Home
I know that many hunters use Tikka T3s as their backcountry/mountain rifles. Traditionally I have been more of a bowhunter, but I expect to do much more rifle hunting in the future and am looking to expand my rifle "quiver". I want something tough, dependable, durable, etc. It will be hunted rain or shine and bashed through the bush. The Tikka T3 and Sako 85 are what I have concentrated on.

I could afford the Sako, but want to figure out just exactly what I am paying for.

Are the differences primarily cosmetic (e.g. better fit/finish, etc.)? If the Tikka has proven to be just as reliable, tough, dependable, etc. it will be tougher for me to justify spending double.
They are both good dependable guns. The Tikka has more plastic but it's tough stuff.

I think you should handle both and just pick the one that feels best to you.

PS
Look at the scope mounting system of both and what mounts are available.
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
They are both good dependable guns. The Tikka has more plastic but it's tough stuff.

PS

+1. The Sako comes in a true, short action if that matters to you. If I were going with a long-action cartridge, I'd save the money difference and buy a "better" scope to put on a Tikka. If I wanted a short action cartridge, I'd go with the Sako just on principle.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Dave
My T3 SS 7/08 is going to see some miles this year..

I recommend Tikka T3s for a lot of guys but the T3 feels like a disposable Sako.

The Tikka just do not feel as solid as the Sako. If I was planning on using it for a very long time I would buy the Sako.

But, you probably cannot go wrong with the T3.

Pieter

I know that Steyr rifles were not on the OP's original list.

Not to take away anything from Sakos or Tikkas, having owned a whole bunch of different rifles, you might look at the Steyr Mountain rifle, or Steyr Professional.

[Linked Image]

Top to bottom, Steyr Pro, 7mag, 26" barrel, Steyr Mountain Rifle, 308 Win. 20" barrel, Steyr Pro, 376 Steyr, 20" barrel.

Although butt-ugly,they are shooters,with actions that are slicker than owl schitt, adjustable two stage trigger and LOP, can be had in stainless or blue steel (with Mannox coating), and can be purchased at a great value if one takes a reasonable amount of time looking on the net. IIRC I paid $540 (including shipping) for the 308 Win.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

JAPPFT,

GWB
I am on about my fourth Tikka and haven't had a bobble with any of them yet. Matter of fact, they have been more trouble free than my 700s and model 70s. by a long wide margin. Has any one had problems with them, other than the fact that they aren't pre 64 Winchesters?

Tikka equals the best return for your money on a hunting rifle.
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

PS
Tikka and Sako both have optilock systems available for them but they take different units. Don't judge Tikka's mount system by the "free" ring/base integral unit provided with the rifles. Most with any experience with rifles and scopes toss those in a drawer or the trash and go out and buy Warne's or Talley's. The free rings are more useable if one buys decent screws for them. The ones provided are too soft.
As pointed out, handle both. There's not a whole lot of "feel" difference assuming you're not comparing their $9000 safari to a T# smile. I compared a Finnlight to a T3 recently since those are basically the same model level.

I was surprised that that Sako was CRF, so if that matters to you, go Sako. The stock also had over-molded rubber and some slight upgrades. In my eyes, it was not $800 better, but I'm also a young'n that does not despise composite (mag, bolt shroud, and more i'm sure). I've grown rather fond of Tikkas lately. They just handle/point extremely naturally for me. So much so that I'm selling my Savage that I was planning a build on and scrapping the build so I can get a Tikka.
I've not used either of your choices, but the Tikka is good enough for these guys. even though the article says it is a Sako T3 CRT, it is known as a Tikka in the states.
I've had two T3's for over 10 years, one 7mag and the other 7-08. If you torque the included rings to 15-17 in/lbs you'll have zero issues with them. If you tighten with a cheater bar, you'll have lot's of issues with them. I've never had a bobble out of mine.

They are no nonsense, boringly accurate, not afraid to drag around, you'll never stare at one and say "ain't she a beauty", hunting rifles.
Originally Posted by K1500
I've not used either of your choices, but the Tikka is good enough for these guys. even though the article says it is a Sako T3 CRT, it is known as a Tikka in the states.
A 308 for Polar bears when we know a .222 works. crazy

Shoulda got them .338's.
They are no nonsense, boringly accurate, not afraid to drag around, you'll never stare at one and say "ain't she a beauty", hunting rifles.
I do when they shoot groups like this:
[Linked Image]

And they do more than other rifles I've owned.
Originally Posted by tarheelpwr
As pointed out, handle both. There's not a whole lot of "feel" difference assuming you're not comparing their $9000 safari to a T# smile. I compared a Finnlight to a T3 recently since those are basically the same model level.

