, a featherweight barrel be a better fit on this rifle.
I have a MRC 22" in 260, which is quite handy, nicely balanced, and easy and pleasant to shoot. I'll take extra weight for ease of shooting.
Good luck with the sale SAS. I have 308 and 260 covered, so standing by for the future offerings.
Jeff,
What is the actual weight on your 260? Also, any idea what the muzzle diameter is?
I realize the new ones will have a lighter stock.

SAS
I'd be in for
260 1/8
22 fluted or featherweight contour
green
no engraving

And thanks for putting this together!
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
My vote for the next round would be a do-it-all round like 35 Whelen. I suspect there would be a bunch of fellas wanting one...

+1 but make mine a lefty.
Next go-round:

Must have:

> Left hand
> Stainless
> 6.5x55 @ 1:8"

Prefer:
> Green
> Fluted
> No engraving
> 22" barrel

If you can do this within the price range above, I'm in...
LEFT HAND!!!!!!

260 8 twist or 308
24 in barrel
No flutes - if I want a flyweight I'll use a different action
Either green or grey
No engraving

Thanks for working this out and keeping the south paws in the loop!
7-08 8" twist
24" barrel
Grey stock
Fluted
No engraving

Jordan,

That's good to hear! My plan was just to have it imported, but I'm all ears for sure.

Me too - prefer .260 8"/ 24" fluted either color , No engraving
22", 308 would be great. No engraving.
7-08
22"
Green
Flute for weight savings
Engraving doesn't matter
Guys,

Derrick is putting a lot of work and effort into putting together a rifle that has much of what many ask for re twist, coal, etc.

Agreeing to a small innocuous logo of his company on the floor plate would be a nice way to return the favor.
Well said battue, I agree.
Originally Posted by ejo

Looking forward to reading about that!
308 22" green or gray don't matter, flutes could be nice just cause I don't have anything fluted but even that don't really matter, no engraving. If I have the money when needed I'll be in.

Dave.
http://montanarifleco.com/?page_id=180

to see one
18.5" .338 FED, threaded with front and rear Reknagel or similar quality open sights,
260 or 308 ,fluted @ 24 gray and black .Whittaker engraved on floorplate is fine. Layaway qualified?
Originally Posted by battue
Guys,

Derrick is putting a lot of work and effort into putting together a rifle that has much of what many ask for re twist, coal, etc.

Agreeing to a small innocuous logo of his company on the floor plate would be a nice way to return the favor.
A BIG +1!
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
7mm08
22 inch Barrel
Fluted
Green or Grey stock
No engraving

.260 would be fine too but above is my first choice.

Thanks SaS
No offense, but a lot of you are asking for basically a standard production model. I just think an 'exclusive' should have more than a different stock color, while still having features with broad appeal.
But it also needs to be able to be sold (hence the broad appeal you mentioned), so it can't deviate too radically and still needs to be priced at production rifle prices. Now that a Winchester EW is over $1K, an MRC seems much more competitive.

So make mine a 260 or 7-08, green with flutes. Prefer no engraving, especially if it will cost more, but if you need it for advertising, that makes sense to me.
To be honest I can't say I'd buy one in the first run, just had something else fairly expensive dropped into my lap. That said, my tastes are pretty straightforward.

Left hand
22" barrel
Gray stock
No flutes
A small "WG" logo is fine with me.
260 rem if 8" twist
24" fluted
Gray stock
Engraving- fine if no additional cost
I've already got more deer rifles than I can possibly use ,but if I was to get another,it would be a 22-250 ,with a 1-8 twist ,22" heavier taper barrel.
of the options offered,I would take a 7-08,no engraving,no fluting,only because I have dies,brass and bullets.
7-08
24"
Fluted
Green
Engraved

P
Although, a 22" fluted barrel might make for quite the handy rig... I could live with that as well.
If engraving is necessary, I would prefer it on the barrel as well.

