Home
I was talking with a buddy today who is in the market for a new rifle in somethi by from 270-7mm RM. He wants wood and blued and wants to keep it under $600 for the bare rifle. My first thought was to buy used since that's what I do most of the time so I didn't know what to suggest.

What do you guys think? Ruger Hawkeye, Vanguard S2, Tikka, 700? I haven't bought a new rifle other than budget rifles in years so my pricing on them is way off.
Hawkeye
If he's thinking Vanguard, Howa now has a walnutted version of the Vanguard's twin, FWIW.
I don't think any of those would be UNDER $600 locally. Maybe in the $600's. Maybe a cheap Savage with hardwood stock. I'd just as soon have plastic. If it has to be walnut and blue I'd be looking at the used racks.
That's what I was thinking. If it were me I'd be looking for a used Winchester Fwt. It doesn't look like $600 buys much in a wood stocked new rifle now

Not too much available new in blue/walnut for under $600. You could probably get a Browning A-Bolt3 for $560. The Tikka and Hawkeye $650-$700.

Used, most likely find something decent for $600.

Shoot shortactionsmoker,(aka Darrik), a PM and see what he can do for you. He hooked me up with a walnut/blued Tikka Hunter for a reasonable price along with excellent service.

SD
CDNN has a number of Rugers that are under $600 for a blued/walnut rifle.
That's what I was thinking.

Not too hard to find a wood/blue Hawkeye under $600.

Yeah, $499 ain't too bad for the Hawkeye.

http://www.cdnnsports.com/280-hm77r-22-mat-wal.html#.VeeI1X2M-Ck

SD
Ruger Hawkeye.......
I couldn't give my CRF 06 Featherweight away here on the Fire for $600. Gave up.
I would look for a Ruger MKII, Hawkeye or model 70 Winchester. See if Dusty246 will still his. Darn good deal on a Winchester.
Originally Posted by Dusty246
I couldn't give my CRF 06 Featherweight away here on the Fire for $600. Gave up.

You gave up after 1 day. Give me a break.... Listed your rifle on 8-26-15 and then said it's going back in the safe on 8-27-15. Smart move as far as I'm concerned, because you had it priced too low to begin with...

"Yeah, $499 ain't too bad for the Hawkeye."

RUGER® M77® HAWKEYE® 280 WALNUT firearm

Manufacturer: RUGER®
Model: M77® HAWKEYE®
Caliber: 280 REM
Barrel Length: 22"
SKU: RUG37194
UPC: 736676371945
In Stock: 19 units

Regular Price: $549.99
Special Sale: $499.99
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Dusty246

You gave up after 1 day. Give me a break.... Listed your rifle on 8-26-15 and then said it's going back in the safe on 8-27-15. Smart move as far as I'm concerned, because you had it priced too low to begin with...

One day? You really dangled the carrot out there, didn't you.
Originally Posted by SD65

Yeah, $499 ain't too bad for the Hawkeye.

SD

Seems like the best deal available if wood/blue is a must have.
Definitely would choose a Tikka T3.

with Talley LWs of course.
Does he want matte or gloss blue, or does it matter? Most manufacturers seem to be going toward the matte blue, both my Ruger Hawkeye rifles are matte. I prefer gloss blue against nice walnut, but that combo is getting harder - and much more expensive - to find in new factory rifles.
I picked up a used M70 FWT in 270 (SC mfr) for less than that and it has become one of my favorites.
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
I picked up a used M70 FWT in 270 (SC mfr) for less than that and it has become one of my favorites.

That's what I'd do if it were my money (except I'd go 30-06) but it's his cash. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Yea there are some nice used ones out there if your at the right place at the right time. I recently bought an early 80's M70 XTR Sporter in 7mm Rem Mag for $475. But I had to pay shipping and an FFL transfer fee. Came to $522. Have you started a thread in the classifieds?

That Ruger Hawkeye is the deal for a new one though.
That CDNN deal must be over now. It's showing for $549. Still fits in the $600 range AND has integral bases and rings included.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=505424334
I would go for a used 700 before I would get a new Ruger.
Originally Posted by BlueRidgeHunter

Make sure if it is one of the millions recalled that the recall has been done.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Make sure if it is one of the millions recalled that the recall has been done.

I don't believe there is an issue with the Walker trigger. Mine will never go back as long as I own them.

Don't come crying to us when the bolt handle falls off or the trigger breaks in half. Or when the fingernail extractor fails.
Curious to see how many recalls ruger has had with their ruger 77 versus the Remington 700.. But I will go out on a limb and say zero for the ruger 77/MKII. Probably one of the most overlooked rifles out their on the used gun market are the push feed model 70's. They have great triggers, great safeties and their push feed is better than the model 700's. You can walk into plenty of gunshops and find a one priced right.

Don't come crying to us when the bolt handle falls off or the trigger breaks in half. Or when the fingernail extractor fails.

you are going full stupid on the magnitude of diaper don or safariman...
You could buy a synthetic stocked Marlin xl-7 brand new for less than 300.00 online and then order a Boyd's walnut stock for it for less than 450.00 total with shipping. Or do the same with a synthetic Savage 110 or Remington 700 from Wal-Mart. Either can be had for well under 600.00 with a Boyd's walnut replacement stock.
Originally Posted by toad

you are going full stupid on the magnitude of diaper don or safariman...

Nothing new.

You forgot to mention when it goes off all by itself....

Mossberg Patriot might be a good option to look into.
Lots of blued Vanguard S2s on GB for under $600, just not in walnut.

Forged action w/one-piece bolt, easy bolt takedown, great 2-stage trigger, good gas handling features. Guaranteed under an inch. It's an improved Howa (which didn't need much improving after all these years). Get a solid action now, spend a couple hundred on a new stock down the road, rather than upgrade the whole rifle later.

Got one in the pipe myself.

Originally Posted by Pappy348
Lots of blued Vanguard S2s on GB for under $600, just not in walnut.

Forged action w/one-piece bolt, easy bolt takedown, great 2-stage trigger, good gas handling features. Guaranteed under an inch. It's an improved Howa (which didn't need much improving after all these years). Get a solid action now, spend a couple hundred on a new stock down the road, rather than upgrade the whole rifle later.

Got one in the pipe myself.

Yep, and they handle like a crowbar taped to a cedar fence post and are just about as heavy.
The Howa Hogues are anvils, but I'm hoping the S2 is a bit more lively.

But for $600, you ain't gettin' a Kimber. I like the Hawkeye myself, but was just adding grist for the mill. At least the Vanguard's not a bunch of little MIM parts brazed together.
Wholesale Hunter has the CZ-557 in blued/walnut on sale for $568(as long as you don't mind 30-06)...don't think you'll find anything better at that price. I've had 2 CZ rifles and they were both scary accurate.
CDNN has Hawkeyes in .280 and .30/06 for $549.99.

I don't see how you can beat that. Add $7.00 for a trigger spring from Ernie the Gunsmith and you're all set.

I'll take my chances.
I got a EMail from CDNN last week with Ruger 77's @ $499...

I guess I Oughta read the WHOLE thread before posting sumthin tooo. Oh Well Asleep at the wheel one more time.
Ron
I talked to my buddy yesterday and after handling the Tikka, Ruger Hawkeye, Win 70, 700, AB3, AB2 and Xbolt, he decided to go with the Xbolt in 7mm RM. It wouldn't have been my first choice of rifle or caliber but it wasn't my money. He had to stretch his budget to almost $800 but he was happy and that's all that matters.
GOOD that he got to handle that kind of variety.
CZ is in the ballpark.
© 24hourcampfire