I was surprised that that Sako was CRF, so if that matters to you, go Sako. The stock also had over-molded rubber and some slight upgrades. In my eyes, it was not $800 better, but I'm also a young'n that does not despise composite (mag, bolt shroud, and more i'm sure). I've grown rather fond of Tikkas lately. They just handle/point extremely naturally for me. So much so that I'm selling my Savage that I was planning a build on and scrapping the build so I can get a Tikka.

Have had a few Tikkas T3 and a few Sakos and now down to one Sako 75. I can live with a Sako Factory stock, definitely like the action and detachable magazine more as well.
Originally Posted by geedubya

Not to take away anything from Sakos or Tikkas, having owned a whole bunch of different rifles, you might look at the Steyr Mountain rifle, or Steyr Professional.

[Linked Image]

Top to bottom, Steyr Pro, 7mag, 26" barrel, Steyr Mountain Rifle, 308 Win. 20" barrel, Steyr Pro, 376 Steyr, 20" barrel.

Although butt-ugly,they are shooters,with actions that are slicker than owl schitt, adjustable two stage trigger and LOP, can be had in stainless or blue steel (with Mannox coating), and can be purchased at a great value if one takes a reasonable amount of time looking on the net. IIRC I paid $540 (including shipping) for the 308 Win.

JAPPFT,

GWB

One of the most overlooked rifles of all time
Out of my small group of hunting buds we have only had two rifles malfunction.One was a tikka t3,the bolt stop went MIA and resulted in a confused moose but otherwise unharmed.lol The other was a gunked up Remington trigger that had the wrong Lube for the severe cold temperatures we had.

Most rifles are fairly reliable if the proper maintenance and pre hunt checks are done
The sako you will most likely be dragging through the bush in bad weather will be the stainless synthetic which means you are paying $1800 or whatever they go for these days for a barreled action as the plastic stock is worth $50. 85s also have well documented ejection problems so read up on that before you fork over the cash for one. A stainless tikka will cost you a third of that. Put it in a mcmillan and you are g2g. If you are going to spend what a SS 85 costs, have one built on a sucks action for not much more. My .02.
Originally Posted by kman
The sako you will most likely be dragging through the bush in bad weather will be the stainless synthetic which means you are paying $1800 or whatever they go for these days for a barreled action as the plastic stock is worth $50. 85s also have well documented ejection problems so read up on that before you fork over the cash for one. A stainless tikka will cost you a third of that. Put it in a mcmillan and you are g2g. If you are going to spend what a SS 85 costs, have one built on a sucks action for not much more. My .02.

Sako 75 and 85 synthetics can be purchased for much less then what you said. 75's can be purchased for little more then a T3. If the plastic stock on the 75 and 85 is worth 50 dollars what is the stock worth on a T3? SS Tikkas are closer to 700+ out the door and putting it in anywhere from 550 -650 dollar Mcmillan stock makes it the same price as a Sako 85.

Keep hearing about these 85 ejection failures but don't know of anyone that has one having any sort of issues.
Sakko/Tikka is worthy of any hunter for a lot less money.

Check out the Sako A7 original first version. They are lot lighter than recent models and they are priced the same as a new Tikka T3 SS SL.
I've even found the A7 for $650.00 and a little less.

If you can't find an A7 go for the Tikka T3 SL (Superlight)

Again, the SL and the A7 weigh the same. The SL may advertise less weight but they must be taking out the bolt when they weigh them.

Either way you'll have a 7 lb rifle scoped and ready to go.

I would also change out the recoil pad to a Limbsaver for either.

I have two of each and love them!
Originally Posted by SU35
Sakko/Tikka is worthy of any hunter for a lot less money.

Check out the Sako A7 original first version. They are lot lighter than recent models and they are priced the same as a new Tikka T3 SS SL.
I've even found the A7 for $650.00 and a little less.

If you can't find an A7 go for the Tikka T3 SL (Superlight)

Again, the SL and the A7 weigh the same. The SL may advertise less weight but they must be taking out the bolt when they weigh them.

Either way you'll have a 7 lb rifle scoped and ready to go.

