Home
I'm thinking the 710/715/770 line of rifles are probably the worst POS ever produced by a successful firearm manufacturer. It's dreadful that these things sell so well and have become so common. I saw at Wal Mart today while buying a Wayne van Zwoll book that 770's are still only 279.99. That of course is the attraction but damn are they ugly! Sorry, just needed to rant.
While I would pick inexpensive scoped Savage instead there is nothing wrong with bargain rifles from: Remington, Mossberg, Ruger,....... They're wonderful tools that can be left in tool shed or in country barn w/o much to worry about. They make wonderful meat rifles for American masses living in the countryside.
You are correct.....and some other Tupperware gun manufacturers also. Buy a used 700 adl for under $500 and be miles ahead. Or an older savage wood stocks gun for about the same. Or a win 70 push feed 80's gun.
The 700 ADL (with scope!) is only 379. 99 at Wal Mart right now. The Savage Axis package rifle is more and the 770 package rifle is the same price. How does one pick one of the others over the ADL?
I had a 710 in 30-06 that was a pretty good shooter. I bought it for $200+/- to use a loaner at the deer camp that I belonged to at the time. Several people used it to punch tags when their rifles or scopes weren't working properly. When I no longer needed it, I traded it for what I had into it and shed no tears when I waved goodbye.
I can see buying one and leaving it at camp.
I meant an older wood stocked adl......
My first deer rifle was a 710 in 30-06. Pulled the trigger 5 times at deer and killed 4. I figure the miss was my fault. It was ugly, heavy, and the bolt couldn't have operated much rougher if you poured sand in it, but it did it's job. I traded it off a long time ago and don't miss it one bit. I'd never put another one in my safe, even as a loaner. I've got an ADL and a couple of Marlins that fill that role just fine.
Yes, they are junk!
I had to buy a cheap one just to try and bought a 7m08 RAR. I was surprised how good it shot and the trigger wasn't bad either.
I don't want any of the current junkers, but they're certainly better hunting rifles than the old, cut down surplus clunkers a lot of us started with, and allowing for inflation, at about the same price point. If they get it done for someone- good.
Can't believe they still catalog the 770. I have several cheap rifles, but that is one I do not wish to own. I do Wish they would have just kept the Marlin X7 instead of replacing with the ugly azz 783.
Why the F anybody would want one of those is beyond me.
I ran into a guy a couple deer seasons ago that carried a 770 7mm mag. He told me it was essentially a single shot because you had to pry the bolt open after each shot. He did say it was very accurate however. smile
About 10 years ago, I was at the Wal-Mart in Durango, CO, when a guy came in and bought a 710 in either 7mm Rem Mag or 300 Win Mag to hunt elk with. IIRC, he had broken the stock on his rifle when he backed his truck over it.
I saw a guy one time who had his magazine duct taped onto his 710. Another bloke told me he had to be careful while cycling his 710 or the bolt pulls free of the gun!
I helped a kid at church sight in his new 770 in .308 last fall. It was the absolute worst rifle that I have ever worked with. Nothing about that thing worked right. Despite me trying to sugar coat the situation the kid figured out that he had a piece of garbage. The gun was a gift a from an uncle for working his butt off all summer at a marina on the coast. Poor kid!
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
Yes, they are junk!

My brother won a 770 and it was definitely JUNK! I would compare it to the Savage B-Mag that came out with he 17 WSM. Not worth taking up a space in the gun safe.

donsm70
Amen!!
I agree, the Remington 770 is the biggest POS rifle i have ever handled..........Hb
I'd take a RAR instead every day.
Seems like the Newer Remington 783 ( Marlin) is a huge improvement ...
I saw a Remington 770 300WM awhile back with the bolt handle broken off.
I work at a Remington service center and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the 710/770 line is the absolute biggest POS excuse for a rifle ever foisted upon the shooting public. The POS 783 is such a huge improvement they may as well be a pre64 M70.
Originally Posted by TheKid
I work at a Remington service center and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the 710/770 line is the absolute biggest POS excuse for a rifle ever foisted upon the shooting public. The POS 783 is such a huge improvement they may as well be a pre64 M70.

The 783 is just a slightly modified Marlin X gun isn't it?
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

The 783 is just a slightly modified Marlin X gun isn't it?

Yes, they basically took a Marlin X gun and dipped it in ugly and stamped Remington on it.
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
Yes, they are junk!

Pretty much sums it up...

My ? Is, Is the 770 worse than the 710?

I don't own either and have no intention to.
I'll pick up just about anything in the rack for a look-see, but I let the 783 lay. Oogly to the max,

Yes, they basically took a Marlin X gun and dipped it in ugly and stamped Remington on it.

laugh
Originally Posted by MagMarc

laugh

He forgot jacking up the price.

wink
Originally Posted by moosemike
I ran into a guy a couple deer seasons ago that carried a 770 7mm mag. He told me it was essentially a single shot because you had to pry the bolt open after each shot. He did say it was very accurate however. smile

A couple of weeks ago at the range, a fellow couldn't open the bolt on a 770 after shooting maybe 6 shots. He tapped on it to open and the handle broke off! It really looked like it was epoxied on and had a thin, round, piece of metal in the center. I can't describe it any better as I've never seen anything like it.
I took a good look at a 710 when they first came out and decided they were a good excuse to buy a used rifle or none at all. With the pressed-in barrel they are definitely a disposable rifle.

The later generations have not impressed me favorably either.
With RARs that look pretty decent available at low prices, and especially internet Howas for $350, I can't see wasting money on this sort of crap.

laugh
© 24hourcampfire