Home
Posted By: Full3r 375 Ruger or H&H - 01/28/16
Decided to break down and buy a nice big bore to get that covered. want something in 375 caliber and would mostly be a plinker with plans to hunt alaska in a few years. I reload so ammo cost not as big of a concern as brass availability. What are the pros and cons of the 2 listed above?

Who has rifles so chambered and what do you think? found a Ruger guide gun localy for around 700 but really prefer the look of blued steel and walnut so have been thinking about the Winchester Safari of a CZ 550 either in the lux stock or the american version.

Thanks for the input
David
Posted By: southpawhunter Re: 375 Ruger or H&H - 01/28/16
Being a lefty, rifles for the Ruger round were easier to come by. I have no regrets. My LH Ruger African is amazingly accurate and dependable. I did put it in a McMillan stock and took it to Mozambique for cape buffalo.
I have not had any problems obtaining reloading components.
Posted By: jmo1754 Re: 375 Ruger or H&H - 01/28/16
HH for the nostalgia. Grafs has brass as do many other place. THat said I am sure blued and wood will work and has worked but if Alaska is the place on the list I would look towards an all weather tp
Posted By: memtb Re: 375 Ruger or H&H - 01/28/16
As long as your a handloader and have plenty of brass,it's pretty much "a wash"! But,if you travel(air/overseas,ect.), the H&H may prove to have an advantage. memtb
Posted By: tarheelpwr Re: 375 Ruger or H&H - 01/28/16
I picked up a CZ 550 in 9.3x62 and couldn't be happier. Recoil is more enjoyable and unless you need to meet bore requiements in Africa, there's no practical difference in the 9.3 and the .375.

That's an option. Also, with that being said, I also knew a 404 is somewhere in my future. I would have potentially gone with the H&H if it was going to be my largest.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: 375 Ruger or H&H - 01/28/16
H&H in the Winchester Safari.
Posted By: EdM Re: 375 Ruger or H&H - 01/28/16
H&H in a Talkeetna.
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: 375 Ruger or H&H - 01/28/16
Flip a coin. What is important to you? Nostalgia? A shorter action? Worlwide ammo availability?
With proper sizing the brass life should be about the same. You may be able to tweek a bit more velocity out of the Ruger but do you need any more velocity?
Find the rifle that you like and fits you or get it fitted. Fit is important in a big bore and makes all the difference in felt recoil.
Go kill stuff.
Posted By: Homesteader Re: 375 Ruger or H&H - 01/29/16
tarheelpwr - +1. 9.3X62mm IMHO is way under-appreciated in the USA. Does its job w/o muss/fuss but the H&H casts a looong shadow. Homesteader
Posted By: Slavek Re: 375 Ruger or H&H - 01/29/16
Every American considering hunting rifle should look at Montana Rifle Company. Interesting offerings though I do not like Marble mechanical sights. One of the odd things they do not offer .375H&H in their 'Seven Continents Rifle', but they do offer .338 Lapua, .338 Norma, .378 Weatherby,..... Absence of old H&H is thunderous.
Posted By: Slavek Re: 375 Ruger or H&H - 01/29/16
Originally Posted by Homesteader
tarheelpwr - +1. 9.3X62mm IMHO is way under-appreciated in the USA. Does its job w/o muss/fuss but the H&H casts a looong shadow. Homesteader

The ammo selection for the .375H&H is better and quality cartridges cost about same as 9,3x62, therefore, there is no point in getting slightly shorter cartridge. If one choses to sell rifle at later time the H&H will appeal to more buyers willing to give a little more for your rifle.
Posted By: tarheelpwr Re: 375 Ruger or H&H - 01/29/16
Originally Posted by Slavek
Originally Posted by Homesteader

The ammo selection for the .375H&H is better and quality cartridges cost about same as 9,3x62, therefore, there is no point in getting slightly shorter cartridge. If one choses to sell rifle at later time the H&H will appeal to more buyers willing to give a little more for your rifle.

Probably so. I tend to labor long and hard on my rifle choices. I plan to keep them.
Posted By: oldman1942 Re: 375 Ruger or H&H - 01/29/16
The 375 H&H will still be around long after the Ruger (and all "modern" new cartridges) are gone and forgotton. (WSMs, WSSMs, RCMs, etc.etc.)
+1 to the 9.3x62. Easy to rebore/rebarrel a cheap used 30-06.
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: 375 Ruger or H&H - 01/29/16
Originally Posted by spalding
The 375 H&H will still be around long after the Ruger (and all "modern" new cartridges) are gone and forgotton. (WSMs, WSSMs, RCMs, etc.etc.)
............Agree that the 375 H&H will be around a very long time as well it should.

Disagree however, that the 375 Ruger and certain WSMs mainly the 300, will fall into the categories of gone and forgotten.

