Home
When I discovered the R15 an affordable new rifle from Merkel, I wanted one! Currently there's little info on the R15. I even contacted Merkel USA after ordering an R15 in 9.3X62 and all they were willing to tell me is "Enjoy your new rifle".

I received the R15 a few days ago and here are my first impressions. Mine is plastic stock 9.3X62 Mauser. The rifle is light and weighs 6lb 6oz on my electronic postal scale. With a 22 inch barrel the OAL is 43 inches. The LOP approximately 14 inches. The barrel is fully free-floated with sharp rifling. There are no open sights and the round top action is tapped for Savage scope mounts. The plastic stock is light but fairly stiff, with a similar feel and look of the Ruger American, Remington 783 or Savage Axis. The stock is fairly ergonomic, but not as ergonomic as my Browning X-Bolt and has light stippling in the grip areas. The rubber recoil pad is medium soft and this stock has the largest molded in trigger guard I've ever seen! The removable magazine fits flush with the bottom of the rifle and there is a large plastic ambidextrous mag release. The steel and plastic magazine is a bit stiff to remove when empty, but mine is breaking in nicely.

The bolt has a large round plastic bolt knob on the handle. It's a sixty degree lift 3 lug design, push feed with plunger ejector and extractor similar to browning A-Bolt. The bolt can be disassembled and has a nice red dot cocking indicator. The bolt is locked closed with the 2 position safety on and there is a thin release tab that unlocks the bolt for safe unloading. The bolt is of larger diameter, similar to the Ruger American or Weatherby MK V and is pretty smooth with little wobble. The Tikka T3 perhaps a bit slicker, but the R15 bolt has a more solid feel. While the safety is positive, like the Tikka T3 a bit soft. By soft I mean easy to knock off when in brush.

The trigger is smooth and small and set around 3 pounds pull. The Tikka trigger has a slightly better look of quality, but the R15 trigger is superb and breaks clean like a glass rod!

So is the R15 a Keeper? Well, I like it! Obviously this is a rifle designed around a budget price point, resulting in a rather utilitarian piece. If you like fancy pretty rifles the R15 is not for you. It's a "Budget Gun" but quality made and more so than what the competition produces. Overall perhaps 1 notch below a Tikka T3? But with a T3 one has to change things, like add an aluminum bolt shroud and steel recoil lug. With the R15 there's nothing to change out except add a scope and go hunt!

The R15 is a serious hunting tool and looks all business. It shoulders and points well, as any "Hunters Rifle" should. Shouldered the bolt is very fast and smooth to operate. Even for a long action it's plain fast! Once you get used to the feel of the bolt, it's fast.

The R15 is a simple modern design, affordable yet well made. To me a quality hunting tool. The rifle was well packed in the factory box and comes with a 3 year warranty. When I called Merkel USA to get the address to send the warranty card to, (none was listed on the card or in the owners manual) I was told the rifle was imported by Steyr of Austria, yet made by Merkel of Germany. Again they knew little about the R15 and I expect we'll see some R15 gun magazine review articles soon.

Others here on the forums suggested that the R15 was of the Haenel Jaeger 10 rifle design, which I know nothing about, but will research. I like the 9.3 cartridge and know many 9.3 guys/gals would cringe at the R15 plastic stock. Yet I like it for it's slightly lighter weight. Also my choice of scope and mounts might not be of their liking either as a traditional African cartridge. I think a modern rifle should have a modern scope and mount, so I'm going with a DNZ Game Reaper 1 piece low 1 inch mount and a Leupold VX2 3-9X40 scope. The VX2 line is as modern as the DNZ mount and R15. Leupold got the VX2 right. My 3-9X40 weighs less than 11 ounces and is super clear and bright- a hunters scope for a hunting rifle! I just ordered 100 rounds Privi PPU 285 grain ammo to get started and hope my R15 package shoots straight! I fully expect it will as after all it's a Merkel!

P.S. I've tried several times adding photos with no luck. Seems difficult to do on this forum?

© 24hourcampfire