Home
Posted By: KLM Forbes 24b 280AI - 09/01/15
Anyone have experience with a Forbes 24b in 280AI? If so, would appreciate hearing about quality and accuracy. Any difference in the early models with the jeweled bolt versus the newer ones with the Ti style bolt? Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Forbes 24b 280AI - 09/01/15
The big difference in the early models and today's is Melvin Forbes was actually part of the company, and isn't now.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Forbes 24b 280AI - 09/01/15
That would be a big difference for me. Didn't Melvin make the stocks for the first run of the Forbes rifles? I love his stock.
I would like to shoot a NULA in 280AI. Would have some concerns about recoil. I hate brakes but am guessing that a 280 AI would be the ragged edge of manageable recoil with such a light gun. Concern would not be the discomfort just the amount of quick jump such a rifle would have.
Posted By: KLM Re: Forbes 24b 280AI - 09/01/15
I had a CLR in 7RM for awhile that Melvin upgraded. Recoil was a non-issue with his NULA stock(and I'm kind of wimply). I have shot an ULA 30-06 with 165 grain bullets and a max load of IMR 4350 and its not bad.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The big difference in the early models and today's is Melvin Forbes was actually part of the company, and isn't now.

John,

When did he depart from Forbes? And why?
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Forbes 24b 280AI - 09/01/15
Do the Forbes rifles still use NULA stocks John ?
Originally Posted by KLM
I had a CLR in 7RM for awhile that Melvin upgraded. Recoil was a non-issue with his NULA stock(and I'm kind of wimply). I have shot an ULA 30-06 with 165 grain bullets and a max load of IMR 4350 and its not bad.

I have a 5lb NULA 260. Obviously not a hard kicking cartridge but in such a light rifle it jumps up pretty quickly on the bench. Non issue in the field. I agree that the stock seems to nicely distribute the felt recoil. Melvin told me the wider butt section helps this. I recently sold a 280ai in a manners stock. Only thing did not like about the stock was the relatively thin area of the butt.
Posted By: sigguy Re: Forbes 24b 280AI - 09/14/15
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

John,

Does Melvin no longer have any interest in Forbes Rifles at all? What can you tell us of his relationship with them these days?

It would be a shame if he were totally out of the picture there. I have heard that he will service/work on them though.

Thanks
Posted By: TomNula300WM Re: Forbes 24b 280AI - 09/14/15
My 300 WM Nula isn't bad to shoot at all, it does jump up a little but recoil isn't bad. I just sold my Remington 700 30-06 mountain rifle it would kick a lot harder than the Nula, and would leave bruises on me.
Posted By: ndhunterman Re: Forbes 24b 280AI - 10/17/15
Is forbes still using timney triggers? Who is making their barrels? I hate the roughness of the finish, but would love to find one cheap enough to justify ceracote..
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Forbes 24b 280AI - 10/17/15
I wouldn't buy one.

Buy the real thing, give Mr. Forbes a call.

Posted By: DLSguide Re: Forbes 24b 280AI - 10/18/15
I think for the money, the Forbes is a good rifle. I used to own a Rem. titanium in 270 and have now a Forbes 20b in 7mm/08 and I would take the Forbes any day. I would also take a Forbes over a Kimber too. Obviously, the original nulas will be better, but they are 3X's the price.
Posted By: Double_D Re: Forbes 24b 280AI - 10/18/15
If you can find a early jeweled bolt Forbes I think they are gtg, I have one in 25/06 and it is a laser. Don't know if Melvin's hands touched this one, but it is good for sure.
Posted By: Mtngroan Re: Forbes 24b 280AI - 10/18/15
Originally Posted by bonefish
I would like to shoot a NULA in 280AI. Would have some concerns about recoil. I hate brakes but am guessing that a 280 AI would be the ragged edge of manageable recoil with such a light gun. Concern would not be the discomfort just the amount of quick jump such a rifle would have.

I have a CLR/NULA 280 AI, was definitely wondering about kick. My gun weighs 6.8 lbs with a zeiss conquest. He must do something right with the stock, cause this thing is a pleasure to shoot.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Forbes 24b 280AI - 10/18/15
How is a Forbes?
Posted By: bellydeep Re: Forbes 24b 280AI - 10/18/15
Originally Posted by Ringman
How is a Forbes?

If you're asking about recoil, the stock is excellent, probably the same design as a NULA. Very pleasant to shoot.
Posted By: slm9s Re: Forbes 24b 280AI - 10/22/15
Recoil from my Forbes 30-06 is not bad at all.
© 24hourcampfire