Home
Posted By: blairvt Brno 21 - 10/01/15
I have a Brno 21, it's the full stock version, whatever it's called, on the way. Will standard Burris cz rings fit it? I've always wanted one of these so I'm pumped to get a scope mounted
Posted By: castnblast Re: Brno 21 - 10/01/15
The receiver profile is the same for the Brno 21/22, ZKK series, ZG-47 and the newer 550 series. Be aware that most of the Brno 21/22 rifles have a flat ( butterknife) bolt handle that requires the use of high rings. I own one of those, and also one of the very rare 21H rifles with a round knob, low mounted bolt. Those can take most medium height ring mounts. Leupold compact scopes have a small ocular ring and allow somewhat lower scope mounting.
FYI, the M21 is the longer barrel version, M22 is the carbine. F= full stock H= half stock
Enjoy your new rifle! I just used my 21H 8x57IS to take a bull elk a few days ago.
Posted By: blairvt Re: Brno 21 - 10/01/15
The one I got must be a 22F in 7x57, double trigger and butter knife handle. So I need to get high mounts and a small scope, or can I get by with a regular sized scope if I get the highs? I have a Burris ff II 3x9 I was going to use. May have to re think that one
Ps, I'd love to see some pictures of your Brno's
I predict regular / high should work, but you'd have to try to be sure, sorry! Pics? here you go...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I still have the double set triggers and original safety for the lower rifle, ( 22F 7x57) and it can be restored to original in a few minutes. But I prefer the Dakota safety and Recknagel single trigger. I had the middle rifle ( 21H, 7x64Brenneke) converted to the Dakota safety and Oberndorf style bolt handle by Ralf Martini. Top rifle ( 21H 8x57IS) was a real find, I only changed the safety to a Recknagel 3-position and refinished the stock.
Model 70 safety. Nice. Beautiful rifles
Posted By: Peator Re: Brno 21 - 10/01/15
Just to confirm- you are sure you have square bridges on your gun on the way? Lots of the 21s and 22s have round topped receivers.
Posted By: 65X54 Re: Brno 21 - 10/01/15
This is true, my 21f has a round topped receiver and has not been drilled for scope mounts.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Brno 21 - 10/01/15
Depends if you have the receiver for the factory mounts or the round top front ring?

This 21H came with the factory mounts and that are detachable to use the irons.

The scope is a Leu 3-9 Compact.

The safety is a Dakota I had added.

This barrel is 20.5" long and the rifle with scope weighs 7 1/2 lbs.

[Linked Image]
Good point about the round top versions, I forgot about them.

I'm sure it has the square bridge. Waited for a long time to find one in 7x57 with square bridge, DST and full stock.
Posted By: 65X54 Re: Brno 21 - 10/01/15
Nice find, I do enjoy the ones that I have. Are there other chamberings? smile The ones I have are 7x57 also.
Posted By: Peator Re: Brno 21 - 10/02/15
I am a big fan also. They definitely rank among the loveliest production guns. Even at the high prices they command I still think BRNOs are a bargain. As for the awful safety, I forgive them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SNAP Re: Brno 21 - 10/02/15
I have had several of these and several ZG-47s, still have 3 21/22s, 3 ZGs and one superb action of each. They, are not hard to find here in Canada and are among the finest actions ever made.

The roundtops are the early version and the integral scope bases are the later ones. The best of all are the last ones with the smallring, integral bases and ZG bolts with locking safety.

I do have one original roundbolt, one conversion by Martini and have never even seen a 21-ZG type in 50+ years of dealing with these.

For those who think a P-64-70 is the pinnacle of bolt hunting rifles, see one of these and see what IS the finest.
Posted By: blairvt Re: Brno 21 - 10/06/15
mine will be here Thursday. Do they come with 1" sling swivels or are they smaller like I've seen on some other European rifles?
Posted By: Autofive Re: Brno 21 - 10/07/15
I have a 21H round top 7x57,it has the sling swivels that measure 3/4" wide. I have been trying to find a decent sling that will fit but not having much luck.My gun has the G&H side mount installed by G&H with a 2-7 Leupold and the round bolt handle. It shoots very well,if you have the small screw that pulls the barrel down into the front of the stock adjusted just right.A question for those that have had the double set triggers changed out to a single,does the bottom metal where the trigger protrudes need to be changed?It appears that there would be a large open area left there by going to a single trigger.
Posted By: blairvt Re: Brno 21 - 10/07/15
anyone suggest a nice 3/4 sling?
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Brno 21 - 10/07/15
I shot the Brno 21H today and it remained sighted in with two 139 gr SST's 1" low at 200 yds with a 1" group. smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Brno 21 - 10/07/15
Originally Posted by blairvt
anyone suggest a nice 3/4 sling?

Mine came with that sling and it's .860" wide and fits the swivels. It looks like an old Euro sling.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Brno 21 - 10/07/15
Great. I finally find a nice "C" collar FN to slake my Mauser lust and you guys come up with something else to hanker after.

Maybe I should just skip ahead to an Oberndorf and stop futzing around.
Posted By: Hugh Re: Brno 21 - 10/08/15
I have 22f in 8x57 it is my favorite rifle.shooting 170 grn rn bullets imr 4064 or RL15 is what i use the most
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Brno 21 - 10/14/15
Originally Posted by SNAP
I have had several of these and several ZG-47s, still have 3 21/22s, 3 ZGs and one superb action of each. They, are not hard to find here in Canada and are among the finest actions ever made.

The roundtops are the early version and the integral scope bases are the later ones. The best of all are the last ones with the smallring, integral bases and ZG bolts with locking safety.

I do have one original roundbolt, one conversion by Martini and have never even seen a 21-ZG type in 50+ years of dealing with these.

For those who think a P-64-70 is the pinnacle of bolt hunting rifles, see one of these and see what IS the finest.

I compared the Brno 21 H 7-57 to one of the old M70 Featherweights I have and the smaller Brno is a handy rifle however I am used to the Winchesters. The stock on the M70 is somewhat 'thick' after you handle the slender M21.

The safety on the M70 is far superior. That's why I had a Dakota put on the M21.

The walnut on the M70 is of a high grade with great figure. The 21's is not.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That M70 of mine weighs 7#11oz with it's 4X Bear Cub in Buehler 2 pc mounts. The 21H goes 7# 9 oz in the original factory mounts.
Posted By: blairvt Re: Brno 21 - 10/14/15
Don't think I've seen a pre 64 70 with walnut like that from the factory
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Brno 21 - 10/14/15
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Alaska Arms

Have a chat with Morris, decent bloke...I find the high mount suffices for me as there is too little clearance for the medium even with the round bolt.

For some reason all the scope manufacturers seem to think we are all in desperate need of an excessively large ocular lens housing.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Brno 21 - 10/14/15

Oh, and do yourself a favour and replace the magazine follower with one from a VZ24 so as to keep all the Brno stamps...and bevel the rear edge so that you can close the bolt without pushing down on the follower.

That piece of tin is the only real downside of the model 21.
Posted By: blairvt Re: Brno 21 - 10/15/15
I just tried the Burris cz mounts and they don't work. I think there is a manufactung defect. The sides with the fixed dovetail don't match up
Posted By: Joe Re: Brno 21 - 10/16/15
Originally Posted by JSTUART

For some reason all the scope manufacturers seem to think we are all in desperate need of an excessively large ocular lens housing.

And really short tubes!!
© 24hourcampfire