Home
Posted By: toa Tell me about the 35 Whelen - 02/29/16

Please school me on the 35 Whelen.

Effective ammo, ranges, etc...
It's my favorite cartridge for elk.

Factory ammo is kind of punky because Remington screwed up again by chambering the pump and semi-autos for the round, just like they did with the .280 Remington. mad Ammo is somewhat underloaded for that reason.
Remington, along with Ruger went with the slower 1 in 16" twist so in theory bullets heavier than 250 gr. may or may not stabilize.

That's the not so good news. The good news is if you handload your ammo, you can gain a noticeable jump in velocity. My personal favorite bullet in my .35 Whelen is the 225 gr. Barnes TSX which I load to 2710 FPS in my custom Mauser. Powder used is Re15. It's something you have to work up to and my load is too hot for a Remington M700 Classic.
Accuracy with that bullet is superb BTW.
Results on elk have been excellent. I've taken five elk since I bought that rifle. Two were one shot kills like DRT. The other three were shot and stopped but not dead thus requiring a second shot. Blame my not so hot shooting on moving game as the three were hit just a bit too far back. Still, they were anchored on the spot and unable to go anywhere. Shots ranges from roughly 100 yards to a lasered 350 yards.
I'm booked for another hunt this coming December and you know the Whelen will be going with me.
I haven't tried them on game but I hear good things on the Nosler 225 gr. Accubond and Partitions. Just my thoughts but unless you know your shots are gonna be on the short side, say 200 yards or less, I'd skip the 250 gr. bullets. Factory 250 gr. bullets only did 2450 FPS from my 24" barrel. Be fine if hunting dark timber. JMHO.
Paul B.
Originally Posted by toa

Please school me on the 35 Whelen.

Effective ammo, ranges, etc...

It's a great hunting round.

But I suggest you do a little searching of your own first; the information is already out there. There have been several threads on the Whelen in the past few months, both here and in the "Gunwriters" section.
It is totally worthless! smirk
The ultimate cumulation of cartridge design...the Chuck Norris of rifles. I usually just walk into the woods, yell "I have a Whelen" and listen to deer fall DRT...rarely have to even fire it.

Necked up 30/06 to 35 cal. Soft kicking, but up to most tasks in North America. A wildcat for years but now offered off and on by major gunmakers and by several Ammo companies. Bullet weights from 200 gr- 250 gr.
I leave barrel twist discussions and its powder capacity to those smarter than me.

ETA: with premium 225 gr bullets I would go after anything in North America at sane ranges.
It's not a 9.3x62 nor a 358 win, or a 358 Norma Mag. So yea you gotta pretend a lot more to be happy with it grin

It doesn't suck . . . grin (because it's not gay like a .270 is)
Small fry those are the Yugos of 35 cal smile
The Whelen is an easy keeper. 250 grain bullets and H4895 or Re15 and the load development is over.

I prefer H4895 and the 250 grain Partition for elk. But pretty sure the 225 grain TSX/TTSX would work just as well.

The Remington factory 250 grain loads are also excellent for elk. They average 2400 fps from my 22" barrel. Handloads will safely get you only 100-150 fps velocity increase. Not enough to shorten the brass life over.

Beware all the internet handload advice.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Tell me about the 35 Whelen - 02/29/16
Mine eats 4064 and 250gr bullets in necked up 270 brass and kills bears, moose, and caribou inside of 350 yards with aplomb. Kicks like a 3006 kills like a 375 or so they say.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Tell me about the 35 Whelen - 03/01/16
It kills stuff if you put the bullets in the right spot. But so does every other rifle cartridge ever made. If you are getting 30-06 recoil you are shooting anemic loads. With 225-250 gr bullets loaded to their potential recoil exceeds 300 WM. A 30-06 loaded with better 200-215 gr bullets will do anything the Whelen will do with 225's up close, and handily beats it beyond 150 yards with less recoil.

If you just want to be different from the 30-06 crowd it is a fun round to work with. Just don't expect to see any dramatic difference in effectiveness.

