Home

Giving it to a Grandson who has decided to become a full time Alaska resident.

Win. Mod 70 338 Stainless, 22" #4 Kreiger. HS precision stock. Leupold 3.5x10.
200 rounds loaded with 250 gr Partitions.

I've been thinking it's time to start letting go of some of the stuff now in order to be sure it ends up where I want it to be.
Sure gonna leave a big empty hole in the safe though.
I'm not sure I'd give him my "best rifle", but good for you.

What a gift! You are now the "cool grandpa" for sure!
To be honest, it's my "best" rifle, but it's not my favorite.
Sounds like a great rifle for Alaska.
Sounds like a great gift!!
Originally Posted by Tracks

Pretty sure a 250 Partition will leave a big empty hole in just about anything....
Nice idea.. I am thinking along those lines myself.. I will never get close the $ I have in many rifles.
The only thing I give for free is bad advice.

Clark
cool cool

"you da man".... smile
Good for you, Tracks-

Been doing the same thing myself, giving my firearms, sporting goods, etc. to my sons and grandson for them to enjoy and appreciate in the future.

Much rather do it now, rather than wait until I'm gone and never know what happened to it all.
My 35 yr. old son lives 8 hrs. away in NW AR. He has his family, a great job and loves guns. Every year I give him one of my guns with dies, etc.

This year it's going to be a very nice pre-64 M-94 .30-30 with checkering and peep sight. I think he'll love it and will use it more than I do. My eyes are past peep sight prime.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
D F -

A 94 - 30-30 ? Why don't you give him a rifle? whistle grin

Man, that IS a very nice looking piece + pre 64 as well. smile

Jerry
TRACKS -

A very appropriate rifle/cart for AK.

KUDOS II, my hats off to ya.

Jerry
Originally Posted by jwall
D F -

A 94 - 30-30 ? Why don't you give him a rifle? whistle grin

Man, that IS a very nice looking piece + pre 64 as well. smile

Jerry

laugh

He gotta walk before he can run... whistle

He's got some nice ones already including a post-64, push feed 7RM M-70 that I bought cheap many moons ago, fitted and checkered a nice stock. That one drew WT blood already.

He will enjoy this 94, has good eyes for the peep/fiberoptic front.

DF
That's a nice 30/30. Those types of gifts are always the most loved. My late grandpa gave me his bicentennial model 94 before he passed. Its now a rifle my son or grandson will get. Nothing more special then being personally handed something dear to your grandfather's Hart.
Beautiful .30-30.. Great gift..
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Nice idea.. I am thinking along those lines myself.. I will never get close the $ I have in many rifles.

Yeah, I got to counting what that rifle cost, the fact that it was perhaps the worst rifle Winchester ever built, and all the work I had done on it.
The only original untouched part of the rifle was the part that had the serial number on it.
Total investment about$2400.
But, I hadn't even fired it in three or four years.
Took the kid to the range today, and even with high winds he was shooting 3 inch groups offhand at 100 meters.
Can't wait until he get used to it.
It will be interesting to see what game he brings to bag with your gift.
The old 30/30 kills way out of proportion to its size.
Tracks,

Good for you. He will enjoy and appreciate it...

Started doing same thing with my grand kids a couple years ago. First thought was to start letting them use 'em now instead waiting till I kick the bucket. Second, no worries for anyone else regarding how to "divide 'em up" when I die.

I don't miss a single one of 'em...

After my son and daughter got married I started giving several away. My son-in-law is especially pleased.

I've been thinking it's time to start letting go of some of the stuff now in order to be sure it ends up where I want it to be.

Good on you. That sounds like a perfect rifle for where he'll be. It might hurt for a while, but I'm sure he'll love it...
Originally Posted by JMR40
After my son and daughter got married I started giving several away. My son-in-law is especially pleased.

Sounds like that boy married good... grin

DF

yeah but it doesn't sound like you could have picked a better home for it....
My thinking is sorta like the OP's. I have a bunch of guns I've accumulated over the years. I'd rather start thinning them out now, placing them where they need to go rather than having family struggle with an estate loaded with piles of guns and related stuff.

What's easy for me may prove a major hassle for them. I'm looking down the road, streamlining my collection, making a few trades, guns I don't use for ones I can play with, selling others.

I'm keeping the keepers, wheeling and dealing with the rest.

DF
D F -

A guy can PUT IN WRITING who gets which gun/s. Some might want to start enjoying them now. Some may not be ready yet.

To 'WILL' them is another way to avoid last minute hassle/struggle.

Jerry

Well, in my case, my son gets all the guns. My daughter gets other stuff. Her husband knows nothing about hunting, shooting or guns.

My son would be overwhelmed with the volume of guns I now have, thus my plan to thin the herd and let some go.

DF
DF,

Care to adopt another "son"? smile

SS
Originally Posted by jwall
D F -

A guy can PUT IN WRITING who gets which gun/s. Some might want to start enjoying them now. Some may not be ready yet.

To 'WILL' them is another way to avoid last minute hassle/struggle.

Jerry

Yeah, cause pissed off family and lawyers never get in the way of that...
When my daughter's family moved to Wyoming I gave my bowhunting son in law his choice of any rifle I owned. Thinking he would probably choose one of my 7 RMs, he surprised me by choosing my only .308 Win. and it was a really accurate one.
Originally Posted by SamSteele
DF,

SS

Now, if you weren't way up there in Canada... laugh

DF
Congrats to you and your grandson. My only grandkid so far is only 1-1/2 years old. Think I'll wait a while before giving him any guns.
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Congrats to you and your grandson. My only grandkid so far is only 1-1/2 years old. Think I'll wait a while before giving him any guns.

At least not a .338... grin

Maybe in a few years... cool

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by SamSteele
DF,

SS

Now, if you weren't way up there in Canada... laugh

DF

Haha. Just think about the "family" hunts up here in Canada!

SS
© 24hourcampfire