Home
Posted By: rahtreelimbs Boat Paddle 77??? - 01/07/16
Why do the Boat Paddle 77's command such a high price?
Posted By: False_Cast Re: Boat Paddle 77??? - 01/07/16
Because they're aesthetically unique; durable; and most significantly, no longer made.
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Boat Paddle 77??? - 01/07/16
Plus they are very stiff for a factory plastic stock.
Posted By: bellydeep Re: Boat Paddle 77??? - 01/07/16
Boat paddles are in, man
Posted By: humdinger Re: Boat Paddle 77??? - 01/08/16
same as a nylon 66 mystique! although I wish the value of my 223 would go that high.

Mine shoots great
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Boat Paddle 77??? - 01/08/16
No longer made/collector appeal.
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Boat Paddle 77??? - 01/08/16
I have two and while they are ugly as a crack whore, they just plain shoot. Dropped a Timney in them both and love them.
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Boat Paddle 77??? - 01/08/16

As others have pointed out, they are a stiff stock, durable, and they work. Mine have gone elk hunting 6 times and brought down 5 elk. Would have been 6 for 6 but I fed my .338 WM with .280 Rem ammo this year. The shot was about 100 yards and I doubt the bullet made it that far. Ended up taking the same bull a moment or two later with my buddy's 7mm RM at 411 yards which, for a variety of reasons, was very fitting.

Left to right:
.338WM (semi-custom), .300WM (factory), .30-06 (changed laminate stock, which I kept, for boat paddle)
[Linked Image]

You could run over these rifles with a truck and the stocks would survive.

CrowRifle's "ugly as a crack whore" is a little over the to. different, yes. Highly utilitarian, yes. But they grow on you.

If I ever sell the .30-06 the laminate stock that was on it will go back - I'll keep that boat paddle and mount one of my other Rugers in it.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Boat Paddle 77??? - 01/08/16
They're so ugly you can't make them worse with use and they're tougher than woodpecker lips. I like my boat paddle stock! I call that rifle my "ugly stick".
Posted By: devnull Re: Boat Paddle 77??? - 01/08/16
The "Boat Paddle" was the only rifle that seemed fit to get rid of as it kicked like a mule and wasn't as accurate as I wanted. I don't miss it.
Posted By: TATELAW Re: Boat Paddle 77??? - 01/08/16
I love mine, my shooting partner hates it. It's a 7Mag and I got it cheap. $450 with sling, slip-on Limbsaver, and Simmons Aetech scope. I sold the scope for $100 so that put me at $350 in the gun.

Pros:
Tough as nails - I know it's capable of surviving any hunting conditions that I might ever be in.

Plenty of power - a 7Mag will handle any animal I plan to hunt

Accurate - Easily sub-MOA, with a few 1/2 inch groups to it's credit with both regular and reduced loads.

Cons:
Recoil - That boat paddle stock doesn't absorb much of it, even with a Limbsaver!

Aesthetics - Some call them ugly, I kinda like the look. You'll definitely never mistake it for any other rifle!

Posted By: mmgravy Re: Boat Paddle 77??? - 01/08/16
Have to agree with you on all counts on the stock! But the thing that I like most about the boat paddles is the quietness in the brush around here. The hollow bass drum sound of many of the synthetics is totally gone with the boat paddle stock. It is as quiet as a wood stock when going through the brush.
Posted By: 458Win Re: Boat Paddle 77??? - 01/08/16
For all the reasons aleady posted
Plus your 416 can have the same feel as your 22

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Boat Paddle 77??? - 01/08/16
Because the stocks are made from Zytel nylon, same as hammer handles. You can pound a fencepost in with it, then use the fencepost as a rest, afterward taking a picture to post on the 'Fire.

What's not to like?
Posted By: rem141r Re: Boat Paddle 77??? - 01/08/16
i missed the boat on them. i passed on a bunch years ago and now want a SA stock for my Frontier and find the price is about the same as a mcmillan.
Posted By: longshot3 Re: Boat Paddle 77??? - 01/08/16
I like them on the smaller calibers, but the 338 Win Mag that I once owned really pounded my shoulder! Used to call it the "Splitting Wedge".
Posted By: CBB15 Re: Boat Paddle 77??? - 01/08/16
Yall can have them all. I went down that road. Once.
Posted By: bellydeep Re: Boat Paddle 77??? - 01/08/16
They do kick. The biggest one I have is a 7mm Rem Mag. I wouldn't want to shoot a bigger one.
Posted By: Bluemonday Re: Boat Paddle 77??? - 01/08/16
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

The stock on the Scout is superior in every way.
Posted By: JustLucky Re: Boat Paddle 77??? - 01/09/16
Limbsavers do help. I am glad I bought mine when they were not popular. Since I hunt where 200-250 yard shots are about max there is no need to load to the max. That helps too. Mine is a keeper.