The 35 Whelen was born in an era of poor bullets where larger calibers and heavier bullets actually made a difference. That is no longer the case.
Fatter, slower, harder kicking .30-06 that doesn't kill anything the parent case can't kill just as well only the parent can do it farther out.
While I’ve nothing against the .35 Whelen and have found them interesting, I've never been able to rationalize getting one. Guess that is because I started with a 7mm RM and didn’t find it lacking for elk. After a couple decades I wondered if I was missing something and got a .300WM. It killed elk just as dead but no deader.

When I decided to go bigger still on a custom build (because I could, not because I needed to), I looked at a lot of options up to .375 Ruger. In the end I decided a .338 WM was a better choice for my needs than anything larger. It wasn’t an ammo issue, because I reload, but rather a flexibility issue. Bullet selection for the .338 ranges from a 160g Barnes TTSX to a 300g Nosler AccuBond. In the end I opted for a 225g Nosler AB (B.C. .550) at a relatively sedate 2742fps and later used it for my longest kill ever, a cow elk at 487 yards.

This last weekend I was looking at a beautiful Remington M700 BDL in .35 Whelen on the used gun rack at Cabelas. While it was interesting, I can’t think of anything it can do that the .338WM won’t do just as well while the .338WM can shoot flatter and deliver more energy and velocity down range. I put the Whelen back on the rack.

Think .35 Remington not 'on steroids' but on 'gamma rays'.
Posted By: STS45 Re: Tell me about the 35 Whelen - 03/01/16
Originally Posted by JMR40
It kills stuff if you put the bullets in the right spot. But so does every other rifle cartridge ever made. If you are getting 30-06 recoil you are shooting anemic loads. With 225-250 gr bullets loaded to their potential recoil exceeds 300 WM. A 30-06 loaded with better 200-215 gr bullets will do anything the Whelen will do with 225's up close, and handily beats it beyond 150 yards with less recoil.

If you just want to be different from the 30-06 crowd it is a fun round to work with. Just don't expect to see any dramatic difference in effectiveness.

The 35 Whelen was born in an era of poor bullets where larger calibers and heavier bullets actually made a difference. That is no longer the case.

How does it beat it past 150 yards?
I'm just spit balling here, but you can get some pretty impressive BC bullets when you get into the 200's in 30 caliber.

By comparison, like weight bullets in 35 caliber have the BC of a brick.
Originally Posted by STS45

JMR40 has stated this several times, as that is what he believes. I've stated with data several times that it takes between 400 yards before the .30-06 with 200 grain bullets @ 2500 fps begin to beat ballistically the Whelen with the same bullet in 225 grains @ 2600 fps. However, I never stated the Whelen kills better than the .30-06 and the only difference you'll ever see is in your ballistic software.
Posted By: boliep Re: Tell me about the 35 Whelen - 03/01/16

If you buy a 35 Whelen, I have 17 boxes of Remington factory ammo in both 200 and 250 grain I will sell.
Posted By: jwall Re: Tell me about the 35 Whelen - 03/01/16
Originally Posted by moosemike
Fatter, slower, harder kicking .30-06 that doesn't kill anything the parent case can't kill just as well only the parent can do it farther out.

After owning one 35 W and I truly wish I had it back...
for nostalgia, the Col, & the KOOL factor....

<<Mike I have come to the same conclusion.>> IMO the 06 with 180 POINTY bullets & 200s the 06 is FLATTER shooting and has more Energy than the Grand Ole Whelen.

I know about E>>but given the bullets perform as designed, they'll do MORE damage OR penetrate better.

Jerry
I agree with Ken Waters that the best improvement for the .35 Whelen is the .338-06. The latter has more shoulder, works with a variety of powders, and has a lot of good, high BC choices with better SD than in .35. BTW, I have had both, handloaded for both, and have ordered a NULA in .338-06.
Posted By: jwall Re: Tell me about the 35 Whelen - 03/01/16
longbarrel -

I am NOT disagreeing w/you but I would like to make 1 point.

I had a Whelen for a a few years and I heard before and since about the lack of a shoulder. And I'd like to say I respect Ken W.

All I can say is that the shoulder or minimum shoulder did not give me any trouble at all. Long case life.

Just an observation.