I would also change out the recoil pad to a Limbsaver for either.

I have two of each and love them!

Yes I really like my 270 win Superlight !
Very accurate with sweet trigger.
Mine weighed exactly as advertised ,5.8 pounds or 5 pounds 12.5 ounces with the bolt

Why is the Mcmillan stock needed for the T3 ?
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Sako 75 and 85 synthetics can be purchased for much less then what you said. 75's can be purchased for little more then a T3. If the plastic stock on the 75 and 85 is worth 50 dollars what is the stock worth on a T3? SS Tikkas are closer to 700+ out the door and putting it in anywhere from 550 -650 dollar Mcmillan stock makes it the same price as a Sako 85.

Keep hearing about these 85 ejection failures but don't know of anyone that has one having any sort of issues.

Kman probably lives in canada wear a sako 85 goes for 1800 to 1900 before tax 5%to10%
Originally Posted by bcraig

Why is the Mcmillan stock needed for the T3 ?

Beat me to it.......I have Mcmillan's, B&C's, and a T3 in it's original black stock. IMO the Mc's aint' worth the $500 asking price for any rifle, and won't make any Tikka shoot better than they already do.
Heres a pic of mine.

T3 Superlight 270 Winchester
did a little trigger mod for a one and a half pound trigger pull
Added a 3rd ring ,lapped and then bedded rings with JB Weld,stainless base screws(M5-0.8 x 16 mm)from Lowes
Allen Buttstock pouch with foam under it for perfect cheekweld
and Carrying extra 5 round Magazine.
Leupold VX1 3-9x40

[Linked Image]
Buy the Tikka, use as is, and treat your self to an out of town hunt or a classy binocular with the left over money
I know nothing about the Sako 85, but wasn't there a thing about ejection issues? Just suggesting one look into it before buying.
Ejection issues are not in the short actions, which is the one I have most interest in.
Buy the Sako. If you don't you always wish you had.

I have only ever owned one T3 and it was a nice gun but it's not a Sako.

I own a pile of Sako's and you will not regrett owning one.

Dink
Own many Sakos, and several Tikkas. They both shoot very similar, however the quality of the Sako is defintately much better in terms of the action and stock.

Sako rifles are very hard to beat in terms of accuracy and functionality.
Many folks here on the fire hate the Optilock rings, however I've used them on every Sako I own and never have had an ounce of trouble.

Go with the Sako!
Here's a couple items to consider:

Pros of Sako:
- Magazine allows for top loading without round being inserted into cartridge to chamber
- Comes in short action
- Metal magazine (if that matters)

Pros of Tikka:
- Less expensive than Sako
- Light weight
- Can mount a picatinny rail or dovetail rings

I have both and they shoot similarly. If money isn't an issue, I'd choose the Sako. Honestly, in this choice, there is no wrong answer.
I have both and prefer the Sako due to the scaled action sizes and all metal parts. The ejection issues are only found on certain caliber and scope combinations. I also like the feel and utility of the ST stock on the Finnlight models.
For a Backcountry Mountain rifle I would go with a Tikka Superlite. Touph as nails and much nicer to pack than the Sako due to the difference in weight.

Shod
As big as a fan as I am of The Tikka and especially the Sako A7 IMO A Kimber Montana cannot be beat. You don't want anything to fail or break or get lost in the back country. No plastic shrouds or trigger guards and no magazine to loose.

I'd carry a Montana all day everyday over my A7 if I could shoot it better offhand.
Originally Posted by Shag
As big as a fan as I am of The Tikka and especially the Sako A7 IMO A Kimber Montana cannot be beat. You don't want anything to fail or break or get lost in the back country. No plastic shrouds or trigger guards and no magazine to loose.

I'd carry a Montana all day everyday over my A7 (IF I COULD SHOOT IT BETTER OFFHAND.)

In my humble opinion there is such a thing as a rifle being to lite. Its the very reason why I choose my tikka over the Montana.

Shod
I've had many Tikka's and they all shot very well. I just bought my first Sako 85 Classic in .270Win. and a Sako Brown Bear in 375 H&H. Love 'em both so far. Heavier? Yes but the wood to metal fit is impeccable and the accuracy is very good.
The Tikka T3 is strictly a "tool". The Classic and Brown Bear have "heart and soul" with their good looks.
I am going to make these my "tough backcountry" rifles and create memories with each hunt. Here are a couple pics from the Classic 85.

