Home
Posted By: Otter6 Official off season question. - 05/24/15
It's Memorial Day (weekend) everyone. The official start of the off season for us hunting folks. I have an off season question that has been nagging me for awhile.

Will a Kimber Montana in 30/06 kill a chupacabra? If so how far? Do you have to use a Berger,or will a TTSX be OK? Just wondering.

God Bless all our Vets and their families. Everyone have a safe and happy holiday.
As long as the rifle has been blessed by a priest, it should work.
Only if you shoot it left handed.
Yup.

As far as you can see a chupacabra.

Berger will be fine.
I don't know. I think a chupacabra might need a TTSX!
My Kimber 30-06 has killed several chupacabras but only the white arctic chupacabras. We use full metal jackets for adequate penetration. I believe the southern ones are softer, apparently they're not frozen.
Down here in S.Texas where there's lots of them, and they are"bigger" than anywhere ,(other than the West Central Mexican coast), a 375 H&H is the bare minimum unless you are using a "Certified Chupacabra Guide". I personally use a 416 Rem. semi-auto with 528gr. Titatanium bullets, which I make myself, running 3674 fps. This is a very effective load if you hit them in the right spot. Hope this clears up any myths or misconceptions concerning this elusive critter. Happy Memorial Day, and thanks veterans.
Holy crap! I had no idea Chupacabra were so tough. The ones I've seen were running with Sasquatches. I figured to run rabbits for them. Might be for protection. I darn sure know I don't want anything to do with a 5.5 lb 416 Rem. Sounds like a job for a full custom build!
Posted By: 1Nut Re: Official off season question. - 05/24/15
Meh... they aint too tough. I use an Amax outta my 260. Just shoot for the lungs and avoid hitting bone. whistle However, when they run with Grassmen, I lean more toward TSXs or Partitions at a minimum outta my 300 Mangleum.

Some will take a 223AI, but that's trick shooting. I wouldn't want to try and stop a charge with a 223...
"300 Mangleum" sounds devastating. I have seen the 223AI thread. Aint seen no Chupacabra over there! Lots of various skins though.
If I were going after chupacabra, I would want at least a 30-06 Ackley Improved. Tracking a wounded goat sucker wouldn't be my idea of fun.
Don't know, but it works fine on a Great Harry Hide Behind.
In Colorado we have the Mountain Chupacabra. They are generally found above 12,000, and sometimes hang out as high as 16-18,000 feet, so you need to be in really good shape. Out here we use heavy ballistic tips in a long barreled light rifle. Nothing less then a 300gr bullet at 3200fps, unless you really like tracking. If you wound one, they almost always go straight up the mountain, but since you hunt them above tree line anyway, that usually means you will at least get a couple more shots at them.

If one of you Eastern Flatlanders drew a tag for up here, you better start getting into shape right now.
Like vampires, use silver bullets.
Do Winchester Silvertips count?
Originally Posted by sambo3006
Do Winchester Silvertips count?

They have to be the Ballistic Silvertips.
I'd blow some sage down the barrel
Silly boys, you can kill'em just fine with 22 shorts. All ya have to do is sprinkle a little ground up unicorn horn on the bullet first. Instant death.

Dave.
We don't kill them in these parts. We're training them.
Posted By: las Re: Official off season question. - 05/27/15
I've often wondered....what part of the goat do those things suck? Are they Muslim?
Originally Posted by jim54
Down here in S.Texas where there's lots of them, and they are"bigger" than anywhere ,(other than the West Central Mexican coast), a 375 H&H is the bare minimum unless you are using a "Certified Chupacabra Guide". I personally use a 416 Rem. semi-auto with 528gr. Titatanium bullets, which I make myself, running 3674 fps. This is a very effective load if you hit them in the right spot. Hope this clears up any myths or misconceptions concerning this elusive critter. Happy Memorial Day, and thanks veterans.

Yeah, that's fine for those little Texas chupacabras, but what do you use on the dreaded Anarctic heffalump?
For the "dreaded Anartic heffalump" a .460 Wby or to be really oddball a .460 A-Square Short.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
For the "dreaded Anartic heffalump" a .460 Wby or to be really oddball a .460 A-Square Short.

I call BS. The locals regularly kill them with .22 rimfire and the 303 British.
Originally Posted by Otter6
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

I call BS. The locals regularly kill them with .22 rimfire and the 303 British.
Well,if you have BS's phone number,call,and it'll confirm it. grin
Originally Posted by Otter6

Will a Kimber Montana in 30/06 kill a chupacabra? If so how far? Do you have to use a Berger,or will a TTSX be OK? Just wondering.

No.

The bullet does not matter.

The cartridge will only work in a M70.
© 24hourcampfire