Home
I noticed that the .338 Federal has been chambered in 6 Savage models for this year. I've always liked this little .338 cartridge and my dad has used one off and on for several years. His, with 210 Partitions, is quick death to most everything and anything inside of 350 yards. I wonder with the new offerings from Savage, if the round will make a come back?
I just hope they make more brass soon!

I doubt it. I e seen about 5 of them for sale since they came out and a grad total of zero boxes of ammo for sale.
There's some blue box ammo here but I've stocked enough brass to carry me through my remaining years.

A great cartridge in my little Kimber Montana.
I had one and I miss it . Never should have sold that rifle!
I've often seen .338 Federal ammo on shelves in Montana and Alaska, but not in all gun shops, of course. My dad has always been a hand loader, so ammo wasn't ever a big issue for us.

I don't know anybody who has actually owned one and used it on big game that wasn't impressed with this modest .338. I'd like to buy one for myself instead of borrowing dad's all the time. smile
No, it's just wishful thinking on ATK's part. ATK bought Savage last year and they own Federal Cartridge
Yep, I know about the ATK connection. I was just wondering if, with more reasonably priced rifles available in .338 Federal that maybe it would gather more of a following. It originally came out in Sako, right? And then later, in Tikka and Kimber. Was it ever chambered in anything else more "common man-ish"? I don't recall. My father's is a re-barreled Weatherby Vanguard (originally a .308 Win).

I think I recall Mule Deer once writing an article on the .338 Federal that was fairly positive but I can't recall which firearms it was chambered in at the time.
HC, I feel the same about the 358 Winchester.
However, I must know 20 folks who hunt every season and of those, nobody owns a 338 Federal.
It is kind of like the 325 WSM, it works but never was a favorite for the average guy.
I saw somewhere that most American hunters never venture above 30 caliber.....what a shame, in my opinion.
Originally Posted by huntin_chic
Yep, I know about the ATK connection. I was just wondering if, with more reasonably priced rifles available in .338 Federal that maybe it would gather more of a following. It originally came out in Sako, right? And then later, in Tikka and Kimber. Was it ever chambered in anything else more "common man-ish"? I don't recall. My father's is a re-barreled Weatherby Vanguard (originally a .308 Win).

I think I recall Mule Deer once writing an article on the .338 Federal that was fairly positive but I can't recall which firearms it was chambered in at the time.

Ruger chambered them for a while.
I bought my dad one in the AW Ruger Hawkeye. It shoots great and hammers whitetails.
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

Use 308 Brass.
Perception is 90% of this business, just like every other. In most peoples minds, rounds like the .338 Federal:

Kick too much
Don't shoot flat enough
Are too big for deer

True or not, that's how ordinary folks view cartridges in this category. Added to the lack of available rifles and ammo, it's a deal killer. Winchester lost several shirts trying to sell medium-bore, moderate powered rounds.

Just be thankful the .338 Fed is based on the .308 instead of some non-standard case so it's easy to feed.
Ive owned a 358 BLR for near 30 years after I saw how effective it was in my hunting partners hands loaded with a 250 grain speer bullet over 44 grains of imr 4064, and in all that time (35 plus years) theres been other guys in our elk hunting club that have purchased similar 358 win BLRs and I'b be amazed if more than 3% of the cartridges fired through any of those rifles did not have a 308 win head stamp. as a result I don,t see ammo as a serious concern in a 338 fed which is very similar

http://milpas.cc/rifles/ZFiles/Misc/358%20Winchester/The%20358%20Winchester.html
It is going the way of the .358 Win, but I don't think it will have the same cult following because of the various rifles that were chambered for the .358

I even have a mannlicher schoenauer carbine in .358 When I had my BLR .358, it would shoot an inch. It was very handy for hogs and deer.
You're right about the ammo situation, of course, for most of us on here, but to the average guy, who already views handloading as something akin to brewing your own beer or raising bees, the notion of producing ammo for one cartrtidge using brass from another sounds like building your own airplane.