7mm-08 or 308
22 or 24 inch barrel
green with black webbing
fluting that stops short of muzzle
engraving on floor plate is fine or not
I might be interested in one of these in the future after I see some more reports and get a better idea of how the stock looks.

My main question though is what do these offer that can't be ordered directly from MRC?

260 8 twist
24' fluted barrel
green stock
no engraving
8" twist .260, but be sure they are throated short enough to easily reach the lands with the VLD type bullets.

… or .308

Non Fluted 24" in .260, 22" in .308
Gray stock
Floorplate, but no engraving.

John
Well if everyone that chimes in here actually buys one it's a nice size order!

Maybe Legendary Arms Works should take notice

Shortactionsmoker,

Do you have the option to use a thinner barrel profile like MCR uses on their High Country Series rifles?

It would be a nice combination with the short action you are looking to order.
For future runs please consider a 250 Savage. AI would be an enormous favor... Featherweight SS bolt on either side.

W
260 or 7-08
24" fluted but be able to cut down to 22"
green or grey, doesn't matter
engraving, either way

In a lefty
What's the mag box length? Now that I'm thinking of it, I'd take a 308 IF the box was big enough and it was throated right to shine with the 155 Scenar.
Still interested but like someone else said. It should offer something that a production rifle doesn't offer as a limited release. What that might be I don't know at this point. Just thinking out loud.
What's the mag box length? Now that I'm thinking of it, I'd take a 308 IF the box was big enough and it was throated right to shine with the 155 Scenar.

Yes, I think they're short action is more of an intermediate action in length. the 7x57 running 175s will fit.
Originally Posted by sidepass
Still interested but like someone else said. It should offer something that a production rifle doesn't offer as a limited release. What that might be I don't know at this point. Just thinking out loud.

I agree, 260's-308's are production and can be ordered regardless. I would love to see a 358 win or a (I know this was out of SAS's original parameters) V2 in 9.3x62.

Twist.
^ This as well.

Now that would rock.

3.125"

Twist.

The production rifle in 260 has a 9" twist. The exclusive would have an 8" twist. The optional stock color isn't in production. They aren't producing fluted models in this rifle either...
SAS - so is that going to be the exclusive? Or hasn't that been settled yet? Just want to make sure I don't miss it as I'll be of the grid this weekend with limited connectivity. Thanks again for putting this together.
7-08 8" twist
24" barrel
Grey stock
Fluted
No engraving

This but with green stock and red pad !
Order one and get in the boat. Pads can be added and stocks can be painted.

Twist.

The production rifle in 260 has a 9" twist. The exclusive would have an 8" twist. The optional stock color isn't in production. They aren't producing fluted models in this rifle either...

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Sounds good!
How about a 7-08AI, throated for a 150 Skinner or 162 amax?
So is it settled on a .260 8 twist non-fluted?

twofish
What's the app. weight of these?

That'd work for me!
Originally Posted by twofish

twofish

No

wink
Originally Posted by turkish
What's the app. weight of these?

Approx. 6 lbs 10 oz
Just to clarify, and no I didn't read all 5 pages, is this run going to be ONE rifle configuration, or are we picking between the 3 options?

And why isn't 7x57 on the list. wink It fits in that action and Ingwe would approve....

That'd work for me!

IMO, the group buy should be something very awesome that only campfire members would appreciate.
This is an exclusive I'm doing from the shop. I thought I'd bring it to you guys first. We're committing several rifles to MRC and they need to be something they don't produce every day.

I've planned some "real" group buys too. It's only February and the show season isn't even over yet!

Originally Posted by Paradiddle
Just to clarify, and no I didn't read all 5 pages, is this run going to be ONE rifle configuration, or are we picking between the 3 options?

And why isn't 7x57 on the list. wink It fits in that action and Ingwe would approve....

The 7x57 is something they run every day. We have one on the shelf.
From your initial list options:

1. 260
2. 1in 8 twist
3. 22 in barrel
4. Green stock
5. The proper contoured barrel for balance (haven't handled one, so will have to go off of your judgement) - skip the flutes and the cost associated with it.
6. Engraving doesn't matter to me, but to keep cost low...skip it.

