Home
Alright folks, its that time of year again. Our deer season is over and I figure it's over for most folks. So, what cartridge did you kill a deer with this season that you've never used before?

My list:
26 Nosler
220 Wilson Arrow
7mm-08 Rem

My only buck was with the 220.

[Linked Image]
.30-06
Nice buck!! Not likely to christen many new calibers my used list is pretty long..
30-30 Winchester

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Two NICE bucks!
I used a 6.5 SAUM to take a mule deer buck in Montana, an antelope doe in Wyoming, plus a whitetail buck and button buck here in Missouri. I figure I broke that rifle in pretty good. 130 gr JLK VLDs at 3150 fps by the way.
338 Federal for me. Shot a nice PA 8 point on the last day of the season with it. 210 grain partition did its job nicely.
.280 Rem. here. Toted my 99 in .375 Win. but never got an opportunity.
6.5 Creedmoor (x3)

500 S&W (x1)
280 AI
My Son decided to christen my .25-06 !

[Linked Image]
6.5 Creedmoor. (x3)

[Linked Image]

I went retro this year.
257 Roberts and 270Win.
Remington LRR-30-06
Ruger GSR-308

They were used on pigs.
Nice bucks guys!!! Never will tire of looking at that buck SKane.

4x4 whitetail with a .220 Swift here....

35 Whelen x2

[Linked Image]
7x57 with a old Weaver 4x and a 160 gr Sierra GK.

[Linked Image]

Broke the 243AI chambered XP100 in on one coyote and one doe...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

CR

6.5x55 Swede

[Linked Image]
Killed stuff with three new rifles this year, but none were in new-to-me chamberings. The 260, 7mm-08, and .308 are all ones I've used before to good effect.
been hunting for some 55 years now have used almost anything u can name. but the last 15 years i have exclusively used a 270,now i own 5 270s and use them all. a ruger american,a savage 110,a s$w ibolt,2 different mossbergs.also i have a 243 rem 700 that i wpuld like to use,and a new savage axis 2 xp 223 that shoots 70 gr sp,but thats next year
One of the bucks I took was this buck (The other was a 4 point with my trusty 270 with my second tag). 4x5 Idaho muley in Idaho's Frank Church Wilderness. Taken with a Tikka 300 wsm, 180 accubonds at 3000 fps. I then proceeded to loan the rifle to a friend who shot a deer and elk with it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
7mm-08AI, first mule deer, also first animal taken with a Scenar - 150grn ScenarL....

[Linked Image]

David
Originally Posted by mmgravy
Never will tire of looking at that buck SKane.

You're likely the only one. laugh
.35 Whelen
1.) whitetail doe
1.) 8 point whitetail buck
Blackout. [Linked Image]
Guess I'll add this one. My nephew with his first deer with his new Model 7 in 260Rem.

[Linked Image]
I couldn't find a buck in Missouri to wear my tag but I did manage to run some 3/8" holes in some meat deer with my new Ruger African Hawkeye 9.3

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by ringworm
Blackout. [Linked Image]

AWESOME !!
Originally Posted by TATELAW
Guess I'll add this one. My nephew with his first deer with his new Model 7 in 260Rem.

[Linked Image]

& AWESOME again !
For nearly 20 years I hunted my rusty 700 in 30-06

Running 150's it has killed everything from p-dogs to elk in the USA and eleven different species of plains game in South Africa......but it hates 180's

So I put together a younger version of the same....

Green and mean for 180's....still in the same ol 30-06

It would get its first trip this past fall

[Linked Image]
It would fire two shots in very close succession on this trip....public land,diy,walk in with two great friends from AR and 24

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nothing this year.
.257 Roberts last year and 7.65 x 53 the year before.
I might do 9mm this year for plinking loads.
Remington 722
300 SAV
2 does

[Linked Image]

Too cool!
Kimber Montana 308 X 5....reduced recoil 130gr Barnes felt like a 243..
243AI:

[Linked Image]
I didn't christen a new to me cartridge but I did christen a new to me rifle. I had gotten a Remington Model 30, one of the first models with the dovetailed receiver sight in 30/06. It was probably made in the early 1920's. I love the looks of classic old hunting rifles and really like using them as they were issued. The only concession I made was using some Remington 125 grain ammo in it. Not because of the reduced recoil but it sighted in dead on at 100 and shot great. I've never used that load before, if that counts. The reduced recoil was nice as the butt plate
is the same one used on my Remington 14 1/2, 44-40. Small and steel.
280 AI

Made a doe look like she swallowed a watermelon.
.338 Winchester Magnum
I've had a 30-06 for a couple of years but had never hunted with it until last weekend.Popped a coyote and a spike buck,now I know it will kill something.It might get to go again next year.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
260 Rem, Blacktail buck
30-338 Lapua AI, bull elk
Always been a long action guy. During the off season, I put together a .308 and bought my youngest son a .243. My son pulled the trigger on his first deer:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and I broke in the .308:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

6.5 RUMLN. Barnes LRX 127 @ 3,255 feet per second.

[Linked Image]
300 blackout. skunk, coyote and a doe

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I bumped off one doe with a 300 blackout, and two more with the 260 Remington. First deer I have taken with both those cartridges.

