Home
Posted By: blairvt old school Mauser - 05/01/15
I came into a little money and I've always wanted a old Mauser hunting rifle. Where would I find a classy old Mauser custom?
Posted By: bcraig Re: old school Mauser - 05/01/15
Might find something on Gunbroker
Or hit the Pawn shops,thats where I found mine !
Mauser 98 8mmJS double set triggers folding rear sights
and Weaver 2.5x scope,sold the scope and put a Leupold 4x long tube on it.
It will do about .75 inch for 3 shots with Partizan 196 grain softs and an inch with my reloads of 47 Grains H-4895 and 150 grain Sierras !
Posted By: 4winds Re: old school Mauser - 05/01/15
Pm inbound
Posted By: ingwe Re: old school Mauser - 05/01/15
Put an ad in the classifieds here: WTB Classy Mauser! grin
Posted By: bcraig Re: old school Mauser - 05/01/15
Originally Posted by ingwe
Put an ad in the classifieds here: WTB Classy Mauser! grin

Another good idea !
Posted By: Peator Re: old school Mauser - 05/01/15
Check out BRNO model 21s and 22s, some of the coolest old mausers going.
Posted By: Peator Re: old school Mauser - 05/01/15
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: old school Mauser - 05/01/15
I have a nice Belgian Mauser 30-06 (JC Higgins)that could be had for the right price.

Posted By: blairvt Re: old school Mauser - 05/02/15
I've got 2 jc Higgins. I'm looking for a custom military conversion. The Brno's are a possibility, as well as a old mannlicher.
Posted By: Peator Re: old school Mauser - 05/02/15
Also the original Obendorf Mauser sporters are awful cool. There's a couple on gunbroker that have been there for a while, not cheap though.

Sometimes you see well crafted european conversions sell reasonably with double set triggers and even nice engraving.
Posted By: pabucktail Re: old school Mauser - 05/02/15
If I were you I'd be looking for a nice guild gun, pre or inter war.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: old school Mauser - 05/02/15
Look for a "guild" or "cigarette" rifle be aware of the chambering. Also scope mounts, claw mounts especially. If the scope mounts are not there or are for a special size/type scope it could be a REAL problem. Be patient they are out there and can be found for a decent price. Most will be military conversions, with the charger clip cut outs. Others could be "FN" style, these will be later models.
Posted By: sactoller Re: old school Mauser - 05/03/15
How about a Thomas Bland in .318 Westley Richards, with letter, case...oh yes, it is a take down model.

Posted By: blairvt Re: old school Mauser - 05/04/15
What's a Thomas bland? Sounds a little over my budget but can we see pictures,
Posted By: Old_Doe_Shooter Re: old school Mauser - 05/04/15
http://www.schwandtclassicarms.com/

Here's a bird dog for ya.... Mike's got or can get it. Ya'll come bring money.
Posted By: blairvt Re: old school Mauser - 05/04/15
I didn't come in to that kind of money. A Mannlicher or BRNO 21 is about my limit
Posted By: rockchucker Re: old school Mauser - 05/04/15
if i was right handed

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=481553222
Posted By: blairvt Re: old school Mauser - 05/05/15
That is pretty. How much of a sin would it be to drill/tap?
Posted By: sactoller Re: old school Mauser - 05/05/15
Originally Posted by blairvt
What's a Thomas bland? Sounds a little over my budget but can we see pictures,

I will try and get some photos for you this weekend. You maybe surprised on how much.

Posted By: blairvt Re: old school Mauser - 05/05/15
Surprised good or bad?
Posted By: blairvt Re: old school Mauser - 05/08/15
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=481723694

opinions on this one?
Posted By: efw Re: old school Mauser - 05/08/15
I would say that rates a solid, heart-felt, HUBBA-FRIGGIN-HUBBA; she has lines where she ought. Not the best price but sure not the worst. I bet you could get $125 for that Lyman 48 on flEbay? D&T is $50-$75.

Don't hate me, but this just came back to me for about half the opening bid on that:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i480.photobucket.com/al...-8271-477082F5D432_zpsthjtae58.jpg[/img]

It has the original military safety & trigger so I am having the same safety installed as is on the gunbroker Mauser you cite ($130-ish installed), and can't decide on a trigger. The barrel is 24" and I'm thinking 21" is just right. I had it D&T'd & the charger hump ground, have Talley bases & rings on the way for a VX2 2-7x33mm w/ LRD.

Also picked up some wax I'm gonna use to fill in the pores & buff out tomorrow.

I really love these classic sporters and cast a pretty wide net. A client of mine trades uber high end knives and saw this at a show and knew it had my name on it.

