Home
I have a Kimber 84M Classic that is going off to be blue printed and have a new barrel installed. It is currently 308 Win. That is much too boring and I have never been a fan of the caliber. I hand-load only and factory ammo is not a concern. This rifle is used for whitetails in both the Southeast and Northern New England. I want something between 6mm and 6.5mm projectiles.

My first choice would be 260 Remington. The problem is the magazine box is only 2.82" long. (I already have trouble loading my other 260s into a 2.9" box.) Because of that, I am kind of ruling 260 out.

6.5 Creedmoor is a viable option, and I already load for it, but good quality brass doesn't exist for this without forming from 308 (PITA). The Nosler and Hornady brass require a lot of work to get them prepped.

What else should I be looking at for a fairly short COL? 6XC? 257 Roberts? 6.5x47? 243?

What have you guys chambered your Kimber in?

Good quality brass doesn't exist for the 6.5 CM?

News to me....

David
I'd go CM without a doubt. In fact, I have a Montana that may go that way.

Pretty sure the Hornady brass is from Norma.

I think 22-250 Lapua brass is a viable option for forming, but I haven't done it. Need a little more research.
Originally Posted by Canazes9

News to me....

David

In my opinion, no. All the Hornady I have used requires neck turning, squaring of the primer pocket, cutting primer pocket to the correct depth, and drilling/chamfering the primer hole.

6.5x47 Lapua.....or even better.......6x47 Lapua.

This ^^^
Originally Posted by whitebread

News to me....

David

In my opinion, no. All the Hornady I have used requires neck turning, squaring of the primer pocket, cutting primer pocket to the correct depth, and drilling/chamfering the primer hole.

And all that will make how much difference on a 7 lb. rifle being fired towards a basketball sized target at typical hunting ranges?
I'd go with the 260 even with the 2.8" mag box. The mag box would be fine with hunting bullets. Or how about a 25-284?
243 if you're really set against the Creedmoor.

News to me....

David

And to me.
7-08AI
If its getting a new tube it can be throated how you wish..
.243 Ackley Improved...
I'd go 7-08, AI or regular. Seems to me like the perfect round for a Kimber.
Another vote for 6x47 Lapua.
Bullets matter more than headstamps...always have and always will.

Key is to pick a bullet and build a great handling/superbly balanced rifle around it. 2.800" COAL is hardly daunting and superb choices literally abound. One will never go wrong building around a .224" 75A-Max,.243" 105 A-Max or .284" 162 A-Max. I don't 6.5,so have less than zero interest there,but it is certainly doable as well.

On a .473" Montucky Donor the 22-250AI twisted 8" in a contour/length dupe,is well represented commodities in these parts. There's not much that the 75A-Max at 3450 fps+,won't capably handle.

The SAAMI 243Win and 243AI are represented in like ilk. Very easy to arrange 105gr smooches,well shy of max box latitude and a 2.750" A-Max smooch is a mainstay. As is OEM Guise SAAMI 243Win launching 90gr Skinners from their issued 10" twist rates. I'm beyond enthralled with my no-turn 6BR in a contour dupe,shortened to 20" and am rather at ease gunning it in distant zipcodes.

SAAMI OEM 7-08's abound too,but obviously won't smooch a 162 as issued...though they leap well. Skinners are of similar penchant. My 7-08AI is 700 based and no slouch with 162's at 2850fps.

That being said,I shoot my Montucky 223 and 223AI more than anything else. The 7" Rock OEM contour dupe at 21" is a phenom with the 75's at 3150fps.

There just might be a couple/few Montuckies in these parts.(grin)

Weighing what I've got and shot in 84M .473" rifles,with a 6mm mimimum diameter threshold upon said platform...it'd be 6BR for me and again at 20". Fhuqker is simply wicked good handling,of incredible Precision and it's mild manners don't hurt any equation. Thus far the Lapooey brass has been better than splendid and I'm driving it with .003" constriction ala Redding Bushing Sizer. The performance has to be seen,to be believed and with 23.5 Mils left on the erector,covering real estate is a non-issue. 10 more Mils on the windshield for 33.5 Mils total,ain't tough to "suffer".

Yesterday.

[Linked Image]

This Spring(first week of April).

[Linked Image]

Last Fall.

[Linked Image]

Victims LOVE posing with it.

[Linked Image]

Adding the requisite magbox shim to the fore of the equation,was vastly superior to doing so aft. I used aluminum and made a faux feedramp of sorts,to corral things into the middle of the middle and it's a Peach.

I reckon it'll be a key player,in regards to some rather spectacular pixels this year.

Hint....................
Originally Posted by laker
I'd go with the 260 even with the 2.8" mag box. The mag box would be fine with hunting bullets.

This.

Originally Posted by 16bore
If its getting a new tube it can be throated how you wish..

And this.
I'd either choose a 243, 243 AI, or 6.5X47. Twisted as fast as practical of course.

I've been frustrated by the magbox in a 260, and even the 6.5 Creedmoor can be pushing it in the Kimber confines.
I wouldn't spend more than $50 on an 84M unless it were endorsed by Stick.
6-47
6BR
Thanks for the input, gentleman. I will speak with the smith again tomorrow. Right now I am leaning towards 243, or more likely, 243AI.
Surprised no one mentioned the 250AI? P.O. himself wrote that it was one of the best AI's. Seems like a perfect choice for your use.
243 AI or 6.5/47 Lapua. I love my new 243 AI throated with 105 HPBT at 2.750" it fits the 2.8xx" Remington ADL box just fine with room to feed and chase the lands.
Originally Posted by TJO
Surprised no one mentioned the 250AI? P.O. himself wrote that it was one of the best AI's. Seems like a perfect choice for your use.

The 250 AI is a great little round; I really like 25s in general.

But didn't you know you have to have a .6 BC and Lapua brass for shooting at 200 yard deer?! eek
Originally Posted by Big Stick

This Spring(first week of April).

[Linked Image]

You're gonna cause a stroke or 10 when people connect the dots on the BR with a 105 taking that bear....
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by TJO

But didn't you know you have to have a .6 BC and Lapua brass for shooting at 200 yard deer?! eek

Very true....haha. My wife still thinks her 250ai works real well to shoot and kill stuff
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by TJO

Very true....haha. My wife still thinks her 250ai works real well to shoot and kill stuff
I won an 84 in 338 Federal, things didn't work out. I had it re-barreled with a 24" Kreiger barrel in 257 Roberts. I love the gun and it is far more accurate than me. I also got a slightly heavier contour barrel making it easier to shoot.

Everyone that shoots it, loves it. Given the opportunity, I would do it exactly the same again.
.25 Souper AI. It has the same powder capacity of the .257 Bob. Run .243 brass through an expander die and fire form and you're done. It would be unique and monumental.
© 24hourcampfire