KEEP THE RIFLE ONLY WEIGHT AS CLOSE TO 6.5 lbs AS POSSIBLE!!!!!

Originally Posted by twofish

twofish

No

wink

Good, my first vote was for a 7-08 also. grin
This is an exclusive I'm doing from the shop. I thought I'd bring it to you guys first. We're committing several rifles to MRC and they need to be something they don't produce every day.

I've planned some "real" group buys too. It's only February and the show season isn't even over yet!

Originally Posted by Paradiddle

The 7x57 is something they run every day. We have one on the shelf.
cry Now you tell me. laugh
To comply with your initial list options:

1. 7-08
2. 1 in 8 twist
3. 22 in barrel - really no preference, 22 to 24.
4. Green stock
5. Although I prefer flutes, I would skip them to keep costs lower
6. No engraving to also save on costs.

A lot of people have responded with their "unique characteristics" that would be cool; however, I think following some of those suggestions would cause possible participants to flee.
1 - 7-08
2 - 1-8 twist
3 - 22" barrel - in a good "featherweight" type profile
4 - green stock - or webbed - or "wood looking"
5 - no flutes
6 - engraved with 24HR on the bottom to denote it's a campfire special rifle.

This^^
22" no flutes
gray
open sights
Whittaker "Campfire Special"
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy

This^^

This^^ +1
Time frame? Lookin more and more like I'll be able to get in.

Although I didn't mention my in my first post, like others have said, it would be nice to have it properly throated so that it's not hard to reach the lands with several bullets in that long magazine. Especially since factory 308's have so much freebore.

Dave.
Could someone explain why everyone wants an 8 twist in a 7-08? Mine have 9.25 and will shoot 175s. Are you guys all shooting something heavier than 175s?
Left hand 260
24 inch fluted
Engraved on floor plate
Black stock
Originally Posted by Peator
Could someone explain why everyone wants an 8 twist in a 7-08? Mine have 9.25 and will shoot 175s. Are you guys all shooting something heavier than 175s?

Thanks for posting this, I like to shoot 110s to 160s in my 7-08 and the wife's 7-08ai. 9.5 or 9.25 works great for that range. 8 twist would probably make me have to pass on this.
Originally Posted by bludog

Thanks for posting this, I like to shoot 110s to 160s in my 7-08 and the wife's 7-08ai. 9.5 or 9.25 works great for that range. 8 twist would probably make me have to pass on this.

What problem do you think the 8 twist would have with 110's and 160's? Better yet, what problem do you KNOW you'd have with a 1~8 over the 1~9?

Going SLOWER than your 9.5, that I can see but faster has no downside in your case.

Some might claim that faster twist = slower velocity but Brian Litz found that the difference between 1-8 and 1-12 in a 308 is all of about 5 fps. Going 1-8 after being 1-9.5 isn't going to be even that much. It's going to be about 1.33 fps per inch of twist.
Originally Posted by teal

What problem do you think the 8 twist would have with 110's and 160's? Better yet, what problem do you KNOW you'd have with a 1~8 over the 1~9?

Going SLOWER than your 9.5, that I can see but faster has no downside in your case.

Some might claim that faster twist = slower velocity but Brian Litz found that the difference between 1-8 and 1-12 in a 308 is all of about 5 fps. Going 1-8 after being 1-9.5 isn't going to be even that much. It's going to be about 1.33 fps per inch of twist.

Thanks for your reply. I do understand that there is relatively no downside, but I assume there must be an upside since nearly everyone is asking for 1:8. So that's my question and it's still out there unanswered- why 8. And "why not?" isn't the answer I am looking for. Thanks.
The longer monometal & heavy for caliber high BC bullets need a faster twist
teal,

Exactly! Bryan Litz has also found that BC goes up when a bullet is highly stabilized, as does LR accuracy, and he shot and won an FT-R match with a .308 Win 9" twist barrel and 215 Hybrid bullets- a faster-than-common twist for that chambering, which illustrates the point.