Every few years, someone writes an article on the virtues of the .358, and it causes a brief flurry of activity on Gunbroker and maybe two guys have rifles built or re-barreled. But then the fire dies down until next time.

I'd like to see Savage bring back the 99, chambered in .338 Federal, along with some others, but it will likely never happen.

His article was with a Kimber. At the time Sako, Tikka, Kimber and Ruger had rifles. I do think it was a mistake to not have much in the way of Remington, Savage or other lower priced rifles available. Then again, I don't know how much sway Federal had in that regards. Being that it's Federal's cartridge, I suspect ammo will always be produced. Availability is another issue. I asked them about some availability and they said the 200 Trophy Bonded Tip ammo was supposed to be produced last December. I have not asked or looked to see if it's available. Lapua 308 Win brass works great so I'm not worried about having ammo.
JES rebores/rechambers the 338 Federal. Shortly after the 338 Fed came out, I talked to Mr. O about having a Savage 99 in 300 rebored/rechambered to 338 Fed, but he told me that (at that time) he had done a couple of 338 Feds on the Savage 99 and the owners were seeing high pressure signs with factory ammo. Apprised of the risk involved, I opted not to have the work done and I think that Mr. O's warning, knowing that he was likely turning away work, speaks well of him.
The 338 Federal makes a nice little rifle when built on a Remington Model 7. The Bass Pro shop had a bunch of ammo in stock when this last shortage started. I think I had the only rifle within 100 miles that fired the 338 Fed. The ammo shelves would be nearly empty and there would be all this 338 Federal stacked up there. I'd pick up a box or two every time I went. I found out that I was a hoarder about that time…
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

Use 308 Brass.

I do and can. The primary reason I want correct head stamped brass isn't necessarily for me. I have a few young kids coming up and they're all into hunting/shooting. They're all pretty young and I try to teach them everything I can. It's just a safety thing I'm concerned about for the next few years. They'll learn the loading game in time too...
It's just a halfway point, layover, for going from 308 to 358. Nobody really wants to live there. wink
Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

Maybe I'm more of an oddball than I thought, but I always felt the .338 Federal was a smart little round that does a whole lot from a small package.

I don't get the recoil gripe that some maybe have. It's like a 22 - 23 pound kicker. That's a far cry from .338 Win Mag territory. But, I can see where most people don't need anything bigger than a mild 30 cal, or thereabouts.
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
It's just a halfway point, layover, for going from 308 to 358. Nobody really wants to live there. wink

Ha! Well said!

Maybe I'm more of an oddball than I thought, but I always felt the .338 Federal was a smart little round that does a whole lot from a small package.

I don't get the recoil gripe that some maybe have. It's like a 22 - 23 pound kicker. That's a far cry from .338 Win Mag territory. But, I can see where most people don't need anything bigger than a mild 30 cal, or thereabouts.

The problem with 338 Fed is that the 30-06 shoots all the same bullet weights faster with about the same recoil, flatter trajectory and much more energy downrange. A 308 will shoot 200 gr bullets within 50 fps of a 338 with 200's and shoot 180's faster than the 338 will shoot 200's. At the muzzle the 338 shows a slight edge, but the 308 is faster, flatter shooting and with more energy with equal bullet weights past about 100-150 yards. The .003" greater bullet diameter is of no advantage on game and actually hurts the ballistics.

The 338 works, but I don't see it offering any advantage over 308, and it's a step down from 30-06. It is just a cool round for guys who want to be different from the crowd.
I personally really like the 338 federal. I have one in a Tikka that is very handy. Plenty of power from a small light gun. I load and shoot 210 nosler partitions in mine but looking at factory ammo ballistics I disagree a little with some info that has been posted. A 308 shooting 180's in factory form will be somewhere near 2570-2600 fps and a 338 federal with a 180 grain accubond is 2830 fps and the 185 grain tsx is 2750 fps. That is a pretty significant performance improvement as far as I am concerned. I don't see any factory load info for a 200 grain .308 but the 338 fed will do 2630-2700 fps depending on the load. That means it will shoot a 20 grain heavier bullet approximately 100 fps faster than the .308 with 180s. It is certainly no magnum and does have a bit of recoil but for whitetails, pigs and bears out to 400 yards it is a great round.
It is a good round, no doubt. The question is, does it have what it takes to make it in the marketplace. The answer would appear to be no. That doesn't stop folks that like it from enjoying it; just takes a little more effort.