Jerry
My experience has been that participating in threads like this one makes it far more likely you'll end up with a Whelen. blush

I agree with those who say the recoil is > than .30-06, and likely > .300WM, too. It may not be as, "sharp" as the recoil of the latter, but full-house loads will get one's attention.

And one can always play the, "X cartridge won't do anything that Y cartridge won't do" card... Still, I think it says something that the Whelen still has quite a few devotees after all these years. I did have a sweet-shooting .338-06 for a short spell, but I preferred the Whelen, and sent the other down the road. Either one would have been identical in the field - it was just a personal preference.

I've been surprised by the great accuracy of my Whelens, but apparently I'm not alone in that regard. There was a thread a while back with many folks reporting outstanding accuracy with this supposedly, "big, old, slow, outdated, antiquated, poor BC bullet" cartridge. With the way it shoots, my Whelen would be one of the last couple of rifles to ever leave my possession.

FWIW, I've used 250 grain Interlocks over RL15 to take hogs & a Shiras moose. However, I've recently worked-up a nice-grouping load with the 225 grain TSX over H4895. It shoots well enough to be in contention to go to next week's 24HCF hog hunt.

As for ranges, I generally can't see much past 200 yards, so I do my damndest not to shoot that far if I can help it. Still, one frequently uses the Whelen for stuff that's hard not to see at 200+ yards (like elk, moose, & brown bears), and the drops even at 300 yards are hardly untenable for animals with kill zones that big. For example, the moose was at 222 yards, and was undone by one shot.

When I decided to get mine, I was pushed over the edge by the glowing talk of the Whelen owners, and by the fact that they were selling new 700 CDL's for < $500. It's been one of my most satisfying gun purchases ever.

FC
it's like a mini 50 BMG. whats not to love?
whats with the bashing? i just felt jack roll over in his grave after that 270 is junk comment. the 35 whelen may be the best mid long range elk caliber standardized
Posted By: toa Re: Tell me about the 35 Whelen - 03/01/16
I'm thinking it may be just about perfect for the Pocono mountains here in PA. for deer and black bear.

Unfortunately I do not roll my own, so factory ammo is a must for me.

Maybe I'll send it out to a custom ammo company? Any thoughts?
The 35 Whelen does a lot better than some give it credit for and is fairly easy to get ammo for. As for the 338-06 it works but I honestly prefer my 30-06 over it especially with modern high b.c. 180-210 gr bullets.

For 35 Whelen ammo Nosler, Federal, Hornady and Barnes (I think) make ammo for it the Remington stuff isn't as good but not too bad, it's just under loaded badly. I hand load so can't help you too much more on factory ammo.
Here's what Midway lists, not a bad selection at all.

http://www.midwayusa.com/35-whelen/br?cid=9354
Posted By: tcp Re: Tell me about the 35 Whelen - 03/01/16
Because it has not been mentioned,one advantage to the Whelen is that you can have a lot of practice fun with cheap .357 cast bullets, and a pound of Unique.

As expensive as .22 rimfire has gotten, practicing with a real rifle for less money makes a lot of sense.
Posted By: MGunns Re: Tell me about the 35 Whelen - 03/01/16
Originally Posted by STS45

I was asking myself the same thing.
I still think the Whelen is best as a big critter cartridge. There are a truckload of other cartridges I'd rather deer hunt with.

If I was going moose/grizzly hunting tomorrow or to Africa, the Whelen would be one of my picks.

Originally Posted by Steelhead
I still think the Whelen is best as a big critter cartridge. There are a truckload of other cartridges I'd rather deer hunt with.

If I was going moose/grizzly hunting tomorrow or to Africa, the Whelen would be one of my picks.

I agree for the most part. Bullets like the 200 gr Accubond and TTSX make for some great deer loads and can handle bigger stuff as well. That said I prefer my 260 Rem and the 270 Win for deer but the Whelen works too.
Originally Posted by gerrygoat

I agree for the most part. Bullets like the 200 gr Accubond and TTSX make for some great deer loads and can handle bigger stuff as well. That said I prefer my 260 Rem and the 270 Win for deer but the Whelen works too.

