Home
Posted By: Eremicus I HATE Big Stick - 04/05/02
I was at the local gun shop yesterday. Found a very nice wood/carbon steel M7 Remington in 7-08. The guy wanted $550 for it. He seems to think because he has a variable Burris on it, and has shot it very little, he can get it.
<br> The trouble is, if it had been a .223, I would have made an offer.
<br> The first thing I noticed is the narrow, one screw rear bridge. And, of course, no wart. Nice wood. I could keep that, and have Pac-Nor do a barrel for it. Until I decide on what kind of McMillian I wanted for it.
<br> See what that guy can do to you ?
<br> I got my .25-284 back. Gentry SS scope mounts. Rifle Basic trigger @ 2 lbs. GRIN !!! See what that guy did to me !
<br> Now, I have to work up some loads for those 75 gr. X bullets I couldn't resist. The ones that maintain 100% of their weight even when they impact at 3400 fps. Not that I'm unhappy with the 100 gr. XCL's. I just couldn't resist. Darn that guy !
<br> Then there is the "Light Tactical Project". A .260 Rem. 9.5 lbs. all up. Complete with a Mk.4, M3 10X.
<br> What am I going to do guys ? I'm hooked ! E
<br>
Posted By: RickF Re: I HATE Big Stick - 04/05/02
I'd try to give an appropriate response, but I'm too busy planning my 223Ackley! :-)
Posted By: RickBin Re: I HATE Big Stick - 04/05/02
E:
<br>
<br>How about posting a picture of those Gentry's on that quarter-bore of yours. I'm strongly considering them for my .25-06 AI.
<br>
<br>Rick
Posted By: Eremicus Re: I HATE Big Stick - 04/05/02
I guess I need to break out the camera. Gentry's website has some good pics if I remember right. Sorry, but I don't have the addy handy.
<br> The big point is they are very light, like three (3) ozs. ! And the mounts take a very good bite on the rings. The rings are one piece, and are buried in the mounts. Much better than the stock redfield, windage style mounts. But not as tough as the Dual Dovetail set up. They also allow easier access to the loading port over the one piece mounts for the other systems. I got them in SS for about $135. E
E:
<br>
<br>I just went outside and weighed a set of fixed-ring Talley rings and bases, including screws. These would be the gold standard for strength, etc., as far as I'm concerned. I simply love Talley's!
<br>
<br>I get 128.7 grams, which divided by 28 yields 4.6 oz.
<br>
<br>Do you have any hard figures on what those Gentry's weigh?
<br>
<br>Rick
Posted By: Eremicus Re: I HATE Big Stick - 04/05/02
Hi Rick. The info I have is supplied by Gentry. I didn't weigh them, and I have no way to weigh the rifle at present.
<br> He says the rings go 1/2 oz each. And the two bases go two ozs. They sure feel, and look that light. I know the whole rifle feels a good 5- 6 ozs. less !
<br> WOW !
Hmmm. That makes 1.6 oz. diff. Wonder if it's worth it?
<br>
<br>Rick
Posted By: klallen Re: I HATE Big Stick - 04/06/02
http://www.gentrycustom.com/ringsbases.html
Posted By: Big Stick Re: I HATE Big Stick - 04/06/02
E,
<br>
<br>You mean 260ACKLEY(grin)................
Posted By: rembo Re: I HATE Big Stick - 04/06/02
RickF.,how IS your 223 Ackley project coming along? I know what you mean about "the Stick", I keep my 257 Roberts locked up and outa sight,just in case I read another 25/284 thread and can't resist.
Rembo,
<br>
<br>I'm trying to sway Flinch into posting his latest 25-284 findings,out of his 26" barreled version. You would freak out!.......
I think I know where there is a new SS/Syn .223 Mod 7.....That is if anybody is interested..[Linked Image] Besides me that is...
<br>
<br>Too many wants and wishes not enough $$$$...
<br>
<br>Mike
Posted By: Cazador Re: I HATE Big Stick - 04/06/02
Thats right E, in one breath he is singing the praises of 257Wby and 25-284 the next 338 Ultra, and then has the audacity to advocate the 7-08. You cant incite riots by praising Ackley and then talk about the 7-08! Doesnt he know that there are four classes of hunters: light and fast, heavy and fast, slow and heavy, and the wusses who use 30-06's and the like? You cant like them all! He has three of the four covered! Where will the madness end? [Linked Image]
A Hot Rod 10/22,must be the last class?!?
<br>
<br>I'm off to work,you gents have a good day...........
Don't hate tha playa's...hate tha game[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Heard that on a movie one time!!!
<br>
<br>Mike
.........and THE MAN pockets the last of his winnings, wishes the suckers a good day, and rides off into the sunset, leaving the rubes behind, wondering how it all happened.........
Posted By: Don_Martin Re: I HATE Big Stick - 04/16/02
I don't hate Big Stick. He is amusing. Much better than Keith vrs O'Connor due to the miracle of the net.
<br>
<br>I have my own bunch of odd ball cartridges here.
<br>
<br>
Posted By: Flinch Re: I HATE Big Stick - 04/18/02
The results of the .25-284 with the 26" pipe are posted under, "RICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" on the rifle board. Damn that Big Stick character! Flinch
Posted By: Flinch Re: I HATE Big Stick - 04/18/02
Oops, sorry about that. They are posted under "big game" and "RICK!!!!!!!!!!!". My Cokacola hasn't settled me down yet. Flinch
Posted By: kev Re: I HATE Big Stick - 05/16/02
HI,
<br>
<br>I can understand why, here is a guy hunting, fishing and living the way he wants, kind of bugs ya. I am jealous ,and then he has to be a good man that just gets under my skin,Kev
© 24hourcampfire