Home
Maybe this has been covered, but news to me. Just available in the Featherweight so far as I can tell. Maybe it'll stick around, maybe not. Not my favorite platform, but I might still be interested. 10 twist.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=001C&mid=535200
Buncha FW's on CDNN. I was worried they were getting the axe
Yeah, I ordered one from the shot show and it hasnt showed up yet. I'm about to say piss on it.
Sounds pretty sweet.
1:10 might as well be a 270.
It was announced at last year's SHOT show as a special run. It seems that each year they release the show's rifles a little bit later. I figure all they have to do is announce the .280 again in January and then maybe they can get caught up.
Originally Posted by 16bore
1:10 might as well be a 270.

It could only dream laugh

Mike
The 280 Rem was dead at birth. It's headspace is difficult brass wise. The Kimber 8400 WSM's beat it performance and weight wise also.

They still can't get the 280's twist right. What is it now?

A slow 1-10??
I have one from '92 ( NH ). My favourite wood/blue rifle.

I've never needed quicker twist for the 150's & 160's I normally shoot. Feeds beautifully, and handles wonderfully in the bush. Has the older open trigger.

If they made a sporter or SS w/ a 24" 9 twist bbl I'd be ecstatic, probably AI it. Realistically the 10" twist works fine for the bullets I'm using.

I've also heard that these Shot Show Specials are slow coming
Originally Posted by Savage_99
The 280 Rem was dead at birth. It's headspace is difficult brass wise. The Kimber 8400 WSM's beat it performance and weight wise also.

A slow 1-10??

[Linked Image]

A slow 1-10??

Do us all a favor, pull your lip over your head and swallow.
Would not mind having a Featherweight in a .280 Rem. With either a 4x or 6x Leupold and Talley Lightweights. smile
The 280 Rem was dead at birth. It's headspace is difficult brass wise.

Now you tell me. I wish I would have known that 30 some years ago. I could have saved a lot of money, and fun.
I bough my wife a low low 5 digit classic featherweight in a 280 and that thing with rl22 and 160gr accubonds is one hell of a shooter!

A slow 1-10??

280 Aficionados fit with that bullet in a Remington 740 automatic!

You want the one with the pressed in checkering.

A slow 1-10??

Talking to yourself now?

A slow 1-10??

Remington 740 BDLs had cut checkering. Pressed checkering didn't hit the Remington line until the 1960s, when the 740 had morphed into the 742.

Please explain your statement; "It's headspace is difficult brass wise.".
Originally Posted by bellydeep

A slow 1-10??

Talking to yourself now?

Easy. He's 80+....
I guess this is a re-intro? IIRC, my bud had one back in the early 90s?
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

He can't because he doesn't know what he's talking about in the first place.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

He's not smart enough to form it from 06s wink

I had a PF FWT 280 back in the 90s but kept the original Remington Mountain Rifle and sent the Winchester down the road.
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
I guess this is a re-intro? IIRC, my bud had one back in the early 90s?

Yes mine was from '92. These are from Shot Show 2015
The Kimber 8400 WSM's beat it performance and weight wise also.

Do tell : 7mm WSM has similar brass issues too
I stopped at the LGS today to check on it and it's looking like Feb, which is a year after I ordered it.
If I didn't have a Remington CDL in that caliber and two Winchester featherweights in 7x57 I would buy a Winchester Super Grade. I just don't know anyone who owns one, sure would like to see some accuracy results.
My Super grade in 7-08 shoots factory 140 grain Ballistic tips into night tiny little clover leafs
Originally Posted by Savageman99
If I didn't have a Remington CDL in that caliber and two Winchester featherweights in 7x57 I would buy a Winchester Super Grade. I just don't know anyone who owns one, sure would like to see some accuracy results.

First, welcome to the fire.

Second, since you haven't been here long, I would change my name.

YOU DO NOT WANT PEOPLE TO CONFUSE YOUR POSTS WITH THOSE OF Savage 99 sick
The Model 70 Featherweight in .280 to me would be awesome. I have a Remington Model 700 in the Limited Edition .280 anniversary model black laminate, stainless barrel and action and I have been offered more Times than any rifle I own to buy it from me. It has a .24 inch barrel and is one of the most accurate rifles I have ever seen. I used it in the field when we were doing a glacier documentary as some thought the dangers of bears was significant. We did in truth see a lot of bears and they never showed any interest in what we were doing. The rifle got fired during those trips about 80 times just to make sure the sight in was still OK. It got subjected to some very heavy handling. There are no marks, rust, or anything to show for all the scuffles. It is a very attractive rifle, I did find though laying on a ice block it was difficult to find as it was almost like a snow camo pattern! I took it back to the home firing range and it shot extremely amazingly small groups right in the center of the bullseye at 200 yards!
To tzone: I am going to guess that you will think it was well worth the wait!!
I wish I had realized that that was available as a Shot Show Special! I asked a couple of dealers about it a few minutes ago, they said they could,not get one as they were all spoken for! I own a lovely JOC Model 70 but intend to turn it over tommynson pretty soon! For my own use the .280 FWT would have got used! Yes the wait on these can be a long one! I have waited for 2 years to get a Model 70 Featherweight Compact in .243. I am wondering what the chances of getting one with the 22 inch barre is, maybe some day on Gun Broker?
Originally Posted by DaveyJ
The Model 70 Featherweight in .280 to me would be awesome. I have a Remington Model 700 in the Limited Edition .280 anniversary model black laminate, stainless barrel and action and I have been offered more Times than any rifle I own to buy it from me. It has a .24 inch barrel and is one of the most accurate rifles I have ever seen. I used it in the field when we were doing a glacier documentary as some thought the dangers of bears was significant. We did in truth see a lot of bears and they never showed any interest in what we were doing. The rifle got fired during those trips about 80 times just to make sure the sight in was still OK. It got subjected to some very heavy handling. There are no marks, rust, or anything to show for all the scuffles. It is a very attractive rifle, I did find though laying on a ice block it was difficult to find as it was almost like a snow camo pattern! I took it back to the home firing range and it shot extremely amazingly small groups right in the center of the bullseye at 200 yards!

pics?

A slow 1-10??

Do you really believe this stuff or are you trolling?
Ordered one last April. Latest I've heard is a February ETA.

Really looking forward to it. Coupled with my 2012 Shot Show Special 257 Roberts, i'll have my favorite rifle in my two favorite cartridges.

Plan on starting with the120 grain BTip in the 280.
Originally Posted by DaveyJ
Yes the wait on these can be a long one! I have waited for 2 years to get a Model 70 Featherweight Compact in .243.

Funny you should say that. PM if you want to know where one is. LGS has one for $849
Originally Posted by southtexas
Ordered one last April. Latest I've heard is a February ETA.

Really looking forward to it. Coupled with my 2012 Shot Show Special 257 Roberts, i'll have my favorite rifle in my two favorite cartridges.

Plan on starting with the120 grain BTip in the 280.

Now if they announce it again, but as 2016 Shot Show Special this time, they will finally be caught up.
Love all bullets .284, hence the name change. Actually the 280 is my all time favorite.
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Originally Posted by Savageman99

First, welcome to the fire.

Second, since you haven't been here long, I would change my name.

YOU DO NOT WANT PEOPLE TO CONFUSE YOUR POSTS WITH THOSE OF Savage 99 sick

Complete!
I'd love one of those 280 Featherweights myself. Be a very slick hunting rifle.
© 24hourcampfire