Sales and marketing facts, trump emotions...
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: 375 Ruger or H&H - 01/29/16
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Flip a coin. What is important to you? Nostalgia? A shorter action? Worlwide ammo availability?
With proper sizing the brass life should be about the same. You may be able to tweek a bit more velocity out of the Ruger but do you need any more velocity?
Find the rifle that you like and fits you or get it fitted. Fit is important in a big bore and makes all the difference in felt recoil.
Go kill stuff.
............Fully agree here.....Find the rifle you are looking for that best suites you and your needs and then let the cartridge follow.

Performance on game between the H&H vs the 375 Ruger? None!
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: 375 Ruger or H&H - 01/29/16
I went .375 Ruger, and I'd like to get an H&H just to see what I'm missing. I just simply rebarreled a 7mm RM and had a .375 caliber big bore for less than $600. I've loaded the Ruger from 235 grain mild to 300 grain full power loads. I recommend the 235 grain they're a lot more fun to shoot!

I'd go whichever way vets you into the rifle you want. I don't feel like I've missed out by having the Ruger and not the H&H or 9.3X62. I wouldn't over think it too much.
Posted By: sbrmike Re: 375 Ruger or H&H - 01/29/16
Originally Posted by taylorce1
I went .375 Ruger, and I'd like to get an H&H just to see what I'm missing. I just simply rebarreled a 7mm RM and had a .375 caliber big bore for less than $600. I've loaded the Ruger from 235 grain mild to 300 grain full power loads. I recommend the 235 grain they're a lot more fun to shoot!

I'd go whichever way vets you into the rifle you want. I don't feel like I've missed out by having the Ruger and not the H&H or 9.3X62. I wouldn't over think it too much.

1. What gun did you do this on?

2. Did you have to do any other modifications or change any magazine parts?

3. How does it feed?
Posted By: Powerguy Re: 375 Ruger or H&H - 01/29/16
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
............Agree that the 375 H&H will be around a very long time as well it should.

Disagree however, that the 375 Ruger and certain WSMs mainly the 300, will fall into the categories of gone and forgotten.

Hey, glad to see your still alive. I remember when you weren't.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 375 Ruger or H&H - 01/29/16
H&H in a pre 64 model 70.
Posted By: Full3r Re: 375 Ruger or H&H - 01/29/16
other option is i picked up a sporterized 1917 yesterday in the back corner of a local gun shop for 100 bucks. barrel trimed to 24" and profiled, williams sights, D&T, and nice Fajen stock. have several other 30-06s so thinking of sending it to JES to be a 9.3x62. so now I guess the question is do it on the 1917 or on a JC Higgins Mod 50 with the FN Mauser action?

Thanks
david
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: 375 Ruger or H&H - 01/29/16
I used an old M70 XTR push feed that I picked up for $250 in a pawn shop. The rounds would jump out on the 2nd and 3rd round. I tweaked the magazine box a bit and now they all stay down. Feeds slick now, no other issues with the rifle.
Posted By: longbarrel Re: 375 Ruger or H&H - 01/30/16
The .375 Wby can use H&H cartridges and will give 100-200 fps more with the "improved" brass. I still have some brass, etc. from the one I had some years ago, rechambered from H&H.
Posted By: Omenator Re: 375 Ruger or H&H - 01/30/16
I think it depends more on you rifle of choice. If you get a rifle that has a 375 H&H length action, get that. Get the 375 RUGER if you want a rifle that uses the 30-06 length action. 9.3x62 is also a good choice if you want to rebarrel a favored action that fits 30-06.
There are a number of choices either way, have fun deciding!
Posted By: MadMooner Re: 375 Ruger or H&H - 01/30/16
The CZ Magnum actions are great for boomers, but IMO, too big for a 375HH. I Just don't need that much heft in a 375. If I were to get another, it'd be chambered in the Rigby case.

I'd go 375 Ruger. Maybe a Howa barreled action and get a McMillan stock. If you can stomach Weatherby styling, you could probably find a decent take off stock with some nice wood to go along with.

Lots of Supergrade 30-06's around as well, pick one up and send it out for a rebore in 9.3. Have a flat milled on the old mark and a new one rolled on so it still looks nice.

You could likely find a nicely stocked one and be into a nicely finished medium bore for not a lot of money.

Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: 375 Ruger or H&H - 01/30/16
Originally Posted by Powerguy

...........Came back just for you powerpunk,,,er um,,, powerpuss.....Nice of you to join the thread and contribute so much!!!
Posted By: bearstalker Re: 375 Ruger or H&H - 01/30/16
Originally Posted by Powerguy

...........Came back just for you powerpunk,,,er um,,, powerpuss.....Nice of you to join the thread and contribute so much!!!

The ghost of Mr. Miyagi is back again.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 375 Ruger or H&H - 01/30/16
Originally Posted by Full3r
Decided to break down and buy a nice big bore to get that covered. want something in 375 caliber and would mostly be a plinker with plans to hunt alaska in a few years. I reload so ammo cost not as big of a concern as brass availability. What are the pros and cons of the 2 listed above?

Who has rifles so chambered and what do you think? found a Ruger guide gun localy for around 700 but really prefer the look of blued steel and walnut so have been thinking about the Winchester Safari of a CZ 550 either in the lux stock or the american version.

