Home
I'm thinking about getting a reasonably light weight 308 or 7mm 08 for a lightish weight walking around hunting rifle. The gun should be capable of guilt edged accuracy. Both savage and tikka have a good reputation however I must give slight style points to savage for being made in the states.
Have you looked at RAR?
Tikka. That's just me though. Haven't found one that didn't shoot. I like the triggers on them and personally like the stocks
Another vote for Tikka.
Style points to the salvage?

Guilt edged accuracy?
Originally Posted by 79inpa
I'm thinking about getting a reasonably light weight 308 or 7mm 08 for a lightish weight walking around hunting rifle. The gun should be capable of guilt edged accuracy. Both savage and tikka have a good reputation however I must give slight style points to savage for being made in the states.

Guilt edge accuracy?!
Savage DOES have a reputation, but what it really is gets glossed over as the story gets re-told. For $300, the Savage CAN be a steal, or is just a $300 rifle. Everyone forgets the part about $300 and CAN. They also think now that they want $800 for them, that quality and overall QC has improved; IT HAS NOT!!!

Savage still makes some amazing shooters, from un-amazing parts. But that had ALWAYS been the case.
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Guilt edged accuracy?

I believe it 'gilt edged'

There should be no guilt attached to accuracy.
Take the Tikka and run.
Rem M7
Depends on what you are willing to spend. I buy used rifles mainly.

If you have $5-600, Tikka would be far and away my first choice.

If your budget is more in the $3-400 range, I'd be looking at the Ruger American.
I think this is the first time that I've ever seen "style points" and "Savage" used together in the same sentence.

Of the two rifles you mentioned, Tikka by a big margin. Beyond that, I like bacon.
In my family we have both. I have a mdl 11 Savage in LH 308 and it is a tac driver. The problem I have with it is the stock sucks. Had to put an after market comb on it. I just use it for pigs I might run across Turkey hunting. Daughter Sandi has a Tikka compact in 7mm-08 and it is also a tac driver. It doesn't care what you put in it as it shoots anything well. She also has a Tikka 7mm Mag and a Tikka Hunter 308. All are shooters. I would give the Tikka my first choice as it is smoother but also $150 more expensive than the Savage. Another option would be to look at the Ruger if you decide to go with something else besides Savage and Tikka. One more thing, the Tikka trigger in my opinion is far superior to the Savage accu-trigger
Tikka X-2...ScottyO.
If you're in the market and still looking... I have a Nused Tikka t3 SL in .308 I'm thinking of sending down the road for another project...shoots as you would expect.
Depends which savage skip the entry levels and go to a model 16fcss with the accustock and you've got something. An all steel bolt, bottom metal and magazine which is more than can be said about the Tikka and it'll probably shoot at least as good.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Guilt edged accuracy?

I believe it 'gilt edged'

There should be no guilt attached to accuracy.

Might be a little guilt were it to be bad accuracy? Ya, I know.....GFY!!!
I have a Remington 700, a Browning X-Bolt, a Ruger M77 and a CZ in bolt action rifles. My Tikka T3 7mm-08 is the most accurate of the bunch and has the smoothest action as well. I hear Savages are great shooters as well.
To my feeble, old, mind, "walking around rifle" and "gilt-edged accuracy" are kind of contradictory terms. A rifle that's going to be carried a lot and shot a little doesn't have to be a tack-driver, unless you're out in the wide open spaces. I would want something that's a pleasure to carry and to look at when I sit down for a break. The Savage and Tikka, in spite of all their virtues, have no soul, and are merely practical, effective shooting tools. If that's all you want, I'd say take the Savage for the short action, and lack of plastic. I'd also look at a Howa, my favorite push-feed.
© 24hourcampfire