Some guys I know carry their rifles to the field cased. I know that sounds strange, but true. A rifle in a boat paddle is sure not that kind of rifle. And gladly I am not that kind of hunter.
Posted By: toad Re: Boat Paddle 77??? - 01/09/16
the tire tread recoil pad is a big factor in the recoil. a couple of companys make a soft and squishy pad that helps.
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Boat Paddle 77??? - 01/09/16
Originally Posted by longshot3
I like them on the smaller calibers, but the 338 Win Mag that I once owned really pounded my shoulder! Used to call it the "Splitting Wedge".

My .338WM got a Limbsaver pad as part of the build, before I ever shot it.

The .300WM and .30-06 don't bother me. They have the original tire tread Ruger pad and can leave marks if shooting in a tee shirt, but in the field I'm usually shooting with 3-4 layers. At the range I normally use my PAST shoulder pad when shooting any of my big game centerfires to simulate the thickness of cold weather clothing - unless my girls are with me in which case they use it.

If I find another one at a gun show at a decent price it will follow me home.
Posted By: mmgravy Re: Boat Paddle 77??? - 01/09/16
Yes, Limbsavers really do make a difference with felt recoil with this stock.....
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Boat Paddle 77??? - 01/09/16
I never felt they were any stiffer, accurate or durable than the stock that replaced them. The boat paddles are heavier, slick as snot, difficult to put a sling on, and the tiny hard butt pad concentrates recoil into a narrow section of your shoulder. I spent $85 for a better replacement stock from Ruger and sold my boat paddle to a Loonie for $100. Truly a win/win situation for both of us.
Posted By: Deans Re: Boat Paddle 77??? - 01/09/16

[*][Linked Image]

Gave this 7RM to my son. The LOP was too long for me and had to crawl the stock to get good sight picture. Plus, it kicked like a barnyard mule and the bursitis in my shoulder said no more.

Posted By: 338Rules Re: Boat Paddle 77??? - 01/09/16
Originally Posted by longshot3

As I recall, My nickname for that combo was more colorful.
Posted By: Kaiser Norton Re: Boat Paddle 77??? - 01/09/16
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs

My only gripe with them is the sling attachments can be noisy at times. Otherwise I'm happy with the 4 that I purchased. My 22/250 was the most expensive at $425 (used). Wish I'd have bought a few more while they were still cheap. Definitely wish I'd have bought more of the take-off stocks when people were offering them for $30-45..........

Kaiser Norton
Posted By: ScottyO Re: Boat Paddle 77??? - 01/09/16
Cuz I never bought any when they were all over the place up here...ScottyO laugh
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Boat Paddle 77??? - 01/09/16
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
I have two and while they are ugly as a crack whore, they just plain shoot. Dropped a Timney in them both and love them.

I see your opinions differ greatly. I really like the looks of the boat paddle stock. It's the good year tire tread they use as a recoil pad that I hate. The trigger is also very useable with a little tweaking. I would not use a Timney on a Ruger m77 when the factory trigger is so easy to make nice. However, I don't like throwing good money away.. wink
Posted By: bellydeep Re: Boat Paddle 77??? - 01/09/16
Originally Posted by Bluemonday
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

The stock on the Scout is superior in every way.

TAK! It is really you!!!!

Now GFY!
Posted By: Fotis Re: Boat Paddle 77??? - 01/09/16
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs

Because there is no accounting for taste? sick
Right up there with Glock for beauty! grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRclDOGstKw
Posted By: rahtreelimbs Re: Boat Paddle 77??? - 01/09/16
I had a pair of the boat paddle 77's in 308 win. and 338 wm. Both were very accurate. Should never had let them go !
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: Boat Paddle 77??? - 01/10/16
Saw a bunch at the gun show yesterday for a grand....
I gave less than 200 for my 22 ....
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Boat Paddle 77??? - 01/10/16
As long as we're showing pictures:

2007, MKII .300WM, 180g North Fork SS, 260 yards:
[Linked Image]

2010, MKII .30-06, 150g Nosler AB, 272 yards:
[Linked Image]

2011, MKII .338WM, 225g Nosler AB, 262 yards:
[Linked Image]

2012, MKII .300WM, 180g Barnes MRX, 400 yards:
[Linked Image]

2013, MKII .338WM, 225g Nosler AB, 487 yards: