Home
I am looking at getting another light rifle, wondering what you all would get. I do not have the $ to get another custom. I can go about $1500 for rifle, and will put a 6 power Leupold on it. I want it stainless, synthetic in 7-08 or 308. So what say you.
Tikka or Forbes.

donsm70
Kimber Montana
Kimber.
Kimber or Tikka, otherwise find a proper M70 and drop it in a mcm that fits you.
tikka
Model 7 in 7mm08. If you can find a used FS stocked model, the camo one, not the crappy black plastic one, they are great. There was new in the box FS in 708 a while backo Gunbroker, but pricey.
I'd fondle a Kimber Montana and Sako Finnlight, then take home the one that felt right. I really want to like Forbes rifles, but there are enough bad stories out there to keep me away. It's unfortunate, because a Forbes would seem to be exactly what you're looking for. Maybe it's worth a roll of the dice for you? A Forbes could be an excellent compliment to your NULA.

Tikka......why not......?

Just don't use the POS factory rings......
Originally Posted by Esox357
Kimber Montana

That too!

donsm70
I like my Tikkers, but am playing with a Montana in 308 that is impressing.
Define light weight.

The Tikka will come in at 7 lbs scoped. A Kimber will be $400-$500 more, but be about 17-18 oz lighter. The extra money buys a far better stock, and CRF as well as more than a pound weight loss. I like the Tikka very well, but the extra money for the Kimber is worth the difference to me. If I were on a more limited budget and considered 7 lbs light enough, I'd have no problem recommending the Tikka.

You could also pick up a Remngton 700, stock it in an Edge and be right at 7 lbs and within your budget. A Winchester 70 will be about 2-3 oz heavier.
Originally Posted by JMR40
Define light weight.

The Tikka will come in at 7 lbs scoped. A Kimber will be $400-$500 more, but be about 17-18 oz lighter. The extra money buys a far better stock, and CRF as well as more than a pound weight loss. I like the Tikka very well, but the extra money for the Kimber is worth the difference to me. If I were on a more limited budget and considered 7 lbs light enough, I'd have no problem recommending the Tikka.

You could also pick up a Remngton 700, stock it in an Edge and be right at 7 lbs and within your budget. A Winchester 70 will be about 2-3 oz heavier.

Spot on advice. My Montana is a full pound lighter than either of my Tikkas. I have an Edge-stocked 700 LA with a VX2 that weighs 7lbs, 5 oz. I expect the 700 SA project I am working now will come in close to the same weight with a McSwirly.
We'll as much as I love my NULA, an the Forbes sounds good, I haven't seen very good reviews on them. I like the Tikka, and have shot the T3 lite. The Montana I have not shot or even seen or handled one in person. But I believe the Montana might be the ticket.
Just got through mounting a scope on a Kimber Montana 7/08 45 minutes ago. Good grief that thing is light!

I've had them before but you kind of lose touch with how light they are if you aren't around them all the time. It feels like a toy.
Nosler Patriot is pretty impressive.
I only have one data point with Kimbers, but I am 1 for 1 with my 84M. A better hunting rifle than I ever imagined.
I spent two hours at Short Action Smoker's shop yesterday. Handled a Kimber Ascent for the first time. A twin to this rifle chambered in .308:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=473552130

I don't get out much. But WOW ! Hands down the lightest center fire rifle I have ever handled. Can't recall the exact price. But sure you could reach out to SAS via PM if interested.
The thing i didn't really like about the Kimber is the stock ergos. Maybe I would get used to it if I owned one, but it didn't feel right when shouldered. Didn't like the grip angle etc. That being said, i think they are a superior stock to what comes on most factory guns.
My Tikka T3 Superlight 270 Winchester is 6 pounds 11 and a half ounces,unloaded ,Factory Rings ,Leupold VX1 3-9x40.

Loaded with 3 rounds 6 pounds 13 and a half ounces

Loaded with 5 round Magazine,7 pounds one half ounce.

