Home
Posted By: Dirtfarmer 257 Roberts project - 07/17/15
Latest project. I traded my .220S #1 for a .257R barreled action and an early Ti stock. The CDL action had a Callahan firing pin and aluminum bolt shroud, replacing the factory J lock assembly. The OEM trigger was replaced with a very fine Walker trigger, tweaked to a very clean 3#'s. The barrel is a 24" #3 Brux.

I wasn't sure about converting an ADL fiberglass stock to BDL, could have converted the gun to ADL, but like BDL better. I was referred to ingwe who had done a few. After discussing it with him, I proceeded with the conversion. I glassed top and bottom metal. The Ti is pillared with an extension to the recoil lug, a nice touch.

I picked up a 4200 2.5-10x40 on the Fire Classifieds. With the thick, high Ti comb, I needed high rings. I wanted to use Talley LW's, but needed more offset and in the Brownell's catalog, they're only offered in Med for the 700. So, I modified Warne and Weaver bases I had on hand to accommodate Burris Zee high rings. Sort of a hodge podge of stuff, but it came together OK. I'm not a Burris fan, but these rings, although steel and not light, are trim and did what they needed to do.

The LA is a bit much for the Roberts, but if I shoot 115 VLD's touching, the COAL is 3.025" and this isn't one of those 3", long throated Roberts chambers. Even with the std. chamber, a 3" round needs more than a SA box mag to work. Fortunately, even the shortest rounds dropped in this mag will feed smoothly.

The barrel was fitted by Ron Lampert, Guthrie, MN. Ron is no longer able to work due to a stroke, but was a master metalsmith. He did work for Jim Carmichael, who referred to him as "one of the countries top metal specialsits". Ron shortened a Mauser action, welding the ends such that the weld couldn't be seen. That gun became Jim's 250 Savage. He took the pieces, cut another Mauser and extended it to magnum length. That one became Jim's .375 H&H. "Very cute indeed", Jim wrote in his book, "The Modern Rifle".

I haven't shot it, but will report. I had thought about painting the stock black, but this early Ti pattern has grown on me. I sorta like it.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/17/15
Here's the bottom metal. That little abrasion near the front action screw was already there. It would have been covered if I'd have gone with black paint. I don't think it's gonna hurt anything.

DF

[Linked Image]
Posted By: southtexas Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/17/15
Very nice! Let us know how she works!
I will.

It's gotta shoot... smile

A pristine Brux (perfect thru the Hawkeye), chambered and fitted by Ron Lampert, pillared, glassed, freefloated and torqued... cool

I'd be amazed if it wasn't a champ. But, the range is where the rubber meets the road... wink

DF
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/17/15
Ought to be a tack driver. What's she weigh?
Posted By: 1Nut Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/17/15
Pretty nice shootin' iron. Can't get much better for a all-round medium game whacker.
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Ought to be a tack driver. What's she weigh?

Came in at a hair over 7 pounds.

With a scope that weighs a pound plus heavy rings/bases, she tips the scales at 8 pounds, 6 oz.

With lighter scope/rings/bases, could probably get that down to around 8 pounds.

DF
Forgot to add, it balances at the front action screw and feels lighter than the scale indicates.

DF
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/18/15
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Forgot to add, it balances at the front action screw and feels lighter than the scale indicates.

DF

Sweeeet!
Posted By: efw Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/18/15
I likey; nice build.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/18/15
Here's the photo that disappeared. I had duplicated it on Photobucket and deleted one, I guess the wrong one. Too late to edit the OP, so here it is.

DF

[Linked Image]
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/18/15
That's nice DF.....

For a Remington! smile
Posted By: mathman Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/18/15
You and I must hold them differently. I have rifles with straight combs meatier than that and I still like low rings.

Gotta go with what seems natural. The Elite has a shorter ER than some and that makes me need the scope mounted even further back.

Low, or even Med. rings would make a neater looking unit, IMO.

When I shoulder it, I'm looking at a full field view. Moving the scope forward, I can't see to the edges. So, this combo seems to work.

DF

Originally Posted by elkhunternm
That's nice DF.....

For a Remington! smile

laugh

Slumming... blush

Trying to assimilate with the "unwashed masses"...

DF
laugh

Have you shot it yet?
Posted By: mathman Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/18/15
My typical Vari-X or VX III/3 set up has the power adjustment ring over the root of the bolt handle.
laugh

Have you shot it yet?

Not yet.

Just got it bedded and put together this week.

I'm looking at 115 VLD for chest shooting WT's. Of course I need to see what it likes. I also have 117 SST's, 115 NBT's, 100 NPT's and 115 NPT's to try. There has to be some good WT loads with one or more of those.

DF
Yup,you should find one good load for Wt out those bullet choices. grin

Personally,I would use a 100 gr bullet,like a Hornady,Sierra or Nosler,just mudding up the waters even more. wink

Originally Posted by mathman
My typical Vari-X or VX III/3 set up has the power adjustment ring over the root of the bolt handle.

Leupolds have longer ER than Elites.

I got a good deal on this one here on the Fire. I like Elite glass and appreciate the 2.5X low power setting plus 10X for load development at the range. I don't use Elites on big kickers, I go Leupold, Swaro or Zeiss with those.

DF

Personally,I would use a 100 gr bullet,like a Hornady,Sierra or Nosler,just mudding up the waters even more. wink

I can't afford more than 5 choices... grin

DF
Have a .25/06 and gonna use Nosler 100 gr Ballistic Tip or a Sierra 100 gr Pro Hunter.

Two choices,now for powder there's,H-4831,H-1000,IMR/H-4350,RL-22,IMR-7828. wink
Here's a pic of the .25/06 with a 22" barrel. Got rid of the scope and high rings and gonna put a Zeiss 3x-9x42mm or 50mm on.

IIRC paid $275 as it is in the pic.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
grin

I see you "engineered" Burris rings/Weaver bases pretty much like I did, or maybe it was the guy you bought it from.

With that comb, you could probably go with lower rings.

Nice gun.

DF
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/19/15
grin

I see you "engineered" Burris rings/Weaver bases pretty much like I did, or maybe it was the guy you bought it from.

With that comb, you could probably go with lower rings.

Nice gun.

DF
Person who owned it before I did.

Yup,went with lower rings.
elk, Sierra Bullets told me the top powder for the .25/06 was I4831.. I shoot 100 grain Sierra's in mine.. Very accurate, I 4831 shoots fastest, then Re 22, and finally I4350.. All are very accurate.. I think I4350 has been consistently accurate for me in the diff. 25/06's I have used.. Nice rifle.. Great coyote gun..
IMR-4831 is a powder not in my reloading room. laugh Those listed are.

Going to try IMR-4350 in it with the NBT and buy a box of the Sierra 100 gr to try later.

The whole reason for me buying the .25/06 was to re-barrel to something else,but,it screams out to use as is for coyotes and maybe antelope.
I believe 52-53 grains always worked well for me with 100's.. The Sierra 100 gr. flat base has always been super accurate for me.. Also the BTBT, but my current .25-06 doesn't like them.. In my gun I 4350 was very accurate and about 3350fps.. The 4831 load was 50 Fps faster and the Re22 in the middle.. A guy could use any of them and never tell a bit of difference.. The .25/06 is one of my three favorite calibers.. Great coyote rifle..
Thanks for the info WCH.

Had a .25/06 way back in 1992-97 and used it on coyotes and antelope. IMO the .25/06 is perfect for antelope. Used a 117 gr Hornady BTSP on antelope and coyotes.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/20/15

I've read that 100 gr. may be the optimal bullet wt. for the Roberts, often shooting the best groups. We'll have to see about that. I could live with 100 gr. and don't think WT's will be able to tell a difference.

