Home
I have been collecting Pre 64 Model 70s for quite some time, but have always hesitated to hunt with them. Well, that changed last weekend when I answered a local ad and ended up buying a 1955 Featherweight in 270 Win.

The rifle shows some wear with the checkering worn pretty smooth and the finish on the aluminum butt plate and floor plate wearing thin. I did some cosmetic restoration that suits me just fine. The stock is structurally very sound with both sights and front sight hood being in good shape. The overall bluing is quite good. The rifling looked sharp.

I mounted the Leupold Vari-X III, 3.5x10x40 that I was not currently using.

Now for the true test. I took it to the range today and with the least expensive (Hornady Whitetail, 130 gr) I could find locally, I was shooting 1 inch groups after a couple of adjustments.

Take a look;

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[IMG]http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa333/donsm70/IMG_2147_zpszsapdq91.jpg[

[URL=http://s1192.photobucket.com/user/donsm70/media/IMG_2151_zpsuyzdx3gc.jpg.html][Linked Image]

Thanks for looking.

donsm70

Congratulations. The Winchester 'Featherweight' .270 competes very well with modern hunting rifles. It is very hard to ask for a better classic hunting rifle. It is refreshing to see quality modern scope on old Model 70. Sadly most guys keep original vintage scopes on those guns. From optical performance perspective most of those scopes are inferior to Simmons sold at Walmart.
Nothing wrong with that at all. Pure class.
Excellent. You found a great rifle right there. It's about time you started using those pre 64's for hunting!!! You'll enjoy the heck out of that one Don. Nice rifle..
You are all set now! Congrats.
Ah, one of the finest rifles ever made..... you'll love spending time afield with that classic, congrats!
Don't feel bad. I like 1911's.
Very nice and congratulations on picking up a nice new hunting rifle.
Sharp rifle.. Nice find.. Enjoy..
Nice!
Sweet!!
K O O L !

Classic w/o a doubt.

Congrats.
Very nice setup!!
I`m originally from S.W.PA. (84)
What town do you hail from?
Nice looking rifle!
Nice!
Nice Gun! Fwt's were made to be hunted with!
Nice looking rig classy and classic, will you have a recoil pad installed for your hunting and target practice?
Thanks for all the kind comments guys.

For StrayDog; Thanks and absolutely not!

donsm70
SWEET Congrats on a fine Classic Rifle, in the perfect cal for that rifle...and she shoots !!! ScottyO.
Slick setup!
Dang Don, Id refresh the checkering on that thing and hunt the crap out of it. Very nice example and hard to improve on no matter how modern you go. powdr
Thanks powdr,

That is my plan at this point. At my age, this Winney and I could grow old together! This just might be my "forever" Pa. deer rifle.

donsm70

PS. As much as I would like to go retro on the scope, my 66 year old eyes need something a little better.
Let us know if you ever decide to sell any of your other ones smile
Purty rifle reminds me of my half finished Savage 300 for its simplicity... first time I had it out at the range hit a playing card at 100yards with just a couple fliers... breathe.... hold... squeeze
© 24hourcampfire