.75 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yards with Federal Fusion 130 grain
6.3#
.243 Win., .308 Win., .270 Win., 7x64, .30-06 Spr.
20" tube
Weatherby MK V ULW 6 lug 5 3/4 lbs
I really like the feel of a Montana in 308 or 7mm-08. And I will own one before I get too old to enjoy shooting and hunting. Since I have a great shooting 7mm-08, mine will probably be a 308. As is obvious, my recommendation is the Kimber. There is just nothing like it.
Well I have been talking myself into a Montana for a long time but I ain't no one to marry a bride without given her a few passes so what do you do. I have never seen felt or foundeled one in person. But that would be either a 1k well spent or not so good. What's a guy to do?
Buy a Montana.

Love my little 243 MT.

I've never handled an 84L but plan on ordering one here in the next month or so.
Like you I'm going with a 6x Leupold, honestly can't think of a better hunting rifle setup.
I personally would go with a Ruger GSR with the composite stock, it has an adjustable length of pull, backup iron sights, forward or regular scope mounting positions, muzzle break, threaded barrel for accessories, etc. Then I'd use the rest of the money to buy a nice scope, a timney trigger, some 3 round mags and starting hunting that thing asap.
I'd avoid the Montana like a rat dipped in aids.
That is unless you knve the dirty dope on a gunsmith who you can get to work cheap or you are retired and have multiple hours to spend trimming screws, bedding, crowning...blah blah blah...
Originally Posted by ringworm
That is unless you knve the dirty dope on a gunsmith who you can get to work cheap or you are retired and have multiple hours to spend trimming screws, bedding, crowning...blah blah blah...

Laffin' grin Everyone likes a challenge now and then.

I took a new 7/08 to the range yesterday.Only had factory 140 Fusions(no one had any brass so have to make some). Mounted a scope and started wanging away.

Things started well;scope tracked to rough zero and the rifle followed. Three groups showed the rifle strung horizontally off firm sand bags so I folded a gun sock for a softer front rest. That dropped POI about an inch and two shots were in about 1/2".....then it started stringing vertical. Heat? I let it cool. Didn't matter.

I pulled it apart. Have to say I was a bit impressed...it really looked lovely down there. Bedding "looked" sharp, machine work on the metal looked very nice;trigger is great and function perfect so far and very crisp with snappy feeding,firing pin indentation was spot on. Can't recall a nicer synthetic stock on a factory rig.Barrel perfectly floated.

But bedding seemed "loose" as the rifle just fell out of the stock;without screws I could detect no rocking and the action seemed to sit flat with no tension.I began to wonder if the front screw was bottoming out before the action was tight in the stock...it was behaving like something like that was going on.

You could see where the mag box had scraped paint in the bottom of the stock.

I tried to get to 300 yards but it was occupied so will get back after it tomorrow.I'm going to start the tweaks. 20 rounds isn't even a warm up,and too soon to quit on it.It's easy to shoot, comfy,and handles like a light grouse gun. I think the things are so light and rigid that any little inconsistency shows up.But other Montanas have shot lights out for me so I know the thing will shoot after some work.

I ain't skeered..... smile

There were a bunch of Forbes rifles on sale where I bought this Kimber....they seem to not be moving off the shelves as the same ones have been there for months.
Originally Posted by TomNula300WM
I am looking at getting another light rifle, wondering what you all would get. I do not have the $ to get another custom. I can go about $1500 for rifle, and will put a 6 power Leupold on it. I want it stainless, synthetic in 7-08 or 308. So what say you.

The Kimber MT 308 with a Leupold 6x36 and dots is the no-brainer-of-the-year-award-winner.

I have both Kimber MTs and Tikkas. I enjoy carrying the KMTs but when it comes to shooting my Tikka Super Lites win.

LMFAO!!

I've got to use that one.
I'm surprised - no one has mentioned or suggested the Howa Alpine mountain rifle.

http://www.legacysports.com/alpine-mountain-rifle

5.7 pounds, Banser high tech fiberglass stock, weather resistant cerakote finish, and the ability to add detachable box magazine.

I held one at Sportsman's in Albuquerque and it felt like a feather.

I own several Forbes and also like that option...but the Howa is on my list as soon as I find one in 6.5 Creedmoor. Also the price was less than $1100 on the Howa. Pretty good value equation for a gun that you won't have to tinker much with. Every Howa I've owned and shot has been crazy accurate and one of the best factory triggers I've squeezed.

