Home
I tend to recommend Tikka T3s when people ask me what should I buy in this price range, especially if I know the guy will fire factory ammo and will probably never want to 'fine tune' the rifle.

But for some reason I cannot see myself buying one. I know they are accurate and built fairly decent, but there is something I just do not like about them. I have handled and shot quite a few T3s but it feels as if something is missing when I have one in my hands. I personally do not think they are in the same league as some of the older models but apart from that, something feels cheap about them.

I am not saying everyone here owning T3s have crappy rifles as we all know how they shoot and it seems like they get the job done. Just want know whether anyone else feels the same way? What is missing in the T3?

Cheers

Pieter

They are like the Glock of deer rifles to me.

My .308 shoots as well as some nice Palma rifles I've shot, but it has no soul.

That's fine, as it's a tool.
I bought one in 300wsm. It kicked like a pissed off mule.

It was the way it recoiled that threw me off ... real snappy.

Maybe just a fluke but I sold it the next week.

Not a fan. Even though they're apparently accurate and a good value, the luggette is just a big turn off.

Screams cheap, but so does most everything else made nowadays.
I am going to try one even though it was not my first or second choice in a 260. I was really looking at the Forbes or LAW rifles but they seem to have more issues than Outdoor Life.

The Tikka is one of the few rifles chambered in 260 that you can purchase at a reasonable price that is lightweight, with a 1:8 twist barrel that is at least 22" and has a MOA guarantee. If Kimber still offered a 260 in the Montana I would have gone that direction.

I've got one in .223 and they "Take some getting used to" for sure. Long action, bedding lug in the stock, cheap (but not as flimsy as Savage) plastic stock. Plastic magazine.

However, the trigger on mine adjusted right down to 2 pounds without some stupid paddle on the front of it and it shoots loads that I had already made up in the mid .5s.

I know 2 guys who bought them in .300WSM and both hated the recoil and traded them off....
The "soul" comment rings true with me, even though they are fine rifles.
Seriously? It's like saying "I can't warm up to a crescent wrench unless it handles like a Craftsman."

My wife carries a Sig 228, I carry two glocks for the same money.

She pays $$$ for mags, I pay next to nothing.

Shiznits hits the fan, there are Glock mags and parts everywhere, not so much for the Sig.

I'm in the process of converting to all Tikka t3 rifles or Ruger Americans. All are drills with respectable ammo, and I can have two to three for the price of one of the prettier guns.

I may keep a Kimber Montana around just for grins, but that's it.
I'm the opposite. Nothing else balances and floats in my hands like a T3. Not all plastics are created, or molded, equal. An H&K is a plastic gun, just like a Glock, but it's a different world of fit and finish. Tikka's plastic is a different world of fit and finish than any Savage, Ruger, or any other molded polymer I've seen.
I've been a fan of the T3 since my BIL bought one in .308 about 14 years ago. Not too much I don't like about them. The looks could use some improvement, but my only real downcheck is the small ejection port.
I love my T3 Lite in 30-06. It is a tackdriver. For $489, including a $175 scope and a $150 rebate that I used for 3 magazines, it is by far the best deal that I have ever had in a firearm.

It always feeds flawlessly. The trigger is light and breaks like an icicle. The stock recoil pad works fine with 30-06.
Magnum recoil is always going to be stout in a light rifle.

It is a modern hunting tool. No, it is not as interesting to look at as my Model 70's and Mausers, but I would much rather take it on a long hike.
I respect their performance, but don't care for the design and really don't like detachable magazines, especially ones that hang out the bottom. Now that the price has gone up, they're less of a bargain than before. Like the guy said, they have no soul. They're good rifles that appeal to me not a bit, except for their accuracy, which can be matched by ones that I like, if not quite so easily.

Unlike some folks around here, I'm content to enjoy what I like and allow others to do the same without taking it personally or trying to convert them to my way of thinking.
When thinking of a rifle with no soul, a Stevens 200 comes to mind. I have both a Tikka and a Stevens 200 and the Tikka is a Cadillac compared to the Stevens. Both are tack drivers but the Tikka does everything you want in a hunting rifle....It feeds like it has eyes and ejects positively. I can't same the same for the Stevens 200 which would frustrate me in a hunting situation if needing a quick follow-up shot and it not feed or eject positively.

With that said, the Tikka has a good fit and finish both in the plastic and in metal (i.e. no mold lines in plastic or machining marks in the metal).

If anything, Tikka misses the mark in going to a 1/10 twist in the .223 barrels and uses magazines that don't allow seating of long(er) bullets. For a shooting/hunting tool that's priced reasonably, no one can touch them right now in terms of boring dependability. Remington doesn't have and Ruger is well....Ruger.
Originally Posted by goalie

This is the way I feel 'bout 'em too. I have two. One is in 260 rem. The barrel is twisted correctly and all the 'plastic' has proven to be very tough. I have no qualms about dragging either over rocks and through briars. "Oh, look...another scratch...meh", as I toss it into the truck.
Originally Posted by m77
I tend to recommend Tikka T3s when people ask me what should I buy in this price range, especially if I know the guy will fire factory ammo and will probably never want to 'fine tune' the rifle.

But for some reason I cannot see myself buying one. I know they are accurate and built fairly decent, but there is something I just do not like about them. I have handled and shot quite a few T3s but it feels as if something is missing when I have one in my hands. I personally do not think they are in the same league as some of the older models but apart from that, something feels cheap about them.

I am not saying everyone here owning T3s have crappy rifles as we all know how they shoot and it seems like they get the job done. Just want know whether anyone else feels the same way? What is missing in the T3?

Cheers

Pieter

I feel the same. I own three and they shoot great, but guess I haven't warmed up to all of the plastic just yet. I definitely don't like the lugs, mine are chewed up. I'll flip them to a new edge once in a while. I plan to upgrade those eventually, but have to admit that it doesn't effect the function or accuracy of them.