DF
Posted By: mathman Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/20/15
The 100 grain flat base Interlock is a real quick deer killer out of my friend's 257 Weatherby. He hasn't recovered one yet, but he shoots them in the front half.
Posted By: southtexas Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/20/15
Good luck in finding any!
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/20/15
The .25's were very well represented in this SC deer kill study.

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/deer/articlegad.html

DF
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/22/15
The 100 grain flat base Interlock is a real quick deer killer out of my friend's 257 Weatherby. He hasn't recovered one yet, but he shoots them in the front half.

That beats the back half... blush

Speaking of azz shooting dinks, what ever happened to Swampman700?

I was wondering if the Yankees may have captured him in his latest Civil War re-enactment skirmish... grin

DF

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SuperCub Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/22/15
I had a 270Win Mountain Rifle re-tubed in 257Roberts. I don't mind the extra action length. Has become fave rifle in the lot and I suspect the OP will like his as well.

As seen in orig stock but later a TI take-off was added.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

100gr Hornadys is all I use in it. Have about 400pcs on hand, so set for a while.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I copied that load to add to my Roberts folder.

Thanks,

DF
Posted By: bea175 Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/22/15
My Sako in 257 Ack groups 1/2 or better depending on my shooting on a given day with IMR 4831 and the Nosler 100 gr Partition , never tried another load in it, because it shot so well with this first load i tried.
I've heard the rumor that 100's may be the best choice for the Roberts. I have the 100 NPT plus some heavier bullets to try as noted earlier. We'll see how they shake out.

DF
Posted By: ingwe Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/22/15
DF I'll echo what others have said. Ingwewife shoots a Bob and we have had splendid luck with both the 100 gr Flat base Hornady and the 100 Gr NPT....
She has killed big whitetail, big mule deer, and cow elk with these loads.
( See dead mule deer pic...)

[Linked Image]
Looks like they work, for sure.

Well, I got these other bullets, so I gotta give them a try. I'll clock speeds and report groups.

I just traded for a VX-2 3-9x40. It fits my Roberts very well, has about as long a tube as the 4200 2.5-10x40, a longer ER and is several ounces lighter. I may use it on this gun.

VX-2 glass quality surprised me when I mounted one on a bud's .300 WM. It's about as good as the 4200 and pretty close to the VX-3.

DF

ingwe wife's buck is a dandy, and taken with an old 722!!

Excellent!1
Yep.

I saw that. Looks like she knows how to use it.

I've been playing with the VX-2 3-9x40. I think I can mount it in Med. LW Talley ext rings. That puts the scope .5" above the front ring. With a solid cheek weld I think it'll work. Talley LW's weigh 2.1 oz., the VX-2 weighs 11.2 oz., together, 13.3 oz. Set up like that, this gun should be in the upper 7# range, should look and handle even better.

I'll post updated photos when I get it put together.

DF
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/22/15
Have you shot it yet?
Have you shot it yet?

Not yet.

Still playing with scopes and rings. I've tried various heigths of rings, using what I have. Right now, I like the scope .600" off the front ring, which is taller than Talley LW Med. May go Talley LW ext. High rings, which will be lower than the Zee high rings and a bunch lighter.

I'm going with the VX-2.

So, gotta resolve the scope issue, load ammo, then get to the back 40 and targets.

DF
Hells Bells DF,I would've had about 20+ rounds down the barrel by now. wink

laugh

I turned 70 last Monday.

I don't do anything fast anymore... grin

Still moving around OK for an old Fart... cool

Too many other projects on going. I'll get to it before long.

DF

laugh

I turned 70 last Monday.

I don't do anything fast anymore... grin

Still moving around OK for an old Fart... cool

Too many other projects on going. I'll get to it before long.

DF
Well then,take your time. smile
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/22/15
The .25's were very well represented in this SC deer kill study.

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/deer/articlegad.html

DF

Wow nice study.......I always found 25 cal just about perfect for deer....never could really explain it. It just kills that particular size animal very well.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/23/15
Actually, even though deer hit with the .25's walked a shorter distance than deer hit with any other caliber, there isn't a statistical basis to say .25's are better WT rounds than all others. The sample (cohort) is too small and the difference too subtle for statistical relevance.

But, it does look good to a quarter bore fan... grin

DF
Posted By: Redneck Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/23/15

laugh

I turned 70 last Monday.

Sorry I'm late - but happy birthday anyway.. smile smile
grin

Thanks.

The secret is to keep on having birthdays... cool

DF
Happy birthday, and many more...
Posted By: mmgravy Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/23/15
For sure!!!

Happy Birthday by the way....
Originally Posted by mmgravy
For sure!!!

Happy Birthday by the way....

Thanks, and thanks again for you help with this project.

DF
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/24/15
Actually, even though deer hit with the .25's walked a shorter distance than deer hit with any other caliber, there isn't a statistical basis to say .25's are better WT rounds than all others. The sample (cohort) is too small and the difference too subtle for statistical relevance.

But, it does look good to a quarter bore fan... grin

DF

It is interesting that you mention that. I have a bone stock factory Ruger 77 Ultralight in 257 Roberts that seems to shut their lights out more quickly than everything else I have used. That 115 Partition moving at modest velocities gets it done for sure. I have have had quite a few shots where they didn't move after I hit them.
This is interesting report on the 257.. Over the years, the 25 calibers have given me MORE instances of game being well hit and walking or running off some distance.. All of them from the .250 sav. though the 257 Wea. Experiences differ..
Posted By: ingwe Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/24/15
DF: you are gonna like that VX2...I think they are far and away the bang for the buck.

Belated happy birthday!

And its great to know someone here is older than me! grin
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/24/15
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
This is interesting report on the 257.. Over the years, the 25 calibers have given me MORE instances of game being well hit and walking or running off some distance.. All of them from the .250 sav. though the 257 Wea. Experiences differ..

FWIW all but one of mine were with the Partition. I always try to involve at least one shoulder in the shot. What bullets did you use?
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/24/15
Originally Posted by ingwe
DF: you are gonna like that VX2...I think they are far and away the bang for the buck.

Belated happy birthday!

And its great to know someone here is older than me! grin
Didn't know that was possible. wink

And another belated happy birthday wish to you DF.
Paul, Speer, Sierra, Nosler BTBT, some Partitions.. Shooting though the animal was not an issue.. I didn't always try for a shoulder shot.. Mostly lung shots at that time.. They were very successful with other calibers, just not the .25.. Maybe I had a run of bad luck..

I really like my .25-06.. It is one of my 3 favorite calibers... But always in the back of my head is that memory of less than stellar performance from my .25 calibers..
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/24/15
I just weighed the Roberts without scope.

7 pounds, 1 ounce.

With 2.1 oz LW Talleys and an 11.2 oz VX-2 3-9x40, it's gonna top out at 7 pounds, 14 oz. That's a heap better than what I started with.

Besides, that set up looked too much like elk's latest find. If he ditched those Burris high Zee rings, I can too.

I'll post photos of the latest version when I get it put together. May even do before and after, side by side photos.

DF
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/27/15
Just mounted the VX-2 3-9x40 in Med LW Talley ext. rings on the Roberts. I was concerned that the .500" rise off the front ring wasn't going to be enough. It is and feels right.

Looks better, too.

Before and after.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Before and after.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I like the 4200, but it's almost 5 oz heavier. The LW Talley's are several ounces lighter than the steel Zee rings. The VX-2 glass is about as good and I can mount it farther forward due to longer ER. You can see the difference comparing the first two photos. The VX-2 power ring is almost over the bolt, the 4200 power ring is well behind the bolt. The gun even feels lighter.

DF
Posted By: 257heaven Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/27/15
I like the transformation. Nikon scopes are nice, but heavy. The VX2 3-9 is perfect for that rifle.