Hornady recommends a minimum 8" twist for their 162gr A-Max
Sierra recommends at least 8.5" twist for the 175gr MK and 8" for the 180gr MK
Barnes recommends 9" OR FASTER for the 168gr LRX
Berger's twist calculator shows a 9" twist as being marginal for the 180 VLD at sea level and 32 degF. It shows 8" as stabilizing that bullet in those conditions ideally.
Note that none of the manufacturers use words like "at most", "or slower", or "maximum" regarding their twist rate recommendations.

The MRC mag allows long bullets seated out of the powder column, and if the barrel is throated and twisted accordingly, there's no bullet it won't shoot and nothing it won't do.

An 8" twist will stack the 110gr bullets as well as the 180 VLD. A 9" will stack the 110's, and will marginally stabilize the 180's. Where's the downside to the 8" twist?

We usually have to suffer twist concessions with production rifles. Why not choose correctly from the get-go if a manufacturer is giving us the opportunity to choose?
Great answers, information rich. Thanks, I am sold on 8.
Teal,

Exactly! Bryan Litz has also found that BC goes up when a bullet is highly stabilized, as does accuracy, and he shot and won a match with a .308 Win 9" twist barrel and 215 Hybrid bullets- a faster than common twist for that chambering, which illustrates the point.

Hornady recommends a minimum 8" twist for their 162gr A-Max
Sierra recommends at least 8.5" twist for the 175gr MK and 8" for the 180gr MK
Barnes recommends 9" OR FASTER for the 168gr LRX
Berger's twist calculator shows a 9" twist as being marginal for the 180 VLD at sea level and 32 degF

The MRC mag allows long bullets seated out of the powder column, and if the barrel is throated and twisted accordingly, there's no bullet it won't shoot and nothing it won't do.

An 8" twist will stack the 110gr bullets as well as the 180 VLD. A 9" will stack the 110's, and will marginally stabilize the 180's. Where's the downside to the 8" twist?

We usually have to suffer twist concessions with production rifles. Why not choose correctly from the get-go if a manufacturer is giving us the opportunity to choose?

Pretty much this is what I wanted to say.
Originally Posted by teal

Thanks for your reply. I do understand that there is relatively no downside, but I assume there must be an upside since nearly everyone is asking for 1:8. So that's my question and it's still out there unanswered- why 8. And "why not?" isn't the answer I am looking for. Thanks.

My post was more about why you would have to pass on a 1-8 twisted rifle.
Peator,

Why 8"? Because 8" will highly stabilize any 7mm bullet available. With a 9" twist there are some bullets and environmental conditions where stability would be less than ideal.
And as per our PMs SA how 'bout just a short action stand alone for $400 or less grin ???
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
A lot of people have responded with their "unique characteristics" that would be cool; however, I think following some of those suggestions would cause possible participants to flee.

This^^^
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Jeff,
What is the actual weight on your 260? Also, any idea what the muzzle diameter is?
I realize the new ones will have a lighter stock.

6 pounds, 14 ounces.

0.600" at the muzzle, on a 22" barrel.

Just checking in... where are we on this? Been offline for a few days. Thanks.
I'll make a post by the end of the week. Just finalizing details....
Late to the party here, but
7-08
24"
1-8"
Fluted
No engraving
A run of 24" bbl'd long actions in 6mm rem, 257 bob, and the 7x57 would be super uber.
I'll make a post by the end of the week. Just finalizing details....

You and Tom Manners, keep going around costing me money...
I bet I cost you a bunch more before the end of the year;)
Originally Posted by drover
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker

1. 260 (8" twist)

Perfection!!

drover

Yep, this would be my choice too, not sure if I am in this time around, but if I do, this is the way I would go.
Originally Posted by WinModel70
Left hand 260
24 inch fluted
Engraved on floor plate
Black stock

would send cash real fast for this or same in 308. would want the engraving on it. I think it adds a nice touch and is a good way of recognizing the person/people who put this together.