I purchased the wood one that is stainless and fluted. Going to replace the stock with a plastic one to keep the weight down. Mine is going to be very utilitarian which is good for me because I have too many that I baby.
I resisted the force for a long time and have had vurtually several of everything else. I finally bought a 270 win T3 Lite and painted the stock to my liking with some Rusto multi-colored textured stuff that creates a a good "grippy" surface. Mounted up a Swaro w/BRH reticle in DedNutz 1PC mount. Did black Plasti dip on the bolt handle. It shoots my 140 AB loads into about .5. My go-to for most everything now and would not part with it. Solved that "sole-less" feeling for me. All others are gone except a 788 that I did a similar treatment on and it is my short-range gun.

Mike
I can't warm up to them either people who do swear by them. They just don't feel good and I don't like the looks, but they are supposed be tack drivers.
I'm trying hard not to like the T3, considering I bought it as a replacement for a MkV that took a [bleep] on me.

But it works too good, and frankly, cycles slicker than anything else I've racked a bolt on.

Seriously, hands down, like the bolt is running on ball bearings.

I've even tried to bind it up just to have something else to bitch about.

The only problem I've had is the magazines. Rounds end up hitting the front of the mags during recoil and breaking tips on the TTSX's I used. This was from the shooting bench.

Originally Posted by David_Walter
Seriously? It's like saying "I can't warm up to a crescent wrench unless it handles like a Craftsman."

I've said that, with the ante upped to my late father's forty+ year old Craftsman. The real good old stuff.
Originally Posted by Mac284338
I resisted the force for a long time and have had vurtually several of everything else. I finally bought a 270 win T3 Lite and painted the stock to my liking with some Rusto multi-colored textured stuff that creates a a good "grippy" surface. Mounted up a Swaro w/BRH reticle in DedNutz 1PC mount. Did black Plasti dip on the bolt handle. It shoots my 140 AB loads into about .5. My go-to for most everything now and would not part with it. Solved that "sole-less" feeling for me. All others are gone except a 788 that I did a similar treatment on and it is my short-range gun.

Mike

This is a good idea, to disguise its plasticky presence. Though it will likely cost you if you ever decide to sell it.

The T3's are attractive to me because, besides expected inherent accuracy and reasonable price, they are available in 6.5x55, a chambering I feel is the sweet spot.
Originally Posted by mathman

I've said that, with the ante upped to my late father's forty+ year old Craftsman. The real good old stuff.

I'm not that old, but it was a coming of age to realize that the Craftsman ratchets on the rack at Sears were not nearly as good as the ones my dad had bought for me in high school only about four years before.

The flat blade screwdriver that is my go-to for every car I work on was part of a set I got for Christmas in kindergarten. My dad was pretty good about that stuff. smile
It's interesting that you ask who cannot get themselves to like Tikka T3s and most of us come here to tell you we do. At first, I did not like the looks. Now, I actually like the looks. I thought about buying a B&C stock for the three that I have. Then I talked myself out of it because I would be doing it solely for appearances (which is O.K. too) instead of function. I've spent significant amounts of money to get rifles of all makes to get to shoot like my Tikkas. Maybe I should just start buying Tikka stocks and put them on those other rifles (tongue in cheek). Add to that a trigger that breaks like thin ice and a bolt that is slick as snot on a door knob, other than appearances, it's hard not to like them. I'm still a Kimber/Winchester and others snob; but, I have added four T3s in the past four years (just sold one here) because of all I have stated above.
I, like several others who have chimed in, can't get over the disposable feel of these guns. I am a big fan of the 595/695 series but the T3 just doesn't do anything for me despite its performance/cost ratio.
It's not that I don't like Tikkas. There's nothing wrong with them. I just see no reason to own one. Why would I get a Tikka instead of a Sako? Sometimes cheap stuff will do just fine, but I get more enjoyment out of the finer things. If I just viewed guns as tools, maybe the Tikka would appeal to me.
Design, simplicity, accuracy.. Hard to overlook when the majority of domestic rifles require so much work after the purchase to finish what the factory set out do do, just to get them to shoot and function almost as well as a Tikka.

My long guns being in storage after our house fire, I brought two Tikkas, a Ruger and a Kimber to the apartment for the season. The Ruger and Kimber to work on, the Tikkas to hunt with.

g
I have encouraged a small, young lady to get the youth model and it's worked well for her.

I'd trade three of em for that pre64 270 that Shrapnel slid out from under us last week......
I have tried to Like the Tikka T3 Super lite but
I just cant make myself like it.

The rifle shoots 3 into .75 inch with Factory ammo
The rifle fits me extremely well
The rifle had a 2.5 pound crisp trigger pull from the factory
The Bolt is slick as can be with no binding
The rifle weighs less than 7 pounds with scope and ammo

I held off getting one for a long time
But now that I have one I can tell you that something is missing.

Oh ,I think it may be
not having to do anything to it for it to be ready to be a fine hunting rifle other than just shoot it !

Naw I cant get myself to like it....................................................................................................................................
I love it !!!
None for me, thank you.
I don't like that you can't load cartridges into the magazine from the top.

A common dissing Tikka owners receive is "Ah, your ejection port's too small."
Seems to me that there are parts that look like they should fail, but never do. And as much as I like them, I still like my Remmies better.

Dunno...
For me it was an accuracy issue. I bought a T3 in 338 Fed when they first came out. I tried different factory loads, several different bullets and powders. Never could get it to shoot. That soured me on the T3 and never bought another.
They are nice rifles, although with the price climbing over the years there are a lot of other good options in the same price range.

I have owned a few, but never fired one . . . they didn't hold any interest for me.

In my sig line there is a quote from Mule Deer. It describes my feelings pretty well.
Saw a flyer today advertising T3s in 8X57MM caliber.
Originally Posted by m77

Cheers

Pieter

A tool is a tool... Some guys just prefer nicer tools than others... wink
Originally Posted by OlongJohnson
I'm the opposite. Nothing else balances and floats in my hands like a T3. Not all plastics are created, or molded, equal. An H&K is a plastic gun, just like a Glock, but it's a different world of fit and finish. Tikka's plastic is a different world of fit and finish than any Savage, Ruger, or any other molded polymer I've seen.