Now go shoot it!
So busy messing with it, I haven't loaded any ammo.

I have another project ongoing. It's a Mohawk with a new 22" #2 CM 8 twist .22-250 Shilen. Just glassed it and am waiting for a Timney trigger to arrive.

Gotta load some for it, too.

So, it's slowly getting there.

DF
Originally Posted by 257heaven
I like the transformation. Nikon scopes are nice, but heavy. The VX2 3-9 is perfect for that rifle.

Now go shoot it!

Actually the first scope is a Bushnell 4200 2.5-10x40. I like 4200's better than Nikon. And, you're right. Nikons, like Bushnells, can be fairly heavy compared to Leupold of similar power range and objective size.

DF
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/27/15
Focus DF,focus one project at a time. wink
Posted By: 257heaven Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/27/15
Originally Posted by 257heaven

Now go shoot it!

Actually the first scope is a Bushnell 4200 2.5-10x40. I like 4200's better than Nikon. And, you're right. Nikons, like Bushnells, can be fairly heavy compared to Leupold of similar power range and objective size.

DF

I had a brain fart! Yea.....I knew it was a Bushnell. I put them in the same camp......weightwise.

Let us know how it shoots. I load 100 TTSX's to factory COL for all my Roberts rifles. They all seem to shoot just fine.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/28/15
What load do you use with the 100 TTSX?

DF

laugh

Now, that's asking a lot... shocked

DF
Posted By: mmgravy Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/28/15
Looking good.....
Originally Posted by mmgravy
Looking good.....

Thanks again for your help with this project.

DF
Posted By: Shodd Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/28/15
Just mounted the VX-2 3-9x40 in Med LW Talley ext. rings on the Roberts. I was concerned that the .500" rise off the front ring wasn't going to be enough. It is and feels right.

Looks better, too.

Before and after.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Before and after.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I like the 4200, but it's almost 5 oz heavier. The LW Talley's are several ounces lighter than the steel Zee rings. The VX-2 glass is about as good and I can mount it farther forward due to longer ER. You can see the difference comparing the first two photos. The VX-2 power ring is almost over the bolt, the 4200 power ring is well behind the bolt. The gun even feels lighter.

DF

Nice rifle dirtfarmer, should be a shooter.

Not sure but is the rear Talley on backwards?

Shod
Posted By: mathman Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/28/15
Nope, DF just hangs his scope back aways, Ingwe style. grin
Originally Posted by Shodd

Looks better, too.

Before and after.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Before and after.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

DF

Nice rifle dirtfarmer, should be a shooter.

Not sure but is the rear Talley on backwards?

Shod

Nope.

Holes line up for that position, wouldn't work turned around.

DF
Nope, DF just hangs his scope back aways, Ingwe style. grin

laugh

Being compared to the Poobah...

Wow!

What a deal... grin

DF
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/28/15

laugh

Now, that's asking a lot... shocked

DF
Yeah,should take my own advice.

This weekend going to sight in a 7x57 that had a scope change,.375 H&H to confirm a 300 gr load,.25/06 that is itching to be shot. wink
I've changed several scopes and now have a number of guns that need sighting in.

But what would Loonies be doing otherwise...?

DF

Posted By: elkhunternm Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/28/15
Buying,selling and trading firearms to keep busy. wink
Posted By: SuperCub Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/29/15
I've changed several scopes and now have a number of guns that need sighting in.

But what would Loonies be doing otherwise...?

DF

Kinda like musical chairs with scopes ..... where it stops, nobody knows. smile

That happens here as well.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 257 Roberts project - 08/08/15
The .257R ended up with a 3-9x40 Conquest, the VX-2 3-9x40 is on a Springfield I built as a teenager. Seemed to be good matches, both. It would take a Loony to understand such stuff.

I had a range session this AM with the Roberts. The best load so far is 117 gr. SST ahead of 45 gr. H-414, shooting .86" at a hundred. I have more combos to try, but that one would be a good WT load.

The Butler Creek objective cover kept falling off the Conquest. So I put it on the VX-2 and it fits pretty tight. I have the missing lens covers ordered.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: 257 Roberts project - 08/08/15
That Zeiss looks great on that rifle.

Good shootin' with it DF. Keep us updated.
Thanks, Elk.

The old Springfield perked up with that VX-2...

It has a '60's vintage SS McGowen barrel, in .277", chambered for that unmentionable round. Yeah, I was quite young back then... blush

DF

Have a Springfield in .30/06 and it has a Weaver 2.5x scope. Son-of-a-gun shoots the 220 gr Hornady Round Nose pretty darn well.
A pic of it when I got it.

[Linked Image]

Someone had done some pretty nice work on that one...

Those are tough old guns.

DF
Yup.

On the barrel it has 8-38. That rifle is older than me and probably went through the war. The stories it could tell.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 257 Roberts project - 08/09/15
Very nice set-up DF, I'd have to load this one for meat instead of paper, my Roberts is a Montana, with it's whippy short 22" barrel three 100 gr TTSX's will routinely run closely on either side of an inch, some may scoff at that accuracy level, not me, the hardest part for me is shooting a rifle that feels like a kids bb gun, very hard for me to shoot the flyweights accurately.

I use Hodgdons Hybrid 100-V for 3265 fps, hit a heavy bodied big 9 pt wt at 202 yards last year, straight through both shoulders, DRT, a fantastic little killer it is.

I'd seat these out long for the mag in your rifle to start col's about 50 thou off and see what she likes.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 257 Roberts project - 08/09/15
Thanks, gunner.

This gun isn't heavy but has some mass. It handles great and feels good offhand. With the Conquest it's a hair over 8 pounds all up.

Will give those TTSX's a whirl.

I have a can of Hybrid 100-V, just haven't used it much.

DF
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 257 Roberts project - 08/11/15
Thanks, gunner.

This gun isn't heavy but has some mass. It handles great and feels good offhand. With the Conquest it's a hair over 8 pounds all up.

Will give those TTSX's a whirl.

I have a can of Hybrid 100-V, just haven't used it much.

DF

Sounds about like the perfect hunting rig DF, I hope you can squeeze some good hunting accuracy out of that combo, Would be hard to catch one of the little buzzsaws with a deer or pig. grin
Posted By: local_dirt Re: 257 Roberts project - 08/11/15

The Elite has a shorter ER than some

DF

That is one of the very few downsides to a 4200 Elite.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 257 Roberts project - 08/16/15
I've been shooting the .257R. I had read that the Roberts often performs best with 100 gr. bullets. I tried the 100 gr NPT and it shot OK, around an inch or better. The 117 SST and 115 NPT were pretty good.

The winner was the 115 NBT. With .02" jump and at around 2,900 fps, two loads were stand outs:

115 NBT, 44 gr. H-4350, three shot group, .357"
115 NBT, 45 gr. H-414, three into .68".

I'm going to try more of the H-4350 load, clock it with 5 shot groups.

I like this gun. It will bust some WT's this Fall, maybe an unlucky hog or two.

DF
I plan on ordering some 100 TTSX's when I can find them and checking out gunner's Hybrid 100V load. That one does sound interesting.

DF

Ed. for spelling.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: 257 Roberts project - 08/16/15
I've been shooting the .257R. I had read that the Roberts often performs best with 100 gr. bullets. I tried the 100 gr NPT and it shot OK, around an inch or better. The 117 SST and 115 NPT were pretty good.

The winner was the 115 NBT. With .02" jump and at around 2,900 fps, two loads were stand outs:

DF
That'll work. smile

DF
That'll work. smile

We gonna find out... whistle

DF
grin
Found .257 cal. 100 gr. TTSX's at Cabelas. Will try gunner's Hybrid 100V load.