Uh. Thanks?
Schit! eek cool

Thanks for the warning,better start saving money.
Just saw the post, perhaps late, but my vote:

1. 7-08 , second choice-308.
2. 22" barrel.
3. Green with black webbing.
4. Fluted barrel

I don'y care for the engraving - but not a deal killer

How about just offering barreled actions. The individuals could then roll their on as to stock preference.
You can order a barreled action already from MRC. This is an "MRC Exclusive Group Buy." wink
If there is still time:
24" barrel
8" twist for sure!
Green
Don't care one way or the other about flutes!
Please engrave your logo on it!

Really would rather a 6.5x55.....
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
You can order a barreled action already from MRC. This is an "MRC Exclusive Group Buy." wink

Got that on the "MRC Exclusive Group Buy". There were multiple green, gray,black etc. stock requested. Thought some may want to have the "Group Buy" without the stock.
Oh and I forgot the speckled stock.
Originally Posted by lynntelk

Got that on the "MRC Exclusive Group Buy". There were multiple green, gray,black etc. stock requested. Thought some may want to have the "Group Buy" without the stock.
Ok.
Crap. Don't want to forget the webbed ones also. wink
How about...oh say......a wood stock. cool
Now that's some out of the box thinking.
Frightening isn't it.
If SAS could get a firearms company to put something like this together,well,I would schit muh shorts.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

4x Zeiss.

And do it at a price of $1000-1200.

Paid $1000 for the rifle above.
Future run, be cool to see a stainless steel 223ai with a light contour barrel and 8 twist.
If SAS could get a firearms company to put something like this together,well,I would schit muh shorts.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

4x Zeiss.

Seems that a firearms company already did so, because you've got one sitting on your porch... Pretty irrelevant to the current topic at hand; a wood & blued 270 compared a SS/Synthetic in various chamberings....

Tanner
How about...oh say......a wood stock. cool

You can get this from Boyds.

[Linked Image]
Wood sucks. Stainless 8 twist 223 or 22-250 or 243 would be sweet for a future run.
Originally Posted by Tanner

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

4x Zeiss.

Seems that a firearms company already did so, because you've got one sitting on your porch... Pretty irrelevant to the current topic at hand; a wood & blued 270 compared a SS/Synthetic in various chamberings....

Tanner
Not hardly "irrelevent",how about an Exclusive in .25-06,.257 Rbts,.358 Win,.280 Rem,7x57 Mauser,9.3x62 etc... in a blued/wood rifle.

One with the 24hourcampfire/whittaker guns logo.

Not hardly "irrelevent",how about an Exclusive in .25-06,.257 Rbts,.358 Win,.280 Rem,7x57 Mauser,9.3x62 etc... in a blued/wood rifle.

One with the 24hourcampfire/whittaker guns logo.

Hmmm...now it's turning interesting....
Of zero interest to me when there are good SS/Syn rifles being made every day, but whatever floats your boat. Or course I like rifles that just plain work with minimal maintenance...
I love a rifle with great wood. I just don't hunt with them as much as I do with synthetic stocks or wood stocks with average wood grain. If a wood stock is available for this buy, it would need to be a standard issue walnut stock. I would hunt with it more. Or make the stock an exhibition grade stock and take it on easy (not rocky or mountainous) hunts.
So after all the discussion I want to be sure I understand what's going to happen. Sorry if this was already clearly specified somewhere in the previous umpteen posts.

Based on the preponderance of input here you'll order a group of rifles all chambered the same, with the same barrel length, fluted or not, same color stock, engraved or not, etc., and not some of this and some of that, right?
Exactly right. The run of rifles will have the same specs.

The MRC guys return late Monday night, we'll verify details and pricing, then I'll start another thread Tuesday for those wanting in on the buy.

Keep in mind, this is the first of four. The next batch of rifles in the second quarter will have different specifications.
I always miss out on these things. I ordered a x2 left hand in 260 rem two and a half months ago won't get it until July or sometime around there.
a little late but here is my choice...

