Home
Posted By: TATELAW Not Bad for a $275 Rifle - 09/23/15
Finally got to go shoot some groups with my new Marlin XS7 7mm-08. Got it a few weeks ago when Whittaker Guns had them on clearance. I bedded and floated it like all my rifles and painted the stock. Added some Talleys and a Nikon Monarch UCC 3-9x40.

[Linked Image]

This was my final group today. I know it's only 3 shots, not 5,10,15, whatever. Also got to load some more and see if I can repeat it, but it looks promising.

Sierra 140gr ProHunter, 49gr IMR4350, COAL 2.825, 2815fps avg. Easy extraction, primers look fine, and no other pressure signs.

[Linked Image]

For the life of me I can't understand why these rifles got discontinued and the Rem 783 is still being produced!!
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Not Bad for a $275 Rifle - 09/23/15
Agreed. Nice project and shooting. I am finishing a similar one with a Stevens 200. Will try your load
Posted By: NTG Re: Not Bad for a $275 Rifle - 09/23/15
My X7 was just like that...with the right load. Honestly the 783 isn't that different from the X7. They stole the trigger from the X7, put an uglier stock on it, but it's about the same.
Not bad at all.....
Posted By: bellydeep Re: Not Bad for a $275 Rifle - 09/23/15
Remington is apparently hell-bent on destroying Marlin
In my opinion, that was the best of the budget rifles. I'm sad to see it go, and that was a heck of a deal on a stainless rifle!
Posted By: Fotis Re: Not Bad for a $275 Rifle - 09/24/15
My daughters works great in 7mm-08.

[Linked Image]

Her 200 yard groups. 1.4"

[Linked Image]
All I've heard about have been excellent shooters.

Surprisingly, we still have some on the shelf. I bought all the 7-08's that Sports South had left in inventory a while back. I've honestly been surprised they've lasted this long. I thought they'd be gone in a week.
Posted By: MLC Re: Not Bad for a $275 Rifle - 09/24/15
Nice, I never heard anybody say anything bad about these rifles and have always wondered why they quit making them.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Not Bad for a $275 Rifle - 09/24/15
Originally Posted by MLC
Nice, I never heard anybody say anything bad about these rifles and have always wondered why they quit making them.

Some people have reported ejection problems. I think that they were a great entry-level/economy-grade rifles, maybe dollar for dollar the best ever. Certainly a superior design to anything from Mossberg and the Savage Axis. Or so it seems to me.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Not Bad for a $275 Rifle - 09/24/15
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
All I've heard about have been excellent shooters.

Surprisingly, we still have some on the shelf. I bought all the 7-08's that Sports South had left in inventory a while back. I've honestly been surprised they've lasted this long. I thought they'd be gone in a week.

Do you have any stainless left?

And, if so, what are you asking for them?
he does. $270.99 plus shipping
Posted By: TATELAW Re: Not Bad for a $275 Rifle - 09/24/15
I had read about them on here for a while when one of my close friends ask me to find her a deer rifle. She was on a budget, but I found her one of these in 243 with a decent Swift scope in a pawn shop for $250. I worked her up a load for the rifle with 95 NBTs and was so impressed I decided I had to have one if I ever found another deal on one.

This one is the second 7-08 I've had. I decided to have the first one, a blued version, converted to a fast twist 22-250 by re-barreling it with a 9 twist Stevens 223 barrel that I had re-chambered. I hope to have it back within the next week or so and I'll report back as to how it shoots, but I expect great things.

Another interesting fact. I have a stainless Tikka T3 Lite in 25-06 with the same scope and Warne rings. The Marlin weighs 7lbs 9oz and the Tikka 7lbs 8oz. It's not as light as a Montana, but I don't hunt mountains so 7 1/2 lbs is plenty light enough for my uses
Posted By: pointer Re: Not Bad for a $275 Rifle - 09/24/15
If only they made them in LH...
Posted By: 1Nut Re: Not Bad for a $275 Rifle - 09/24/15
Picked one up in 243. Installed a Weaver V9 and handloaded some 100 grain Sierras that it shoots 3 shots touching. Shoots 85 Barnes and 85 NPTs under and inch as well.

Tough to beat for any rifle, much less a low-cost bargain rifle.
Is it just me? Seems like very accurate, affordable rifles are falling off trees nowadays. What happened in the rifle world, and why weren't those gorgeous rifles of 40 years ago this good?
Posted By: Fotis Re: Not Bad for a $275 Rifle - 09/24/15
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=510017648

239.00 for a 270!
Posted By: 1Nut Re: Not Bad for a $275 Rifle - 09/25/15
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Is it just me? Seems like very accurate, affordable rifles are falling off trees nowadays. What happened in the rifle world, and why weren't those gorgeous rifles of 40 years ago this good?

The Remmy 788 is/was.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hook Re: Not Bad for a $275 Rifle - 09/28/15
Originally Posted by Fotis

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hey Fotis, is your girl shooting those 120 gr TTSXs I sold you? If so, I'm glad they worked out for her.
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona

The Remmy 788 is/was.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I have a 788 in 6mm Remington. Fun little shooter, but sadly I rarely do. I really should probably sell it, as I always take my Tikka 6mm instead, when I want something between the .223 and .308.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Not Bad for a $275 Rifle - 09/28/15
Originally Posted by Hook

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hey Fotis, is your girl shooting those 120 gr TTSXs I sold you? If so, I'm glad they worked out for her.

That group was with the 120 bts and varget
Tatelaw, owning several Marlin X rifles myself, I'm not surprised by the group you shot. Consider it a darn shame, that the Marlin X rifles was discontinued in favor of pushing the Rem 783 and keeping the Rem 770.
Posted By: Hook Re: Not Bad for a $275 Rifle - 09/28/15
Well shucks. Don't matter....that little girl can shoot!
Originally Posted by Hook

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That group was with the 120 bts and varget

I might just buy one. Can you share the load data?

P
© 24hourcampfire