Home
Posted By: HaYen Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/27/15
So I may be late to the party on this, but I just saw this rifle. Some factory manufactures offer a precision versions of their bolt guns. But how many build theirs on their "Budget Actions". For those that don't know, the Ruger Precision is based on the Ruger American Rifle.

I've shot a few RAR's (I don't own one) and some other entry level rifles, but this rifle comes with an AR style frame. The Multi-Magazine Interface is pretty cool. A 5R barrel and 20 MOA base.

Again the thing that catches me off-guard is this is a manufacture building this on there "budget" action. Of course the higher end goodies come at a higher price ($1,100 est).

Now if I can just find an AR style fame for an Axis? lol

HaYen
Posted By: turkish Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/27/15
The gun caught my eye, too, and I quickly caught on to the fact that it was using the RAR action. Thought that was kinda bizarre, for the price.
My guess is it would be a good time to buy Ruger stock. That gun will be sold out for a long, long time.
Posted By: Darkker Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/27/15
Originally Posted by HaYen
But how many build theirs on their "Budget Actions".

Again the thing that catches me off-guard is this is a manufacture building this on there "budget" action. Of course the higher end goodies come at a higher price ($1,000)

Totally agree, and the exact thing I said on another board. All the fan-boy, mall ninjas immediately began the flaming.

Unfortunately, I also agree that they will sell a [bleep]-load of them.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/27/15
Looking at this one on the net last night. That is sweet. Ruger is good about knowing what people want and giving it to them. They will have a hard time keeping up production on this one.
Posted By: HaYen Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/27/15
Nothing against the RAR Percision, but I think I found my next build, just because.

https://mdttac.com/lss-chassis-system.html

I like the snow color paint job.

The goal is to come in under $1,100.
Posted By: avagadro Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/27/15
Not sure of your budget action hang-up. Many here line up for a Sako budget action (spelled Tikka) 😜😘
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/27/15
Nothing against the RAR Percision, but I think I found my next build, just because.

https://mdttac.com/lss-chassis-system.html

I like the snow color paint job.

The goal is to come in under $1,100.

Either you have very poor reading comprehension, or you just decided to NOT read. The end result is the same.
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/28/15
They make that stock for a model seven. That is the first time I have seen a DBM set up for one. Kinda cool, even though I wont be buying one.
Posted By: deflave Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/28/15
So I may be late to the party on this, but I just saw this rifle. Some factory manufactures offer a precision versions of their bolt guns. But how many build theirs on their "Budget Actions". For those that don't know, the Ruger Precision is based on the Ruger American Rifle.

I've shot a few RAR's (I don't own one) and some other entry level rifles, but this rifle comes with an AR style frame. The Multi-Magazine Interface is pretty cool. A 5R barrel and 20 MOA base.

Again the thing that catches me off-guard is this is a manufacture building this on there "budget" action. Of course the higher end goodies come at a higher price ($1,100 est).

Now if I can just find an AR style fame for an Axis? lol

HaYen

They're selling for around $900 according to those finding them already. As far as "budget actions," the Remington model 700 is THE original "budget action." Same with push feed Winchesters and more than a few rifles have been built around them.

Not to mention the likes of Savage don't make anything but budget actions. Same for Tikka.

Remington's MSRP for a chassis rifle is close to $3K and if you built one yourself you'd probably go right at or over that same amount.

Some good info/results showing on the last few pages here. I think Ruger has (another) winner.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10158260/1/Ruger's_New_Offering
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/28/15
When Ruger designed the "budget" RAR, their engineers sat around and brainstormed about which accuracy features they'd like to include (such as the 3-lug bolt, and steel bedding blocks), then figured out ways to produce the rifle on new, efficient machinery to make it affordable. Empirical evidence suggests they succeeded, but apparently there are still shooters convinced that no rifle that doesn't cost a lot will shoot accurately.
Posted By: WranglerJohn Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/28/15
Just read the review in The American Rifleman, the Ruger Precision Rifle appears to be a winner. That budget action will outshoot most any other factory number, and a good deal of "custom" actions to boot. I'm trying to justify buying one with safes full of rifles built on the Savage Precision Target Actions, and a few on the Remington 700 or 40X. Those builds, even some weird straight pull bolt actions I built on AR-15 platforms, can outshoot the Ruger mentioned in the review, dropping groups to between .2" and .5" for ten shots, but for a minimum of $3,000 each. Just the barrels on mine ran $550 to $700 each.

So if a guy wants a solid rifle to plink at the moon, I'd say Ruger filled the bill.
Posted By: David_Walter Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/28/15
Does the LSS use PMags?

I don't see where they do.

The Ruger does.

Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/28/15
Originally Posted by TheBlueMountainApe
My guess is it would be a good time to buy Ruger stock. That gun will be sold out for a long, long time.

I've been watching the auctions on gunbroker for these. When they first showed up starting bids were running $879.99 or so with bidding prices running upwards of $1,200 and some up over $1,400. Now some dealers are starting them at a penny - $.01 - with bids quickly topping $1,000 on up to $1,250 or more.

That is what the economists call "demand". wink
Originally Posted by Darkker

Totally agree, and the exact thing I said on another board. All the fan-boy, mall ninjas immediately began the flaming.

Unfortunately, I also agree that they will sell a [bleep]-load of them.

What is unfortunate about it if Ruger has a winner?
6.5 Creedmoor would be nice
Posted By: RinB Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/28/15
Laughing! Kenny Jarrett builds a three lug action for better and more consistent accuracy. They are pricey and difficult to get so are desirable. GAP has a three lug for $4-5000, it is great. So also BAT.

Ruger engineers a three lug and figures out how to make it precisely and efficiently meaning for low cost. It too is able to produce great accuracy. But it is no good cause it is cheap and available.

I think in years to come it will be the go to action for modern customs.
I cannot wait to get one of those! That is a game changer I believe.
Posted By: HaYen Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/29/15
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
When Ruger designed the "budget" RAR, their engineers sat around and brainstormed about which accuracy features they'd like to include (such as the 3-lug bolt, and steel bedding blocks), then figured out ways to produce the rifle on new, efficient machinery to make it affordable. Empirical evidence suggests they succeeded, but apparently there are still shooters convinced that no rifle that doesn't cost a lot will shoot accurately.

Thank you John!!! Perfect answer
© 24hourcampfire