1:8
24" barrel non-fluted (can always be shortened) or 22" fluted
green stock but don't care really
small engraving ok

2. 22" or 24" barrel.
5. Engraved floorplate (numbered, Whittaker Guns logo? -- all small)

Thoughts?

When you are ready to start a run of 9.3x62mm, let me know. You can engrave it "24 hour campfire hammer" too if you'd like grin. I'm hoping it would be ALMOST as accurate as my CZ 550 American. However, I realize that will be damn near impossible wink . I like the fluted barrel option. I don't like your stock color option either: Make mine a brown textured stock with red pachmayr decelerator pad. I'd also want in on one of the 5 lefty's. Your list of short actions just don't cut it for me sick . Thanks...

Step it up a notch and start thinking 9.3 grin
I would love to see a 6.5/06
284 Winchester throated for a 162AMax at 3.00", and no block in the box.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
... When you are ready to start a run of 9.3x62mm, let me know. ... I'd also want in on one of the 5 lefty's. ...

My strong preference if/when they do a LA LH std bolt face group buy would be 6.5x55. However, if all they offer in LH are 9.3x62's (similar to XVR-SS), I will be sorely tempted to jump in. Given that MRC does not offer any 9.3 bores in their normal list of chamberings, it would add to the "uniqueness" of the group buy.
9.3x62. BSA is right.
Originally Posted by 4winds
9.3x62. BSA is right.

This or 375 H&H would be awesome. An upgraded walnut stock, red recoil pad, deep blued metal. Left hand of course.
Originally Posted by 4winds
9.3x62. BSA is right.

Now this would get me in trouble. Waiting on todays post from shortactionsmoker. Have my madmoney coin jar out on the floor.
I'd be down for a 7-08 or 6.5x55 with a 22" fluted barrel stock color doesn't matter I'll paint my in earth, but I would like a custom LOP (shortened). Engraved with a small fire logo and would be fine. (thanks for putting this together)
Has there been a new post on this? Just want to make sure I dont miss it
Nope. Tomorrow. We couldn't hook up on the phone today.

How about a stainless 375 H&H with a decent contour?
Patiently waiting to hear your offering. Thanks for putting this together.

I'm interested for sure. Really anxious to here the final specs.
Nope. Tomorrow. We couldn't hook up on the phone today.

OK, is this proof of the old saying that tomorrow never comes?

In this timeline tomorrow was yesterday and the day after is now today I think, so if we now wait until tomorrow what day are we looking at??! wink

Anyway, we are waiting as patiently as true rifle loonies can.

Waiting anxiously with others.
Guys,

There has been a hang up in the process. I spoke with MRC again Tuesday as promised. Here's the deal....

The mold isn't finished yet for the short action stocks. When I spoke with them at SHOT, they told me they didn't have it together yet and it should be done any time. Everyone involved expected it to be delivered before now. The guys at MRC are jumping up and down for the mold! As you can imagine, it's costing them money every day the stock is delayed.

When Larry and I spoke Tuesday, he asked if I'd entertain a long action on the first run -- then a short action on the second.

Honestly, I'm in mental limbo right now. If there is any interest in an immediate long action offering, feel free to chime in.

We're still on board (both me and MRC) to offer exclusive runs. I'm trying to decide if we wait until the mold arrives or proceed with a long action offering.

Thoughts?

Proceed with the LA.

When the short action stock mold arrives then announce it.

how bout 9 twist 257 weatherby with no wby freebore
If MRC thinks they will have the stock in the next week or so, I would wait.

If not, a long action now would be nice. If you can find a way to trim the rifle down a little and offer a fun caliber, I would be interested and think it will sell well.

Maybe a faster twist 6.5-284 or 6.5-06 in a lighter rifle

If the weight will be in the 7s than maybe a 35 whalen or 338-06
Wait.
I second the idea of lightening the rifle just a bit. I would be interested in a 6.5-06 as well if one were built, or a .280AI
shortactionsmoker,

Thanks for the update.

