Home
OK - Iowa isn't rifle country, so forgive the stupid question.

I see lots of rifle pics with tape over the end of the barrel and sometimes more tape around the barrel lower - assume to keep crap out of the barrel and replacement? Do you remove the tape before shooting? I'd think so - I've seen what happens when shotgun barrels are plugged when fired.

It's for keeping junk out of the barrel.

No, shoot right through it.

Red tape makes the rifle's velocity faster
Blue tape makes the rifle more accurate
Green tape makes the rifle lucky
Black tape gives you ninja skillz
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

Thanks for making me laugh! The whole post is spot on though.
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

Troof!
rainbow tape goes on a 270
Originally Posted by Double_D
rainbow tape goes on a 270

boxer stick has all the rainbow tape hoarded up
barrel cots. And they are fun to hand out at parties to the wife's and girlfriend's.
Tough crowd here.
The bullet pushes air ahead of it, so the tape is gone by the time the bullet reaches the muzzle. Saves you from the risk of a stick, dirt, or rain or whatever, getting in the barrel while you are hunting.

If you also run a few wraps of tape around the barrel to hold it in place you have enough to cover the muzzle again after you shoot.

As well, if you use the same tape around the barrel to attach a length of dental floss or thread or similar material, with its end hanging free, you have a handy little indicator of the direction the breeze is taking as you walk along.
I always tell people that I'm shooting really hot loads and the tape helps keep the barrel from splitting at the muzzle.
Electrical tape reduces static electricity so you don't shock yourself flicking off the safety.
You can go full Lifesaver....

[Linked Image]
I always put a piece of electrical tape on the end of my barrel when hunting. It keeps water and debris out of the barrel and won't affect accuracy at all. I keep a roll of electrical tape in my pack. Also good for making an emergency bandage when you cut you finger with your sharp hunting knife. Don't ask!
OP

You got the right answer now it's up to you to figure out which one it was......

ODS
Come on guys. Quit messing with the OP. You know that the tape helps to dampen harmonics of the barrel. More tape equals less vibration.

Yellow or white tape dampens less because it's thinner. Black tape is the medium and red is really for heavy duty dampening since it's thickest. whistle
I should have known it was a harmonic balancer to offset the boss system on those 270 rifles!

Thanks for your answers and humor.
© 24hourcampfire