I understand a Whelen for deer in B.C., I don't in Virgina.
Almost 40 years ago, I built a 35 Whelen on a Mauser action for a customer. I liked that rifle. It seemed like a perfect classic and a rifle an old-time rifle crank might use. I liked it well enough that I decided I would make myself one kind of like it and, about eight years later, I did so. I still have it and I still like it. I shoot 250's at 2500 and have never felt limited for the hunting I do. The only game animal I have ever shot at over 400 yards (a mule deer) was shot with the 35 Whelen. Not a spectacular performer in any way but it is reliable.
When I look at this old rifle now, I can see I could do a better job on it today but I like it anyway. It's a keeper. GD
Posted By: Fotis Re: Tell me about the 35 Whelen - 03/02/16
Load up a 200 Accubond with 57 gr of IMR 8202 br at 2800 fps and go kill chit
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Tell me about the 35 Whelen - 03/02/16
I have a Ruger SS Hawkeye in 35 Whelen and shoot Barnes Vor Tex Factory 180 TTSX out of it. I have not shot any game with it but I think it is perfect for deer and bear here in Eastern PA. Shoots real good also.
I bought a M700 in .35 Whelen for black bear hunts over bait. It has taken 3, and all dropped within sight. I use a 225 Accubond loaded to about 2700 fps. The rifle groups well with every load I've tried, including 200 gr Remington factory ammo.

My initial impression of the rifle was that it was accurate, and did not kick much more than my .30-06, but that was with Remington 200 gr factory loads. With 225 gr loads, it definitely has more recoil than the .30-06.

In my experience, the Whelen throws a 225 gr bullet faster than the .30-06 throws a 200 gr bullet. I have made cases by necking up .30-06 brass, but now have plenty of R-P Whelen brass.
I agree that the Whelen has enough shoulder. . .but. . .with mine, I necked the Remington Whelen brass out to .375 and then back down to give a mini-shoulder for zero headspace. After the first firing, the brass was "fireformed" for a perfect shoulder. With the .338-06, I will use Whelen brass, not have to do anything but use the FL die to neck it down for zero headspace and .338 at the same time. But then, with any rifle having more than approximately zero headspace with factory brass, I like to avoid working the brass by firing it with headspace. I don't want the firing pin to shove the shoulder against the chamber, and then after the brass grips the chamber upon firing, the head of the case has to stretch the brass to come back against the bolt face. I do the same with belted magnum cases if the rifle has noticeable headspace.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Tell me about the 35 Whelen - 03/02/16
My observations on the whelen had to do with my brother using it on deer to elk. He preferred 225 grain Noslers and 200 grain Hornadys.
I had built a 350RM on a 600 action before Remington legalized the Whelen. That rifle is as good as it gets in the woods and does well out to 300 yards (though that number may be a little arbitrary). The Whelen did great things for bullet selection in the 350 I only shoot 250 grain bullets - Hornady and Partitons. I'm not seen any reason for the premium Partitions yet though. Bullet selection was poor after Remington dropped their 250 CL's and before Whelen.

The Whelen is better on a long action and the 350 is better on a short a action.

Both great cartridges! But for elk this fall I'll probably will use the 338 WM.
Posted By: jwall Re: Tell me about the 35 Whelen - 03/02/16
Hey Bugger -

Why should we believe you? .....

we can see your NOSE growing when you talk. whistle
laugh laugh

Jerry
Posted By: SKane Re: Tell me about the 35 Whelen - 03/02/16

Yep, my sentiments as well.
Does nothing that a 30-06 won't do, when loaded with heavy bullets.

Posted By: 1Nut Re: Tell me about the 35 Whelen - 03/02/16

I agree.

The Whelen is a great cartridge. I would be happy with one for very large game at closer yardages. It is not a deer cartridge IMO. Even in B.C. it would not be the cartridge I would choose. The 30-06 will do as well and is much more versatile.
Posted By: mart Re: Tell me about the 35 Whelen - 03/02/16
I've had all three of the Whelens, the 35, 375 and 400 as well as a laundry list of standards from 6mm Rem to 375 H&H, including 4 or 5 30-06's. If I were forced to choose one round to hunt all of North America and non-dangerous in Africa, and as much as I love my 400 Whelen, my choice would be the 35 Whelen with a 250 grain Nosler Partition over 56 grains of 4320.

Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Yes it does! The 35 W cuts a 'bigger' hole from start to finish. I think you/we know what a bigger swath does.

Now I no longer have a 35 W and I'm not on a quest for one but it will do more tissue damage from start to finish.

Jerry
Originally Posted by mart
my choice would be the 35 Whelen with a 250 grain Nosler Partition over 56 grains of 4320.

I see that IMR 4320 is still a good powder for the Whelen.

Jerry
Originally Posted by 1Nut

I agree.

The Whelen is a great cartridge. I would be happy with one for very large game at closer yardages. It is not a deer cartridge IMO. Even in B.C. it would not be the cartridge I would choose. The 30-06 will do as well and is much more versatile.

I can tell you one thing, I'm not passing up a deer if carrying the Whelen smile
Posted By: 1Nut Re: Tell me about the 35 Whelen - 03/03/16
Originally Posted by 1Nut

I agree.

I can tell you one thing, I'm not passing up a deer if carrying the Whelen smile

And neither would I. But it is far from being choice #1. However, like I said, it is a great cartridge.
I have used my various .35 Whelens as my primary elk rifles for 20 years or so. Have taken something like 15 or 16 elk, and a couple moose with mine. Shot a few elk with .308, .30-06, 7x64 .270 & 8x57IS and other similar cartridges, and saw many more shot by friends and hunting partners. In my experience, the .35 Whelen with 250 grain or 225 grain strongly constructed bullets trumps those lesser cartridges in every way that matters to me. Full straight line penetration with exit holes, minimal deflection when heavy shoulder bones are hit, never a bullet "failure" due to fragmentation, and shorter flight distance after a shot.
A 9.3x62 would do the same or possibly a tad better, as will the .375H&H. Recoil with the Whelen is less with similar weight 9.3 / .375 rifles.
I really do notice a difference in "Killing power" between the Whelen and lesser cartridges, however I don't shoot at game animals at extreme distances, where some hotshot super fast .300 or .338 magnum with a calibrated turret scope and bipod and range finder might trump its performance. I'm content with hunting for my game, not just sniping at it.
Almost any smaller cartridge is a better choice for deer. The Whelen is a big critter cartridge.
I shoot 250gr. Northforks over RL15 getting 2500fps out of a 22" 14 twist barrel. More than I needed on boar,but perfect on eland, kudu, wildebeast, oryx, zebra. I also brought an '06 along, but the PH kept urging me to "use the 35!" Longest shot was about 225 yards. Some other cartridges would have worked as well, by the Whelen interested me most.
I shoot a Whelen for primitive season down here in MS. It's a T/C Encore and scoped it goes just under 7.5lbs. I shoot 225gr Sierras and believe me it gets your attention when you pull the trigger! I've yet to get a deer with mine but my friends that use a similar setup say it's an impressive killer.
Posted By: jwall Re: Tell me about the 35 Whelen - 03/03/16
Tate -

I know about the 35 W being 'considered' legal in primitive weapon (ML)
season....

Can you Xplain their reasoning (if there is such a thing)?

Jerry
Jerry -

The only reason I've ever heard is to increase the number of deer harvested and the number of hunters. Last article I read stated we need to remove 400,000 deer from the population every year just to keep the herd in check. We average about 350,000. I guess maybe the state decided the old rule about 45cal or larger limited the number of cartridges too much and possibly the large calibers scared off some recoil sensitive shooters. It seems most hunters assume a 45-70 kicks a whole lot worse than it actually does. By dropping down to the 35cal requirement, and opening up the Whelen, hunters got closer to the old 30cal "comfort zone". Also, the larger caliber rounds have a reputation for a rainbow-like trajectory, not like the popular flat shooting 270. This was another drawback that kept people at home during primitive season. The Whelen was considered a smaller round with less "kick" and has a trajectory similar to a 30-06. They started selling like hotcakes and got a ton more hunters into the woods during primitive season. In fact, many hunters I know use their single shot Whelens for the entire hunting season. That was never the case with the 45-70.