I've got Opti-Locks on both and I find them to be easy to work with. Alaska will be testing the Brown Bear in 65 days.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Just look up all the threads about the trouble dialing in Tikkas and how often they fail.
If I was looking for a new light rifle for under $700 I would buy a Tikka T3 Super Lite in Stainless. Having owned 12 Tikka's so far I have had a lot of time shooting them, I liked the several Sako Finnlights I have owned but the cheaper Tikka's on average shot better.

The first generation Sako A7 I had was the most accurate gun I have ever owned. That is the only one I wished I had kept so a A7 would also be a good choice.

Originally Posted by 16bore
Just look up all the threads about the trouble dialing in Tikkas and how often they fail.

Troof!
I wish Tikka would make a varmint weight .243 or 6.5 creedmoor with about a 24" barrel.
Originally Posted by fats
I wish Tikka would make a varmint weight .243 or 6.5 creedmoor with about a 24" barrel.

They make the T3 sporter in 260 and 6.5x55 with a 24" barrel. I have a 260 for sale, but it has the threaded 20" barrel.
Originally Posted by Shodd
Originally Posted by Shag

I'd carry a Montana all day everyday over my A7 (IF I COULD SHOOT IT BETTER OFFHAND.)

In my humble opinion there is such a thing as a rifle being to lite. Its the very reason why I choose my tikka over the Montana.

Shod

I was on the range this morning shooting one of each (along with some other rifles): a Tikka in 270 and a Montana in 308. Both shot just fine. The Tikka a little tighter from slung, sitting than the Montana, but not by much. I was holding both inside 4" at 200 regularly. From the bench, both were shooting MOA or better before I started practicing field positions. I'd have no qualms carrying either rifle, and prefer the Montana when it's steep. It's not often that I've had to shoot off-hand, and never at distance. I find a rest of some kind, or use a bipod.

Both are great rifles.
My buddy was looking to get a rifle. He held my tikka and went out and bought one. Put on a vortex viper on it in DNZ one piece.
He sent me this when he went out mid week to shoot. T3 Lite stainless 30/06 at 200 yards from bench. No need to spend more $$
[Linked Image]
I see a "pattern" here in addition to what the targets show.
What's that big whoop ?
I wish I had never sold my Tikka T3 Stainless in 270. It was a tackdriver and would have done everything I needed from a big game rifle. Instead I sold it and have gun through multiple rifles since.

Whenever someone wants to get into hunting I tell them to get a Tikka, a great scope and to not worry about rifles after that. Put the money towards hunts and quality gear.
Originally Posted by micro240
I want something tough, dependable, durable, etc. It will be hunted rain or shine and bashed through the bush.

Get a stainless Ruger 77, either MKII or Hawkeye.
Out of your choices, T3 vs 85, I'd just get the Tikka.

Never owned an 85 but recently fiddled with one, and have owned a few T3. The 85 was well made, but I didn't care for the extra weight or fancy features like Total Control Latch, or special safety. I'd rather have the Tikkler... simpler, lighter, less expensive, and plenty accurate.

I have owned three Tikkas, and all were good shooters. I sold one, like a fool. I still have the 243 Whitetail Hunter and M695 30-06. The only thing they need out of the box is a trigger job - no glass bedding, no barrel floating. I'm thinking about another T-3 I saw in a local shop in 6.5x55 Swede. I have pre-64 Model 70s, Model 7s, Model 700s, FN Mausers,and Savages, but for a great shooting rifle out of the box my vote is Tikka. I forgot Sakos. I have had Sakos which were stinkers.
Originally Posted by geedubya

[Linked Image]

JAPPFT,

GWB

I'd have to keep them trashy things out in the shed... wink
Originally Posted by Dre
What's that big whoop ?

I have owned a fair number of rifles from various manufactures and am also a trained M24 sniper system armorer, as well as M110 SASS armorer. That said, it has been my observation and experience that the bone stock Tikkas are exceedingly accurate, and boringly reliable. On average they are substantially more accurate than most the Remingtons I have dealt with.

Here is a pic of one of my .308 Tikkas with hunting (versus match) bullets.

[Linked Image]

The odds of getting a bone stock Remington of recent manufacture to shoot into the .1s is exceedingly low.

I have yet to have a stock barreled T3 that I cannot get to shoot into the .5s or better.

Grab a T3 in the cartridge of your choice, buy a great piece of glass.Mount the glass into some Talley lightweights, add a good sling and never look back.