Also ordered a box of 168 gr. TTSX's for my .300 WM. A good bud uses them in his .30-378 and his son's .300 RUM. They swear by them. My Win Mag won't push them quite as fast, but should be a good load.

DF
A handloader looney's work is never done.
A handloader looney's work is never done.

Absolutely... grin

Someone drops an idea, posts a new load, and it's off to the races... smile

DF
Yup,sick bastids! smile
Maybe we can say it's genetic and blame our gene pool (parents)... smile

Or we can say it had something to do with our upbringing (parents).

There may be an ICD-10 code covering it, those new codes are about that goofy... frown

DF

Well,lets petition the government and get a $1,000,000 grant and study to see how it happens.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: 257 Roberts project - 08/17/15

DF

Those 4350 loads are quite a bit stouter than what Nosler calls max. How did you arrive at that charge?
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 257 Roberts project - 08/17/15
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

DF

Those 4350 loads are quite a bit stouter than what Nosler calls max. How did you arrive at that charge?

I'll get you the specific source when I get home after work.

Generally, I've read articles and studied data. One article showed groups shrinking as loads were increased to +P levels and that seems to be the case here. As you know, most published .257R data is moderate pressure. With a strong action, +P loads are safe and accurate. I have no problems exceeding 45K psi with good brass and "three rings of steel"... grin

It seems to work, brass showing no sign of excessive pressure.

DF
I saw your load recommended by another member of the Campfire. My load has been 40.1 grains of 4350. It turns their lights out quick. It penetrates well too. I used Nosler data. I know it has become more conservative over the years. I don't have a chrono, so I wonder what my velocity is out of a 20" barrel.
A good chrono is kinda like a Hawkeye bore scope. Once you have one, you don't want to not have one... wink

DF
I saw your load recommended by another member of the Campfire. My load has been 40.1 grains of 4350. It turns their lights out quick. It penetrates well too. I used Nosler data. I know it has become more conservative over the years. I don't have a chrono, so I wonder what my velocity is out of a 20" barrel.

Paul,

I checked my notes. That load was mentioned in previous posts and represents an accumulation of articles and data.

The concept that +P loads group tighter than std. loads, almost across the board, came from work by R. H. VanDenburg, Jr. In JB's fine New Zealand article, field testing VLD's, .257R/115 VLD's were tested at 2,900 fps, which is in same ball park with this load.

In another article, JB published a load of 45 gr. H-4350 with the 115 NPT. That same load was given to me by the previous owner who said it worked well for him in this gun. It does, just not as well as the 115 NBT load.

I've seen it written that because the .257R was the parent round of the 6mm Rem, it should be able to operate at similar pressure limits in a strong gun. And, of course that would be .257R +P.

I'm going to see what IMR-4451 will do with this bullet, as it's pretty close to the 4350's and I have a can.

DF
A good chrono is kinda like a Hawkeye bore scope. Once you have one, you don't want to not have one... wink

DF

On bolt guns I have become very good at boresighting by the removing the bolt method. It's become a point of pride. But I absolutely get your point. A chrono is in my future even though I am very "recreational" in my handloading pursuits.

Paul,

I checked my notes. That load was mentioned in previous posts and represents an accumulation of articles and data.

The concept that +P loads group tighter than std. loads, almost across the board, came from work by R. H. VanDenburg, Jr. In JB's fine New Zealand article, field testing VLD's, .257R/115 VLD's were tested at 2,900 fps, which is in same ball park with this load.

In another article, JB published a load of 45 gr. H-4350 with the 115 NPT. That same load was given to me by the previous owner who said it worked well for him in this gun. It does, just not as well as the 115 NBT load.

I've seen it written that because the .257R was the parent round of the 6mm Rem, it should be able to operate at similar pressure limits in a strong gun. And, of course that would be .257R +P.

I'm going to see what IMR-4451 will do with this bullet, as it's pretty close to the 4350's and I have a can.

DF

Thanks for the info. I'd really like to know what speed my loads are running. I almost hate to change as this load has been so lights out for me and others I have loaded for. It's accurate enough for the maximum hunting ranges in which I use it. My new Creedmoor will handle any longer range work I may get into.
40.1 gr. H-4350 with a 115 gr. bullet should be running around 2,650 fps out of a 20" bbl, based on Load Data info.

I'm a good bore sighter, too. Can just about put one on the paper at 100 yds.

The Hawkeye borescope lets you look at the bore with a 90* mirror, seeing exactly what the rifling looks like, if there's throat erosion, if there's carbon build up or fouling, if there's pitting, etc.

DF
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: 257 Roberts project - 08/18/15
40.1 gr. H-4350 with a 115 gr. bullet should be running around 2,650 fps out of a 20" bbl, based on Load Data info.

The Hawkeye borescope lets you look at the bore with a 90* mirror, seeing exactly what the rifling looks like, if there's throat erosion, if there's carbon build up or fouling, if there's pitting, etc.

DF

That's about the velocity I was expecting.
Posted By: Redneck Re: 257 Roberts project - 08/18/15

DF
And it's about 1/10th the price..

I won't work up loads w/o a chrono - period.. smile
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 257 Roberts project - 08/18/15

DF

That's about the velocity I was expecting.

Thats actually about the velocity I have seen with old Remington 117 gr factory round nose bullets. The Roberts can be heated up quite a bit over those velocities with todays powders....actually anything from IMR 4831, RL22,and others will do it as well.

Most all of mine have had 22" barrels but there has been a 24" or two tossed in along the way as well.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: 257 Roberts project - 08/18/15
The best published velocities I have seen for 115-120 Roberts loads is with Ramshot Big Game and Hunter. They label them +P loads. 2900 FPS out of a 24" barrel. I'd expect 2750-2800 out of mine.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 257 Roberts project - 08/18/15
Found .257 cal. 100 gr. TTSX's at Cabelas. Will try gunner's Hybrid 100V load.

Also ordered a box of 168 gr. TTSX's for my .300 WM. A good bud uses them in his .30-378 and his son's .300 RUM. They swear by them. My Win Mag won't push them quite as fast, but should be a good load.

DF

Hope it works for you DF, a sample of only three deer, one with the big 9pt mentioned earlier in the Roberts at 3265, and two other deer in my 25-06 AI with the little buzzsaw leaving the muzzle at 3550, that bullet does have a definite attitude on deer at those speeds inside 200 yards so far. smile

I wouldn't hesitate 400 with a good field rest.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 257 Roberts project - 08/19/15
I have 50 Nosler +P cases on order. Not cheap!

In a strong action, I don't see a problem running +P loads with std. brass. I want to weigh these +P cases and std. cases.

On another note, I've been using a Lee FL sizer, producing rounds with too much runout. I was able to straighten them somewhat with the Tru Tool and a Sinclair concentricity gauge.

I have a Lee Collet sizer on order. I'm thinking about taking that sorry Lee FL die, grinding out the neck, removing the decapping stem, turning it into a shoulder set back die. It should be able to do that if I can get the neck ground large enough to clear the case neck.

Will report. That would be cheaper than buying a Redding Body Die. When using a neck sizing die, you need a body die to occasionally set the shoulder back for easy bolt closure.

The Lee Collet neck sizer produces some of the most concentric ammo I've ever loaded, and I do have some fancy comp type dies.

DF
Posted By: mathman Re: 257 Roberts project - 08/19/15
I have 50 Nosler +P cases on order. Not cheap!

In a strong action, I don't see a problem running +P loads with std. brass. I want to weigh these +P cases and std. cases.

On another note, I've been using a Lee FL sizer, producing rounds with too much runout. I was able to straighten them somewhat with the Tru Tool and a Sinclair concentricity gauge.