I hate plastic pistols too:
[Linked Image]
Yes, I can't bring myself to own one. For just a little more you can get a Weatherby Vanguard which looks and feels like quality and is as accurate.
It's Glock vs. 1911 all over again. Nice throwback to every gun rag of the 80's. Funny thing is everyone now makes a Tikka look alike, just as the DA triggers from Glock got imitated.

T-3's aint going anywhere for sure. Price them the same as RAR's and it'd be another story.

For a fella that doesn't hand load or tinker he's hard pressed to find better.
See different strokes... I think the Weatherbys are gawd awful. I will never own one.
I like mine but I will say I like the way a Remington feels just a bit better
Im in the process of getting all the pieces gathered up for a 6.5-06 build. But then I go out to sight in my 25-06 tikka that shoots 3 100 grain Ballistic tips into 1 hole and wonder why didnt I just buy a Tikka in 6.5x55 and order a good stock for it?

My load work up for this 25-06 Tikka is as follows. Pick a bullet, Pick a appropriate powder, RL22 RL17 Imr4350 H4350 It dont matter. Load appropriate amount of powder behind chosen bullet. Set OAL to whatever the manual says for that bullet. Load magazine with said load and proceed to shoot a 3 shot group under 1".

I ran 117 hdys 117 sierras 100 hdys 100 sierras 100 BT's 100 partions 90 sierra bthp thru this gun and any of the above mentioned powders and it always puts em under and inch.

It just really like the Ballistic tips and RL17. I have seen the same with friends .243's

It is getting harder and harder not to like this gun.
Just curious how is the speed with your 25-06 and the 22 inch barrel
I have just recently shot one in 30-06. It was the worst kicking 06 I have ever shot. The recoil pad was very hard rubber that narrowed towards the back. It was like driving a wedge into my shoulder. I would rather shoot my 300 H&H with a steel buttplate. The fella who owns it is a new shooter and was having trouble with consistant accuracy. He now has a Limbsaver on it. From what he says he is shooting much better now.
Originally Posted by pseshooter300
Just curious how is the speed with your 25-06 and the 22 inch barrel

Mine pushes a 110NAB at 3160 with RL22.
ive got a t3 Hunter model in .308. really like it. shoots great and i actually like how it looks, however my next rifle ive been looking at a couple sakos or a kimber
I own one in .30-06. It is pretty boring since it shoots the cheapest Federal Blue box into sub MOA groups, does not change poi with heavy sling tension, and the Burris scope it came with is dead on with the trajectory compensating reticle. Basically, zero the gun, confirm it is working at longer ranges, then hunt. I did not have to file on magazine boxes, torque action screws, mess with acraglass, use a dremel, lap anything with valve grinding compound, or try 27 different powder/bullet/seating depth combos. Boring.
Pseshooter. Im getting right at 3200 with the 100 grns. Havent clocked the 117's.
I do not care fore the palm swell. Even the B&C stock for the T3 has it! I hate the feel of one mostly because I shoot lefty using right handed rifles.
Seriously, how many here would really choose the tikka over a sako? For the money, the tikka is great, but for my money, I'd rather have the Sako.
I'll pass unless it's a stainless CTR.
Besides having to replace butt pad with limb saver there is nothing the gun needs. At first I wasn't in love with the look but it grew on me and now I really like the simplicity and practicality of the rifle. I did paint the stock on one of them and it Enhanced the look.
the wife's puts 3 95gr fed fusion into 1/2" at 100.
I go along with the "soul" thing. I've had T3s in 243, 7-08, 30-06 and 6.5x55 Swede. They all were great tools, but lacked "soul" or whatever you want to call it, with one exception. My 6.5x55 is in the Hunter version and I guess it's the wood stock that gives it just enough soul to keep it around. The rest have been traded/sold.

Being a Harley rider it reminds me of the Harley Ultra vs Honda Goldwing debates. To me the Honda just has no soul. (Yes, I've owned Hondas in the past). What the Honda does, it does wonderfully, but something is lacking.

Hard to put your finger on it, but as with the H-D / Honda debate the Tikka / Other bolt gun debate all I can say is;

"If I have to explain it you wouldn't understand anyway"

smile

Depends a bit on personality of the owner. Some people appreciate tools that are finely made, some people just want it to be utilitarian. Call it soul if you want, probably as good a term as anything.

To me, if I am sitting for a couple hours in a stand, or making a slow still hunt, I want to carry a rifle that is pleasing to me.

Have handled a few Tikkas, and they just didn't do it for me.
A. Toyota, Glock, Tikka

B. Chevy, 1911, Remington

The only difference between A and B is the tools and time to make B act like A.

And patriotism.

I think we cannot for one moment say the Tikka would not get the job done equally well as most other rifles but guess the world would have been an extremely boring place if everybody liked the same thing.

I think the 'soul' comment describes it well for me. I do understand that as a tool the Tikka gets it done but there are certainly some nicer tools out there that might just contribute to the experience as a whole.

Pieter
What are the differences between the T3 and the A7?
They're lighter than my Tikka 695 but, just don't seem as well built to me. I can't warm up to the all plastic magazine or the checkering (panels) on the wood stocked models. Also, I want a SA cartridge to be on a SA gun. I have no doubt that they shoot as good as everyone claims. Plus there's not a cal. they make that I want; that I don't already have at least one of.
Feelings.....nothing more than feelings....
Change out the stock, I got the B&C for my 243 and it made it feel much better. So now I can live with it and its ability to put 3 into .310 @ 100 yards.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting" Townsend Whelen
Interesting out of all these post only one person complained about not getting good accuracy...I might have to try a Tikka someday !
Dollar to a donut it wasnt sitting all the way on the lug or a scope base fastener was hitting the bolt.