History indicates that for a new cartidge to succeed, it has to offer capabilities not available in existing rounds. I don't think the .338 Fed does that.
Originally Posted by JMR40

The problem with 338 Fed is that the 30-06 shoots all the same bullet weights faster with about the same recoil, flatter trajectory and much more energy downrange. A 308 will shoot 200 gr bullets within 50 fps of a 338 with 200's and shoot 180's faster than the 338 will shoot 200's. At the muzzle the 338 shows a slight edge, but the 308 is faster, flatter shooting and with more energy with equal bullet weights past about 100-150 yards. The .003" greater bullet diameter is of no advantage on game and actually hurts the ballistics.

The 338 works, but I don't see it offering any advantage over 308, and it's a step down from 30-06. It is just a cool round for guys who want to be different from the crowd.

I agree. I have a 30-06 and several 308Win rifles. I also have a 338 Win mag. Just do not see the need. But it is a cool round, like the 358Win.
I bought a Tikka in 338F from smithrjd and I like it very much. The complaints about the stock and original rings are both unfounded in my opinion. I've owned two 358s and a 338-06 but sold all three. I love this little gun, not too light and not too heavy. Good for a walk about rifle but heavy enough to hold steady for off hand shooting. It is very capable, when loaded right, of killing anything in n. America w/the 210gr Partition. For Texas hogs and deer I will load the 200gr Speer, Fusion and ballitic tips. I also have some 180gr ballistic tips but feel like the Federal shines w/the 200gr bullets out to 400yd. Please don't roll your eyes guys as I've already run the ballistics. I am going to send the original stock to Darren for one of his camo sponge jobs and have the barreled action cerakoted. I have put a VX3 3.5-10X40 w/post and duplex on top and am very pleased w/the set up. The recoil is a little less than the 358 w/200's to me. I bought this one to keep and really don't care if others like it or not. You couldn't give me a 223AI or a 260 but many of the guys here like them...and I respect their right to be a loony. I'm just a loony that has fallen in love w/the 338Federal. powdr
There's a Kimber Montana w/ a Leupold in Talley's on GB right now if any of you have the bug! I'm hoping that by posting about here it will drive up the price to the point that I quit checking in on it.

Repeat 3x I don't need this gun...
If anyone can ever see the difference between a 30-06 and a 338 Fed within ranges of 400ish or less, they are better than me. I would venture it is safe to say there is 0% difference in the outcome. Which says very good things about the 338 in my opinion.

The Savage offerings are interesting. I'd like to have a Model 11 lightweight hunter with the 23" stainless fluted barrel from the 16 Bear Hunter.
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
I had one and I miss it . Never should have sold that rifle!

I'm 180 out. Wish I never bought it and was glad to get rid of it.

Gun was expensive, ammo was expensive (when you could find it), and accuracy was nothing to brag about especially for a Sako. Honestly it didn't do anything that a bunch of other calibers could do as well or better.

IMO the cartridge was a solution to a problem that never existed.
Yep....I still say the .338 Fed was nothing but another 'almost'. Almost a .308. Almost a .358. Almost a 30-06....if with training wheels. If it had never been un-wildcatted, it could still be cool. 😄
No, the 338Fed is not on the comeback trail.
I agree it isn't coming back. I think the same parent company owns federal and savage. Makes sense they chamber rifles for it and try to create interest.
I'm a fan of the 338 Federal. It's pretty sexy and it works. I've only killed a couple deer with it so far, but I've enjoyed shooting it a bunch.

I hope prm fills this thread up with pictures. I can only add a couple...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
That's a great buck! I know the 338 Fed kills things just as dead as any other cartridge.
I like my 338 Fed. It doesn't do one thing that a half dozen other rifles in the safe can't do just as well, but its a keeper. It might not be on a comeback tour like some of y'all have suggested, but I never thought it was gone. I have all I need to keep shooting it for as long as I need or want to shoot it, so I really don't care if Federal keeps making it or not.

It seems like several rifles I like don't seem to be making it right now. I can't find ammo for a couple of 284 Winchesters and the latest that seems to have been dropped is the 35 Remington.

[Linked Image]
seems it would be a good close range hog caliber.
It's kind of a has-been that never-was, which is really sad. A 338 Federal should have been a real winner. A lot of cartridges do what others do as good or a bit better than maybe not quite as good but they get the job done when asked to deliver. Sometimes that "cool factor" really warms up the hot stove and as such it's well worth the price of admission. I think a person should buy whatever they want as long it's their money. I love all the new stuff but I usually wait a while so the bugs get worked out; you know, a few years anyways, like 40 or 50, better yet 80-100. :-)
Nice buck SAS.
I see where Savage is now chambering rifles in 338 Federal. That's a first for them as far as I am aware of.

I have a Tikka T3 and a Ruger 77HE in 338 Federal and like them both very much.
Yeah, I think Savage offers several platforms that will make a good 338Federal rifle. They're already known for their accuracy so chambering for the 338F should just be more of a good thing. powdr
Originally Posted by Old_Doe_Shooter
It's kind of a has-been that never-was

That about sums it up perfectly!
I noticed that the .338 Federal has been chambered in 6 Savage models for this year.... I wonder with the new offerings from Savage, if the round will make a come back?

Unlike some here, I really hope that it does come back stronger now. I had one in a Sako when it first came out and I never should have sold that rifle! It is the rifle I most regret selling.

It is an excellent, short-action cartridge that makes a whole lot of practical sense. Truly a useful round for people who want a .338 bore in a shorter package, without all the recoil of the Win Mag. As I recall, mine would chronograph right at 2,670 fps with 210 grain Nosler Partitions and that bullet would penetrate extremely well at that velocity - yet as all Partitions do, would mushroom beautifully.

As I recall, Dave Petzal called it something like, "A brief moment of sanity" in rifle cartridge development.

True, the .338 Federal doesn't really do much more (anything?) that a 30-06 with 200 grain Partitions at around 2,600 fps can't do... besides fit in a short action and maybe be a bit lighter in equal rifles. But it is nice to have something that not every Tom, Dick and Harry has in the gun cabinet. smile
I've never understood why being 'different' with rifle cartridges was such a big deal.

He I got a rifle in XYZ and no one else in my club has one chambered for that. Who gives a [bleep]?
The Barnes TTSX 160gr bullet is listed at almost 3100fps in the Barnes reload data with AA2230 powder. So I am loading some and starting with 51gr of the AA2230 to see where it falls from my DPMS LR338 Federal. Hoping to get around 3000fps from the 18" barrel. Soon as the weather improves I will test some.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I've never understood why being 'different' with rifle cartridges was such a big deal.... Who gives a [bleep]?

I don't know who said it was a "big deal" but being able to have individual choices, likes and dislikes is one of greatest freedoms we Americans have. It isn't about bragging rights, or whatever it is that you seem to trying to express - at least not for me. I hunt primarily alone and don't belong to "clubs". That said, I truly appreciate things that are unique or a bit different. Isn't that a big part of what being a gun loony is all about?
Originally Posted by camera_dude
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I've never understood why being 'different' with rifle cartridges was such a big deal.... Who gives a [bleep]?

I don't know who said it was a "big deal" but being able to have individual choices, likes and dislikes is one of greatest freedoms we Americans have. It isn't about bragging rights, or whatever it is that you seem to trying to express - at least not for me. I hunt primarily alone and don't belong to "clubs". That said, I truly appreciate things that are unique or a bit different. Isn't that a big part of what being a gun loony is all about?

Amen brother!
I've often seen .338 Federal ammo on shelves in Montana and Alaska, but not in all gun shops, of course. My dad has always been a hand loader, so ammo wasn't ever a big issue for us.

I don't know anybody who has actually owned one and used it on big game that wasn't impressed with this modest .338. I'd like to buy one for myself instead of borrowing dad's all the time. smile

You need one to call your own. cool
Originally Posted by battue
[quote=huntin_chic]You need one to call your own. cool

Yes, I think you're right! smile
Battue set your eyes on one of the new 6 variations Savage is going to make this year. That or find you a Tikka T3 and rock on. powdr
A MRC .338Fed is now setting in the safe. grin
A MRC .338Fed is now setting in the safe. grin

Pics? What loads you planning on trying?
First loads from the bench. They were a couple years old from when I had a Kimber Montana in .338Fed.

After getting on paper, shots 5-9:

[Linked Image]

Shots: 6-10 at 200.

[Linked Image]

Both groups put 4 of 5 in around .75

Plan on starting with this load again and some 200gr Accubonds.

[Linked Image]

It has potential. Also have a lot of RL-15 so will give that a go also.

. Also have a lot of RL-15 so will give that a go also.

That's gonna work.
As long as the 308 Win exists, the 338 Fed is dead as far as any market demand is concerned. Still a good round but dead in the water.
Originally Posted by GeoW
As long as the 308 Win exists, the 338 Fed is dead as far as any market demand is concerned. Still a good round but dead in the water.

The same could be said for any new cartridge. There is at least one traditional cartridge covering every spot on the spectrum. And those traditional cartridges have stood the test of time for a reason and doing anything new is not really possible. Essentially every other new-ish cartridge is just a slightly different way to skin a cat. However, because the .308 isn't going anywhere I never have to worry about buying components for my 338 Fed. That, and the fact that it is Federal's first cartridge tells me it's not going away even if it's not a large part of the market.
[Linked Image]

This is the first time I zeroed my DPMS LR338 Federal the Final 3 shots in the center and I was happy with AE 180gr bullets. Less than $20 a box.

Only with the ill-informed and ballistically-ignorant. smile

I love the .308 Winchester, as I would assume most people who appreciate the .338 Federal do, but they are slightly different beasts. I look at the .308 Win as being an excellent all-around cartridge and the 338 Federal as being able to do all this too, but more of a specialized round that is at its best on things like elk, moose and bear. An old friend of mine used his .338 Federal not only on mule deer, elk, black bear, moose and bison in the lower 48, but on an Alaskan Brown Bear and a huge Asian Water Buffalo (est. 1,500+ pounds) in Australia. He used hand loaded 210 Nosler Partitions.

The .338 Federal is at its very best with the 200-210 grain fodder - a niche where the .308 is just a little too meek. Nothing wrong with using the TSX/TTSX/GMX style bullets of slightly lighter weight (180-185) in the .338 Federal, as well. At that point, I do agree that you get more into the ballpark of the .308/30-06.

The .338 Federal is a non-magnum offering that boasts magnum energy. Along with energy figures, let's look at some TKO (Taylor Knock-Out) numbers.

- 7mm Rem Mag........175-grain, TKO 20.3, 3180 ft-lbs, 2860 fps
- 338 Win Mag........200-grain, TKO 28.5, 3866 ft-lbs, 2950 fps
- 30-06 Spg..........180-grain, TKO 21.4, 2915 ft-lbs, 2700 fps
- 30-06 Spg..........200-grain, TKO 23.1, 3060 ft-lbs, 2625 fps
- 308 Win............180-grain, TKO 21.7, 2743 ft-lbs, 2620 fps
- 308 Win............200-grain, TKO 21.7, 2690 ft-lbs, 2461 fps
- 338 Federal........180-grain, TKO 24.6, 3200 ft-lbs, 2830 fps
- 338 Federal.......210-grain, TKO 26.7, 3224 ft-lbs, 2630 fps

(TKO and energy at muzzle)

As seen above, the only cartridge in this factory load sample that surpasses the 338 Federal is the extremely powerful 338 Win Mag.
camera_dude, I understand what you are saying -but- the average Joe gunbuyer doesn't understand it nor does he care.