While I'd probably be unable to resist a 280 Rem, I think we should wait for the short action.

I understand waiting for the mold to get here to get started, but can the pricing and specifications of the rifle get worked out while we wait?
What would the wait be once ordered?
22 in.
Fluted
Green
No engraving

LEFT HAND

LONG ACTION (Left Hand) ...What are the caliber options?
How about an 8 twist 264 Win Mag with a 26" tube?
What would the wait be once ordered?

We'd planned to do one offering per quarter, so I would expect them to be delivered by March 31st.
Originally Posted by Oakster
I understand waiting for the mold to get here to get started, but can the pricing and specifications of the rifle get worked out while we wait?

I'll answer the pricing question.....if we went with a special paint color on the stock, fluted barrel, no engraving, special twist....$1259.99.
Good things come to those who wait...
I'd be all over a 6.5-06, and might like a 6.5x284 both 8T.

A 280AI would work too. 9 or maybe 8T

Hmmmmm . . . . 28 Nosler . . ?????
SAS,how about a .340 Wby or .375 Wby LA? Now THAT would be interesting,instead of these "little" cartridges.

The mold isn't finished yet for the short action stocks. When I spoke with them at SHOT, they told me they didn't have it together yet and it should be done any time. Everyone involved expected it to be delivered before now. The guys at MRC are jumping up and down for the mold! As you can imagine, it's costing them money every day the stock is delayed.

That's a good thing as far as I'm concerned. Tell them since the mold isn't done, to raise the comb a bit. The B&C XWR stock had it right as far as comb height…

John
Wait
Honestly, I'm in mental limbo right now. If there is any interest in an immediate long action offering, feel free to chime in.

Originally Posted by Orion2000
Must have:
> Left hand
> Stainless
> 6.5x55 @ 1:8"

If you can do this in LH LA for the $1260 mentioned above (plus shipping, plus KY sales tax), I'm good to go...
SAS, what did you have in mind for us Canucks?
Jordan,
You guys have been sending us a long winter's worth of bitter cold, you'll get a 270, and like it. laugh laugh
and it will wear a 1:14 barrel!
If we're talking a month before they'd be done anyway, why not start making the rest of the rifle now? Are they that uncertain about the stock? It's the last step in assembly...
Do the long action now, get busy.....

I want a short action, and I'm more than happy to let you Longies be the Test pilots,

Get going.
Hah! Maybe if it's free! grin
Well now I have to decide on the MRC or Forbes...dang near same price.
I still want an 8 twist .243! Just giving a free bump while waiting for an update.
That's the one I'm waiting on,punched AI would be even better
If we are talking LA first, how about something a little exotic that takes advantage of the CRF platform for an exclusive :

33 Nosler
338-06?
28 Nosler?
26 Nosler?
35 Whelen?
9.3x62?
338-06?
28 Nosler?
26 Nosler?
35 Whelen?

28 Nosler would get my attention smile

A 35 Whelen or 9.3x62 would too.
If I were gonna do a long action group buy, it would have to be a .270 or maybe a 6.5-06.

John
Originally Posted by VaHunter
9.3x62?

Now we are cooking with propane.. laugh
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
If I were gonna do a long action group buy, it would have to be a .270 or maybe a 6.5-06.

John

I am a buyer in 6.5-06
I'll wait for a 260.
Long Action:

Left hand
9.3x62
If it has to go to long action now, then the 9.3x62 would be a unique niche first offering.
9.3x62, 6.5x55, and 35 whelen would be my top long actions. They ever gonna offer a .223 or 17 rem I'd take a few of those right now.
So! Whats the final final on the first order? And our follow up procedure if interested?
Originally Posted by Wrangler13
9.3x62, 6.5x55, and 35 whelen would be my top long actions. They ever gonna offer a .223 or 17 rem I'd take a few of those right now.