Have seen both.
I'm not interested in any Tikka rifles. That's because of where I hunt and what they I need my rifles to do.
If all I hunted were small varmits and the conditions were pleasant, one would be a good or even great choice.
But I don't do that kind of hunting. My guns need to fuction under constant dusty conditions. They may need to fuction perfectly after hunting under these conditions for many days then endure rain and freezing temperatures. Or really cold temperatures.
Rifles with the Tikka style extractors and ejectors have given me lots of fits over the years. No, they weren't Tikkas, they were Remingtons.
Another area that I've seen or had problems with are triggers and safeties. Usually cheap rifles have triggers that are hard to clean and can't be adjusted much if at all.
The rifles I prefer all have open trigger designs that are fully adjustable. These come, or have come, on rifles made by Ruger, Winchester and some of the Mausers.
It isn't an accident that Rugers and pre-64 style Winchesters are popular the world over by knowledgable hunters that hunt under togh conditions.
As to accuracy, I like it as much as anyone. But experience has taught me that even a 2.5 MOA rifle and load will work. But if the bolt stop fails, or the trigger goes sour on an extended hunting trip, I'm SOL. E
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
I'm not interested in any Tikka rifles. That's because of where I hunt and what they I need my rifles to do.
If all I hunted were small varmits and the conditions were pleasant, one would be a good or even great choice.
But I don't do that kind of hunting. My guns need to fuction under constant dusty conditions. They may need to fuction perfectly after hunting under these conditions for many days then endure rain and freezing temperatures. Or really cold temperatures.
Rifles with the Tikka style extractors and ejectors have given me lots of fits over the years. No, they weren't Tikkas, they were Remingtons.
Another area that I've seen or had problems with are triggers and safeties. Usually cheap rifles have triggers that are hard to clean and can't be adjusted much if at all.
The rifles I prefer all have open trigger designs that are fully adjustable. These come, or have come, on rifles made by Ruger, Winchester and some of the Mausers.
It isn't an accident that Rugers and pre-64 style Winchesters are popular the world over by knowledgable hunters that hunt under togh conditions.
As to accuracy, I like it as much as anyone. But experience has taught me that even a 2.5 MOA rifle and load will work. But if the bolt stop fails, or the trigger goes sour on an extended hunting trip, I'm SOL. E

E (Rocklin), the fact that you keep posting at all is rather amazing. That you come off as an expert, or attempt to do so, is even more amazing.

You'd think that someone who NARROWLY avoided prison time for back shooting an unarmed man, then planting evidence to try to make it "righteous" would STFU and NOT make a spectacle of themselves.

Of course, you've done the opposite here for years; first in an attempt to paint yourself as a retired LEO (you didn't retire, you were fired and never worked law enforcement after that again) and handgun/CCW expert (you just got that privilege back after MANY years of being banned). Now, you're pontificating on rifles and hunting, espousing what "knowledgable hunters that hunt under togh conditions" (hint, learn to spell) use.

What experience should have taught you is that you probably aren't to be trusted around firearms and that you certainly are no "expert" on anything, save shooting unarmed men in the back and then failing miserably to plant enough evidence to get away with it.

People who want advice around here, and just about anywhere, generally want it from people who actually know what they are talking about and aren't simply making it up. That would rule you out, and there's another hint there - if you can catch it.

For the record, in case folks are interested:

http://jfk.hood.edu/Collection/White%20Materials/San%20Quentin/San%20Quentin%20312.pdf

http://stanforddailyarchive.com/cgi...0&e=-------en-20--1--txt-txIN-------

A little more (pay attention to details):

Bad Cop: Convicting a cop, nearly impossible... California - It's been more than three decades since a police officer faced criminal charges for fatally shooting someone in Santa Clara County.

As a county grand jury considers this week whether to charge a San Jose officer in the July shooting death of a Vietnamese woman, the long-ago case of former officer Rocklin Woolley illustrates the long odds involved in trying an officer for killing in the line of duty.

"It's always hard for a jury to convict an officer, particularly in our county, where the public has a high opinion of police,'' said Dave Davies, a retired prosecutor who unsuccessfully sought to convict Woolley of felony manslaughter.

Woolley's case bore many similarities to the July 13 shooting of Bich Cau Thi Tran by San Jose police officer Chad Marshall. Both shootings drew public outrage and involved victims who were not white. The officers said they acted in self-defense and were accused of overreacting with deadly force to a harmless threat.

But what is especially telling about the failed prosecution of Woolley is that in some ways, his behavior seems more difficult to justify than that of Marshall, the officer in the Tran case. While Marshall faced a woman wielding a large, sharp instrument -- which turned out to be a vegetable peeler -- Woolley shot an unarmed man who was running away from him.

Woolley was a 27-year-old patrol officer when he stopped motorist John Henry Smith Jr., 37, for allegedly making an illegal U-turn Sept. 19, 1971. Smith, a black IBM research technician on his way home from a date, angrily protested the traffic stop when two off-duty officers who lived nearby happened on the scene.

Police said Smith threatened the officers with a tire iron. Woolley said he tried to subdue Smith with tear gas, then sent his police dog after him as he slipped free and fled toward an apartment complex.

As Smith reached the apartments, Woolley fired a single shot from his .45-caliber pistol, killing the unarmed man. Woolley later said he acted in self-defense, fearing Smith would arm himself once inside the apartments.

Community tension prompted calls for outside investigations. Two months later, a grand jury indicted Woolley on charges of manslaughter and using illegal tear gas.

At Woolley's trial, Davies told jurors the unarmed Smith posed no threat when he was shot. There was evidence Woolley threatened to kill Smith for suggesting he would sue over being tear-gassed. And officers said Smith had brandished a tire iron, but the tire iron turned out to fit one of their cars, not Smith's.