Thanks for the input
David

There is only one proper .375........

lots of rifles chambered for it, but the cartridge choice is a slam dunk.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 375 Ruger or H&H - 01/30/16

If you knew Spalding was Larry Root, back under yet another alias, would that affect your response... shocked

DF
Posted By: 700xcr Re: 375 Ruger or H&H - 01/30/16
If you can get the Ruger 375 Guide Gun for $700.00 I would grab it! I paid $850.00 for mine 2yrs. ago. I love mine. Loaded 2 different loads that shoot 1/2" groups at 100yds. One is a Nosler 300gr. Accubond chronographed at 2590fps and the other one is a Woodleigh 350gr. PP chronographed at 2390fps. This is out of a 20" barrel. Only modifications done to the rifle was free float, bed action, hone bolt rails, sear and adjust trigger pull to 2 pounds. I have mounted a Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36mm duplex scope with low Alaskan Arms quick disconnect scope rings. This is my dedicated elk rifle with the 300gr. Accubonds. The 350gr. Woodleighs are for heavier game when I decide to go to Africa.
Posted By: ldmay375 Re: 375 Ruger or H&H - 01/30/16
I have both the 375 H&H and 375 Ruger. I appreciate blue & walnut for looks. But, I appreciate stainless and synthetic for my use / abuse.
I have H&H's in Mk X Whitworths and M70 Classic stainless. The 375 Rugers are Ruger 20" Alaskans, an African, and a re-barreled to 23.5" Alaskan.
The Alaskan & re-barreled models have McMillan stocks. These are the 375's that use the most. To me they basically handle like a 338 Win Mag.
I use the 270 TSX bullets and thus far have nothing but positive things to say for it.
As far as bullet performance between the H&H and the Ruger, I can not see how there can be much of any practical difference. Same bullet, basically the same speed capable for each cartridge.
To me it all boils down to the handling qualities of the rifle. I favor the slightly shorter action and slimmer dimensions of the Ruger over the M70 or CZ.
I also have a Safari Classic in 416 Rem & a CZ synthetic stocked, 22" barreled 458 Lott . "My Feel" is I had rather carry the Rugers in 375 Ruger or 416 Ruger (even with the Hogue stock).
And, I had rather carry the 22" barreled CZ over the 24" M70.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the input
David
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 375 Ruger or H&H - 01/30/16
With today's synthetic stocks ( or even those of 20-30 years ago), tossing together a 375 H&H that weighs 8 pounds, all up, or a skosh under, is like falling off a log.So the "shorter/lighter" argument for the Ruger never fell together for me.

I know because I have done it with the assistance of Messr's Brown and Krieger ,bolted to a pre 64 or Classic action, more than 2-3 times,and a long time before there were things like Kimbers and Rugers, etc.

I'm staring at a Krieger 375 10 twist barrel blank right now that would let me build another.

The Winchester factory never quite caught up,insisting on axle thick barrels where they were never needed.The CZ is just too heavy,with more action and barrel than needed.

It took Ruger 25-30 years to catch up to what we were building in the 1980's and the African and Alaskan rifles were more like it,and at a reasonable price to boot. But since I already had what they offered for a long time before the 375Ruger came along, and have been hip deep in WW H&H brass for decades, I sold my Ruger African. There were no advantages to the Ruger offering...for me.

Today if wanting more oomph than the H&H offered, i agree with the gent who said "375 Weatherby",and add the Ackley Improved to the list.Either will goose a 275 BBC over 2900 fps. I could still use H&H ammo in a pinch and can make my own ammo from H&H brass, at will, rather than depend on the factory. I am kind of hands on with this sort of thing and don't like waiting through "seasonal runs" and periods of scarcity.... What the hell is that? Never heard of it before! sick

Nevertheless, the Ruger 375 and the rifles are a solid intelligent rifle and cartridge combo.
Posted By: ldmay375 Re: 375 Ruger or H&H - 01/31/16
Another possible option for a M70 375 H&H is the M70 Alaskan model. These have a 25" barrel and pre-64 style iron sights. This one has a lighter barrel contour than the Safari.
I looked at a SS Laminated model, and I liked the looks and feel.
The SS / Laminated was possibly a previous Shot Show Special, as I have only seen 2ea of the SS here in Ak. Both sold rather quickly.
The blued / walnut version is a catalogued item on Winchester's website.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the input
David
Posted By: Oomingmak Re: 375 Ruger or H&H - 01/31/16
Yes I like those stainless/laminate Alaskans a lot, but they are a rare bird. I have one in .338, but have been unable to find one in .375 that was for sale. I think Winchester screwed up royally when they dropped the stainless/laminate Alaskan model, as I have talked to a lot of people that would like to lay their hands on one.
Posted By: horse1 Re: 375 Ruger or H&H - 01/31/16
Originally Posted by EdM
H&H in a Talkeetna.

That.

I had a M70 SS 375 H&H bedded in an HS stock that shot exceptionally well, the Kimber is it's equal in a ~1.5# lighter package.

I inherited a MK X in 375 that while accurate, has never really "grown" on me.
© 24hourcampfire