Home
Posted By: longshot3 Ranger Arms, Texas Magnum? - 02/03/16
While at a local shop, I ran across one of these. Never seen, or heard of them before. The rifle is a left handed 7mm Mag, with an early fiberglass stock. On the side of the receiver it's stamped Texas Magnum. The bolt body is huge, with three locking lugs. Looks very beefy. Pretty much bought it on "cool factor"!

I have read, now, that they were made from 1968-1978 and only 4000 were produced. Mine is a three digit serial number. I'm not a lefty, but I'm going to put a scope on itand see how it shoots.

Anyone else here have one?
Posted By: djp Re: Ranger Arms, Texas Magnum? - 02/03/16
I had an Alpha Arms 1 for a while. They came after the Texas Magnum, also designed by Homer Koon. It was a nice little rifle....had a very similar bolt, but most were short actions.
A friend of mine had one of those. It was a 7mm rem mag, with a laminated thumb hole stock.

Oh, Pics or it didn't happen.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Oh, it happened! lol

Anyone know what kind of fiberglass they used back then? Brown? MPI?
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Ranger Arms, Texas Magnum? - 02/04/16
That's is a neat rifle.
Posted By: abilene Re: Ranger Arms, Texas Magnum? - 02/04/16
These are very nice rifles. I have a unfired 7mag with full length tiger stipe in stock. It was reasonably priced on gunsinternational and bought it due to the great wood stock and being unfired. I have seen a few for sale over the years and would not hesitate to buy another. And yes the bolt body is large diameter. Many came with thumbhole stocks. Enjoy your rifle.
Originally Posted by djp
I had an Alpha Arms 1 for a while. They came after the Texas Magnum, also designed by Homer Koon. It was a nice little rifle....had a very similar bolt, but most were short actions.

I've had two, first a .270 which I traded for this .338-284 Alaskan. It's SS and has a dense laminated stock. The design is unique. The stock has aluminum bedding blocks fore and aft of the mag. The trigger assembly/tang floats behind the rear bedding block.

I understand they used Douglas barrels and this one is very accurate, really likes 160 gr. TSX.

Quality is very high.

And yes, this is a factory chambering.

I'm not using it, too many other projects.

I could be traded out of it, dies, brass and bullets... blush

Rear express sight has never been cut for zero, is flat across.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nice rifle there!
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Ranger Arms, Texas Magnum? - 02/04/16
I remember the magazine adds for the Alpha rifles using dollars bills all up in down the rifle showing the free floated areas
Yeah.

Just those two bedding blocks. Actually a very unique and innovative design.

DF
© 24hourcampfire