Home
Posted By: Wrangler13 Montana bolt binding. - 08/31/15
Picked up a .223 Montana a couple months ago from Whittakers. When I open the bolt if I put any upward pressure on it when pulling it back the bolt will bind about an inch back. Any ideas what the cause would be. If I have to take a fast follow up shot the bolt will bind and have to be pushed forward to release it.
Posted By: Shooter71 Re: Montana bolt binding. - 08/31/15
Does it do it with the action screws backed off?
Posted By: Shooter71 Re: Montana bolt binding. - 08/31/15
Ejector tip catching on extractor collar?
Posted By: Wrangler13 Re: Montana bolt binding. - 08/31/15
Will try it with the screws backed out. Extractor was my guess but not sure
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Montana bolt binding. - 08/31/15
A few years ago I tried to buy a .308 Montana that had that problem. The right hand lug would catch on the right rear raceway at the rear of the action if the bolt had even moderate upward pressure on it. It appeared the lug and bolt handle were out of timing with the rear raceway. I did not purchase it but order another one that worked fine.

Fast forward to two months ago and I picked up a 7mm-08 Montana that I had ordered (lucky since they have stopped cambering the 7mm-08 for a while) and it also has a "slight" catch at the same location. It is not near as severe as the 308 was and it may slick itself up in time, at least I hope so. I don't think it is bad enough to hurt me on cycling the action in a hurry.

This may be a more common problem that people think.
I picked up a 7mm-08 here a couple months ago to it is super smooth and shoots great. I just called kimber they are sending me a prepaid shipping label. I hoped it might smooth out but locks up tight still. Looks like it could be binding on the right raceway?
Posted By: joshf303 Re: Montana bolt binding. - 08/31/15
Check to see if the mag box is binding. I worked over another members .223 recently and it was noticeably hard to cycle. Ended up taking .040" off the bottom of the box before it would move freely under the feed rails when bolted up in the stock.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Montana bolt binding. - 08/31/15
Scope base screws
I removed the scope and talleys and it still locks up.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Montana bolt binding. - 08/31/15
Take a red sharpie marker and coat the bolt body and lugs

Stick in into the action and work it

Remove the bolt and look at the bolt......you will see marker worn off at the contact point

Now look inside the action with a flash light.....you will see red at the contact point inside
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Montana bolt binding. - 08/31/15
Ah, another Kimber Montana issue, the amateur gunsmiths best friend.............Good luck with your rifle, I know your pain first hand.................Hb
© 24hourcampfire