Personally when I envisioned my ideal all-around, general purpose rifle, I knew starting with a T3 would be a no brainer.

I had the .308 lite stainless T3 trimmed back to 20"s, added a light and compact 2-10x Nightforce, in Talleys and added a VTAC 2 point sling.

The thing shoots 165 grain HPBT Game Kings into tiny little clusters, in spite of the very light weight of the rifle package. It also absolutely LOVES 155 grain Lapua Scenars too.

I could not ask for a better all around lightweight, general purpose gun. From ground squirrels, to coyotes, to mule deer and elk, it has proven to be a deadly little package that is a true joy to carry.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BTW, though some bitch about the composite mags, I find them to be lightweight and dead nuts reliable, much like a Glock magazine. I usually carry one 5 rounder in the gun, and a spare 3 round or 5 round mag in my pack.

The 20" Tikka .308 would be the very last hunting rifle I would ever part with.
Mac, great groups there.. May have to check one of t these out.. Last thing I need is another rifle....
Mackay Senior is an elk killing machine with his stock Tikka too.

[Linked Image]

The kiddo is also a fan. Here she is with her first deer from last fall. Though this gun is not stock. Lilja barrelled T3 in 6mm Remington.

She made a perfect 197 yard shot on a doe on opening morning.

[Linked Image]

She was ringing steel out a fair ways with it the week prior to the hunt, so just under 200 yards was a chip shot.

She does not know it yet, but she is getting a T3 .308 for her birthday next month. Barrel will be trimmed to 20"s, then braked, so recoil should be negligible for her scrawny frame.

I already have a cut down wood stock for her (bought here on the fire) that has been being used on the 6mm Remington. With a good piece of glass, it will be all the rifle she will likely ever need for hunting in the west.

Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Mac, great groups there.. May have to check one of t these out.. Last thing I need is another rifle....

Thanks,

I will not say I could do that on average, (planets may have been aligned just right) but there is no question it will shoot tiny groups and exceed my capabilities. Makes me look like a better shooter then I really am.
I used to have a heavy barreled .223 Tikka Varmint. But I sold it when I discovered that my 8 twist T3 Lite barreled .223 was just as accurate. Awesome shooting little gun.

Fellow Campfire member RJM now has it, as we did some horse trading. The only reason I traded out of it was due to almost always grabbing an AR for song dogs. It just wasn't getting shot like it should.

Coyotes hated it though. I had a crazy long string of 1 shot kills with that little thing.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Some tight groups! Thanks for posting
I just got my teenage daughter a T3 in 223 (1:10) that will be passed down to the little ones when they get bigger.
Haven't shot it yet, so we shall see. but I thought about trimming off 2" to make it a 20"

Love those tikka rifles
That Tikka that is being built to the Canadian Ranger's specs looks like an extremely nice rifle.

If they ever offered those in the states, I would bet they would sell a boatload of them. Basically similar to a Ruger Scout rifle, but with a sub MOA accuracy guarantee, a the smoothness typical of Tikka rifles.

Mac,

What's the reason for the different colored Magazine bottoms (blue vs. red).

Jerry
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
Mac,

Jerry

I'll bet it is just where they came from. Cheaper than dirt had some pretty cheap a while back that had the red bottoms.
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
That Tikka that is being built to the Canadian Ranger's specs looks like an extremely nice rifle.

If they ever offered those in the states, I would bet they would sell a boatload of them. Basically similar to a Ruger Scout rifle, but with a sub MOA accuracy guarantee, a the smoothness typical of Tikka rifles.

They look like a Tikka Stainless CTR with iron sights and a Ruger Gunsite Rifle Stock to me.

Jerry
Sako Roughtech 300 win mag. Tahr hunting in New Zealand's Southern Alps. Doesn't get much more 'Back Country' than that!

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
Mac,

Jerry

DW is right, though I did not get them from CTD. I picked them up from a seller on Gunbroker, whom I had purchased a .300 Win at the time. Now though, it is easy to separate/differentiate 6mm loads from .308 loads when taking both rifles.

Speaking of Tikkas, I picked up an old Tikka LSA 65 in 30-06 a while back, and it too is a great shooting rifle, with a nice old piece of walnut on it. It too loves 155 grain Scenars.
Very nice Mac....great pics and great shooting. Oh....and thanks for your service!
© 24hourcampfire