.17Rem and I will take two one lefty and one right! .223 8twist I will take one in Lefty.
9.3x62 with a 22" tube would get my attention real quick(.264 Winnie with a 26" would be stellar though!!!!)....
I'm not getting in on the group buy, but am following along. Reading some of the posts, I don't understand why some want basically an off the shelf rifle. If I'm reading it right, there doesn't appear to be much of a price break, so if it's going to be "exclusive", seems like you'd want it in an uncatalogued caliber and/or configuration? Good luck, hope it gets hashed out.
The "buy" is nothing off the shelf they offer. The twist is different, barrel fluting would be something different, an alternate stock color would be a different option...

The whole goal is to produce something we want that you can't pick up across the counter. No huge changes, just special options and minor improvements (in the eyes of some).

The availability of the SA stock threw a wrench in plans. I'll call them tomorrow with some other ideas.
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

John

I am a buyer in 6.5-06

I'm not in on this deal; no dog in the fight. But if you want a hot-shot 6.5 then the 6.5/280AI looks to me like the real deal. Max output out of the '06 based case and nobody will have one like it FOR SURE! Comparatively, the basic 6.5/06 is so.......off the shelf.
Originally Posted by shootem
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

John

I am a buyer in 6.5-06

I'm not in on this deal; no dog in the fight. But if you want a hot-shot 6.5 then the 6.5/280AI looks to me like the real deal. Max output out of the '06 based case and nobody will have one like it FOR SURE! Comparatively, the basic 6.5/06 is so.......off the shelf.

It hasn't been stated here, but I am guessing that a SAAMI round is a requirement. I doubt MRC would want to do a wildcat.

In fact, maybe a round that they already chamber (or plan to) is a requirement.

SAS . . . please clarify.
MRC does,but the rifle then becomes a "custom" and it's more expensive.
No true wildcats for this....

They do have a custom shop for specific builds though.
Sorry sas, I wasn't intending to criticize your efforts, it's a big commitment and undertaking on your part. I was trying to point out that some folks posted "wants" were basically standard X2s (i.e. .308, no flutes, no engraving) The SA fast twist .260, flutes, engraving & different paint and would be more "exclusive", or a LA in the uncatalogued 9.3x62 with Leopard print stock would qualify too. wink
No problem or offense taken! Just explaining the differences...
SAS, I think what you are doing here is very commendable!!! Keep up the good work buddy...
Depending on the chambering, consider the 3.65" mag box wink

280AI . . . 8/8.5ROT . . . 24" Flutes or not . . . Green/Dark Brown . . . Engraved or not
I've got some 280AI ammo that I need to burn up, but no rifle. I'd second Whelen's request!! with flutes, of course.
28 Nosler
I'll announce the rifle today. We're staying with the short action. The last email was just sent...

I'll start another thread in short order once I get confirmation, barring a total breakdown!

Let us know the final specs when you get it done. One last vote for green stock color.
This cracks me up.

"We are going to make a large financial commitment based on your answer to the following question" - "it will be a size medium and your color choices are red or blue, which of these two colors do you prefer?"

Poster 1: Red
Poster 2: Blue
Poster 3: Orange
Poster 4: Green but with fringes
Poster 5: I like peanut butter
Poster 6: Blue as long as it is size large or small
Poster 7: Any color as long as it has stripes of a different color
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
This cracks me up.

"We are going to make a large financial commitment based on your answer to the following question" - "it will be a size medium and your color choices are red or blue, which of these two colors do you prefer?"

Poster 1: Red
Poster 2: Blue
Poster 3: Orange
Poster 4: Green but with fringes
Poster 5: I like peanut butter
Poster 6: Blue as long as it is size large or small
Poster 7: Any color as long as it has stripes of a different color

Yep, the replies were pretty funny.
Well....he already sold out of the first run, with people standing in line, so I guess it worked out a-ok for him.

Nothing like motivation and capitalism to get the economy rolling!
Fact DakotaDeer. A sign of good things to come.
© 24hourcampfire