My first primitive weapon was a Whelen. From what I understand the primitive season was never terribly successful as far as number of hunters when actual MLs were required. When the state changed over to the single shot break-open rifles in 45cal and larger, all ML owners went out and bought 45-70s. A fair number of new primitive season hunters also got into the game, but primitive season really came into it's own when they dropped down to the 35cal requirement. Last year they went even further. During the second and third primitive seasons, you can use any rifle you choose on private land. Primitive weapons are only required on public land, and there's very little of that around here local to me.
Posted By: jwall Re: Tell me about the 35 Whelen - 03/04/16
Thanks Tate -

Wow that's a whole lot of changes since I hunted Miss. I hunted near Meadville for several yrs.

I'd also prefer the Whelen to the 45-70, mainly for range and better trajectory. I had heard of the changes but I didn't know why.

Thanks

Jerry
I had a pre'64 M/70 rebored to .35 Whelen more than 20 yrs. ago, I have been very satisfied with the loading flexibility of this venerable old cartridge. During the off season I shoot a lot of cast bullet and jacketed pistol bullet loads. Unique is my powder of choice, you get a lot of loads out of a pound. For whitetail deer 225 grain Sierra or Nosler bullets with either IMR 4064 or RL-15 get the job done. Of all the factory loads offered by Midway the Federal Vital-Shok 225 grain Trophy Bonded Bearclaw is my choice. It is an accurate load in my rifle and posesses plenty of knock down power.
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
While it was interesting, I can’t think of anything it can do that the .338WM won’t do just as well while the .338WM can shoot flatter and deliver more energy and velocity down range. .

While true, for some reason, I have never been able to utilize that truism in my purchase of rifles. I've never been able to force myself to use only three calibers/rifles.

Posted By: toa Re: Tell me about the 35 Whelen - 03/04/16
HMMMM, maybe an all arounder candidate. I really had not thought of it in that sense before...

Originally Posted by jwall

Yes it does! The 35 W cuts a 'bigger' hole from start to finish. I think you/we know what a bigger swath does.

Now I no longer have a 35 W and I'm not on a quest for one but it will do more tissue damage from start to finish.

Jerry

Wow, that's almost as good as a Field & Stream answer and about as much bullchit as can be put into 2 sentences.
Posted By: jwall Re: Tell me about the 35 Whelen - 03/05/16

Wow, that's almost as good as a Field & Stream answer and about as much bullchit as can be put into 2 sentences.

That's very observant of you S H.

OTOH I haven't read F S in over 30 yrs so I wouldn't know. Nice of you to keep us updated.

Jerry

No, the Whelen or its ballistic twin the .350 Rem mag which I have is a noticeably better killer on anything larger then a deer. I've owned .30-06's ever since I started hunting almost 50 years ago loaded with all kinds of bullets and have had my .350 for the last thirteen years and have seen without a doubt that a .35 hits harder. So far I've never had to shoot anything twice with that gun. The .30-06 is a great cartridge, one that I really love but it isn't a .35 Whelen (or .350 RM).
You can always count on SH for a derogatory response.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Tell me about the 35 Whelen - 03/06/16
Lot easier to buy ammo for than my 350 RemMag. Not my first choice for eastern deer, but don't let that stop you if you want to use it. Have always thought it would be a great black bear caliber, but haven't used it on bear myself. There's a nice Rem 700 Classic in the classifieds (not mine). Nice gun loony choice for something different than a 30-06. Like said above - 35 Whelen and 350 RM are essentially ballistic twins, one for long and one for short actions. Would probably buy the 35 W if shopping today because of ammo availability, but I bought my 350 RM in 1985 and plan to keep it a little longer. If you're a handloader the 35 Whelen may handle 250 grain bullets better.
I bought my 35 Whelen as soon as Remington made it a factory round and offered it as a 700 Classic.
I have never regretted it.
One of the local gun shop loonies hunts elk every year with a 6mm Remington just to prove something.
For my own use on moose, black bear, elk, caribou
where you may stumble onto a grizzly or hunting deer in the woods where a twig might get in the way just as you touch one off, I think it is about as good as it gets.
I Have never found a bad load for the 35 Whelen.
You may not find it in the manuals but 56 grs. IMR 4320 is a darn good match with a Nosler Partition at 2700 fps out of a 22" barrel.
I have also found Varget to be just as good.
Factory ammo is much cheaper than belted magnums.