Average Joe type hunters/shooters will decide on the fate of the 338 Fed.

I still have my unfired Sako Grey Wolf in 338 Fed that I may send down the road when I find something I'd rather own.
Yep, I know GeoW.

I know a guy who may be interested in your Sako, if you decide to sell it. That said, it could be a bit outside of his price range. He is strongly considering the new offering from Savage (weather warrior). I imagine that will sell for a real-world price of around $700, maybe less if one of the big sellers has them on sale. Your Sako must be worth about twice that.
To my eyes at least, those Sakos are pretty guns.
[Linked Image]
Looks identical to mine. I went ahead and bought the OptiLock ring mounts and I think a Zeiss 2-7, put it away and forgot about it.
That Sako is nice how many rounds does it hold as the savages I have looked at on line hold 2 +1.
Originally Posted by 264wm
That Sako is nice how many rounds does it hold as the savages I have looked at on line hold 2 +1.

I believe the info on the Savage website to be a mistake; something all too common with today's gun websites. The .338 Federal should have the same capacity as all the other .308 family cartridges.
The Sako 85 338 Fed holds 5 in the mag if I'm not mistaken.

Is the .308 dead because the .30-06 exists?

Hope not because I own three -06s, one .308 and plan to buy another .308.
Was the 338 Fed ever a main battle rifle cartridge? Those do hang around for a while.
Was the 338 Fed ever a main battle rifle cartridge? Those do hang around for a while.

Of course not. Although I don't own one, I consider the .338 Fed to be a fine cartridge, particularly for people who don't reload but want a want a hefty bullet at moderate velocities with moderate recoil. Federal lists 200g Trophy Bonded and 210g Partition bullets at bullets at 2630fps. According to Federal, both retain over 2000fps and 1500fpe at 400 yards.

Most game is taken well under 400 yards. Since I started hunting big game in 1982, I've only taken 2 shots of 400 yards or more and certainly wouldn't feel undergunned if carrying a .338 Fed. The older I get, though, the more I appreciate cartridges with moderate recoil. Hodgdon lists a 180g AccuBond load at 2746fps. While this is more of a 350 yard load based on 2000fps/1500fpe, it will do virtually everything I need done with less recoil than a .30-06.

Using the same (admittedly arbitrary) 2000fps/1500fpe limits, let's compare my 22" barreled .338WM loads to Hodgdon's .338 Fed loads for a 24" barrel.

.300WM, 225g AB, 2742fps
2000fps = 505 yards
1500fpe = 710 yards
33.8 ft/lbs recoil

.338Fed, 225g AB, 2515fps
2000fps = 360 yards
1500fpe= 565 yards
23.9 ft/lbs recoil

Given that most of my game has been taken under 325 yards and that the .338Fed/225g AB at 2515 fps MV retains over 2000fps and 2000fpe at that range, that load would have done just fine. I, for one, hope the .338 Fed survives.
I would'nt mind having a remington 7600 carbine in 338 federal.
If anyone comes across a Montana for sale in the .338 Federal, shoot me a PM.
Are the Savage Weather Warriors in .338 Federal available yet? Just wondering because I have not seen one yet. Would like to handle one.

I've always thought Savage a bit fugly looking but I know they shoot great and the newest models seem to have been given a small splash of make up or a face lift, or something! laugh

P.S. I wonder why Savage finds it necessary to put their logo/name on the bolt? It kinda spoils the look, if you ask me. crazy
Maybe Ruger could come up with a 44mag style carbine in 338 Federal which would be a fine brush gun or then again a Browning BAR in 338 Federal.

But then The DPMS has the semi auto covered. This is my 338 Federal with LaRue quick release mounts and a 4to 30 power Bushnell 6500 Elite scope with mil dot.

[Linked Image]
Found this............

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2015/01/2...els-short-action-hard-hitting-cartridge/

© 24hourcampfire