Nothing wrong with Tikka Superlight T3, Forbes or the Montana...but Howa Alpine is really looking good.

Tikka would need a stock upgrade IMHO, Montana's can be good, great or require some work. Forbes seem to have a divided following- my 2 are really good shooters (no issues...am I just lucky?)

For the money I'd say Howa, and pass the savings onto your scope purchase.
Hi, Tom.
Consider a Win M70 FW in 257 Roberts or 7-08/308.

These rifles are reasonable in price, and the ones I have are absolutely spectacularly accurate.

They are a bit heavier than some, but I carried the M70 in preference to a fine Kimber because of superb accuracy. Inspect your choice carefully before taking it, regardless of brand. The QA for everybody is pretty slim.

Good luck and happy shopping!!!

Dang. Are you overly meticulous or just meticulously slow?

It's obvious that you are overly biased, probably more from what you've read online than from what you've actually experienced in real life.
Somebody mentioned it earlier, but "light weight" needs to be defined. Is that 7lbs scoped, 6.5 scoped, 6 scoped, etc...

The Montana and Forbes are the obvious true off the shelf lightweights if that is what you want. There are a lot of differences between the two so weigh out what matters/doesn't matter to you on that. The big ones that stick out to me are:

Montana: controlled round feed, more open grip, no cheekpiece, slightly lighter barrel, slightly heavier stock, bedded to a slave action, barrel free floated

Forbes: push feed, more closed grip, cheekpiece, slightly heavier barrel, slightly lighter stock, bedded to the specific action, full length bedded, 3" mag box

I like them both. Needs to be realized from the start that any of them can have problems, they are off the shelf rifles not customs. I've no problem tweaking little things. Got lots of great options...pick what matters most to you.

Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
The thing i didn't really like about the Kimber is the stock ergos. Maybe I would get used to it if I owned one, but it didn't feel right when shouldered.

Ditto on the stock ergos. I fondled a Montana one time and that's what struck me. Must be the giraffe neck syndrome. I need lots of drop to the heel of the stock and a MC comb for proper fit. Mickey Hunter patterns work for me.
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
The thing i didn't really like about the Kimber is the stock ergos. Maybe I would get used to it if I owned one, but it didn't feel right when shouldered.

Ditto on the stock ergos. I fondled a Montana one time and that's what struck me. Must be the giraffe neck syndrome. I need lots of drop to the heel of the stock and a MC comb for proper fit. Mickey Hunter patterns work for me.

The New Mcmillan Hunter aka Sako Hunter with the monte carlo cheek piece or the Hunter's EDGE aka Mcmillan Compact?

The answer the OP's question, get the Kimber Montana in any caliber you like. There is nothing else out there like it and you won't be disappointed. Search this site for Shortactionsmokers Montana Tinkering Thread. A few quick fixes if necessary will be well worth the effort. I have a Montana in 223 and it is a great little rifle.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by BurninDupont
The New Mcmillan Hunter aka Sako Hunter with the monte carlo cheek piece or the Hunter's EDGE aka Mcmillan Compact

Actually, neither. I've got the Win New Hunter pattern, which is based on the Sako Hunter pattern. Couldn't tell you the differences. Maybe it's the castoff and cant that make it work. I'll be picking up the new Whelen build after work today. smile

Visualizations:

[Linked Image]
Sako Carbonlight
Originally Posted by sqweeler
Sako Carbonlight

$1,500 only buys the stock.
Originally Posted by BayouRover

Dang. Are you overly meticulous or just meticulously slow?

It's obvious that you are overly biased, probably more from what you've read online than from what you've actually experienced in real life.

I tried twice.
Light yes. But, unable to compete out of the box with rifles I already owned that costs hundreds less.
I'd rather spend the money on a classic Steyr like the one I just bought than a iffy kimber that may need bedding, trigger work, recrown, screw trimming, bolt face work, chicken blood rum, sage...
Just ordered one like this i. 7mm-08 with 3-9 leupold. It'll go perfect with my 308 half stock classic.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'd try and wrap your dickbeaters around a Alpine Lite.