AND if you run out of brass you can go to any rifle range and pickup either .270 or 30-06 brass and just run them through your 35 Whelen die and you are good to go.

I know 30-06 users get but hurt and they are just jealous they can't get 250 gr bullets at 2500 fps.
Get over it!
whelennut
Don't forget the 358 Norma mag grin
I don't own a 35 Whelen but probably would if I didn't already own a 358 Win and a 9.3x62. My Ruger M77 358 Win with 225 grain NP's is one the most accurate rifles I own. My 9.3x62 with 286 grain Norma Oryx or NP's is an extremely hard-hitting caliber (I've not taken game with the 9.3 but have with my 358 Win). I can't imagine that the 35 Whelen wouldn't perform equally as well for hunting most game in NA.
Posted By: toa Re: Tell me about the 35 Whelen - 03/09/16
I have a 338 WM as well. I bought a 35 Whelen because I liked the rifle...build specs where perect for me.

I'm just having a hard time giving up the 338wm.
Im in the process now of having a 35 whelen built
Posted By: Axtell Re: Tell me about the 35 Whelen - 03/09/16
Originally Posted by castnblast
I have used my various .35 Whelens as my primary elk rifles for 20 years or so. Have taken something like 15 or 16 elk, and a couple moose with mine. Shot a few elk with .308, .30-06, 7x64 .270 & 8x57IS and other similar cartridges, and saw many more shot by friends and hunting partners. In my experience, the .35 Whelen with 250 grain or 225 grain strongly constructed bullets trumps those lesser cartridges in every way that matters to me. Full straight line penetration with exit holes, minimal deflection when heavy shoulder bones are hit, never a bullet "failure" due to fragmentation, and shorter flight distance after a shot.
A 9.3x62 would do the same or possibly a tad better, as will the .375H&H. Recoil with the Whelen is less with similar weight 9.3 / .375 rifles.
I really do notice a difference in "Killing power" between the Whelen and lesser cartridges, however I don't shoot at game animals at extreme distances, where some hotshot super fast .300 or .338 magnum with a calibrated turret scope and bipod and range finder might trump its performance. I'm content with hunting for my game, not just sniping at it.
Almost any smaller cartridge is a better choice for deer. The Whelen is a big critter cartridge.

My experience exactly on 20 years of moose and black bear. A 250gr bullet between 2400 and 2600 fps just staggers big animals the the 30 caliber and below bullets just can't do, flight distance being important on big animals.
Posted By: STS45 Re: Tell me about the 35 Whelen - 03/09/16
I love the 35 Whelen. I got one several years ago just as a novelty. Decided to take it elk hunting. It was a long hunt and it came down to one shot, at approx 200 yards. The elk was broadside. I hit him square in the shoulder with a 225 grain Accubond and it fell so fast I thought God himself slammed him on the back. Nobody even spoke. We all just sat there looking like window lickers with our mouths wide open. I'd never seen an animal shot that dropped like that. I've since used it on several more elk and at least in my limited experience it hit damn hard and drops them fast. I like it, it gives me warm fuzzies, and makes me sleep well at night so I will keep using it over my 30-06's.
Posted By: jwall Re: Tell me about the 35 Whelen - 03/09/16
Originally Posted by jwall

Yes it does! The 35 W cuts a ***< 'bigger' hole from start to finish. I think you/we know what a bigger swath does>***

Seems as though others validate my post--S H not withstanding !!

Originally Posted By castnblast
I have used my various .35 Whelens as my primary elk rifles for 20 years or so. Have taken something like 15 or 16 elk, and a couple moose with mine. Shot a few elk with .308, .30-06, 7x64 .270 & 8x57IS.

I really do notice a difference in "Killing power" between the Whelen and lesser cartridges,...

Originally posted by Axtel:
My experience exactly on 20 years of moose and black bear. A 250gr bullet between 2400 and 2600 fps just <<staggers>> big animals the the 30 caliber and below bullets just can't do, flight distance being important on big animals.
----------------------------------------------------------

I killed several WT with my Whelen and I saw WT moved sideways as if punched. One buck went STIFF legged like an ironing board and took 2 straight legged steps before falling over sideways.