Good luck in your quest!
Posted By: blairvt Re: old school Mauser - 05/09/15
That's a nice one, sounds like you got a great price
Posted By: RJC58 Re: old school Mauser - 05/09/15
What type of wax are you using? Paste wax, carnauba?
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: old school Mauser - 05/09/15
BUY IT!

Posted By: efw Re: old school Mauser - 05/09/15
Originally Posted by RJC58
What type of wax are you using? Paste wax, carnauba?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TC1 Re: old school Mauser - 05/09/15

Nice looking rifle at a great price. I would be proud to own it.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: old school Mauser - 05/09/15
Originally Posted by TC1

Skeleton butt plate looks like it is a little blurry, but will probably be ok if seen in person. The stock has some drop in it, but I would keep the iron sights, so, to me, that is a good thing. It looks like a good clean rifle from what I can see. It would already be sold if I wasn't faced with some large Veterinarian bills and needing new lawn mower. mad
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: old school Mauser - 05/09/15

Looks good. You could wait a good bit to find a better one at that price.

It's likely that there are a few lurkers waiting to pounce on it. If I wanted it, I'd just pay the Buy Now price and skip the suspence. Even if there were invisible issues, you're getting in low enough to deal with them and still be okay.

On the other hand, you can always keep looking if you enjoy the "chase".
Posted By: GeoW Re: old school Mauser - 05/09/15
Originally Posted by Mathsr
Originally Posted by TC1

Skeleton butt plate looks like it is a little blurry, but will probably be ok if seen in person. The stock has some drop in it, but I would keep the iron sights, so, to me, that is a good thing. It looks like a good clean rifle from what I can see. It would already be sold if I wasn't faced with some large Veterinarian bills and needing new lawn mower. mad

Pay the Vet, damn the lawn mower, buy the gun.

g
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: old school Mauser - 05/09/15
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

BUY IT!

+2 ... It would be tough to recreate the stock for the BIN price...
Posted By: Mathsr Re: old school Mauser - 05/09/15
Originally Posted by GeoW
Originally Posted by TC1

Pay the Vet, damn the lawn mower, buy the gun.

g

GeoW, you don't know how close I've comeā€¦ several times. I've had it on my watch list. I think it would be very difficult to duplicate at anything near the buy it now price unless you could do a lot of the work yourself and don't value your time
I've got a small ring Husqvarna that is destined to become a 7mm Mauser very similar to this one. It is going to be my "grail rifle" with a killer piece of fiddleback walnut in the classic style. If I didn't enjoy the planning and anticipation part of the build, I would have already bought this 7mm. The original poster would have had to of been really quick to have a chance at it.
Posted By: blairvt Re: old school Mauser - 05/10/15
Who got my rifle?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: old school Mauser - 05/10/15
With only $200 between the Buy Now price and the starting bid, it couldn't last long, especially since the Buy Now price was a good deal.

My bidding strategy is to just bid what I'm willing to pay and wait it out. If there's a Buy Now price that's a good deal, I just pay it. Dinking around to save a couple of bucks has cost me a few good ones.

There'll be another.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: old school Mauser - 05/10/15
My bidding strategy is to just bid what I'm willing to pay and wait it out. If there's a Buy Now price that's a good deal, I just pay it. Dinking around to save a couple of bucks has cost me a few good ones.

I could have written that my self.

Looks to me like somebody got a nice Mauser at a good price.
Posted By: WoodsyAl Re: old school Mauser - 05/10/15

I could have written that my self.

Looks to me like somebody got a nice Mauser at a good price.

I agree with both of you. Some folks apparently enjoy the "chase" more than I do. That's fine for them.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: old school Mauser - 05/15/15
I gifted youngest son this old beast I had in the safe. Neat old piece but like most of the stuff in the safes I don't get to use them as much as I would like. This one dated 12/23. 8 x 57 JS. DST's. Great shooter! Told him he HAD to shoot a deer or hog with it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: old school Mauser - 05/15/15
Have you ever considered adoption? I'm available, Daddy.
LOL! Hell I couldnt afford feeding our old brood! No, he and his brother have helped a bunch since their mothers two strokes back in January. Least I could do! Gave his older brother a #1mkIII SMLE. It's what he wanted. They will appreciate them!
Good idea to give them something while you're still around to see them enjoy it. It also will help simplify things when you take that final "Big Step".

My sons told me that every time I sell or trade something, I'm messing up the "split" they've devised.
So the "split" plan is evidently a universal thing???? laugh
Oh, yeah.

It's kinda cold though to discuss the split while the doner is in the same room!

Can I presume you have enough Model 8s to go around? If not, you might have to pick up some more.
I am clean out of Model 8's. All I got left is a beater 81.

But they sure are giving my other Mausers and Krags a close eye!!
I watched "Ride the High Country" a few weeks back, and one of the bad guys was packing a Model 8 ( the movie is set in 1908 ).