Otherwise I'd get a Kimber MT.

I'd go 7-08. The .308 hurts my vagina after 20 rounds.

Travis
Originally Posted by deflave

I'd try and wrap your dickbeaters around a Alpine Lite.

Otherwise I'd get a Kimber MT.

Travis

I thought it was all about girth? That's what I keep telling people anyway.
Ringworm,

What do those things weigh? And why do they cut the cheekpiece with a chainsaw?

Travis
I was checking out the Howa on-line. I'm not that impressed with making weight by going with a 20" #1 barrel, they need to start at the start and trim weight from the action and stock.

Travis

Apply the Vagisil BEFORE you go the range! grin
Ringworm,

Travis

They weigh 3.2 kilograms.
Only american trash comes in pounds.
The cheek piece is made that way to make you wet.
[Linked Image]

Does it come with the hat?
Ringworm,

Travis

I Looked it up for you
7 pounds .8 ounces
http://www.steyrarms.com/products/hunting-rifles/classic/

Nice looking rifle but by the time scope mounts,scope and cartridges are added not really that lightweight anymore.
Not stainless as the OP wants.
Originally Posted by mathman
[Linked Image]

Do kimbers come with tampon cases?
Not bad. grin
7x64 [img:center][Linked Image][/img]
Originally Posted by 17_wizzer
I'm surprised - no one has mentioned or suggested the Howa Alpine mountain rifle.

http://www.legacysports.com/alpine-mountain-rifle

5.7 pounds, Banser high tech fiberglass stock, weather resistant cerakote finish, and the ability to add detachable box magazine.

I held one at Sportsman's in Albuquerque and it felt like a feather.

I own several Forbes and also like that option...but the Howa is on my list as soon as I find one in 6.5 Creedmoor. Also the price was less than $1100 on the Howa. Pretty good value equation for a gun that you won't have to tinker much with. Every Howa I've owned and shot has been crazy accurate and one of the best factory triggers I've squeezed.

Nothing wrong with Tikka Superlight T3, Forbes or the Montana...but Howa Alpine is really looking good.

Tikka would need a stock upgrade IMHO, Montana's can be good, great or require some work. Forbes seem to have a divided following- my 2 are really good shooters (no issues...am I just lucky?)

For the money I'd say Howa, and pass the savings onto your scope purchase.

Why would the Tikka T3 superlight need a stock upgrade IYHO?
Stock upgrade for tactile reasons, and a personal dislike of manufacturer plastic-like stocks. Not just picking on Tikka- feel the same about Remington, Ruger, Savage.

With a $1500 budget, you can buy a tikka T3 superlight and drop it into something that looks cool, and feels better. Of course to keep it lightweight- mcmillian edge would be nice. Sell the other stock for not much...but it will help offset part of the cost.

https://www.mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-rifle-stocks/ultralight-stocks-hunters-edge/

A slightly more affordable option might also be...

https://tikkaperformance.com/tikka-parts/tikka-t3/tikka-t3-stocks/tikka-tactical-stock

Oh. Well, it didn't work because those are two of the ugliest fugging rifles I've ever seen.

Interesting nomination for a lightweight, synthetic stocked, stainless rifle though.

Travis
Stock upgrade for tactile reasons, and a personal dislike of manufacturer plastic-like stocks. Not just picking on Tikka- feel the same about Remington, Ruger, Savage.

With a $1500 budget, you can buy a tikka T3 superlight and drop it into something that looks cool, and feels better. Of course to keep it lightweight- mcmillian edge would be nice. Sell the other stock for not much...but it will help offset part of the cost.

https://www.mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-rifle-stocks/ultralight-stocks-hunters-edge/

A slightly more affordable option might also be...

https://tikkaperformance.com/tikka-parts/tikka-t3/tikka-t3-stocks/tikka-tactical-stock

Tactical Reasons ?
Personal dislikes ,everyone has personal likes and dislikes for sure,
Me I like the Factory stock just fine.
It is light and Stiffer than Most of the other Factory Plastic stocks.
Rifle is accurate with factory stock,rifle is lightweight with Factory stock.
Thats good enough for me.
AND stock is BLACK,shouldn,t that be TACTICOOL enough for you TACTICOOL Guys ? LOL

Now what is REALLY cool is the fact that mine will put 3 shots at a hundred in .75 inch with federal Fusions ,130 Grain factory loads .
Now whats REALLY REALLY COOL is the fact that I have less than $1000.00 in the Rifle,Rings,2 boxes of ammo,extra 5 round Magazine AND a Leupold VX1 3-9x40 scope!