Jerry
Posted By: RinB Re: Tell me about the 35 Whelen - 03/09/16
I have used a 270/280/7RM on lots and lots of BG for the last 35 years. I have always wanted something bigger but none of the 338's stayed around for long. Their recoil is too violent.

Since building my 35 W I have completely lost the urge for any other medium. I like it much better than the 338 or 375 bores. Very easy recoil wise.

Mine has a 1-9.5 Benchmark. Will group three into .550. It likes Varget and either 225 Sierra or Northfork Bullets at 2750. Much easier shooting than any 338 or 375. I don't see the reason for a 9.3-62 if you live in the US.
I keep telling y'all it's the Chuck Norris of rifle cartridges!
Posted By: RinB Re: Tell me about the 35 Whelen - 03/09/16
I would not hesitant to use it to brain an eley with a Woodleigh solid.

Planned to take mine on a lion hunt but that is problematic for reasons unrelated to the 35 W.
Originally Posted by Flfiremedic
I keep telling y'all it's the Chuck Norris of rifle cartridges!

+1
Posted By: RinB Re: Tell me about the 35 Whelen - 04/25/16
I have had 5 or 6 .338's which are gone, thankfully. Same fate 3 .375H&H's. Gone too are the Wby and Ackley.
The KEEPER: 35 Whelen.....
225 North Forks at 2750 easily with Varget. My choice for lion buffalo and with Woodleigh solids eleys. The African ph's call it the american 9.3-62!
Mine has a Benchmark 1-9.5 twist cm bbl 22", perfect.
Posted By: RinB Re: Tell me about the 35 Whelen - 04/25/16
With 225 Sierra it is about like a 30-06 with 180's. Good to 400 but when it lands it is bigger and heavier.
Posted By: RJM Re: Tell me about the 35 Whelen - 04/26/16
One of my long time hunting partners only has two rifles...a .270 Browning for long range and .35 Whelen 7600 pump for short range...almost all of his deer and the one moose have been taken with the 7600.

He has one load for each gun...the .35 gets the 225 Nosler Petition. All deer have been one shot stops. No shots were over 75 yards. The 900# moose took three at about 35 yards...only walked a few yards before he dropped.

Bob
As much as I like the '06, I would not want to be without a whelen. Bullet placement makes most any caliber reasonable to the game hunted a killer but the 35 seems be an "any more questions" hammer.
i love 35's

i have a 358win, not a Whelen but still a good cartridge.

if you are dead keen on a 35cal and you are a confident reloader, there is a fantastic wild cat built by a aussie shooter Ted Mitchell called the 358 Mitchell Express, it out does the Whelen by a considerable margin that makes it worth doing 150-200 fps gain !!! the parent case is a 8x57 necked up with body taper reduced and a 40deg shoulder

Ted shoots buffalo and scrub bulls with it, has a small cult following in Aus

i would like to build one at some stage
Battered Sav's 185gr ACP's make any 35 a destroyer
I love just about all 35s, but stout 358Ws do as much as I'd ever care to do with a Whelen, unless I went to a heavier rifle. I have '06s and other stuff, and if I used a Whelen for primitive in MS and LA, I'd probably AI it and load it mild....just to stave off single shot headspace issues and save my shoulder on deer and hogs....hence my love for the 358 in ALL....single shots, levers, and bolts. When I can run 225s and 250s to 2400+ from a .358, a Whelen ain't gonna get me much gain for the increased pain. JMO. 358 has less body taper and a better shoulder, naturally, but factory loads from Hornady and Winchester are a tad mild, like the Whelen. I load some stiffer/more appropriate stuff, but I have some double tap 250s someone on here sent me, that promise 2425fps, on the box. I'll probably put a pad on and burn them for the brass....the longer 200-225s will do as much as I foresee a need for. If I was shooting moose/elk/Griz past 200 all the time, it might be worth it. Everyone should have one good .35....no matter how much you'll hear about some 30 being jet as good or more versatile. Who gives a chit? I ain't in it to limit the # of triggers I can pull, just because of some practical ballistics argument for having less guns based on their 'versatility'. A 158gr HP at 3k plus, upside a coyote's head is damned fun. Versatile? Could be.
© 24hourcampfire