Home
Any tips would be appreciated? I can send it back to McMillan but that would be $56 and 4-12 weeks. I'm not so much worried about the cash but I really want to bed my rifle to this stock sooner rather than later

Thanks
Beer and Dremel.

Travis
That's exactly what I said.... 'cept Drum don't drink. So, he's screwed.... cause this is the single worst bedding job I've ever seen..... it's 1/4" thick at the front swivel stud.
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
That's exactly what I said.... 'cept Drum don't drink. So, he's screwed.... cause this is the single worst bedding job I've ever seen..... it's 1/4" thick at the front swivel stud.

Yeah, its awesome grin
Originally Posted by deflave
Beer and Dremel.

Travis

Both superb and proven.

Send it to Travis, how hard you wanna make this.
1/8" air grinder and an 1/8" 4 flute carbide ball end mill
Dremel for sure...
Hey hunt..!

Good to hear from you, been wondering where you were.

As to removing 'bedding' >>What's HER name? <G>

Dremel is my main tool.......for stocks.

Jerry
Originally Posted by jwall
Hey hunt..!

Good to hear from you, been wondering where you were.

Jerry

[Linked Image]

For some reason,

[Linked Image]

I get the notion

[Linked Image]

he's been huntin'

JAPPFT,

GWB

Curious as to whether or not a bear bit the dust myself.
Originally Posted by Gristle
Curious as to whether or not a bear bit the dust myself.

We didn't kill a single bear in camp. In fact, GW never saw a bear. It was a tough hunt to put it mildly but we are going to have GW back out to finish what we started.

25" of rain already this year meant an acorn crop like we've never seen in that country and the bears were spread all over. Gee got some fantastic pictures of the ranch that I'm sure he'll share.

Tough pill to swallow for me as we've been 100% opportunity over the previous two years with multiple bears per day being seen
Also, it's a good idea to tape a shop vac nozzle within an inch or two of where you are Dremeling.

And turn the shop vac on.

Travis
Originally Posted by Powerguy

Send it to Travis, how hard you wanna make this.

I'm too drunk, to taste this chicken.

Dave
G W -

"he's been huntin'",

That's no excuse. whistle He must not have anything to do! wink

Fantastic pics.

I missed your invitation, sorry. grin
[Linked Image]

there is more than one way.........

[Linked Image]

to measure the success........

[Linked Image]

of a hunt.

[Linked Image]

IMHO.

Best,

GWB

Really enjoy the pics and game.

Keep em coming when you can. Thnx

Jerry
I just about spit pork carnitas all over the table yesterday when I saw pics of some of the other critters y'all spotted on that hunt.

Great pics Gdub.... didn't know it was you who Drum was down there hunting with, or I'd have sent a 6-Pack of Loveland's finest ales with him for ya. Good on you for finally getting you ckunt off the couch.... laffin.
Good on you for finally getting you ckunt off the couch.... laffin.

Yeah buddy, it's not often that I get far from the couch, much less the "Petting Zoo". However when I saw the opportunity to meet Drummund when he posted this hunt.....

[Linked Image]

and then found out that Rick Menefee was one of the other hunters....

[Linked Image]

I could "bearly" contain myself.

It ain't often that an 80%er like moi gets to tag along with
folks of their caliber.

Thanks guys!!!!

JAPPFT,

GWB

PS:

[Linked Image]

man can those guys spot critters!!!!!

Best way send it to Bobby Martinez. Stress free hung bedding that shoots in the same hole year after year in many environments.
Never have a worry again. The end

Ps
They're ain't bighorn in Oklahoma. Grin..
I was corrected this weekend on here that it doesn't matter if it's stress free or not. Hope this helps...grin.

Great pics guys I'm sure it was a wonderful time.
Kaleb
Find a new buddy. Whoever it may is working with sh-t material or a dumb azz.

Tape the hose from a Shop Vac to the barrel channel while your grinding. Makes it easy to see whatcha doing and keeps the dust way down.
Originally Posted by 16bore

Tape the hose from a Shop Vac to the barrel channel while your grinding. Makes it easy to see whatcha doing and keeps the dust way down.

I already said that you fugk!

Clark
Oh, sorry. I tend to skip over your bullschit.....
It may help to use a shop vac when your grinding to keep the dust level down
Originally Posted by 16bore
Oh, sorry. I tend to skip over your bullschit.....

Lie.

Dave
Originally Posted by RWE
It may help to use a shop vac when your grinding to keep the dust level down

+1.

Clark
The dust is crazy and I can hardly see what I'm doing
Since nobody has mentioned it, I would suggest using a shop vac.
Originally Posted by SLM
Since nobody has mentioned it, I would suggest using a shop vac.

THANK YOU! Finally somebody chimes in with some solid advice
First of all great pics G-Dub!

I have fancy new cordless Dremel in my garage, takes too damn long!

Luckily a (sharp)knife will work on Acra-Gel or whatever it's called.

Do not use a medium size screw driver as a pry tool. The stock is fairly thin.

[Linked Image]
Does anybody have any suggestions on a good way/the best way to remove bedding from inside the recoil lug area only. I have a stock that was previously bedded to another barreled action. Insertion of the current action is impossible because of how narrow the recoil lug area is. I want to try to drop in this other barreled action without messing with the bedding any more than I have to and see how it shoots. I just want to remove enough from the lug area to slide it in to see if it works. If it doesn't shoot well, I'll remove it all, kind of a reverse bedding opportunity. The cone stone for the dremel will not work because of shape. Ideas?
For removing small amounts of bedding, I'd do it the old way, hand chisels and scrapers. FWIW, I believe I'd dremel out the lug and rebed as a first move, but I know that with a little patience the chisel will work.
The entire action and about three inches in front of the lug are all bedded. I should have been more clear.
I should've added that when using a dremel that a shop vac is a good idea....
Does it have to be a Shop-Vac brand?
I'm glad you asked.

It'd be best to stay with a name brand, but even a generic shop vacuum can be used with success. Some of the generic models can be difficult to remove from the box.......
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Does anybody have any suggestions on a good way/the best way to remove bedding from inside the recoil lug area only. I have a stock that was previously bedded to another barreled action. Insertion of the current action is impossible because of how narrow the recoil lug area is. I want to try to drop in this other barreled action without messing with the bedding any more than I have to and see how it shoots. I just want to remove enough from the lug area to slide it in to see if it works. If it doesn't shoot well, I'll remove it all, kind of a reverse bedding opportunity. The cone stone for the dremel will not work because of shape. Ideas?

I use a very small sharpened flat screw driver and use it as a chisel. It makes it easy to work in corners. Simply tap the screw driver with a small hammer as you would with a chisel. This has worked very well for me.

Pieter
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Does it have to be a Shop-Vac brand?

I think the advice thus far has been succinct. Shop Vac Means Shop Vac....Dremel means Dremel...

Beer means Dos Equis.....at least here. On the Hi-line I think they regard Busch Lite as beer......

Now don't muck up the thread any more! grin
Thanks for the input guys, it is as I thought.

How about a good way to absorb the dust as I chisel. Do they make some sort of device, vacuum like, that would work. Input on that would be appreciated. I know using our upright vacuum would just be too difficult. I'm open to ideas. Perhaps I have something in my shop.
© 24hourcampfire