Home
Posted By: 260Remguy WSSM owners, UNITE! - 02/09/16
Unite AND contact Olin's management.

If you go to www.olin.com, there is a contact form at the top of the "contact us" page. Please use that form to ask for a seasonal run of WSSM ammo and brass, so that scalpers won't have an open season on WSSM owners.
Posted By: southtexas Re: WSSM owners, UNITE! - 02/09/16
260: I emailed them a while back and was "promised" a seasonal run in 2016. We'll see.
Posted By: peeshooter Re: WSSM owners, UNITE! - 02/09/16
They should have made a 6.5 WSSM.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: WSSM owners, UNITE! - 02/09/16
There will be a meeting of all owners in the phone booth at 6th and Main next Tuesday at 9:00 AM. smile
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: WSSM owners, UNITE! - 02/09/16
The six guys who regularly posted on WSSMZONE will be there!
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: WSSM owners, UNITE! - 02/09/16
Originally Posted by peeshooter
They should have made a 6.5 WSSM.

And 270, 7mm, 30, 8mm, 338, 358, 9.3mm, 44, 45, and 50 too!

An entire family of dwarf cartridges!

Posted By: peeshooter Re: WSSM owners, UNITE! - 02/09/16
50 WSSM now that I'd buy!
Posted By: bearstalker Re: WSSM owners, UNITE! - 02/09/16
A local store has 223 and 243 WSSM brass. Who needs some?
Posted By: AggieDog Re: WSSM owners, UNITE! - 02/09/16
Now why did we want a 6mm-06?

Just kidding!
Posted By: SKane Re: WSSM owners, UNITE! - 02/09/16
Originally Posted by 5sdad
There will be a meeting of all owners in the phone booth at 6th and Main next Tuesday at 9:00 AM. smile

laugh
Posted By: Josh Sorensen Re: WSSM owners, UNITE! - 02/10/16
I used my googe fu to find 13 bags of 243 WSSM brass the other day. sadly it is all spoken for. During the search I found a local shop who could order 20+ bags of 223 WSSM brass. If you guys are interested in the 223 WSSM for $60 a bag of 50, messege me and I’ll give you their contact info

Posted By: 260Remguy Re: WSSM owners, UNITE! - 02/10/16

Be careful what you wish for, as B&M's 50 Super Short Magnum exists and if you have a Winchester/USRA 70 WSSM action and around $1K, SSK will build a B&M Super Short in .458", .475", or .500" bore for you.

www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com

Or, you could simplify your life and just do a WSSM in 500 S&W.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Be careful what you wish for, as B&M's 50 Super Short Magnum exists and if you have a Winchester/USRA 70 WSSM action and around $1K, SSK will build a B&M Super Short in .458", .475", or .500" bore for you.

That 475 always tempted me. Being able to use the 480 Ruger bullets or some of the 470 Nitro bullets made it actually semi-practical. I think Michael had really good results using the Speer Gold Dots in that little gun.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: WSSM owners, UNITE! - 02/10/16
well I don't need a WSSM but the link is useful. I need some .218 Bee brass.
I asked the guy at Winchester/Olin who I spoke to yesterday if they could run ammo and brass for the following:

218 Bee, 219 Zipper, 223 WSSM, 225 Win, 243 WSSM, 256 Win Mag, 25-35 Win, 25 Rem, 250 Sav, 257 Roberts, 25 WSSM, 30 Rem, 303 Sav, 307 Win, 303 British, 32-40, 348 Win, 356 Win, 358 Win, and 38-55.

He said that the WSSMs were in the production queue starting in March 2016, but he didn't say anything about any of the other cartridges.
Originally Posted by MileHighShooter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

That 475 always tempted me. Being able to use the 480 Ruger bullets or some of the 470 Nitro bullets made it actually semi-practical. I think Michael had really good results using the Speer Gold Dots in that little gun.