I thought, "kaywoodie would like this one".
It was Warren Oates! I watched it too!!! smile
Good flick. About old farts, for old farts. "Monte Walsh" is another good one for geezers. I watched it for the first time recently.
Posted By: WoodsyAl Re: old school Mauser - 05/15/15
I think it is much better to give gifts with a warm hand than with a cold hand. You get to see the pleasure the recipient receives. Good for you, Kaywoodie.
Nice line, WoodsyAl. I might have to steal that one.
Posted By: WoodsyAl Re: old school Mauser - 05/16/15
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Nice line, WoodsyAl. I might have to steal that one.

Have at it! I do believe in the sentiment expressed. When we reach a certain age, and are not going to use some of our things, why not pass them on to someone we love who will use and cherish them while we are still alive?
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: old school Mauser - 05/16/15
Al. I agree 100%. I like seeing the "your sh**ing me!" Look on their face when I do it!!! Sorry to sound so crude, but that's my best description. Due to her health situation, Wifey has given some of her stuff away. Can't wait to see look on one of the grandson's face when he gets a nice Savage 99F for Christmas this year!!!
Posted By: mrfudd Re: old school Mauser - 05/16/15
Are you still looking? Any specific caliber or features? I have a nice 50's FN with a factory receiver sight in 06 and a 98 with claw mounts and scope in 8mm.
Posted By: blairvt Re: old school Mauser - 05/16/15
Sure. Send pics to [email protected]
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: old school Mauser - 05/16/15
Good Luck Blairvt!!!! I hope they are what you are looking for. Life's too short to do without a real nice Mauser!!!
Posted By: blairvt Re: old school Mauser - 05/30/15
any opinions on this one

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=485279656
Posted By: exbiologist Re: old school Mauser - 05/30/15
Not as special as I'd like for close to a grand. Seems like you like open sights more than I do for a custom Mauser, so our tastes are a bit different.

That being said, just doing a search for custom mausers on gunbroker turned up a few options:

Fun and old school, with the option of sights:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=485671236

Love the wood, but don't like the carving:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=485456687

I like this rig a lot, not sure what it will go for:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=485967603

Very tasteful, very subdued here:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=485459945

Spendy, probably overpriced, the red hues in the stain and the finish style don't suit my tastes, but interesting nevertheless in a .280 and octagon barrel:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=485486520

Nice, simple, but probably overpriced in my opinion:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=486503499

Stock shape isn't my style, but I like the matte bluing, and oil finish on the stock. Stock could be reshaped though:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=485807368

You might catch the guy, with this being a .270, but there's a lot I like about the classic style of this one. Nice fiddleback, clean lines.:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=486161850

I'd reshape the grip and forend here plus maybe straighten the comb, but I like the wood, and it might go for a decent enough price:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=486089650

Love the classic lines on this gun, but it's got some dings and someone else's initials on it. All of which can be fixed. Neat piece, wish it were closer to $1,500 though:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=486090319
Posted By: blairvt Re: old school Mauser - 05/31/15
open sights are optional for me. I hate side mount scopes. I'm still kicking myself for not getting the first one I posted. A few dollars doesn't matter now.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: old school Mauser - 05/31/15
Do you like the one you posted a link to above?

yeah, I do like it. How hard would it be to fix up the runs in the stock finish?
Buy it.

As far as the runs in the stock finish,would think not to hard,maybe just a re-finish. If it were me buying it,I would not worry about them.
I just went to Cabelas and got a old S&W marked Husqvarna with a VX-II 4-12 AO. $525 with Military discount. It was marked I-bolt. I'm thinking they don't know what it was.
Congrats!
Still looking for a old custom military mauser, but that was to good to pass up. Scope is expensive and rifle is nice
Something like this? IIRC it's a Yugoslavian. Caliber is .25-06.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

pretty rifle, but I've never been able to warm up to no checkering
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: old school Mauser - 06/01/15
wink
Posted By: brymoore Re: old school Mauser - 06/01/15
I don't want to steal blairvt's thunder but I have a similar request as his.

My 15-year old son wants an authentic German K-98 that's been sporterized in 8x57. His budget is up to $600ish. The bank of Dad will finance the project for him while he earns money this summer. I have a scope he can "borrow" for the time being. I'll buy the dies, etc. for reloading.

If you have you have or know someone with a Mauser who wants to help a budding hunter, please PM me. I'll also post this in the Classifieds.

If you have a problem with this message, blairvt, I'll delete it.

Thanks

Bryan

Posted By: blairvt Re: old school Mauser - 06/01/15
fine with me, have at it
Posted By: Slavek Re: old school Mauser - 06/01/15
I just went to Cabelas and got a old S&W marked Husqvarna with a VX-II 4-12 AO. $525 with Military discount. It was marked I-bolt. I'm thinking they don't know what it was.