Not tactical, not tacti-cool....tactile

tac·tile
ˈtaktl,ˈtakˌtīl/Submit
adjective
of or connected with the sense of touch.
perceptible by touch or apparently so; tangible.
"she had a distinct, almost tactile memory"

designed to be perceived by touch.
"tactile exhibitions help blind people enjoy the magic of sculpture"
Not tactical, not tacti-cool....tactile

tac·tile
ˈtaktl,ˈtakˌtīl/Submit
adjective
of or connected with the sense of touch.
perceptible by touch or apparently so; tangible.
"she had a distinct, almost tactile memory"

designed to be perceived by touch.
"tactile exhibitions help blind people enjoy the magic of sculpture"

My bad here I thought that you misspelled Tactical
And was just rying to be nice and not call you on the Misspelling !! LOL

BUT the Factory stock on my rifle is in Fact Tactile.
I can percieve it by touch,and I am sure the stock remembers me touching it !
I will say though that I never think of a sculpture when Looking at it or shooting it!
Dagburnit I guess I will just have to be happy with the accuracy and relatively lightweight !
Originally Posted by smokepole
I was checking out the Howa on-line. I'm not that impressed with making weight by going with a 20" #1 barrel, they need to start at the start and trim weight from the action and stock.

They shave weight off the action. It just doesn't do much.

Travis
[Linked Image]

6.6 pounds, scoped and slung with bipod.
Also a spare mag in the stock and iron sights.

Oh. Well, it didn't work because those are two of the ugliest fugging rifles I've ever seen.

Travis

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I thought the Mannlicher Scout was 6.6 pounds WITHOUT scope rings or scope ?
http://www.steyrarms.com/products/hunting-rifles/scout/
Also dont see the sling listed in the weight .
Dont see any iron sights either.

Add at least 2 ounces for sling(simple 1 inch webbing tied to rifle,say 12 ounces for scope,2.5 ounces for rings and rifle is now at over 7.5 pounds.
And the so called stainless version (stainless barrel really as I believe the reciever is made of a type of aluminum, will weigh a tiny bit more (2 ounces guessing)

About $1400.00 (looked at Buds Gun shop pricing only )

Not what I would be interested in but to each his own !

[Linked Image]

Seriously?
The Patriot in 7-08 shoots pretty good

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

shoots good at 200 too.....

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]
Another vote for Kimber Montana, my sample of 2 both shoot very well with no work whatsoever.

Hard to get more rifle for same money.

Originally Posted by TheBlueMountainApe
[Linked Image]

Seriously?

Seriously funny!

That might be the gayest rifle I have ever seen.

Maybe if I was hunting on the moon.
Oh...I forgot its an asthetics contest.
That might be the gayest rifle I have ever seen.

Maybe if I was hunting on the moon.

I could see Luke Skywalker packing one...
Oh...I forgot its an asthetics contest.

With your previous comments and then the cutesy hater sign, I figured you thought that it was an azzhole contest and you were going all out to win first prize.

Someone said it earlier. They (everything mentioned here) are all factory rifles and some are good and some aren't, no matter who makes them. Someone who has had a problem with one or two makes of rifles generally likes to try to convince the internet that he knows something that other people don't. That's rule number one in an azzhole contest if you're a serious competitor.
The Steyr Scout also includes Jeff Cooper's guide to sucking your own COCK.

UBER worth the coin!

Travis
Tikka superlight or Nosler. No other choice for me.

I agree. Best way to bang your head on the wall with frustration! LOL

Expensive POS's! For that price they should be accurate of the box period!

The Steyr Scout also includes Jeff Cooper's guide to sucking your own COCK.

UBER worth the coin!

Travis
Hahaha! I actually like scout rifles and short barreled carbines, (although I don't think Jeff Cooper walked on water), and that made me fockin' crack up!

[Linked Image]

I'm more interested in the make/model of scarf. It's pure hipster.
NO matter what you choose, isn't a great time to be a gun buyer?

Remember when this conversation would have been remington, winchester and browning?

Now we're talking about lots of choices.

Also love this forum, because of the comments on subjects. Still chuckling from this thread.
JG,

What did that Nosler set you back if you don't mind me asking?

Travis
Originally Posted by pointer
[Linked Image]

Yep, you always did have that certain "flair."
the regular tikka t3 is lite enough for most anyone and doesn't need upgrading at all . even the factory rings are fine. i'd upgrade the soft screws that come with the factory rings. black hardened screws look a 100% better then the zinc coated ones.if you change rings and go with a base and rings you are just adding weight.
Originally Posted by Fotis

[Linked Image]
As a disclaimer, I did take it out of the box.

YMMV
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by pointer
[Linked Image]

Yep, you always did have that certain "flair."
I pull off looks few others can...

Backroads:

I took 4 of them out (2 mine and 2 other's) and I could not break 1.5" 2".

NEVER seen a Tikka NOT shoot. Look on here and see how many had trouble with the Kimbers and how many fixes are recommended.

I own both (Tikkas and Kimbers). The Tikkas shoot, and so do the Kimbers with minor work. When all is said and done, I prefer the Kimbers.
I don't think it's a coincidence that when you get into rifles as light as the MT that larger samplings of them "don't shoot."

Travis
Originally Posted by srwshooter
the regular tikka t3 is lite enough for most anyone and doesn't need upgrading at all . even the factory rings are fine. i'd upgrade the soft screws that come with the factory rings. black hardened screws look a 100% better then the zinc coated ones.if you change rings and go with a base and rings you are just adding weight.

Tikka T3 lite felt pretty good to me when I picked one up at the Sportsmans Warehouse store UNTIL I picked up the Superlite and I bought the Superlite.
Just a little more for it (did some negotiating with cash in hand)
the Superlight is about 6 ounces lighter than the Lite.
Works great for me as it is light but not so light that I have any problem steadying the rifle.
I haven,t done a thing to it except to reduce the trigger pull to 1.5 pounds.
I dont find the recoil bad at all with the stock pad and using the factory rings(factory screws as well) with no problems as of yet. I torqued the ring tops to 20 inch pounds and the bases to 25 inch pounds .
Torqued the front and rear stock screws to 35 inch pounds.
Used a dab of Blue loctite on the stock screws but not the scope rings as aluminum is self binding.
I also Lightly greased the aluminum lug and recess on the bottom of the barrel and the entire bottom of the action to prevent possible Galvanic reaction between the steel and aluminum parts. And also to prevent rust .
So far have only tried Federal Fusion 130 grain ammo in it.
.75 3 shot groups with it. Going to try the Hornady Whitetail Interloks 130 grain and see what it does with them.
So far very pleased with the rifle.
JG,

Travis

Bought it off gun broker for $1300.
I don't think it's a coincidence that when you get into rifles as light as the MT that larger samplings of them "don't shoot."

Travis

Bingo... (But it's easier on the ego to blame the equipment.) grin
Originally Posted by JGRaider
JG,

Travis

There you go! A no brainer!
JG,

Travis

That seems to be about as cheap as I can find them but I have never found one in an actual store.

Thanks.

Travis
JG,

Travis

There you go! A no brainer!

NICE rifle no doubt
BUT
6 pounds 12 ounces Bare + at least another 15 ounces for scope and rings + 2 and a half ounces or so for 3 cartridges and we now Have a total of at least 7 pounds 13 ounces.

Not a heavyweight by any means but My Tikka Superlight only goes 6 pounds 13 and a half ounces WITH scope and 3 rounds of ammo.

I doubt that it will shoot any better than A Tikka T3 from my limited experience with mine and other Tikka owners input
and can almost guarantee the trigger is no better.

Kimber Montana is about 5 pounds 2 ounces bare.
Add about 17 ounces for scope rings and ammo for about
6 pounds 3 ounces loaded.

Although the Nosler is indeed a very fine looking rifle and not really that heavy it doesn,t come close to the weight of either the Tikka Superlight or Kimber Montana .

I have T3's too bc. I have no use for super lightweight rifles personally.
jc I do understand that,and personally I wouldn,t want any lighter than the T3 Superlight But A lot of guys want a superlight rifle .

I was mainly addressing the OP who posted he is interested in a Stainless light Rifle.
I agree with the guy from Arkansas but didn't mention it because the OP didn't really define lightweight.

But a Tikka and a Nosler ain't a Kimber Montana. They're not comparable.

Travis
Agree the 84M in 7mm-08 or 308(which is what the OP wants is much lighter than the Tikka Superlight ,by about 10 or 11 ounces.

Tikka Superlight more compares with the Montana 84L(only 2 ounces or so difference )with both being a 270 Winchester.

Lightest possible looks like the Kimber 84M or Adirondack or Ascent.

Whew they are really proud of the Ascent and the Adirondack !
to me going to light in weight would like shooting a magnum.lighter gun the more felt recoil. i prefer the tikka t3 because it a full size gun and lightweight.
A couple of the new Steyr's that were announced last May look like good lightweight options. The trouble is locating one for purchase. The lightweight versions of the "CL II" and "SM12" SX's weigh 6.3 lbs. and have a fluted barrel and aluminum bedding system. The walnut models are 6.4lbs. Could be interesting options if you ever can find one for sale.

Here is the model I'm describing...

[Linked Image]

ringworm, where did you find yours?

[Linked Image]
6.3#, .243 Win., .308 Win., .270 Win., 7x64, .30-06 Spr.,20" tube
But not stainless AND lightweight Per the OP original Post.
Although the OP didn,t really specify a weight He seemed to like the weights of the Kimber Montana.
I see that they offer a Stainless version but I couldn,t find the weights for it.
The blue is about 6 pounds 5 ounces,adding at least 17 ounces for scope ,rings and 3 rounds of ammo comes up with at least 7 pounds 6 ounces and I bet the stainless adds at least 2 to 3 ounces for a weight of 7 pounds 8 ounces.

Still not as light as even the Tikka Superlight much less the EXTREMELY light Kimber Montana .

Out of the box with no adjustments:

[Linked Image]

This was the first time out. I used to be a hater, too but it now appears that Kimber has been listening since the first Montana I had.

With load development and skim bedding, the rifle routinely shoots 1/2 moa. Of the 2 Tikkas I own, both shoot as well, one shoots slightly better. However, the Montucky feels better at the end of a 5 mile hike.

Originally Posted by Powder_Burn
A couple of the new Steyr's that were announced last May look like good lightweight options. The trouble is locating one for purchase. The lightweight versions of the "CL II" and "SM12" SX's weigh 6.3 lbs. and have a fluted barrel and aluminum bedding system. The walnut models are 6.4lbs. Could be interesting options if you ever can find one for sale.

Here is the model I'm describing...

[Linked Image]

They must cater to the giraffe/humanoid/Nazi-sympathizer market.

Clark
My choice a few years ago was the Kimber Montana. It shot as good as I wanted right out of the box…once I learned that you have to hold on to it when you shoot it. It has always shot into an inch, with some a little under and some a little over. Most of that variation is probably my lack of ability and not the rifle.

I changed a few things to make the rifle suit me a little more. I cut the barrel back to 20 in and built up the forearm and grip areas with epoxy putty to give the stock a little more round feeling. The stainless steel would almost glow like a neon light at dusk so the whole rifle got a paint job.

The rifle came out weight wise about where it started out. Ready to go, but not loaded, it weighs 6.25 lbs on the scales I used. They might be a little off, but I like the numbers I get with them and I'm sticking with it.

If I was in the market for a light weight rifle, I'd go with the Kimber Montana all over again and it would end up looking a lot like the one below.

[Linked Image]
got a Cooper 54 260 several years back and been extremely happy with it: weight, balance, trigger, accuracy. same goes for close friend who also got one in 7mm08
© 24hourcampfire