I think that I spoke to Michael once, and once was enough for me.
Posted By: sqweeler Re: WSSM owners, UNITE! - 02/10/16
How about 375 Win.
Posted By: Boykin Re: WSSM owners, UNITE! - 02/10/16
what is the address of the wsssmzone?
Originally Posted by sqweeler
How about 375 Win.

The 375 Win is too long for either the Browning or Winchester/USRA WSSM actions.
Originally Posted by Boykin
what is the address of the wsssmzone?

A few years ago, www.wssmzone.com, was THE place for WSSM shooters to share WSSM information, but it no longer exists.
Posted By: 16bore Re: WSSM owners, UNITE! - 02/12/16
Winchester Suckass Short Mag. Imagine if they'd put the effort into something worthwhile.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: WSSM owners, UNITE! - 02/12/16
The WSSM thing is one of those, "if you never tried it, you can't understand it" sort of things. For those of us who bought into the WSSM, many of us appreciate the big performance in a smaller package the WSSMs offers.

In the comfortable world of 20/20 hindsight, the WSSMs weren't successful, but what part of that was due to them being introduced close to the end for Winchester/USRA, when QC could be iffy?

Or, was Winchester/Olin's failure to offer a better selection of standard grade/priced ammo for the 25 WSSM a contributing factor?

Or ????????????????????????

We WSSM owners who have loaded for our 223/243/25 WSSMs are generally pretty loyal, although some of us find it difficult to stay loyal when Winchester/Olin has neglected us for so long.
Posted By: WranglerJohn Re: WSSM owners, UNITE! - 02/12/16
When I became tired of messing with the pipsqueak 6mm PPC as a varmint cartridge, I had a super-duper prefit Savage barrel chambered for the .243 WSSM. Ordered a 1:8" twist, for the 62 grain Barnes Varmint Grenade. Threaded the barrel onto a Savage Target Action, and proceeded to shoot a .187" 10 shot group at 100 yards (49.0 grains of Hunter). Killed sage rats out to 300 yards, in a gale occasionally punctuated by passing rain or sleet. From then on it was my new favorite cartridge. The squirrels unraveled, actually disappeared if they had been gorging on wet alfalfa. They popped like a water balloon - I could hear the impact through my ear plugs, sounded like a .22LR going off. Turned the farmer's field into Splat City, USA.

So, I bought every bag of brass I could find. Sat them in the cabinet next to the cases of .348 Winchester brass, the bags of .375 Winchester brass, and those marvelous .357 Maximum cases. Now, I am as obsolete as those cartridges, but will have enough to shoot until I croak. Always buy lots of brass - once the gun writers begin badmouthing 'em they will slide into the valley of the Seasonal Run, or completely disappear as a once great notion.
I bought 10K pieces of Federal WSSM brass when Graf & Son was closing it out several years ago. I occasionally have accurate foresight.

I have rifles chambered for a bunch of obsolete cartridges, some of which haven't had factory ammo or components made since before I was born.
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: WSSM owners, UNITE! - 02/12/16
The .243 WSSM is fugging amazing...

I've killed everything from prairie dogs to Mule Deer with it. It's my favorite coyote rifle.

I've got about 500 pieces of brass and anneal on every loading....
I have some WSSM brass from my pdog rifles that has been loaded 9x. Out of the original 300 cases for a 70 Coyote parts gun, I've still got 290 in service, 5 lost to shoulder cracks and 5 lost somewhere on the Rosebud Reservation in South Dakota.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: WSSM owners, UNITE! - 02/12/16
I sent an email to Winchester asking them to focus on more mainstream cartridges and cartridges that have been around for decades and not worry about some short run cartridge that no one cares about.

They agreed.
Posted By: 16bore Re: WSSM owners, UNITE! - 02/12/16
270 is plentiful, embrace diversity.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: WSSM owners, UNITE! - 02/13/16
Originally Posted by 16bore
270 is plentiful, embrace diversity.

I have 10 rifles chambered in 270; 1x Colt, 3x Remington, 1x Ruger, and 5x Husqvarna. I'm all about diversity, if you consider that having rifles chambered for 56 different cf cartridges is sufficiently diverse.
© 24hourcampfire