I predict there will be more. smile
No dead animal pic but I used my Ruger All-Weather .280 Remingtton and a 140g AccuBond for the first time this year. Took a WY doe antelope at 373 yards.

Scope is a Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield II with Ballistic Plex reticle.

[Linked Image]

son-in-law #2 also christened his rifle, a walnut/blue Ruger Hawkeye in .30-06. He took his first western animal, a WY doe antelope, at 300 yards with the .30-06. Don't recall the load.

Like my rifle above, the scope was a Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield II with Ballistic Plex reticle but in blue..
I harvested my first animal with the 35 Whelen (250 partition). It was my first time hunting deer with the rifle and I took this doe. The blood trail was like a waterfall. She tasted very good.

[Linked Image]
So, what cartridge did you kill a deer with this season that you've never used before?

None in 2015 but I broke out a Rem M 6 in 270 W that I hadn't even shot since 2002. It still works.

[Linked Image]

Even with HI shoulder shot.

[Linked Image]

For 2016 I hope to blood a 284 W-- PLUS a Rem M 6 in 30-06, (6-06) that's new to me.

The last 'new to me cartridge' I christened was a 6.5X55 in a Win 70, XTR FTWT in 2012.

[Linked Image]

Normally I blood different rifles more than new cartridges.
Sorry for the variant.

Jerry
My 10 year old son Henry with his .260 Rem. His first hunting season and the first .260 in our household. I'm now a believer in the 6.5 and building his little brother one as well.

Here's Hen with his first MT buck he shot in October...
[Linked Image]

Here's Hen's second buck in Alabama last week...I'm one proud dad, obviously!
[Linked Image]
That's FANtastic! !

Tell him congrats for me.

Jerry
Same here, I end up with multiple rifles chambered the same,
so it's usually just blooding a new rifle.
This years, a bobcat, deer, and a coyote notched up for the newbie smile
It's a 300 H&H
[Linked Image]
J D W-

KOOL ! !

I had a few # 1s but they had the Semi-beavertail forend & 26" blls. I always wanted a 1 AB in 22" bll. with the A H forend. Things just never worked out.

Today I will not pay Ruger's MSRP + the AB isn't available as far as I know.

Jerry
jwall, I hear ya on the msrp... I was lucky to get into most of mine before they went crazy. The one in the picture here bought used from a campfire member

The timing never worked out right when I was looking for one, but the fellow El Numero Uno who post here can hook you up with about anything if you're patient. His website is called Classic Sporting Arms I believe.
jdw -

Thnx for the info.

Just what I 'need'........ encouragement grin

You enabler laugh

Jerry
Originally Posted by roundoak
30-30 Winchester

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I really like the rifle. I need one of those in my collection. Deer ain't bad neither..........
jeff, sharp rifle, I have one just like it.. Next year it should be back in rotation...
Originally Posted by FLNative
Always been a long action guy. During the off season, I put together a .308 and bought my youngest son a .243. My son pulled the trigger on his first deer:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wow, That's a cool first, for sure.

Mount looks "UBER" too.
Originally Posted by Hess
My 10 year old son Henry with his .260 Rem. His first hunting season and the first .260 in our household. I'm now a believer in the 6.5 and building his little brother one as well.

Here's Hen with his first MT buck he shot in October...
[Linked Image]

Here's Hen's second buck in Alabama last week...I'm one proud dad, obviously!
[Linked Image]

I LOVE this stuff.

His first, looks just like my first !

You know a .243 woulda worked, right ?

wink
Please extend my heartfelt congratulations to young Mr. Henry. I was fortunate to use a 260 for the first time this fall too.

I think he did a fine job, and here's hoping for continued success for Henry!
I was fortunate to take two bucks with two very cool old cartridges, both firsts for me. The first was with a 9X57 Mauser using a 250 gr Hornady round nose:

[Linked Image]

The other was with a 250-3000 using a 100 gr Hornady Interlock. The bullet went in behind the left shoulder, broke the right shoulder, and ended up under the skin. If you look closely at the photo, you can see the lump under the skin where it stopped:

[Linked Image]
Thanks guys! Henry is a hunter...I'm really lucky he's taking to it. His little bro Rudy is a total killer at heart, at 7, he's so with it. I'm taking him to AL next January. Speaking of 'new,' here's Henry with his first goose on the Missouri River near Craig, MT shot with his 28 guage! He and Rudy are soooo intrigued by his first, dead goose.
[Linked Image]

Not trying to brag, but I love seeing all of the youngin's taking to the field. A first is a first, we all remember them and thanks for sharing!