Then-Police Chief Robert Murphy said afterward that he no longer believed Woolley was justified in the shooting. Woolley, who was later fired along with another officer, lives in Placerville and declined comment. The city paid $30,000 to settle lawsuits on behalf of Smith's three children.

http://www.bikernet.com/pages/October_23_2003_Part_2.aspx
The Finns have just a bit of experience building quality rifles with a reputation for functioning flawlessly in freezing temperatures. And I've never heard of any fatal flaws in these Tikkas. But of course I'd rather have the Sako. smile
I've been thinking about buying a T3 in 7mm rem mag, but just can't get past the 9.5 twist !
Originally Posted by pal
The Finns have just a bit of experience building quality rifles with a reputation for functioning flawlessly in freezing temperatures. And I've never heard of any fatal flaws in these Tikkas. But of course I'd rather have the Sako. smile

If I was in a survival type of situation or hunting dangerous game I would want a pre-64 style Winchester or a Mauser. but I am not and love shooting little groups at 1/4 of what a custom rifle would cost
E

No heartburn with your past experiences but you may want to consider what some professionals in Africa have discovered about these rifles. Perhaps things have improved?

To quote:
"I have seen Sako/Tikka rifles run strings of 2000 rounds with no cleaning except for a wipe down. The same rifles had their barrels cleaned for the first time at around 4000 rounds, at no stage was the action cleaned up until the rifles were retired at 12 000 rounds. The only failures that come to mind was the plastic magazine of the Tikka that stopped feeding. Setback on the Tikka recoil lug, a common problem with the standard aluminum recoil lug. The rifles were all fired in rapid strings of 20 to 40 shots per session, time in between strings was around 5 minutes. I ran another CRF gun next to the Sako/Tikka rifles, after 2400 rounds it failed to eject, new extractor was fitted and gave no problems after that, rifle retired at 4000 rounds. I have had a new Sako fail to eject and I have had a new CZ fail to feed."

In torture testing they did have one bad Tikka magazine. I also replaced the aluminum lug on mine with a stainless one, just in case. Wasn't expensive.

The source can be found here
http://www.africahunting.com/thread...sconceptions-the-push-feed-action.18069/
Originally Posted by 16bore
A. Toyota, Glock, Tikka

B. Chevy, 1911, Remington

The only difference between A and B is the tools and time to make B act like A.

And patriotism.

That's comical, at best. Haha.
Originally Posted by MERWIN
E

No heartburn with your past experiences but you may want to consider what some professionals in Africa have discovered about these rifles. Perhaps things have improved?

To quote:
"I have seen Sako/Tikka rifles run strings of 2000 rounds with no cleaning except for a wipe down. The same rifles had their barrels cleaned for the first time at around 4000 rounds, at no stage was the action cleaned up until the rifles were retired at 12 000 rounds. The only failures that come to mind was the plastic magazine of the Tikka that stopped feeding. Setback on the Tikka recoil lug, a common problem with the standard aluminum recoil lug. The rifles were all fired in rapid strings of 20 to 40 shots per session, time in between strings was around 5 minutes. I ran another CRF gun next to the Sako/Tikka rifles, after 2400 rounds it failed to eject, new extractor was fitted and gave no problems after that, rifle retired at 4000 rounds. I have had a new Sako fail to eject and I have had a new CZ fail to feed."

In torture testing they did have one bad Tikka magazine. I also replaced the aluminum lug on mine with a stainless one, just in case. Wasn't expensive.

The source can be found here
http://www.africahunting.com/thread...sconceptions-the-push-feed-action.18069/

I would have loved to see the barrels of those rifles after the test.

Pieter
Fragility and failure of the Tikka will likely come as news to these guys. I guess they think they are tough and rugged enough for continuous wilderness duty.
Originally Posted by K1500
Fragility and failure of the Tikka will likely come as news to these guys. I guess they think they are tough and rugged enough for continuous wilderness duty.

What is your experience that the Tikka didn't fit your tough and rugged expectation? I have not heard anything bad about the Tikka except the plastic bolt shroud and the lack of stiffness of the synthetic factory stock. Oh, and the factory rings are not good quality on hard recoiling rifles.

Allen
Read my post again, it is a defense of the ruggedness of the Tikka. Other posters suggested the Tikka is fragile. While I have not put my Tikka personal through anything more strenuous than a sunny day at the range, I assume the Canadian Arctic Rangers did, or they would not have adopted it. That's a good enough endorsement for me.
Ok, thanks.

I wasn't following who "these guys" are.

I expected to learn a new negative to the Tikka, glad I misunderstood what you typed.

Allen
I'd be curious to hear what the smiths are saying that are building off of them.

Other than "I'll be home early tonight"
Love my CTR, makes my more expensive guns look silly. Thing shoots everything you feed it MOA with no effort.
I respect them but cannot bring myself to like them. They feel like a cheap econo rifle, even though they aren't. If I didn't have a Remington Classic in 8x57, I might be persuaded to buy one of the new Tikkas in that chambering simply because of lack of rifles in 8mm.
I can only report my experiences w/a T3 Lite 270 Win. I bought it new in 2003. No loading for accuracy problems. No problem whatever of maintaining Zero. No problems with trigger, breaks like icicles. No problem with recoil lug-at all. No problem of hunting/handling for hours on end. No problem with rust-none.

It has stacked up an enviable number of deer.

I've had good looking wood stocked rifles that WERE not nearly as accurate. HAD is the operative word.

I define SOUL as --- dependable and accurate. My Tikka T3 SS has SOUL. It AINT for sale!!!!!!

Jerry
I bought into the t3 rep after hearing so many good reports...My report is good also sub MOA for 30/06
I don't come on here much anymore, but I'll comment on this..

E is an idiot.

It will take some serious work to kill a tikka. More than his imagination can ever accomplish.
I'm still in a amazement how someone can be absolutely caked with bulls for weeks and never get a shot off, all the while posting on the internet at 1:00 pm every day to tell the tales of his strenuous hunts.