I have a Lee Collet sizer on order. I'm thinking about taking that sorry Lee FL die, grinding out the neck, removing the decapping stem, turning it into a shoulder set back die. It should be able to do that if I can get the neck ground large enough to clear the case neck.

Will report. That would be cheaper than buying a Redding Body Die. When using a neck sizing die, you need a body die to occasionally set the shoulder back for easy bolt closure.

The Lee Collet neck sizer produces some of the most concentric ammo I've ever loaded, and I do have some fancy comp type dies.

DF

What seater are you using?
I use the Lee seater, which has worked pretty well with other rounds.

I checked case concentricity with the Sinclair, indicator on the neck following FL sizing and they weren't that true. I think the die oversizes the case neck and the expander pulls pretty hard coming out.

I believe the Collet neck sizer will correct this situation and don't think the seater is the problem.

But, it won't take long to find out... smile

DF
I've found Lee seaters hit or miss. If they'd raise the price two bucks and make them consistently right I'd like them better.
Posted By: southtexas Re: 257 Roberts project - 08/19/15
Well,dang. I just ordered one in 257. Hope it's a "hit", not a "miss". wink
Well, the only way I could get a Collet Neck Sizer, ASAP, was to order a set. The price on Ebay was about like ordering just the die from a dealer, which probably would have been a B.O.

So, I'll now have two seaters, will check them out and use the better one. Hopefully one will be "good"... wink

DF
The seater with the collet neck sizer will not crimp. Not that I would want to crimp anyway. It's their so called dead length model. When I've gotten good ones of those I've found them useful for finish seating bullets in well compressed loads when the bullets have been started straight in a more precise die that doesn't do well with powder compression.
I don't crimp with seaters, anyway.

I have a factory crimp die if I want a crimp. Sometimes if I have light seating with mild bullet/neck tension, I may add some crimp. Good thing about the Collet die, you can cut some off the mandrel to increase bullet/neck tension.

Chuck the mandrel in a drill and cut it down with sandpaper, measuring pretty often, so you don't have to buy another one and start over... shocked

Never had to do that... cool

DF
As a follow up on the Lee FL die, I took my Dremel and with a small grinder, enlarged the die neck to clear the case neck. It's now a body die with decapping/expander stem removed.

I checked sized cases. Some are pretty concentric, some aren't. With a very tight neck and hard pulling expander, cases thinner on one side ended up crooked, those with more concentric construction remained straight. That's the only explanation I can come up with, as they were all handled exactly the same. Not much difference, Rem. vs. W/W.

I'll load the crooked ones and straighten them as much as possible with the Tru Tool. Once fired, the Collet Neck sizer should keep them concentric.

DF
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 257 Roberts project - 08/22/15
Follow up on the Roberts project.

I took gunner's advice regarding the 100 gr. TTSX. He suggested loading for meat, not paper. He said to use Hybrid 100V and run that bullet at 3,200 fps.

Well, sometimes you can have your cake and eat it, too... cool

46 gr. 3,188 fps., .70" at a hundred (three shots).
47 gr. 3,266 fps., .438".
48 gr. 3,328 fsp., 1.7" and getting warm. Bolt lift was OK, case head with some bright spots from the bolt, primer OK.

It appears that the 100 TTSX at 3,200 fps ahead of 47 gr. Hybrid 100V is a great load, super accurate. This gun has done well with the 115 NBT, but the TTSX shot the best group so far. 100 and 115 gr. NPT's and the 117 SST's were pretty good, a few stand out loads, the TTSX is the winner.

I think I can settle of gunner's load and go kill stuff.

BTW, here are photos of a high classed shooting range. Note the magnetic gun rack stuck to the Z-71. I shoot three shots with big guns, five with smaller ones, let the hot ones cool in the rack with open bolts while I shoot a cool one. I can keep five or more guns going without any getting too hot and without losing time. This morning, I started early while it was sorta cool and shot until 11:30. I shot two batches of 10 targets in the far left distance, each target with two bulls.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 257 Roberts project - 08/22/15
Hell Yes!!!!! congratulations DF, glad you gave that little buzzsaw load a chance, now all you have to do is get some hair in that scope, then look for a bullet to recover for examination.

I haven't found one yet. cry laugh
Would a Redneck shooting set up like this work in OK?

Yeah, I'm going to start the WT season with this gun and that bullet.

Thanks for the load, it works just like you said, even at the speed you quoted.

DF
Would a Redneck shooting set up like this work in OK?

Yeah, I'm going to start the WT season with this gun and that bullet.

Thanks for the load, it works just like you said, even at the speed you quoted.

DF

Of course, much cleaner and more high tech than mine. blush grin

You are most welcome, it wont let you down, cant wait to hear the hunting stories and see the pics.
I usually chest whoot WT's to save meat. Do you shoot bone with Barnes?

DF
Yessir, I'm a mid to high shoulder puncher, you'll lose a handful of fajita meat at most shooting them there with this setup.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: 257 Roberts project - 08/22/15

I took gunner's advice regarding the 100 gr. TTSX. He suggested loading for meat, not paper. He said to use Hybrid 100V and run that bullet at 3,200 fps.

48 gr. 3,328 fsp., 1.7" and getting warm. Bolt lift was OK, case head with some bright spots from the bolt, primer OK.

It appears that the 100 TTSX at 3,200 fps ahead of 47 gr. Hybrid 100V is a great load, super accurate. This gun has done well with the 115 NBT, but the TTSX shot the best group so far. 100 and 115 gr. NPT's and the 117 SST's were pretty good, a few stand out loads, the TTSX is the winner.

BTW, here are photos of a high classed shooting range. Note the magnetic gun rack stuck to the Z-71. I shoot three shots with big guns, five with smaller ones, let the hot ones cool in the rack with open bolts while I shoot a cool one. I can keep five or more guns going without any getting too hot and without losing time. This morning, I started early while it was sorta cool and shot until 11:30. I shot two batches of 10 targets in the far left distance, each target with two bulls.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The 100 and 80 Gr TTSX are my favorites in all of my 25 cal's. What COL are you loading to? Factory??

Thanks for the loads, BTW.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 257 Roberts project - 08/23/15
Longer than factory but with .050" jump. I'll check for more precise info this afternoon. With the LA 700, COAL isn't an issue.

I'm fortunate that this gun, even with the long action, is one of the slickest feeding bolt guns I own. No matter how the rounds are positioned, it feeds smooth as silk.

DF
Wrong info. I was going to jump it .050" but went with .030" becaue of the grooves. I could crimp in the second groove this way.

I know, I know, crimp's not necessary. But, it looks good... smile

And, I get to use my Factory Crimp die... cool

With this round, I used the Collet Neck sizer, then had to bump the shoulder with my improvised body die for easy bolt closure. These loads were pretty warm. At least this batch is very concentric, this is a Nosler +P case. The Lee FL die was terrible, but made a good body die... wink

Here's the target. As you see, this COAL wouldn't work in a SA box mag.

DF

[Linked Image]

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I made the comment, no telling how good this gun would shoot off the aluminum tail gate of a new F-150. But, I just realized, my magnetic gun rack won't stick to aluminum.

Guess I'll have to stay with trucks made of iron...

DF
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 257 Roberts project - 08/23/15
It probably isn't a factor in your country, but in one of my tests H100V lost more velocity in cold weather than any other powder I've tested, 186 fps from 70 to zero. Now, this was with 165-grain bullets in a .30-06, and temp-sensitivity is to a certain extent dependent on the specific application, so it might not lose as much in your .257, and as I noted it may not be a factor in your hunting.
Thanks, JB.

I had read that before. I think you wrote that powders with tightly specific performance niches tend to be more temp sensitive. I hope I said that right.

I can clock this load when it's cold, say 30*, and report any difference from 80* or so. You guys get into sub zero weather and I can appreciate the need for the least temp sensitivity possible.

The way this powder performs in the Roberts, I could put up with some of that. This is not going to be a LR gun, mostly under 250 yds. I don't think I'll have a problem.

I have other guns for extended ranges, like the 26 Nos.

DF
This is how I turned the Lee FL into a body die. I'm pleased with the result.

DF

[Linked Image]
DF,

Yep, you read that right.

I've had excellent results in the .257 at "normal" temperatures with H100V.
I need to make a correction. I posted that the 100 TTSX/46 gr. H100V load shot the tightest group. Actually that honor goes to the 115 NBT/44 gr. H-4350 load which shot three into .357". Statistically there's not enough difference with only three bullets each to declare a winner.

I guess I was excited about the performance of the TTSX running at 3,200+ fps. that I sorta forgot about the other load.

I haven't clocked the 115 NBT load, but it should be in the 2,900+ range out of the 24" Brux. It should also be a good WT/hog load. Next time I go to the range, I'll clock it and report. Fair is fair... grin

DF
Believe me, the 115 at 2900+ kills very well.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: 257 Roberts project - 08/23/15
Ya'll are reminding me I have a .257 Kimber that needs blooding.

I have one lb of Hybrid 100v, plus a few bullets I used last year developing a load for Dad's old .25-06. Real interested in trying some Big Game in the Bob.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: 257 Roberts project - 08/24/15
I predict you'll like it. It is a solid little killer.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 257 Roberts project - 08/24/15
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Ya'll are reminding me I have a .257 Kimber that needs blooding.

I have one lb of Hybrid 100v, plus a few bullets I used last year developing a load for Dad's old .25-06. Real interested in trying some Big Game in the Bob.

IIRC, Big Game, as well as TAC, are more temp resistant than Hunter or Magnum.

I tried some Big Game loads and they shot well, just not as fast as H100V.

DF
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: 257 Roberts project - 08/24/15
Originally Posted by gunner500
Yessir, I'm a mid to high shoulder puncher, you'll lose a handful of fajita meat at most shooting them there with this setup.

Me too. I most often hunt impenetrably thick woods in fading light. Warm weather at that. I don't want the animal doing a 40 yard death dash. It can mean a lost deer. I try to involve one or both shoulders. It tends to anchor them.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: 257 Roberts project - 08/24/15

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Just because some pics need to be quoted. Love that set up.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 257 Roberts project - 08/24/15
Thanks, Paul.

Check out that stool. It's a "drum throne" by Gibraltar, the drum manufacturer. Those things cost around a hundred bucks, are bull stout and just about indestructible. To me, they're perfect for bench shooting, even tailgate shooting... grin

BTW, I have a great shooting bench. This set up is easier, faster to set up and I'm basically lazy... cool

DF
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 257 Roberts project - 08/25/15
Originally Posted by gunner500

Me too. I most often hunt impenetrably thick woods in fading light. Warm weather at that. I don't want the animal doing a 40 yard death dash. It can mean a lost deer. I try to involve one or both shoulders. It tends to anchor them.

Yessir, it "hurts" 'em. smile
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 257 Roberts project - 09/03/15

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Another bonus.

When shooting semi auto rifles, the truck bed becomes an effective case catcher, no need to attach anything to the gun.

DF
Posted By: powdr Re: 257 Roberts project - 09/04/15
Darn Dirtfarmer, I liked it better w/the Leupold on it but it's still a nice setup. I'm a long time .25cal fan. Kills all out of proportion to it's size. powdr
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 257 Roberts project - 09/07/15
Yeah, it looked better, is sleeker. But the Conquest was sitting there and it just sorta jumped on the Roberts. Then the VX-2 found a lonely Springfield in the back of the safe. They were an instant hit, so what could I say... laugh

Guess I have a soft spot for such goings on... blush

DF
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 257 Roberts project - 11/22/15
Update on latest version of tailgate benchrest. I posted this on another thread, thought it needed to be here.

It's long enough to accommodate a free standing Magnetospeed chrono.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: lazydrifter Re: 257 Roberts project - 11/22/15
Nice setup. Not legal in our state. Can't have a loaded firearm on or in a vehicle.
Originally Posted by lazydrifter
Nice setup. Not legal in our state. Can't have a loaded firearm on or in a vehicle.

Wow.

Not even in a cow pasture a mile from a public roadway?

Be a lot of our local folks in the lock up if that was the case here.

DF
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: 257 Roberts project - 11/22/15
Kill a deer with the .257 Roberts yet DF?

Just a coyote.

100 gr. TTSX ruined his day, big time.

I was so enamored with seeing what the 135 gr. .308 Raptor would do, I used it this past weekend. I chest shot a young sow to see how it would perform. I'm impressed, no complaints from the hog, either... shocked

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10719100

Too many projects.

From the South Carolina study results, I'm thinking soft C&C's in the Roberts to chest shoot WT's. Just got in some 117 Sierra Pro-Hunters and 117 MidwayUSA blems (look like Hornady) to go with my 115 NPT's and 115 NBT's.

Monometals seem to do best with bone/shoulder shots and we prefer chest shooting our meat animals. I could have head/neck/shoulder shot that hog (100 yds, half inch rifle, solid box blind rest), but wouldn't know how the Raptor performed in the chest.

Haven't tried .257 Raptors. It may be that Raptors are about as good as C&C's for chest shooting WT's. My experience with TTSX/TSX chest shots isn't the best. Raptors are kinda pricey.

SC study: http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/deer/articlegad.html

Non Loonies would know I'm overthinking all this... grin

DF
Well,dagnabit get a deer with it. wink
Well,dagnabit get a deer with it. wink

laugh

Got it... grin

You'll be the first to know... cool

DF
wink
Posted By: southtexas Re: 257 Roberts project - 11/23/15
I promise it will work.
Posted By: DaveyJ Re: 257 Roberts project - 11/23/15
I own a Winchester Model 70 Cabela's Anniversary .257 Roberts. I talked to a number ho bought the same rifle. I used to reload the cases. But every cartridge I tried shot incredibly tight groups. I use the 117 grain Hornady Superformance round mostly but Federal, Windhester, Remington, and in several different weights all were very accurate.

I will say the .257 Roberts is about the best round I know of. I knew Jack O'Connor and his experience was extraordinary, he felt the .257 Roberts was almost perfect for most hunting. Brown Bears and Cape Buffalo are never going to be on my hunting list.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 257 Roberts project - 11/23/15
Is that M-70 a LA or SA?

DF
.257 Roberts (usually referred to in this version as .257 Plus P) is considered a long action, some list the round as long action! So be advised for .257 Roberts be sure to check out the EXACT cartridge and length of action! I have never put the wrong cartridge in a rifle chamber in any other caliber. But .257 Roberts I did load in a .243 from a cartridge belt in the field! Luckily BOTH rounds I mistakenly chambered in a .243 (Winchester Model 70 Ultimate Shadow SS) jammed in the chamber and the bolt had to be next day placed on a deck, pointed in the safe direction and lightly tapped with a rubber mallet and the WRONG round safely ejected! Make SURE you carry rounds in a cartridge belt for only what you are shooting on that trip!

LONG answer but having handled many weapons under many conditions such diligence is required! AGAIN the .257 Roberts is to me one of the best rounds for light to medium game. The 7X57 Mauser was very similar.
You can read a great chapter on the .7X57 in Jack O'Connor's book
The Hunting Rifle in the chapter titled "Great Round in a Little Case" Jack sold all his reloading dies for 7X57 and felt the .257 Roberts was the best round available when he wrote the HuntinG Rifle book. He also sadly stated the .257 was going down the drain but recently quite a few manufactures produced .257 such as Winchester Model 70s in both the Featherweight and the Cabel's .257 Roberts Anniversary Featherweight Deluxe.
To Dirt Farmer:

I am a USA farmer. We have become pretty diversified in our farming operation and even have made some custom gunstocks. Our farm is listed as a tree farm. We do some truck gardening too, some beef still, but producing cherry and oak timbers and the like is an important portion of our farm revenue. Wild hogs and Coy Wolves have both taxed us in farming in several locations and has, required some hunting to control damage and both can be tough targets! .243 is the usual round for for "coyote" and wild hogs, I use .257 more for deer. I also had a .257 Weatherby Magnum but that round was better for someone going on African Safari than me as a farmer and the Weatherby rounds were mega expensive. My brother still has his .257 Weatherby, but I prefer the .257 Roberts! For years we have also been in the farm aquaculture business and it is one of the most important, although frustrating aspects of farming. Ocean farming supplies MOST of the food fish worldwide and I played a role in that industry, specially Atlantic Salmon ocean pen farming.
Posted By: greydog Re: 257 Roberts project - 11/23/15
After 38 years of gunsmithing and having always liking the 257 Roberts, I finally made one for myself. Mine is on a FN Mauser action and is throated .165 longer than standard. The barrel is a gain twist finishing at 1 in 12 at 24 inches. I contoured it to .540 at the muzzle. In a reshaped factory Marlin stock and wearing a Weaver K-4, it weighs 7 3/4 pounds.
So far, it has fired 16 100 grain Hornadys over 4350. Shoots well and will get carried for predators this winter. GD
Posted By: ScottyO Re: 257 Roberts project - 11/24/15
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DF. hope you enjoy all the good things this year will bring you...Maybee for your birthday ya all will get your favorite food...ScottyO.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 257 Roberts project - 11/24/15
Originally Posted by greydog
After 38 years of gunsmithing and having always liking the 257 Roberts, I finally made one for myself. Mine is on a FN Mauser action and is throated .165 longer than standard. The barrel is a gain twist finishing at 1 in 12 at 24 inches. I contoured it to .540 at the muzzle. In a reshaped factory Marlin stock and wearing a Weaver K-4, it weighs 7 3/4 pounds.
So far, it has fired 16 100 grain Hornadys over 4350. Shoots well and will get carried for predators this winter. GD

Sounds like an interesting set up. I have no experience with gain twist.

Try H100V vs. 4350 with the 100 gr. Horn. over a chrono. I've gotten really good accuracy with both powders, H100V is faster.

DF
Originally Posted by DaveyJ
To Dirt Farmer:

I am a USA farmer. We have become pretty diversified in our farming operation and even have made some custom gunstocks. Our farm is listed as a tree farm. We do some truck gardening too, some beef still, but producing cherry and oak timbers and the like is an important portion of our farm revenue. Wild hogs and Coy Wolves have both taxed us in farming in several locations and has, required some hunting to control damage and both can be tough targets! .243 is the usual round for for "coyote" and wild hogs, I use .257 more for deer. I also had a .257 Weatherby Magnum but that round was better for someone going on African Safari than me as a farmer and the Weatherby rounds were mega expensive. My brother still has his .257 Weatherby, but I prefer the .257 Roberts! For years we have also been in the farm aquaculture business and it is one of the most important, although frustrating aspects of farming. Ocean farming supplies MOST of the food fish worldwide and I played a role in that industry, specially Atlantic Salmon ocean pen farming.

Man, you are diversified. I do love seeing ag. operations and would enjoy visiting with you, wish I was closer.

We continually shoot coyotes and "coy-dogs" on sight. They run in packs and can be a nuisance around a cow-calf operation.

I had a .257 Wby, but that gun is now a 7RM after a new Brux was fitted. My .257R was a trade, that is the barreled action and Ti take off stock. As noted earlier, I converted the ADL stock to BDL, glassed and free floated for a nice rig. The more I use the .257R, the better I like it and understand the loyal following it's had for so many years. It's just a nicely balanced round, perfect for our local WT's and hogs.

DF
Posted By: DaveyJ Re: 257 Roberts project - 11/24/15
Yeah I feel the .257 Roberts is darn near perfect. Many .243 here at my place but it is pretty light for anything bigger than deer. I have photographed Elk and if I was hunting them I would use the .257 Roberts or my .270 JOC Winchester Model 70.
BTW, Davey, welcome to the Fire.

DF
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 257 Roberts project - 12/22/15

How about a head shot hog at 80 yds...

Used the 115 gr. NBT at around 2,900 fps., 100 gr. TTSX rounds in the mag as back up. I used the Ballistic Tip first, as we chest shoot our deer. I figure mono-metals are probably better for follow up shots when presentation may not be that good.

This bullet made a small entrance and a bigger exit, didn't blow up like earlier BT's. These new BT's seem much less friable than earlier ones. And as noted, accuracy is stellar.

At least that's my current thinking. As a Loony, that's always subject to change...

DF
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 257 Roberts project - 01/02/16

Yep.

This afternoon, shot a 120# doe at 150 yds. using Gunner's load (100 TTSX over 47 gr. H100V).

She was quartering toward me, seemed a bit nervous and had her head up, so I decided to take the shot rather than wait for better presentation. I hit her in the crease between shoulder and neck, the bullet exited near the diaphragm, opposite side. Good chest tissue destruction, basically spared both front quarters. She was obviously hit hard, made a 30 yd. death run and piled up.

DF

Posted By: elkhunternm Re: 257 Roberts project - 01/03/16
Congrats DF! smile
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 257 Roberts project - 01/03/16
Thanks,

Took a while to answer your question. I got side tracked by the 135 gr. Copper Raptor in my .308.

Got back to basics, hanging with the quarter bore for now.

At least until I get my newly built 6.5 Creed sighted in...

DF
Thanks,

Took a while to answer your question. I got side tracked by the 135 gr. Copper Raptor in my .308.

DF
Rifle Looney! grin
Thanks,

DF
Rifle Looney! grin

You reckon..??

DF
laugh
Yup! smile
Posted By: mmgravy Re: 257 Roberts project - 01/03/16
Congrats DF!!
Thanks, Mike.

Seems you know a good bit about this particular rifle... laugh

DF
Gunner500 sold me some .257R ammo (his magic load). He had traded his Roberts for a .280AI and his Roberts ammo became available.

I don't shoot other people's reloads as a rule. But in this case, not a problem.

So, I now have a good supply of 100 TTSX/H100V .257R ammo. The 100 TTSX at 3,250 fps is a killer and of course, super accurate.

Thanks, Gunner.

DF
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 257 Roberts project - 01/04/16
LOL, Yo welcomed DF, glad you finally put that little buzzsaw to work, I found another loaded round, next time we sink a blade into a steak I'll pass it across the table to ya.blush grin

Sounds like that doe didn't know she was dead yet on the short U.B. dash.laugh
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 257 Roberts project - 01/04/16
Yeah, she was dead, just didn't know it...

She sorta squatted and ran, low to the ground, very fast, ran out of gas and crashed.

DF
Posted By: mmgravy Re: 257 Roberts project - 01/04/16
I think you are right.....
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 257 Roberts project - 01/04/16
Outta gas and landed in the cooler.wink
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 257 Roberts project - 01/04/16
You got that right...

She spent a couple of days, iced up in my ice chest, riding around in the back of my Z-71.

Just dropped her off at the processors an hour ago. Wife vacuum sealed backstraps and tenderloins. At the processor, I ordered a couple of packs of stew meat, the rest as chili meat. Cubing stew to throw in the chili adds something.

Hog roast on the grill this past weekend was super. We don't usually eat boars, but this one was young and the meat was great. His fate was sealed two weeks ago by the Roberts, 115 NBT to the head at around 80 yds. Ruined his day.

Reminds me of bacon and eggs. The chicken was involved, the pig was committed... shocked

This young hog made a life changing quarter bore commitment.

DF
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 257 Roberts project - 01/05/16
Cut her with a fork. wink

And yes, the chicks can do several repeats on henberry duty, pigs on bacon, sausage, rib duty, NO! laugh
Posted By: powdr Re: 257 Roberts project - 07/31/18
That's a slick Roberts Farmer. If a guy twisted my arm and put a gun to my head...I'd have to admit that it's just about perfect for Texas w/115gr BT and Partitions. Killed plenty of deer and hogs here w/it's improved cousin. powdr
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: 257 Roberts project - 08/02/18
Love my long-throated .257 Roberts with +P loads and brass.

3609fps with 75g V-MAX and H4895
3233fps with 100g TTSX and H4350
3163fps with 110g AB and H4350
2947fps with 120g A-Frame and H4831SC

Too bad it doesn't shoot well.

[Linked Image]

Don't shoot for groups much anymore but I was dancing bullets just off the edges of clay pigeons with it at 600 yards last weekend.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 257 Roberts project - 04/01/20
Old thread, new update.

I finally fitted the Brux 700 .257R in a Hunter's Edge. Got it here unpainted on the Fire store thru Rick, did the glass work, sent it to McM for paint. Notice how I filled in the oversized bolt handle slot, cut it for a custom fit. I also contoured the bottom of the stock so the floor plate and stock are flush. Floowplate fits in a recess, the sides were a bit too high.

I chose Dark Flat Earth with Olive specs. Had seen one here on the Fire and liked it. Got it back today after about a week at McM. I had taped the pad and bedding which, IIRC, saves around $35. They did a great job as always, no charge for the paint, just return postage. I just put it back together, remounted the Conquest 3-9x40.

The Ti take off stock had a straight, high comb and was thick, had to use high LW's; I like low better. To me, the ergonomics of the Hunter's Edge is about ideal.

I had picked up a factory take off plastic injected molded stock, painted it camo with webbing. It's too limber to free float, has to touch the barrel at the tip. Those don't glass bed very well. I found that accuracy wasn't as good as the Ti, glassed and free floated. The Hunter's Edge is pillared, glassed and free floated. Gun should now be as accurate as ever.

Lighting or something in the shop with the iPhone camera caused a brownish tinge at the edges of the photos. Middle parts of each picture best represent the true color. The bottom photo shows the OEM Rem stock, painted and webbed.

My son sold the Ti take off on Ebay and is selling the Rem stock.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: gunner500 Re: 257 Roberts project - 04/01/20
Damn good job DF, that's a clean build and bet it's going to shoot like a house of fire! Congrats Sir.

You going to try my old Buzzsaw load in it?
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 257 Roberts project - 04/01/20
Already have, meat in the freezer... wink

That 24" Brux is one fine barrel.

Another killer load, besides your fav 100 gr TTSX over 47 gr. H-100V, is the 115 gr. NBT over a stiff load of H-4350. Not 3,250+ fps, but in the upper 2,900 range and deadly. I can testify that one kills'em just about as dead.

DF
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 257 Roberts project - 04/01/20
Oh, 10-4 on already laying meat in the larder, I just can't keep up with all your cool rifles DF, that 115 NBT will fly better in the wind than the little 100gr TTSX should you need to stretch it a bit.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: 257 Roberts project - 04/01/20
I finally fitted the Brux 700 .257R in a Hunter's Edge.

Very nice upgrade but now I have to toss that old TI stock and upgrade with an Edge for my 257. I always liked those TI stocks. smile

Those Edges are about $1K landed here in Canada. frown
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 257 Roberts project - 04/02/20
Ouch. That’s expensive.

I got a better price buying thru Rick here at the Fire Store. McM prices went up again this year, mine was at the old price.

Not sure what he could do for you guys. May want to ask.

DF
Posted By: SuperCub Re: 257 Roberts project - 04/02/20
It's not only the initial price but the exchange from CDN to US $$ and the taxes that's the killer.

Besides ........ I don't need any more projects right now given the current events.

Stay well, Paul
Posted By: shootinurse Re: 257 Roberts project - 04/02/20
Very nice rifle. And, you can't go wrong with that chambering.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 257 Roberts project - 04/02/20
Originally Posted by shootinurse
Very nice rifle. And, you can't go wrong with that chambering.

Yep, for sure.

And, I like it even better than the 257 Wby for what I do. The Wby will reach out better, but I have other rounds for that. Turned my MkV .257 Wby into a Brux barreled 8 twist 7RM, dropped it in a Wby Express McWoody. See below. Loves the heavies.

For WT's and hogs locally, the 257R is hard to beat. IMO, performes way above it's weight class...

DF

Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 257 Roberts project - 04/18/20
Old thread, new update.

I finally fitted the Brux 700 .257R in a Hunter's Edge. Got it here unpainted on the Fire store thru Rick, did the glass work, sent it to McM for paint. Notice how I filled in the oversized bolt handle slot, cut it for a custom fit. I also contoured the bottom of the stock so the floor plate and stock are flush. Floowplate fits in a recess, the sides were a bit too high.

I chose Dark Flat Earth with Olive specs. Had seen one here on the Fire and liked it. Got it back today after about a week at McM. I had taped the pad and bedding which, IIRC, saves around $35. They did a great job as always, no charge for the paint, just return postage. I just put it back together, remounted the Conquest 3-9x40.

The Ti take off stock had a straight, high comb and was thick, had to use high LW's; I like low better. To me, the ergonomics of the Hunter's Edge is about ideal.

I had picked up a factory take off plastic injected molded stock, painted it camo with webbing. It's too limber to free float, has to touch the barrel at the tip. Those don't glass bed very well. I found that accuracy wasn't as good as the Ti, glassed and free floated. The Hunter's Edge is pillared, glassed and free floated. Gun should now be as accurate as ever.

Lighting or something in the shop with the iPhone camera caused a brownish tinge at the edges of the photos. Middle parts of each picture best represent the true color. The bottom photo shows the OEM Rem stock, painted and webbed.

DF

I bought this OEM Rem Tupperware take off on line for $55, painted it and my son just sold it on EBay for $96. I was amazed that the paint job added that much value.

DF
Posted By: mmgravy Re: 257 Roberts project - 04/20/20
Old thread, new update.

DF

The Hunters Edge is perhaps my favorite McMillian and this stock certainly compliments your 257. It was a nice looking rifle before in the Ti stock, but I think it looks even better in the new stock. And I do like the Ti stocks also.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 257 Roberts project - 04/20/20
Thanks, Mike.

I liked the Ti stock except for the high, thick comb. I had to go with high rings.

Hunters Edge ergonomics, about perfect for me and I can use low rings.

You know a lot about this rifle. Ha!

It’s one of my favorites and I have some good ones. That Brux barrel does shoot some really good groups and cleans up very easily.

DF
Posted By: mmgravy Re: 257 Roberts project - 04/21/20
Thanks, Mike.

I liked the Ti stock except for the high, thick comb. I had to go with high rings.

Hunters Edge ergonomics, about perfect for me and I can use low rings.

You know a lot about this rifle. Ha!

It’s one of my favorites and I have some good ones. That Brux barrel does shoot some really good groups and cleans up very easily.

DF

Yes, it is a good one!!
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 257 Roberts project - 04/23/20
The barrel had some scuffs and stains. I polished it with 400 paper, put it in a padded vice and worked on it like shining shoes, turning to get all the way around. Turned out nice, but now may be a bit shiny. I got some camo wrap to use if needed. It like a cling bandage, no sticky, just clings to itself, roll it on with overlap and it stays..

DF
© 24hourcampfire