HVA is best bang for the buck in good handling classic Mauser sporting rifle. Prices for ones with birch stock in common calibers start at about $300 and go up from there.
Posted By: Slavek Re: old school Mauser - 06/01/15
Originally Posted by Peator

The problem with Czechoslovak Mauser Sporters is that they became too expensive. Pre-war Oberndorf Mausers are also too expensive. There are better values out there for those that know better.

Posted By: exbiologist Re: old school Mauser - 06/01/15
Originally Posted by brymoore

My 15-year old son wants an authentic German K-98 that's been sporterized in 8x57. His budget is up to $600ish. The bank of Dad will finance the project for him while he earns money this summer. I have a scope he can "borrow" for the time being. I'll buy the dies, etc. for reloading.

If you have you have or know someone with a Mauser who wants to help a budding hunter, please PM me. I'll also post this in the Classifieds.

Thanks

Bryan

Could you talk him into this?
http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info.php?products_id=39854

Not a K98, but may be more of what he's looking for in terms of a finished product
Posted By: z1r Re: old school Mauser - 06/01/15
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Originally Posted by brymoore

Thanks

Bryan

Could you talk him into this?

You couldn't have picked an uglier example?

Front scope base holes are too far back. Plugged holes on left side of receiver, stock has multiple cracks.

True that the 640's are a great value, just not that one.

Bryan,

If you are into the 640 idea, I have a nicer unmolested example.

http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info.php?products_id=39854

Not a K98, but may be more of what he's looking for in terms of a finished product
Posted By: z1r Re: old school Mauser - 06/03/15
Hmm, my last reply seems to be all messed up.

Here is what I intended in response to the Simpsons Husqvarna:

You couldn't have picked an uglier example?

Front scope base holes are too far back. Plugged holes on left side of receiver, stock has multiple cracks.

True that the 640's are a great value, just not that one.

Bryan,

If you are into the 640 idea, I have a nicer unmolested example.
Posted By: blairvt Re: old school Mauser - 06/04/15
I went to a local gun shop and they had a Mauser banner standard modell 22-250. Has double set triggers. I meant to take pictures before I took at apart but didn't. I'm stripping the stock and refinishing. I was surprised that the triggers came out with the floor plate. Am I going to have problems putting it back together? Price, $350! I think the action would be worth more than that. Anyone know about a Mauser banner standard modell?
Posted By: z1r Re: old school Mauser - 06/04/15
Yes, typically the action alone is worth more than what you paid. If the triggers work and are complete, then that only adds to the worth. It is normal for the riggers to be pinned and or screwed to the bottom metal. Reassembly is easy, just put it back the way you took it out.

Std Modell is a commercial marked K98 for all intents and purposes. A high quality action.

If it is nice shape, you did well.
No rust and triggers function perfectly. Pretty piece of checkered walnut that just needs to be freshened up. Bluing isn't real strong, just used looking. I'll see how it shoots, if I don't like it I could see it becoming a 338-06. This one is drilled and has a old redfield base. Did they come d&t'd?
Posted By: z1r Re: old school Mauser - 06/04/15
No, they were military rifles and were not drilled & tapped.
This one doesn't have the clip hump either, and the Mauser banner is very light. It's been worked on
Posted By: RJC58 Re: old school Mauser - 06/04/15
Z1r,

I'd comment on your avatar but I'm concerned she might be related.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: old school Mauser - 06/04/15
One of my favorites. Beats the Hell out a monkey with a machine gun
Posted By: swarf Re: old school Mauser - 06/04/15
I am working on a Mauser project for myself. I have the PAWS bottom metal already. (Don't say anything. Price was right.) New receiver.

I have been thinking about going retro, and putting a Williams one piece base on it. I wonder if they still have the "Ace-in the Hole" peep sight available? Making a 375 Scovill. I'd use a banded ramp, and maybe a barrel band front swivel. Always wanted to do this when I was a kid in the early 60's. I'd get a classic blank from Boyds, and start removing wood.

When your doing your own work in the basement for fun...have fun.

Posted By: Jmbrown Re: old school Mauser - 06/05/15
http://www.hallowellco.com/magazine.htm

They have a lot of really nice rifles on here. I recently bought a Paul Jaeger rifle built on a FN Mauser action in 7mm Mag from them. Morris hallowell is great to deal with also and their photography is top notch.
Posted By: blairvt Re: old school Mauser - 06/15/15
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=489370071
what questions should I ask about this one? I've asked for more pictures. Please don't buy it
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: old school Mauser - 06/16/15
The only question I would ask would be how much to make out the Money Order for, including shipping.
© 24hourcampfire