I have had 4 tikkas. 3 shoot lights out. The 4th just got bought back by the factory. Chit happens. It wasn't the lug or the mounts or the magazine or shroud. I'll buy another. But this check is going towards a new 20 ga. shotgun. Probably a Benelli Monte.
RL,

I just picked up a Benelli Monte in 20ga. Damn nice little shotgun.

As far as the Tikkas go, as I posted before, I see them as tools much more than my very nice wood M70s, etc. A scratch or two obtained from very rugged use is of no consequence. BUT they are rugged and relaible. I would put one up against any rifle in cold, dust, mud, snow, etc. Anyone who says these rifles are not dependable are just blowing crap out of their arse.
Originally Posted by postoak
Yes, I can't bring myself to own one. For just a little more you can get a Weatherby Vanguard which looks and feels like quality and is as accurate.

Originally Posted by Ken_L
See different strokes... I think the Weatherbys are gawd awful. I will never own one.

I've had three Vanguards. One was ? Weatherguard ? don't remember exactly the model name. They were all very good rifles. The wood stocked ones were HEAVY. I'll take LIGHT over heavy every day.

Yes, different strokes....

Jerry

My wife carries a Sig 228, I carry two glocks for the same money.

She pays $$$ for mags, I pay next to nothing.

Shiznits hits the fan, there are Glock mags and parts everywhere, not so much for the Sig.

I'm in the process of converting to all Tikka t3 rifles or Ruger Americans. All are drills with respectable ammo, and I can have two to three for the price of one of the prettier guns.

I may keep a Kimber Montana around just for grins, but that's it.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I carry a G19 that was made in 1994 (gotta love the no finger groove, two pin frames) and hunt with my Tikka. It just isn't sexy.

Sexy doesn't kill chit anyhow......
Tikka's feed slick and are accurate and in my limited experience, having hunted one season exclusively with one, reliable.

A couple of weeks ago, I pulled my latest '06 Tikka out of the box, installed 16Bore's rings and a 3-9 Conquest and headed to the range. I decided to do the clean and shoot break in method because sometimes I feel it helps a new barrel settle in and start shooting well more quickly. Though, I don't always do it, I don't always trust a barrel is shooting its best until it has 100 rounds or so for this reason. Usually, after 4-10 rounds of shooting using this clean/shoot method, copper fouling will drop dramatically and then I start shooting groups. The drop in fouling is rumored to be because the throat starts smoothing up, but I can't confirm that.

I shot the first shot and cleaned and no copper, second shot and cleaned and no copper and same with the third. I then shot a five shot group, which went 1/2" with a Nosler Partition load worked up for an expensive custom CRF rifle I have been pulling my hair out to get shoot less than 2" with any load.

Downside, I don't like not easily being able to see into the chamber through the small ejection port. Even with a limbsaver pad, I think they recoil hard, but maybe the stocks don't fit me as well as they do some. I don't like the plastic bolt stop, but I have not had one break, which is something I cannot say for three well known, $3,000 custom lightweight rifles built on downsized, custom actions.
Thems Tikka T3's look absolutely gorgeous in jet black Manners Elite Hunter stock - ings !

The "no soul" part is more applicable to those butt fugly Savages !
no amount of Manners lipstick or McMillan eye shadow can create convincing beauty, even if they steal Victorias secret .......
Between my Daughter and me we have 4 Tikkas of which she has three. A 308 hunter with cut down stock, Edwards recoil reducer. Limbsaver pad of Leupold scoped in 308. Her second is a 7mm mag lite again with limbsaver and Leupold. Her last one is a 7mm-08 lite compact again with a Leupold scope. You can't tear this one out of her hands she loves it so much. Which help the less than good stock I put on a got a grip cheek pad and finger grip strip and it really helped when mounting the rifle.
All right, 4ager, that's enough. You are a lair.
You neglected to tell all that the man I killed had to be stopped by me at gun point from working over an off duty cop with a tire iron.
Said Bad Guy refused to submit to arrest. All lessor means of force failed. As per California case law at the time, 1971, "Police Officer have a duty to arrest those persons they have reasonable cause to believe have committed violent felonies, EVEN IF THEY HAVE TO KILL THEM WHILE IN FLIGHT."
After a long trial, from 1-2-72 until 2-4-72, they took a whole four and one half hours to reach a verdict of not guilty on both counts.....
Oh, and you forgot to tell all that I was also indicted for having an uncertified tear gas weapon. I was aquitted of that on the grounds of selective proscecution. In other words, we were ordered to ignore the law. So, probably ever cop in California had violated that law. I was the only one charged with that crime.
Now, you can believe the jury, or how about the polygraph exams which the two other cops took and passed as to what really happend. Or you can continue to tell lies about a case that was settled over 40 yrs. ago.
Oh, and I've never had my gun rights revoked or reinstated. E
Originally Posted by coyote268
Between my Daughter and me we have 4 Tikkas of which she has three. A 308 hunter with cut down stock, Edwards recoil reducer. Limbsaver pad of Leupold scoped in 308. Her second is a 7mm mag lite again with limbsaver and Leupold. Her last one is a 7mm-08 lite compact again with a Leupold scope. You can't tear this one out of her hands she loves it so much. Which help the less than good stock I put on a got a grip cheek pad and finger grip strip and it really helped when mounting the rifle.

15 minutes with a rounded off soldering tip and the grip is mo grippy....

after and before, noted...

[Linked Image]

And here's shot's #2, slight windage adjustment, then #3, #4, and #5 out of a brand new rig with off the rack 75gr Horny's

Soul patrol.....

[Linked Image]

and 52's and 50's. Still no soul..

[Linked Image]

And 80's and 50's

[Linked Image]
And a boring 30-06 and Scenars.

Ass-soul

[Linked Image]
Better get rid of that one. It will eat at your soul until you can get it to shoot decent.
Originally Posted by Ken_L
What are the differences between the T3 and the A7?

lots.......

http://www.biggamehunt.net/reviews/sako-a7-review
Differences based on that article? Yes. Advantages? Doesn't appear to be.
Differences based on that article? Yes. Advantages? Doesn't appear to be.

