Home
Posted By: GeoW Gun storage... need advise. - 07/31/15
As some of you may know, we experienced a direct lightning strike to our home, which rendered the house uninhabitable for the next few months. Off-site storage of my gun collection is much too expensive at my gunsmith's location, I've run out of ideas, and am asking my fellow gun enthusiasts for suggestions for temporary storage.

Has anyone ever used a self storage unit? I've even thought of a covered cargo trailer, which could be secured at our temporary lodging. In the next few months while our home is being rebuilt, I do intend to liquidate a large portion of my collection, so whatever storage method I use, the collection will need to be readily accessible.

Any and all advice is welcome. I will, of course, give campfire members the opportunity to buy before placing the weapons for sale on gunbroker.com.

I am no sicker than I ever was; the wolf is not at the door; I do have a pot to piss in; wink so, I'm not giving the guns away - the firearms I list will be sold at a fair price - I'm certainly not in the price gouging business. First thing I need to do, though, is find a place to store the collection, away from the gun shop.

Thank you for your help,
George
I'd say a chain through a wall stud and run through the actions or trigger guards would suffice.
Posted By: pal Re: Gun storage... need advise. - 07/31/15
You need a gun safe.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Gun storage... need advise. - 07/31/15
ringworm, no wall studs available... Pal, thanks but safes don't come that big... No where to put it if it did.

This is for temporary storage until I sell them or get them back in a house.
Don't do the trailer thing. All you Will have done is put you guns on wheels. One can get into trailers with a razor knife, or worst case, a sawzall. Cordless makes it easy. Get a gun safe.

Good luck!
Give us some data. How many long guns, how many handguns are you looking for temp storage? Are they in boxes or protective cases? What're the environmental conditions like where you are - humid or dry? What kind of security will be at your temp residence - someone nearby always or are you gone to work all day? That should help get you some useful suggestions.

Bob
Originally Posted by GeoW
...Pal, thanks but safes don't come that big... No where to put it if it did.

This is for temporary storage until I sell them or get them back in a house.

Don't give up so easily. Rent or borrow whatever you need.
No-one like to be an imposition but do you not have any trust worthy friends or family nearby? I would think they would be understanding in a situation like this.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Dave.
Posted By: 8SNAKE Re: Gun storage... need advise. - 07/31/15
PODS (or similar) container at your current lodging location might work. This time of year, though, humidity would be a concern over a period of months. Next thought is a climate-controlled storage unit to help combat the humidity issue and still provide easy accessibility.

As Bob mentioned, more data will certainly help guide the suggestions. In addition to his points, what kind of price range are you looking at? You mentioned the local smith being too pricey, but didn't quantify it.

Oh, I know. Put them on consignment at a local pawn shop for prices that work for you. If they don't sell, pick them up when your home is ready. You get secure storage and the opportunity to sell some of your collection. I'm not too familiar with consignment sales like that, so my idea might not have any merit.
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE
...Put them on consignment at a local pawn shop for prices that work for you. If they don't sell, pick them up when your home is ready. You get secure storage and the opportunity to sell some of your collection...

That's a good idea.
How close are you to San Antonio?
Posted By: GeoW Re: Gun storage... need advise. - 08/01/15
1163 miles.
How about a gun safe or two or three in a climate controlled storage area?
Posted By: GeoW Re: Gun storage... need advise. - 08/01/15
I am looking into a climate controlled area today. The consignment thing might work well too, if those guns on consignment will be storage free.

The storage is $175 per day now, covered by insurance, but unfair in my opinion.
$175 per day??
Maybe I just found my next career opportunity!
Posted By: natman Re: Gun storage... need advise. - 08/01/15
I once had a similar situation. I gave the guns a good coat of Breakfree Collector oil and packed them in VCI bags from Poly gun bags. I then packed the bags in gun cases or knit covers. I packed the cases in ordinary wardrobe boxes, complete with hanger bar. You can fit twenty or so long guns in each box. I did use strapping tape on the boxes.

I put all the boxes with guns in them in the back of the storage unit and then filled the unit with furniture, other household items and identical wardrobe boxes containing clothing.

Anyone who broke into the unit would have seen it was full of ordinary stuff and would have had to empty out the entire storage unit to get to the guns. Unless the thief knows you have something valuable in there, they're not going to bother.

The real trick is to keep your unit anonymous. Move the guns in yourself and use a good, but not conspicuous lock.
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
How about a gun safe or two or three in a climate controlled storage area?

That is what I am currently doing. I have 3 safes in a climate controlled self storage facility that has onsite supervision 24 hr/day. It's not cheap though. Costing me $90 a month for not much more than a big closest space with a plug for the golden rods.
I like the wardrobe boxes idea. Especially with some decoy boxes in front. Thieves don't care about clothes.
Posted By: 8SNAKE Re: Gun storage... need advise. - 08/01/15
The storage is $175 per day now, covered by insurance, but unfair in my opinion.

That seems outrageous to me. $5,250+ per MONTH.
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE

That seems outrageous to me. $5,250+ per MONTH.

Depends on how many guns you are talking about, their value, and the level of protection provided. It would be cheap for 100 guns and 24-hour armed guards...
If you're going to do the on site storage....Instead of a pod, look into a 20' conex box (sea container). William Scotsman rents them with an added Security locking system.

I know I'd feel safer with a conex rather than a pod.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Gun storage... need advise. - 08/07/15
Thanks for all the help. LGS stepped up and made a storage offer too good to pass up.

Lesson learned... I will never have this many guns under my roof in the future. For those saying you can't have too many guns, I wouldn't wish this delima on you as one can indeed own too many guns. 😱

Thanks again,
Geo
Posted By: natman Re: Gun storage... need advise. - 08/08/15
Thanks for all the help. LGS stepped up and made a storage offer too good to pass up.

Lesson learned... I will never have this many guns under my roof in the future. For those saying you can't have too many guns, I wouldn't wish this delima on you as one can indeed own too many guns. 😱

I had gun buying as a hobby for many years. I didn't really realize how many I had until I had to clean, oil, inventory, pack and move them all at once.

That was when I realized that I had too many. So now it's time to get rid of the duplicates, the projects, the "deals that were too good to pass up", the guns that would be perfect for a certain situation, but realistically I could cover with one of my other guns just as well.

© 24hourcampfire