Home
Posted By: azjim Browning BAR 243 hunting ammo?? - 07/31/15
Picked up a short trac 243 for the kids to hunt coues deer and javelina with. Any suggestions on factory ammo?? Anyone using a short trac with advice on setting one up. Not looking for it to shoot as well as a good bolt rifle but would like to get the most out of it.
Thanks, Jim
I would start by purchasing 3-4 brands of 100 grain ammo, preferably with premium bullets and see what shoots best. Think TSX or Parttion.

A 2-7x scope or 1.5-6 should work fine.
I like my .243 BAR with open sites so I can't comment on accuracy. I like killing the small steel sheep at my range with Fusion at 200 yards. Never bothered to shoot at paper with it.
Barnes Vortex 80 grain TTSX.
Federal Blue box 100 grain have put allot of venison in our freezer with no problems.
Originally Posted by Moses
Barnes Vortex 80 grain TTSX.
for deer - any of the 85 to 100 grain load ammo plus this one. for javelina any accurate .243 ammo. many of the deer i have shot were with the federal 85 grain sierra bthp.
Shot my first deer with the .243 and NP100 last year. Worked just like everything else seems to; pass through, short run, dead deer. I'll probably get around to trying the 80gr TTSXs eventually, but the .243 has to go to the back of the rotation for now.
thanks everybody, I'll pick up a few different boxes and see what it likes
You may be surprised at the accuracy? Most BARs will shoot something really close to an inch. Most I have had( other than 7mags) shot an inch and a quarter or better. One .270 did three for a half inch often enough that it was no fluke.

The one that I have kept is an .30-06 that does about 1 1/8 for three with 150 factory Remington CL.

Jack
95gr NBT
Hornady 100g Interloks.
© 24hourcampfire