This
A fella with an '06 Tikka, SWFA, and a case of the new 178 ELD-X ammo would be on a long range gravy train.....
Mine has about about 80 souls - ~30 deer/antelope/elk, ~50 coyotes.... and counting.

Originally Posted by goalie

People like rifles for different reasons, and they dislike rifles for probably just about as many reasons. Tikkas just don't appeal to me.

I don't dislike them, but neither do I like them enough to buy one. If someone gave me one, I would probably shoot it to see how it shot. I doubt that I would keep it, as I have rifles that I really like, for a variety of reasons, that shoot really well--probably as good as or better than your average Tikka.

Why that should make me good or bad, smart or dumb, in anyone's estimation escapes me.
I have owned a number of Tikka T3. 1-222, 1-223, 1-243, 3-6.5x55,1-25.06, 1-270wsm, 1-308, 1-338 Federal, 2 -300wsm.

Blued, Stainless, Laminate, Wood and Synthetic stocked. tried the B&C stock and a Boyd's Prairie Hunter stock as well. 2 of them had the set trigger option which was pretty slick.

They all shot well........

Have sold or traded them all, not sure just what it is, but I just don't like them enough to keep them.

Flyer

Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
I don't come on here much anymore, but I'll comment on this..

E is an idiot.

It will take some serious work to kill a tikka. More than his imagination can ever accomplish.
I'm still in a amazement how someone can be absolutely caked with bulls for weeks and never get a shot off, all the while posting on the internet at 1:00 pm every day to tell the tales of his strenuous hunts.

I have had 4 tikkas. 3 shoot lights out. The 4th just got bought back by the factory. Chit happens. It wasn't the lug or the mounts or the magazine or shroud. I'll buy another. But this check is going towards a new 20 ga. shotgun. Probably a Benelli Monte.

He stalks everything backwards just to give game animals a fighting chance........
Its tough, if not impossible, to beat the Tikka plastic stock in its price range. Same for the trigger. Add Warne steel rings with the recoil lug and the scope mounting is practically bombproof.

Never had an issue with the luggette or shroud, but wish there was a baffle in there somewhere.

That said, I can understand Pieter's view. I sold five Tikkas and don't miss them one bit. A couple buds bought Tikkas based on my luck. They love the T3 and have no plans to change.
I couldn't........until I found a LH Hunter in 6.5x55. Have yet to shoot it.
Like Remington rifles, the T3 is the 770 of the Finn family.
Originally Posted by RDFinn

That was mean!

A lot more to like in a T3 than 770.

David
770 is Remington's failed attempt to make a Tikka. Seems everyone is trying to reverse engineer the thing.
After reading several people say that they dont know why they either dont like them OR had them an got rid of them I have a theory.

Good rifle,shoots good,good trigger,Lightweight ,etc.

Doesn,t leave much to bitch about first off

Then the owner cant fix something that works fine

Could be this Really makes the owner feel meaningless as they dont require your "SPECIAL" tweaks to trigger,barrel,stock or anything else to work right.

Seems as some would rather take a dog of a rifle and do all the barrel changing,swapping of triggers and stocks etc than just have a rifle that is fine as it is.

I know from years of tinkering that it is fun and satisfying to go through all the motions to get a rifle to shoot well and be just what you want it to be at the time.

BUT there is also something to be said to forego all this and just have a rifle that is good right from the box !!

Hey there is still plenty of other stuff to ponder,which handload or factory load for best performance(accuracy and terminal)which sling and swivels,which scope mounts,whether to be satisfied with the crisp 2.5 pound pull out of the box or spend thirty minutes to do the cost-less mods to get a 1.5 pound pull !
Which scope,the ,Meaning of life etc. LOL

Originally Posted by Canazes9
Originally Posted by RDFinn

That was mean!

A lot more to like in a T3 than 770.

David

Take a T3/770, throw a Roopold 3-9 scope on it, and you'd have a nice stocking stuffer for X-Mas.....
Originally Posted by coyote268

15 minutes with a rounded off soldering tip and the grip is mo grippy....

after and before, noted...

[Linked Image]

I went a different route. Sand away all the 'Euro look', then hydro-dip and finish with Brownells's grip spray, then a flat sealer.

[Linked Image]
me
My checkbook sure doesn't like them...

I'd be better off if I could be satisfied with the basic blued version but I really like the Superlites. If SW has a good sale on them between now and Xmas I think a new .243 SL might be coming home.

Sure it's a 10" but I can live with those 95 BT (I mean I don't have to shoot 105 Amaxs ...right?). grin
I don't dislike them. I just don't care for the styling and I try to buy American when I can, especially lately with all the jobs going overseas. I have mostly Rugers but also Winchester (South Carolina built), Kimber and Savage. They all will shoot MOA or better with the right loads.
You neglected to tell all that the man I killed had to be stopped by me at gun point from working over an off duty cop with a tire iron.
Said Bad Guy refused to submit to arrest. All lessor means of force failed. As per California case law at the time, 1971, "Police Officer have a duty to arrest those persons they have reasonable cause to believe have committed violent felonies, EVEN IF THEY HAVE TO KILL THEM WHILE IN FLIGHT."
After a long trial, from 1-2-72 until 2-4-72, they took a whole four and one half hours to reach a verdict of not guilty on both counts.....
Oh, and you forgot to tell all that I was also indicted for having an uncertified tear gas weapon. I was aquitted of that on the grounds of selective proscecution. In other words, we were ordered to ignore the law. So, probably ever cop in California had violated that law. I was the only one charged with that crime.
Now, you can believe the jury, or how about the polygraph exams which the two other cops took and passed as to what really happend. Or you can continue to tell lies about a case that was settled over 40 yrs. ago.

The tire iron you planted as evidence that matched YOUR vehicle and not his?

Yeah, that one.