New 2 99s: What's a .243? smile I drank the .260 kool-aid...I love .243's too. I could sway like the grass in the wind between these cartidges!

Dang, life is good.

SKane's uncles 870 slugger. I've taken several deer with 00 buck but this was my first with a slug AND it was my first Iowa deer. Can't wait to head back to Iowa with it...
[Linked Image]
I had never shot anything with a 270 Win until this last May when I bagged this bear. Shot a bunch of deer with the 260 Rem but have shot lots of animals with that round.

[Linked Image]
Congrats. - Nice Bear

Jerry
Originally Posted by gunnut308
SKane's uncles 870 slugger. I've taken several deer with 00 buck but this was my first with a slug AND it was my first Iowa deer. Can't wait to head back to Iowa with it...
[Linked Image]

I don't see an exit wound. Did the slug not exit? What type of slug was it?
6.5x284 for me. Took 3 antelope, a mule deer buck and a bull elk with it and the 140 AMAX, plus a couple coyotes.
I just realized I also killed a Whitetail buck with my 6.5x55, which was a first for me.
358 Win
303 Savage

Both bucks. Both with Savage 99s.
Originally Posted by whitebread
[Linked Image]

I don't see an exit wound. Did the slug not exit? What type of slug was it?

Exit is on the opposite side. Those big-azz Midwest deer ain't no joke, tough critters to say the least. I use 2-3/4" Hornady 300 grain SST and it does really well. Gun shoots 2" at 100 yards with these if I hold it tight. Recoil is there also cry

[Linked Image]

laugh laugh

Yep - I saw the evidence of the EXIT yesterday.

smile smile

41 Magnum. 210gr XTP out of a Smith and Wesson 4inch Mountain Gun.
Also 2 antelope does earlier with a 25-06.
[Linked Image]

Man, if that gun could talk. LOL
Glad you're continuing its slaying ways!
I used my 45 colt Bisley Blackhawk to take a 7 point at 55 yards. I used a cast 325 grain bullet at a mv of 1100fps. Now that was a rush!
257 Roy which makes things pretty simple for somebody not that good at judging distances.

40-72 in an original 1895...

[Linked Image]
Sorta a campfire rifle, Tikka superlight .223 painted by Darren75 and wearing 16bore's modified talleys

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My best bobcat by far
Didn't see a buck I wanted to shoot this year but did blood my 6.5x47 on this 'yote. 130gr VLD at 268 yards.

John

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Used a .223 for the first time on deer and finally broke in the 25-06. Both on nice does.
7mm-08 in a Tikka T3 super light.
25-06. Remington mountain rifle. Blacktail buck

[img:center][Linked Image]102_2123 by Brant Lindquist, on Flickr[/img]
Originally Posted by shrapnel

[Linked Image]

Sweet rifle and nice buck!
6.5 SAUM with 140 vld.

[Linked Image]
Bought a marlin 336A in 3030 to scratch the itch and used some of those hot hornady LE rounds. They work well. Took a buck at 220 yards with it and 3030 will do the job.

I shot two more deer with my 3006 and you can see the difference in knock down power though. I've scratched the itch for the 3030, but I will probably will default to my 3006 because I get mixed long & short shots. Just use the 3030 when I'm in chip shot stands.
I fine-tuned a Marlin XS7 in .308 on this young GA hog:

[Linked Image]

165 TSX at 25 yards, way over penetrated.

FC
Very old, NH issued civil war musket bored to smoothbore...

.615 round ball, ain't very accurate, but I can get close most of the time...

It actually went off when it needed to and put a hole in the heart of the spike.

Originally Posted by shrapnel

[Linked Image]

Dang you got some cool old rifles....
Remington Model Seven 7mm SAUM. Two 8 points and a coyote.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

2nd 8 pt.

[Linked Image]

The coyote was toting a front leg of a whitetail.

[Linked Image]
Congrats N2TRKYS - but you SURE messed up that coyote's plan.

Jerry
Originally Posted by jwall
Congrats N2TRKYS - but you SURE messed up that coyote's plan.

Jerry

Thanks. I shot the coyote about an hour before the 8 point came through. I usually leave after I shoot, but maybe I should hang around more often. laugh
1 doe with 300 ultra mag
Originally Posted by Okbow87
6.5 SAUM with 140 vld.

[Linked Image]

That's a dandy whitetail. And a good photo too. Congrats!
I got to christen my 7mm MSM...

[Linked Image]

Can't wait for next fall...
© 24hourcampfire