So "not guilty" your chief fired your ass and said you were untrustworthy, then had settlement claims paid. Wonder why?

After 40 years, you're still full of schit.

The links I provided are there, ya back-shooting SOB.

Oh, and you're still FOS on rifles as much so as handguns, for the same reason(s).
that's about enough of that crap here.
You're right, toad.

Apologies. The facts are out there.
That's some pretty f'ed up stuff.
Originally Posted by toad
that's about enough of that crap here.

Originally Posted by 4ager
You're right, toad.

+ 3

Jerry

So you, your dog and Illegal Tear Gas couldn't subdue a person?

You shoot the dude running AWAY afraid that he will rearm himself, with what a shovel this time???

In my mind, I see Barney Fife shaking like a leaf reaching for his one bullet in his shirt pocket. Trying to put a bullet in his pistola sounding like teeth chattering...

Really E, can't you do better than that.

On all the reading I have done on your case, you're damn lucky it wasn't done in 2011 instead of 1971, you would be serving life for what you have done!!!
dude, zip it. this schitt doesn't belong here.
Originally Posted by mudhen
People like rifles for different reasons, and they dislike rifles for probably just about as many reasons. Tikkas just don't appeal to me.

I don't dislike them, but neither do I like them enough to buy one. If someone gave me one, I would probably shoot it to see how it shot. I doubt that I would keep it, as I have rifles that I really like, for a variety of reasons, that shoot really well--probably as good as or better than your average Tikka.

Why that should make me good or bad, smart or dumb, in anyone's estimation escapes me.

As usual Ben, you are making too much sense.
If you don't like your T3, here's a good use for it.

Pick a random load out of the manual or some loads you have worked up for a different rifle in the same cartridge. Throw the Tikka and these loads in the vehicle next time you got to the range to work up loads. If you are like me, it will be one of several rifles for the day. Leave it in the vehicle when you get the rest out.

If you have a great day at the range and everything shoots well, leave the Tikka in the truck. However, if you a having one of those days when none of your loads seem to be working, go get the Tikka. Shoot it last before heading home for the day. At least you'll head home feeling good about your shooting and reloading skills!
Interesting read....

THE CASE FOR AND AGAINST TIKKA T-3
16--good read.
Keep trying, 4ager.
Let's see. One of his friends testfied under oath that he carried a tire iron under the front seat of his car. It didn't fit the lug nuts of his car, my 3/4 ton Travelall, or the car driven by the two cops. Your lie is pure fantasy.
I was fired three days after being indicted by order of the city manager, not the chief of police. He made no such statement at the time.
Got anything else ? E

Given the Pros, the cons are not much.

Got anything else ?

How about a big jug of STFU? PM's work like a mofo, maybe you two could take care of it elsewhere, seeing as nobody gives a flying phuqq......
Given the Pros, the cons are not much.

The A7 vs. T3 was a stretch as well....
T3 got the contract for the Canadian Rangers to replace the No4 MKI. Built by Colt Canada with plywood, irons, 2-stage, 3-pos., and extended mag.

Only thing that seemed like a weak link to me is the modular trigger, but they already tested it in extreme cold.

Canadian Rangers approve of smaller, more powerful new rifles

Only handled a few but they seem to have a lot of plastic and a rather over all cheapness to them. I have the same impression of the Ruger American . I'm sure they shoot fine as people say they do and if they were $300 it would be expected but I never have seen them under $500+-so no I can't get excited about them.
The few plastic parts are a turn-off, for me. I suppose they could be replaced. But, if you're OK with a boat paddle stock, will a few more grams of plastic be a deal breaker? smile
Originally Posted by bangeye
Only handled a few but they seem to have a lot of plastic and a rather over all cheapness to them. I have the same impression of the Ruger American . I'm sure they shoot fine as people say they do and if they were $300 it would be expected but I never have seen them under $500+-so no I can't get excited about them.

I feel the same way about the RAR and T3. Highly functional, and both shoot great. The RAR is just less expensive (~$150?) with a lower quality stock and trigger that won't go as low. Seems like a lot of people would rather have the extra cash as RAR are selling like crazy here.

I have a 223 RAR that shoots great but I'm going to send it down the road like the Tikklers. Can't blame anyone that likes either though.
Don't much care for Tikkas or Howas, although just about everyone I know that shoots either, loves 'em to death. But I have abided M788s for the past 40 some years. Go figure?

First Tikka I'd ever seen was an O/U shotgun/rifle combo that a buddy had and that was many years ago. First I'd ever heard of them and we all agreed his Tikka was light years ahead of the O/U Savages at the time.

Hey, if something suits you fine, so be it.

Yeah, I'm sure you hunt in colder weather than I do.

That's funny.
They're fugly but great as a tool. The Italian styling just doesn't cut it for me.

Might get one in 22-250 just because they come in a left hand action.
I don't like the Tikka's price.

The 'pluses' far outnumber the 'minuses'!!

I'm not talking 'beauty' but quality.

Yeah the RAR is right up there with SAKO. smirk

smirk this qualifies for SARCASM !!

Jerry
I've got one in 223 that I like a lot for all the pro Tikka reasons given here, IMO they outweigh the cons by a lot but I hear what you're saying. The Tikka's a keeper but sooner or later I'll probably be getting another 223 that won't be a Tikka.

My complaint is that short bolt lift. I don't like it on ANY brand rifle, though.

I'm a cranky old coot, and I LIKE a 90 degree bolt lift, it's what I'm accustomed to, and I'm not going to change at this point.

That's probably not a cogent reason not to like a Tikka, but it's all I have, since I haven't bought one, ever, or anything except a 788 once, and I gave it to a buddy.
A few years ago I tried a couple and just did not care at all for the "closed-up" receiver style and magazine. Like many things that have gone down the road, kinda wished I'd kept this one. The 300WSM SS Laminate was a heck of a shooting iron and it would be nice to have a detachable magazine rifle now. Wonder how it's doing?

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire